PDA

View Full Version : Resident Evil and Silent Hill

ekinserge
05-21-2006, 05:15 PM
which one destined to be the greatest survival horror af all time?...i will pick Resident Evil...especially when i play Resident Evil 4 for the 5 times...

I Took the Red Pill
05-21-2006, 05:18 PM
RE4 was gold. So I go with Resident Evil.

Cid Vicious
05-21-2006, 05:19 PM
Resident Evil 2.

ekinserge
05-21-2006, 05:24 PM
RE4 was gold. So I go with Resident Evil.
yeah, RE4 is really platinum gold...

Zell's Fists of Fury
05-21-2006, 05:41 PM
Silent Hill all the way.
Resident Evil never did anything for me. Silent Hill just rocks.

~SapphireStar~
05-21-2006, 05:52 PM
IMO they are both the best. They scare me on different levels. RE has its zombies and giant moths, whilst SH scares me on the "What the f**k is that meant to be!?" level.

ekinserge
05-21-2006, 06:05 PM
the enemy especially in RE4 looks great, with el gigante, regenerator, fast zombies and superb bosses really makes it a game of the year...

Madame Adequate
05-21-2006, 06:09 PM
For gameplay, Resident Evil 4. For outright scares, Project Zero/Fatal Frame.

Levian
05-21-2006, 08:05 PM
They're both awesome, but Silent Hill wins. Resident Evil has the best action set up, though. But Silent Hill has the story, and the scares, and the environments. :o

Dreddz
05-21-2006, 08:31 PM
I prefer RE, but only up to the third game, the fourth ruined it for me. Im a RE traditionalist and prefer the old style of the series. Silent Hill has stayed truthful and I love the series, its a very close call to make between the two games, one im unable to fully answer :p

LunarWeaver
05-21-2006, 08:39 PM
I like Silent Hill, but I love Resident Evil...They're all so yummy. What is that? Is that Fanboy on me?! Ahh RE Fanboy get it off!!! :roll:

Germ Hamee
05-21-2006, 09:35 PM
No contest. Nothing has left me as terrified and traumatized as the first Silent Hill. Resident Evil can be intense, but it never ever gets to me.

GooeyToast
05-21-2006, 09:52 PM
Silent Hill is definetly scarier, is the better series of the two in general. Although RE4 was one hell of a game, it was more action than horror. I give it to Silent Hill.

Yuffie514
05-21-2006, 11:25 PM
...bio-nuclear Nemesis VS the immortalized demon, Pyramid Head? HEH.

Silent Hill is more for the scare factors and focuses on keeping the player constantly terrified. Resident Evil wasn't even scary enough for me to want to quit halfway through. i'm taking a break from Silent Hill after completing Silent Hill 4: The Room. most certainly picking up after Silent Hill 5 debuts.

i did enjoy all the Resident Evil games, including Resident Evil 3: Nemesis for PSX.

Nick Schovitz
05-22-2006, 12:10 AM
I haven't played any Silent hill game so Is houldn't put on an opinion, RE4 could've had some horror in it, too predictible when they're enemies around, I suggest that they have a part when you're in toatal darkness anmd the only thinhg you caN HEAR IS A CHAINSAW AROUND YOU, YOU RUN A AROUND IN CIRCLES AND WHEN THE chainsaw weilder attacks, the music goes all daa 1 and scare the /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif out of you when the villager barely misses you.

Slothy
05-22-2006, 03:53 AM
Though I like both series, SH gets the nod from me. Unlike RE, the SH series is scary. More than that, the fear factor holds up even after repeated playthroughs. Heck, the original SH still managed to scare me while I watched a friend play it and had already beaten it 7 times myself. Considering I've never seen another game or movie that can get any more out of me than the usual surprise at something jumping out at you reaction, that's saying something. When it comes to horror games, SH sets the standard that other games wish they could match, and RE seems to have given up on trying to match.

As for RE4, I honestly have to say that it's the weakest game in the series (with the exception of the original PSX RE) as far as I'm concerned. The action became extremely repetitive, and the game dragged on waaayyy too long. It should have been half the length it was at most as far as I'm concerned. I had stopped playing altogether for the better part of nine months or so before forcing myself to finish it, mostly for the sake of finishing it, and partly in the hopes it would improve. Unfortunately it didn't. Looking back, my time would have been better spent beating some of the other games I hadn't gotten around to finishing at the time. I don't plan on ever playing through the entire game again, and it's got me seriously questioning whther any future entries in the series will be worth my money. Keep in mind, I'm not someone who hates RE4 simply because it was different. I applaud Capcom's attempt to breathe some fresh air into the series and do think there were plenty of things that needed changes and improvements from the old games, but RE4 just bored me to tears.

Wuggly Blight
05-22-2006, 05:26 PM
I did enjoy silent hill, but its plot has become far to complex, though it does ratain the atmosphere that made it great. Also its retained its horror when every games is turning into a action game. Classy enemies such as the pyrimid head.

Resident evil, I prefer, though recent games such as 4 as sold out its horror genre to yet ANOTHER action game. I dont want a action game when I buy a horror, I actually wanted horror. sigh.
RE4 Really had nothing to do with Resident Evil at all. It was all one LONG line path, boring generic action game lacking any actual horror.

Reine
05-22-2006, 05:39 PM
Silent Hill. However Resident Evil will be the one that gets remembered the most, as its more famous

Old Manus
05-22-2006, 06:09 PM
Resident Evil pwns

DeathKnight
05-22-2006, 06:16 PM
Silent Hill wins here, though RE is close. Silent Hill just captures everything in a more thourough way and I like the twists and turns.

AND IT'S STILL THE SCARIEST SERIES OUT THERE *points to SH4...dies*

Angel Heart
05-23-2006, 03:55 PM
Resident Evil is more fun to play, but Silent Hill is creepier.

ekinserge
05-23-2006, 04:01 PM
RE wins in action while SH wins in scary atmosphere...

ThaJinx
05-26-2006, 02:26 AM
Resident Evil blazed the trails that made Silent Hill and the entire survival horror genre possible. RE wins for me, though they're both amazing franchises.

Citizen Soup
05-26-2006, 02:31 AM
Strangely, I never really got into Resident Evil 4. I think I need to give it another go. Resident Evil 2 has always been my favorite. As for the Silent Hill series, the combat controls are really clunky and tend to keep me from enjoying them as much as the RE series. Clunkiness aside, Silent Hill 2 and 3 are pretty awesome. Never before have I been creeped out by a video game. I love it.

FallenAngel411
05-26-2006, 08:27 AM
Resident Evil never appealed to me. Not the traditional gameplay, and not the new and supposedly improved RE4 gameplay. Silent Hill is pretty creepy and whatnot. But Fatal Frame is the only horror series that has ever really sucked me in. That heady mix of dread, anxiety, and fascination....GOD it keeps me glued to the controller. Nothing else does it quite the same.

kikimm
05-27-2006, 07:54 PM
I've only played a little bit of Resident Evil, and all the Silent Hill games. What I did play of RE, was horribly boring. SH doesn't have the BEST voice acting in the world at times, but RE is on a completely different level. And voice acting does kinda matter to me. :D Sh is so much more interesting. The story, and everything, the atmosphere, the action; I prefer it. And it's got Akira Yamaoka. <3

Dreddz
05-27-2006, 09:45 PM
A game I felt surpassses games from the SH and RE series was Forbidden Siren, anyone else play this game? It was made by the same people who made SH, its got the creepy tone of the SH games, and has a few twists that keep it alot more intresting than your standard SH game. Its a shame it was barely noticed.
The sequel is out very soon, I cant wait.

Drift
05-27-2006, 09:57 PM
project zero > all

Dreddz
05-27-2006, 09:59 PM
Project zero nailed the scare factor, but I found the first game to lack a decent story, boring characters and lame gameplay.
Its a nice idea they had, but they didnt pull it off....

Germ Hamee
05-28-2006, 12:15 AM
I was really excited about Forbidden Siren, but for whatever reason never ended up buying it. I think it had something to do with the overwhelming amount of reviews that said the game play was incredibly tedious and I just didn't feel like it.

I remember the official website was the coolest thing ever, though.

Dreddz
05-28-2006, 12:52 AM
The gameplay wasnt tedious to me, the fact that you can see through the eyes of the monsters, makes things very tense. Scared the crap out of me sometimes.

Moon Rabbits
05-28-2006, 02:19 AM
I think my sig makes me answer apparent.

SH has it all over RE's story, characters, monsters, environments, music, ambience, sound, scares, etc.

Giga Guess
05-30-2006, 01:08 AM
Silent Hill...it's everyman survivalist, as opposed to military survival.

runouni k master
06-15-2006, 02:28 PM
out of the two im with re4 and re2 sh is two hard

re4 is one of only a few games that i replayed more then one time

another game i played more then one time is dmc 1 and 3 any one else played them

Please don't double or triple post. Use the Edit/Delete button to add to your post instead :)

Old Manus
06-15-2006, 03:47 PM
I found Silent Hill two hard two.

drunkymonkey
06-15-2006, 09:31 PM
I prefer Resident Evil. The whole 'let's put disturbing images in our games' part of Silent Hill makes it less scary and more hilarious, in a bad way. Resident Evil 4 was a very, very good game, but neither series is really in my favourites list.

Shiny
06-15-2006, 09:34 PM
Resident Evil 4 probably. Although I like Silent Hill more. It doesn't include extremely cheesy lines and bad voice acting like the Resident Evil series does. "Don't. Open. That door!" -_-

Fonzie
06-15-2006, 10:06 PM
But...but...Resident Evil 4 came with nice ballistics :eek:

runouni k master
06-16-2006, 01:58 AM
any one know any thing about re5

Alixsar
06-16-2006, 04:17 AM
RE4 is clearly the best because (in the PS2 version, which is admittedly inferior except for this one thing I'm about to mention) when you wear the mafia outfit and use the Chicago Typewriter and try to reload four times, Leon throws his hat in the air and does a Michael Jackson Moonwalker Pose™. Not even Pyramid Head can stand up to that, although it is very close. Very close.

Oh, and The Mercenaries is probably some of the most fun I've ever had EVER. Hunk and I have some sort of symbiotic bond.

Outer Heaven
06-16-2006, 04:42 AM
Silent Hill all the way! RE4 was good, but it was more of a Action-Adventure game then a horror game.:D

Carmilla
06-16-2006, 11:13 PM
Resident Evil

RE is the game that 'started' the whole survival horror trend. It will go down as a classic trend starting masterpiece along with Mario for platforming, Street Fighter for fighting games, etc.

I just replayed and beat RE1 for the PS1 last week and it stills plays and holds up remarkably. Not to mention the pure gaming brilliance of RE4... :choc2:

runouni k master
06-19-2006, 07:02 AM
i :love: the re games more because you can get some bad gunes and just blow every thing away and the topic should be cloused becase re4 is the best rated video game on the ps2 even beter rated then sh

~SapphireStar~
06-19-2006, 11:41 AM
be cloused becase re4 is the best rated video game on the ps2 even beter rated then sh
Eh, no. The thread should stay open. Just cause youve had your say, doesnt means others have. Have you even played a Silent Hill game? IMO they are far scarier then RE4. And no it isnt the best rated video game on the PS2. In the UK, according to Gamespot UK, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is the most popular.

Shaun
06-19-2006, 12:28 PM
Silent Hill.

Psychological horror > stupid jumpy clichés.