PDA

View Full Version : Wouldnt it be cool if...

Markus. D
05-21-2006, 03:07 PM
The main character was silent.

sort of like Caim from Drakengard?

ekinserge
05-21-2006, 03:09 PM

i want a character with a mix of Quina and Baralai...what do you think?...

DeathKnight
05-21-2006, 07:14 PM
I want to see NEW characters

Khaotic
05-21-2006, 08:47 PM
I want to see NEW characters

Skyblade
05-21-2006, 10:55 PM

Or Crono from Chrono Trigger? Or Isaac from Golden Sun? Or Max from Shining Force? Or any of a thousand other main characters from RPGs?

Mercen-X
05-22-2006, 01:19 AM
I can't stand main characters that don't talk. Especially in the games which the other characters speak as if he/she is talking. It's so ridiculously irritating.

Moon Rabbits
05-22-2006, 01:30 AM
No, it wouldn't be cool. it'd suck to the max.

~SapphireStar~
05-22-2006, 01:31 AM
No, it wouldn't be cool. it'd suck to the max.

Skyblade
05-22-2006, 01:50 PM
I can't stand main characters that don't talk. Especially in the games which the other characters speak as if he/she is talking. It's so ridiculously irritating.

IIRC, the original idea of that mechanism was to allow the person playing the game to identify more with the main character: The main character supposedly did speak, but because the words were not specified, the gamer could substitute their own words and mannerisms for those of the characters, and infer from the context of the situations what the general content of the speech should be. The idea had several flaws in execution, but it was pulled off successfully in a few cases, but in other games it either became an annoyance or helped to continue the "somber, silent hero" stereotype.

Khaotic
05-22-2006, 07:16 PM

IIRC, the original idea of that mechanism was to allow the person playing the game to identify more with the main character: The main character supposedly did speak, but because the words were not specified, the gamer could substitute their own words and mannerisms for those of the characters, and infer from the context of the situations what the general content of the speech should be. The idea had several flaws in execution, but it was pulled off successfully in a few cases, but in other games it either became an annoyance or helped to continue the "somber, silent hero" stereotype.
I agree with the main character not speaking is quite annyoing, for example, Dragon Quest VIII. I prefer dialogue over words simply because you get a better feel for the characters, you also get more into the game because its like you're there, hearing their words, though that could just be me.

Miriel
05-22-2006, 07:37 PM
I didn't even play Dragon Quest VIII myself but just watching my boyfriend play it irritated me cause the main character never ever talked. And they skipped over his name during the dialogue too. It just bugged.

I would hate it if the main character for a Final Fantasy game had no dialogue at all.

Skyblade
05-22-2006, 07:50 PM
Hey, I didn't say it was a good idea, I was just giving the reasoning behind it.

Personally, if the game is good enough, I don't mind much. Chrono Trigger, Shining Force, and Golden Sun (both parts) all had silent main characters, but they are among my all time favorite games. As long as the dialogue fits well enough around it, so that you don't dwell on it, it works. But if it is obvious, it can stand out like a sore thumb and really ruin the mood. You should never reach a point where you are actually wondering why the characters don't speak, as such a thing ruins the suspension of disbelief, thus ruining your immersion in the game. It takes a good game with damned good plot and dialogue to avoid that problem.

BTW: None of the main characters in the original Final Fantasy talked... :P

LunarWeaver
05-22-2006, 07:57 PM
I personally dislike it a lot when main characters don't talk... The only games I worked around it for were the Chrono games. I suppose if she went silent I'd get over myself, but it would be relegated to least-favorite of the bunch I'm afraid... Unless she had no voice but lots of inner monologue...but that defeats the entire purpose I guess ^.^;

Anywho, I stand by my initial based-off-nothing assumption she is the only battle character in the game, so I'm sure she'll be a chatty lil' minx.

Skyblade
05-22-2006, 08:11 PM
I personally dislike it a lot when main characters don't talk... The only games I worked around it for were the Chrono games. I suppose if she went silent I'd get over myself, but it would be relegated to least-favorite of the bunch I'm afraid... Unless she had no voice but lots of inner monologue...but that defeats the entire purpose I guess ^.^;

Anywho, I stand by my initial based-off-nothing assumption she is the only battle character in the game, so I'm sure she'll be a chatty lil' minx.

If she is the only controlable character, she will have to speak. FF games have (except for the original [and XI, which I haven't played and don't see how it could possibly follow the standard rules]) always depended strongly on the personalities of the team. Even in Chrono Trigger (which I treat as an FF in all but name), though Crono never spoke, the rest of the team spoke for him. Can you imagine trying to convey all the emotion and depth of an FF character if that character could not speak and you had none of the interaction with other team members that is so prevelant in the FF storylines? It would be nearly impossible to pull it off.

However, the Final Fantasy empire has been built off the storylines and character interactions. I truly don't believe they'll ruin it now. I doubt that Lightning will be the only playable character, and I also don't believe that Square-Enix would have her be silent.

But we'll just have to wait and see...

Khaotic
05-22-2006, 08:19 PM
I think with the games graphics, it would be crazy of them to not have her talk, since you can see her lips so purely and everything, it would be very awkward for her to be nodding her head "pretending" to talk like they do in other games where the main character doesn't talk. They didn't do it for 7-X-2, so hopefully they won't stop.

Aurombadom
05-22-2006, 11:39 PM
Wouldnt it be cool if... Square Enix actually read and listen to our suggestions? :D

LunarWeaver
05-22-2006, 11:50 PM
Wouldnt it be cool if... Square Enix actually read and listen to our suggestions? :D

They DON'T? *denial shatters*

It's good they don't listen to us...Their games would be messy if they did...and contain lots of the word "newb".

I guess when you're as big as Squeenix you just have to plow through and do whatcha gotta do...like make only one playable combatant for FFXIII....which there totally is. Where do I get my information from anyway?

sexymonkey
05-25-2006, 11:58 PM
i cant remember where i read it, but i swear that somewhere it said that the name natch was a mistranslation or something like that

Sephex
05-26-2006, 12:34 AM
It's been done too many times.

jj984jj
05-26-2006, 01:49 AM
No, not in an RPG. It's only okay in games like Jak (well the first one anyway) & Zelda. It defeats the whole point of role playing since then you basically are the character instead of playing him or her.

Markus. D
05-26-2006, 05:16 AM
I guess your right...

Voice Acting is horrible -_-

DeathKnight
05-26-2006, 12:11 PM
I personally love voice acting to death! reasons why:

-It works GREAT in anime (tell me otherwise and I'll think you're crazy).
-Metal Gear Solid WITHOUT voice acting would be CRAP.
-It EMOTIONALLY touches you.
-Who doesn't remember Yuna's voice:love:
-It gives characters COLOR (example: Rikku, Kihmari, Auron!!! Auron! Auron!).

So yes, I want voice acting to the max! Thank god it's the FFX team making this game, and not any other. Cheers! :tonberry:

Moon Rabbits
05-27-2006, 12:14 AM

So yes, I want voice acting to the max! Thank god it's the FFX team making this game, and not any other. Cheers! :tonberry:

The first metal gear solid had very good VA, and the scene where Meryl dies would've been so much less heart-breaking if there were no VO. As would Sniper Fox's death scene, which was the closest any videogame, movie, or book has brought me to tears.

DeathKnight
05-27-2006, 03:59 AM

The first metal gear solid had very good VA, and the scene where Meryl dies would've been so much less heart-breaking if there were no VO. As would Sniper Fox's death scene, which was the closest any videogame, movie, or book has brought me to tears.

yeah...........the Meryl scene had my heart pumping 500MPH......man! those were the good days. Yeah without the voice acting...it wouldn't have been that great. Voice acting is PERFECT for games.

ljkkjlcm9
05-27-2006, 05:10 AM
I want a game where ONLY the main character talked.... now that would be interesting

THE JACKEL

Moon Rabbits
05-27-2006, 06:10 AM
I want a game where ONLY the main character talked.... now that would be interesting

THE JACKAL

That'd be hard to pull off, and eventually get ridiculously annoying.

Markus. D
05-27-2006, 12:24 PM
I personally love voice acting to death! reasons why:

-It works GREAT in anime (tell me otherwise and I'll think you're crazy).
-It EMOTIONALLY touches you.
-Who doesn't remember Yuna's voice:love:
-It gives characters COLOR (example: Rikku, Kihmari, Auron!!! Auron! Auron!).

as long as they dont use british voices... or aussie.

Juniper Jade
05-28-2006, 01:09 AM
I think maybe if they had it where the main character did talk but only when needed to. I don't think that would too bad. Creators could throw in some depth to the character to figure out why the MC acts like that.

Or whatever.

Velocity Eleven
07-01-2006, 11:57 AM

a typical example... "Ah, Link it only costs 20 rupees for a turn fishing. you don't want to? ok then. What? you want the Tri-Force? I'm afraid I can't help you there. What? you want to kill me? oh no, please don't"

drunkymonkey
07-01-2006, 01:26 PM

No. Not only is it possibly we're looking at the first Final Fantasy with only one main character, but to make that character silent is story-suicide.