PDA

View Full Version : malaysian english (manglish)

ekinserge
05-22-2006, 09:24 AM
Manglish:

Squall :Yesterday you sleep what time?
Cloud :Late-late.After new year only.
Tidus :I sleep early-early.Six o'clock very tired already.

English:

Squall :So what time did you go to bed last night?
Cloud :Very late;only after the new year began.
Tidus :I slept early.I was tired by six in the evening.

escobert
05-22-2006, 09:25 AM
haha cool?

Khaotic
05-22-2006, 09:31 AM
Umm.. whats the topic supposed to be?

escobert
05-22-2006, 09:32 AM
What's you're favorite way of ruining the english language!? xD

Khaotic
05-22-2006, 09:35 AM
Yeah I was about to say I really don't like the way singaporeans or malaysians butcher the english language, but I didn't want to sound offensive, even though it isn't really offensive.. mostly true. Singlish and "manglish" that is

Mittopotahis
05-22-2006, 09:36 AM

Studying English at school?

That annoys me :(

ekinserge
05-22-2006, 09:44 AM
actually that is the simple english that malaysian use just among malaysian...it doesn't mean to make fun of english, it's just the way how most malaysian (not all) talking when it comes to english...and it doesn't affect the english language...manglish are spoken widely by malaysian student according to some place where they're loafing or hanging out with friends such as at mamak stall, cafe, while in the cinema and any other place which is suitable for the use of manglish...

Twilight Edge
05-22-2006, 12:22 PM
Yeah,especially when you got other races(I am NOT a racist) that sometimes barely grasp the essense on english,which results in them speaking Manglish.Mind you,I'm also Malaysian,and though I speak SLIGHTLY better english,I still speak manglish sometimes.Couldn't help it...damn...but just please note that manglish and singlish are NOT for the purpose for ruining the actual english language.I mean it practically.

ekinserge
05-22-2006, 01:00 PM
omnislasher draco, you're malaysian?...where do you live?...anyway, about that manglish, i agree with you too...it totally doesn't ruin the usage of english...how about spanish english (spanglish)?...

Shaun
05-22-2006, 02:30 PM

I don't know, but what's yours - using you're instead of your? :D

Jus' kidding Bert.

Twilight Edge
05-22-2006, 03:19 PM
omnislasher draco, you're malaysian?...where do you live?...anyway, about that manglish, i agree with you too...it totally doesn't ruin the usage of english...how about spanish english (spanglish)?...

Spanglish?Well,never heard of it so I've got no comments.I live in Ipoh BTW.You?

ekinserge
05-22-2006, 03:22 PM
Ipoh mali lo?...I live in Mersing, Johor...never heard of spanglish?...me too...haha...

DK
05-23-2006, 04:31 AM
Singlish is dumb, siao.

Ki Ki
05-23-2006, 06:07 AM
Yea lor! Singlish was first!
Not that I'm supporting either one or anything! :excited:

Ramza Beoulve
05-23-2006, 07:50 AM
Spanglish... this is a really extended conflict here, nearly everybody here speaks that "thing", is like "What's up loco" o "vamos al supermarket" or things like that, it really amusses me >.<

ekinserge
05-23-2006, 08:11 AM
yeah...it kinda fun too...manglish rules baik punyer laa...

Captain Maxx Power
05-23-2006, 10:10 AM
Manglish reminds me vaguely of Newspeak.

ekinserge
05-23-2006, 01:00 PM
Manglish:

Squall :Ey, Cloud, where you going just now?
Tidus :Ya-lah.We all looking everywhere cannot find.
Cloud :But i buying MRT ticket what, don't angry laa.
Squall :We all not angry one.OK one.

English:

Squall :Cloud, where've you been?
Tidus :Yes, we've been looking for you everywhere.
Cloud :I went to buy MRT tickets.Don't be angry.
Squall :It's all right, we're not angry.

boris no no
05-23-2006, 01:57 PM
So this thread is about bad English? Thats not hard to find. Go to any English council estate and you'll feel right at home

Loony BoB
05-23-2006, 02:03 PM
Wanna know who has the worst English? Americans. I mean, at least the other countries don't have English listed as their first language. Americans butcher our words on a regular basis and still call it 'English' when it clearly is not.

Talking to people who don't know your language very well is great fun. I love it.

41-Inches-Wide
05-24-2006, 04:32 AM
^ Yeah. Even the American President on the podium for his State of the Union Address fumbled his grammar+vocabulary.

But I noticed that Singaporeans, when they type informally e.g. in chat or forums, they sometimes go "-la". Like, "It's funny-la!". or "Hahah she's stupid-la!"
Why do they do that?

ekinserge
05-24-2006, 04:37 AM
^ Yeah. Even the American President on the podium for his State of the Union Address fumbled his grammar+vocabulary.

But I noticed that Singaporeans, when they type informally e.g. in chat or forums, they sometimes go "-la". Like, "It's funny-la!". or "Hahah she's stupid-la!"
Why do they do that?
actually that 'la' came from manglish...

Ki Ki
05-24-2006, 04:38 AM
Because it's a habit! I think. Most Singaporeans have trouble not speaking singlish. As in, their idea of english is singlish!
It's quite catchy. :excited:

41-Inches-Wide
05-24-2006, 04:38 AM
Really? It's from malaysia? Hn.
So, why the "-la"?

Ki Ki
05-24-2006, 04:39 AM

Why do they do that?
actually that 'la' came from manglish...
Noooo! I thought it came from mandarin right?
I mean when I hear people speaking in mandarin I always here a la or lor or something.

ekinserge
05-24-2006, 04:40 AM
Really? It's from malaysia? Hn.
So, why the "-la"?
i don't know la...you find it for yourself la...

41-Inches-Wide
05-24-2006, 04:44 AM
[QUOTE=ekinserge][QUOTE=41-Inches-Wide]^ Yeah.
Noooo! I thought it came from mandarin right?
I mean when I hear people speaking in mandarin I always here a la or lor or something.

Hahah I thought that it was from Chinese too! :D

@Ekinserge
You tell me, you're the one from malaysia.

ekinserge
05-24-2006, 04:49 AM
chinese usually use 'lo' or 'ma'...

malay use 'la'...

but in malaysia there are malay, chinese, indian and other minority races...

so that 'la' are used by all malaysian who love manglish...

LunarWeaver
05-24-2006, 04:53 AM
I think Americish is butchering English enough, I'm not sure we need Manglish for more damage. o_O'

ekinserge
05-24-2006, 04:57 AM
manglish don't do damage to english because it is only used by malaysian...yet malaysian still use english in formal occasion...

Gnostic Yevon
05-24-2006, 03:38 PM
Southern English is pretty weird too.

Jes mash that button, y'all.
What? This one righ hea?

And I don't really get English English. Why are you adding u's in words. It's Color, not Colour, Analyize, not Analyise, Theater, not Theatre. Honestly, you Brits invented English -- can't you learn to spell it? :choc2:

Loony BoB
05-24-2006, 03:42 PM
And I don't really get English English. Why are you adding u's in words. It's Color, not Colour, Analyize, not Analyise, Theater, not Theatre. Honestly, you Brits invented English -- can't you learn to spell it? :choc2:
Since they invented it, their English is perfect. It's not that they added in u's, it's that you took them out. You say you write in English - can't you learn to spell it? Either spell it in English or call it American, I say.

Twilight Edge
05-24-2006, 04:11 PM
More examples!

M(manglish)
E(english)

M:Ya lo...
E:Right...

M:No wonder la...
E:No wonder...

M:Ceh,you very good meh?
E:Hmph,you think you're so good?

The 'ceh'(prolong the e ten times longer) and 'meh' comes from Cantonese.'Ya' is a short for 'yeah'.Malaysians write it as 'ya' because it's Malay(Malaysia's official language) and it's shorter.

ekinserge
05-24-2006, 04:16 PM
ya la, that's the spirit of malaysian...

you are saying the right thing what...

Twilight Edge
05-24-2006, 04:19 PM
LOL you speak Manglish to Malaysians and English to Brits and Americans?

starseeker
05-24-2006, 07:31 PM
Just be careful, some words have different or contradicting meanings in British and American English. For example: (AE- American English, BE- British English)

Sanction
AE: To stop (trade sanctions- no trade)
BE: To give the go ahead

Critical
AE: Verging on a state of emergency
BE: Very important

These are all I could think of but you should get the idea. The saying 'two countries divided by a common language', about Britain and American should also help.

Mirage
05-24-2006, 07:55 PM
We have something called Norglish. It's generally a degoratory term used when a norwegian's english is just horrible and/or directly translated without fixing the grammar. Thankfully, English and Norwegian grammar aren't as different as English and Malaysian grammar.
I think manglish and singlish are equal to that.

ekinserge
05-24-2006, 07:58 PM
it seems that this language are like bond to each other...

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-24-2006, 08:21 PM
American English actually isn't that bad if you look at it. Someone who's proficient (note: proficiency doesn't necessarily apply to a large part of the population) has no problem being understood by other English-speaking people.

It's all of the slang that throws people for a loop, but you get that everywhere. Even in England.