PDA

View Full Version : why magic does minimal damage?...

ekinserge
05-21-2006, 04:48 PM
the black mage needs to prove that they are worth in any battle...

Cid Vicious
05-21-2006, 05:31 PM
NUKE, FLARE, COMET. Minimal Damage?

ekinserge
05-21-2006, 06:20 PM
yes it is...you can take the example from FFX-2...one more example is that in FF9...Amarant physical attack can exceed 7000 above...but Vivi's flare only do damage around 3000-6000...

vampirepiggyhunter7
05-21-2006, 06:27 PM
Lulu was pretty good. Black Mage from I was pretty good for me. I agree with IV.

DeathKnight
05-21-2006, 06:30 PM
Maybe you need to equip BETTER items for your black mages.

Lulu kicks major ass.

Prancing Mad
05-21-2006, 06:48 PM
Some games are bad for that. For me to use a spell, it has to be worth the mp I'm using for it. Otherwise I might as well plcuk away at a guy and use my magic for healing only.

Tavrobel
05-21-2006, 08:17 PM
the black mage needs to prove that they are worth in any battle...

Looks like someone hasn't played FFIIIj, FFIV, or FFX.

ekinserge
05-21-2006, 08:21 PM
i have played that games...maybe i lack something that can make the black mage more powerful...

BustaMo
05-22-2006, 12:55 AM
Actually when you start off many games, depending on magic-casting, the damage can be a real saver. Think of FFVI when you are in a Magictek suit and using magic compared to just regular attacks out of the Magitek armor in FFVI. Even Terra when she is discovered of using magic can cast Fire1 for 300+HP damage at times, compared to her and others physical attacks of 150HP or so. It's not really that bad when you think of it. There has to be some challenge to the game. If it hit for 1000HP, I'd say: "Screw this game, to easy."

Slothy
05-22-2006, 04:08 AM
About the only games in the FF series where I would say magic was actually too weak would probably be FFVIII and... well, that's about the only one actually. Maybe FFVII to a much lesser extent, but spells are still pretty darn powerful in that game. In most of the series I've found that the highest level spells you have at the time usually do as much if not more damage than the attacks of other characters, especially if you use a spell that an enemy is weak against. The trade off is that their use is limited by MP consumption. FFVIII is really the only one where magic wasn't worth using, but that was generally because you got more benefit from junctioning spells to your stats than from the damage dealt by them on enemies.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-22-2006, 06:03 AM
Most games magic is much stronger than physical attacks up until you reach a certain point.

However, at that point, you could have easily have beaten the game several levels ago.

blackmage_nuke
05-22-2006, 07:14 AM
I'd rather cast Ultima for alot of damage to all enemies then train up my characters to do alot of damage to 1 enemy at a time. And maybe if you use the right elements it wouldnt be so weak.

Shin Gouken
05-22-2006, 01:51 PM
Magic is great for healing/junctioning/targeting enemy weakness/increasing speed, strength etc. But personally i like physical attacks better. 2-swords, 2-handed, x-fight, slash all, elemental attack, status attack, sword magic etc are the almighty awesomness of ff

ekinserge
05-22-2006, 02:26 PM
Magic is great for healing/junctioning/targeting enemy weakness/increasing speed, strength etc. But personally i like physical attacks better. 2-swords, 2-handed, x-fight, slash all, elemental attack, status attack, sword magic etc are the almighty awesomness of ff
yeah, you're absolutely right...physical attack actually do more damage...for example, Squall Renzokuken and Tidus blitzace...

Dell
05-22-2006, 03:31 PM
I prefer magic. Kuja's Ultima = beat all.

ekinserge, Renzokuken and Swordplay is not a physical attack, it's a special power. My Lulu in FFX can do 99999 damage with Doublecast Ultima. Vivi can do 9999 damage with Reflectx2. Terra's Fire and Celes's Ice can do decent damage at the beginning. Meteo and Ultima in FFVI owns all!

ekinserge
05-22-2006, 03:37 PM

ekinserge, Renzokuken and Swordplay is not a physical attack, it's a special power. My Lulu in FFX can do 99999 damage with Doublecast Ultima. Vivi can do 9999 damage with Reflectx2. Terra's Fire and Celes's Ice can do decent damage at the beginning. Meteo and Ultima in FFVI owns all!
if you're using doublecast, i understand why it'll do more damage...but doublecast is a special command, imagine you don't have it...and i wonder why people who already defeated penance doesn't use Lulu in the team...recommended character are tidus, wakka and rikku...

Dell
05-22-2006, 03:46 PM

if you're using doublecast, i understand why it'll do more damage...but doublecast is a special command, imagine you don't have it...and i wonder why people who already defeated penance doesn't use Lulu in the team...recommended character are tidus, wakka and rikku...

I don't mean the sums of the two Ultima damage but I mean both of it done 99999 damage. Doublecast is a special command for everyone yet everyone can learn Black Magic in FFX so in FFX magic, skill and special doesn't matter. Everyone don't use Lulu to beat Penance because Lulu's overdrive can't do decent damage. Most of the people use Tidus, Yuna and Wakka. Attack Reels and Blitzace = own everything in FFX. Plus Anima and Magus Sister = own everything in FFX. There are some people who don't use Lulu because her celestial weapon took a lot of time to get fully-charge. I guess Break Damage Limit are the one who make FFX so easy!

ekinserge
05-22-2006, 04:10 PM
i agree with you...dodging that thunder can be a pain in the ass...as for lulu overdrive, i also do not recommend to use it...using the doublecast would be great...but actually, how can i get lulu's magic up to 255 since magic sphere is so hard to get...

Dell
05-22-2006, 04:19 PM
Off-Topic - You need to fight Jumbo Flan, 2 for overkill. This flan is immuned to physical attack. Cast Reflect to someone and pound away with either Flare and Holy. Ultima cannot be reflected so don't hesitate to cast Ultima directly to him. Or...use Anima's Pain!!!Best strategy to defeat Jumbo Flan. I don't use Zanmato though.

ekinserge
05-22-2006, 04:27 PM
the reason i post this thread is because i love the black mage as well as any other support class such as blue mage and white mage...and i want this support class to be as strong as warrior, knight, thief, samurai and berserker...and people like you gives me direction on how to make them strong...thanks a lot to you and other people who gives good feedback...and once again, i think this site is the coolest i've ever seen...

Dell
05-22-2006, 04:46 PM
the reason i post this thread is because i love the black mage as well as any other support class such as blue mage and white mage...and i want this support class to be as strong as warrior, knight, thief, samurai and berserker...and people like you gives me direction on how to make them strong...thanks a lot to you and other people who gives good feedback...and once again, i think this site is the coolest i've ever seen...

Thanks. I'll be more happy to help you later on. Hey, ekinserge, PM me.