PDA

View Full Version : Letters

Rusty
05-21-2006, 03:08 PM
I used to write letters to people all the time. Like actual mail - with paper that once used to be a tree. As corny as it may sound there's something about going to your letterbox and finding a handwritten letter addressed to you that's twice as exicting as opening up hotmail and recieving an email. I don't write letters mach at all anymore. I keep in touch with emails. I miss writing letters, I was shocked to realise how long it had been since I'd sat down to write a letter to someone.

Also, Australia Post raised the cost of a stamp from 45 cents to 50 cents and I am still annoyed at them for doing so.

Do you write letters anymore? Do you receive many letters? Who do you write to? Or who did you used to write to? Why did you stop if you did?

Rye
05-21-2006, 03:19 PM
I never really have used mail to communicate, but I do sometimes wish I did, because it really is exciting to receive a letter. :)

Jess
05-21-2006, 04:11 PM
I just use email and instant messaging now. I used to send letters quite a lot, but I rarely send them now.

RSL
05-21-2006, 04:13 PM
I agree with you Rusty that it is really exciting to find a letter in your mail box! But yeah, I don't write letters at all anymore :( The closest thing to that is when I send Christmas cards out for the EoFF christmas card exchange. That is really fun to get all those christmas cards!

Breine
05-21-2006, 04:18 PM
You're aboslutely right. It truly is much more exciting to recieve a real hand-written letter. It's more personal - you know, someone has actually put an effort into sitting down and writing you a letter, instead of just turning on the computer and going berserk on the buttons.

Sadly, e-mail is much easier, and people seem to be lazy these days - myself included. There used to be a time where I recieved some real letters, and I also used to write them myself from time to time... These days, the only mail I recieve are postcards (which are also very nice) and letters from the bank or something dull like that.

rubah
05-21-2006, 04:34 PM
I write letters every now and then.

I love getting mail though ^_^

That's one nice thing about having colleges spam you-- lots of stuff to put in file 13 :D

Perducci
05-21-2006, 07:26 PM
People communicated before the internet? :confused:

Levian
05-21-2006, 07:41 PM
I once put melted chocolate in an envelope and mailed it to Bergen. Maybe I wrote poop on the envelope.

The receiver is actually a member here on EoFF, but she hasn't posted since 2003.

~SapphireStar~
05-21-2006, 07:43 PM
Ive had to write 2 recently, one to my student loan company and the other to UCAS cause both have very poor communications over emails and the phone.

Leeza
05-21-2006, 08:37 PM
Getting something in writing in the mail these days is a very rare thing. I used to write letters to my cousin, but we just phone now instead.

I agree with RSL. The Christmas Card exchange is fun. :)

ekinserge
05-21-2006, 08:49 PM
i'm not writing letters now...but i'm waiting for them(job interviews)...

Chris
05-21-2006, 10:20 PM
No! I've never used traditional mailing to communicate with someone. I guess, I prefer e-mailing!

Yuffie514
05-21-2006, 11:07 PM
i used to write hand-written letters to my cousin and she'd reply back with one of her own. i never kept good track of my e-mail address, until a few years ago and now i just digitally compose mail...

Anaisa
05-22-2006, 01:35 AM
I do like sending people letters, or rather comical things I have put in an envelope and sent to somebody. The thing I enjoy most is defacing the envelope. And receiving similar comical items with a defaced envelope. Although the price of envelopes and stamps is disgraceful. If I wasn't claiming the money back in tax, no one would ever get a letter off me.

Skarr
05-22-2006, 01:39 AM
I've never done the whole mail thing between friends. It's sad really. :cry:

Miriel
05-22-2006, 03:07 AM
I LOVE SNAIL MAIL. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/Emoticons01/maillove.gif

Kirobaito
05-22-2006, 03:21 AM
I had to send out graduation announcements, but those are hardly letters. Btw, if anyone wants to send me a monetary gift for said graduation, pm me.

Dixie
05-22-2006, 03:25 AM
What the heck is a letter?

Kidding! I love to write letters. And then looking in the mailbox everyday waiting and waiting for the letter to come back...It's so fun! ^_^

DeShanai
05-22-2006, 03:47 AM
I write notes CONSTANTLY in school and pass them along in the hallways. ^_^ I find it exciting.

Old Manus
05-22-2006, 07:49 AM
But you can't get Nigerian email spammers with letters!

Mittopotahis
05-22-2006, 09:12 AM
Also, Australia Post raised the cost of a stamp from 45 cents to 50 cents and I am still annoyed at them for doing so.
Yes, I agree. I was tripped out for months, taking 45 cents to buy a stamp. Usually I would 'forget' to bring the 5 cents, or I was 'unaware of the change', and they would give it to me, so no big deal :)

Although it is probably the first promise the Australian government has ever kept...

I send letters occasionally, but not too often.

escobert
05-22-2006, 09:25 AM
I'm too lazy to write a letter.

DK
05-23-2006, 04:28 AM
I think I have sent like, three letters in my entire life.

Loony BoB
05-23-2006, 12:04 PM
I have unsent letters to about 10 people in these forums, and I swear, I will send it all out someday. Miriel needs to bug me when I'm home so that I can write a second letter and remember to take them with me to work so I can post them. I totally will, Miriel! :D

I also have stuff I was supposed to send to people about 3-4 years ago. Man, I suck.

When I lived in NZ, though, I would write to my cousin almost daily, along with a few other friends of hers. I have letter albums to/from them, too... the longest letter I ever wrote was something like 80-100 pages long, and the longest one I've ever received was 100-130 pages long. My cousin and I really did like to write. :D I love letters immensely though, and I have hundreds of them, mostly from the pre-mentioned girls and also from EoFFers around the world. Maybe I'll take up letter-writing again soon, but right now I need to save my pennies, and email will have to suffice.

Miriel
05-23-2006, 06:30 PM
Hurry it up you cow. :aimmad:

Although I shouldn't be one to talk. I owed Kyono a postcard weeks ago. *hides*