PDA

View Full Version : Apartment Dogs

Crow
05-22-2006, 05:27 PM
my fiance and i are moving into an apartment with a weight limit of 40 pounds. do any of you know what good guard dogs and companions to have in a apartment? and ones fairly good around a baby

SammieBabe
05-22-2006, 05:36 PM
It's all relative sweetie. There are so many variables when it comes to picking a breed of dog. If you want to go the pure bred route, I suggest checking the American Kennel Club web site for pictures and descriptions. I also believe there is an area with references for breeders.
I grew up with terriers. Specifically Kerry Blue and Soft Coated Wheatens. Niether one were that big, and both were fun, sweet, and phenomenal with kids....:)

m4tt
05-22-2006, 05:56 PM
My fiance and I have a corgi in our condo (well they used to be apartments, but they converted to condos). Our weight limit is only 20 pounds though, so our options were limited.

DK
05-23-2006, 04:36 AM
There's a weight limit on Apartments? Or on Dogs you can have or what?

rubah
05-23-2006, 04:48 AM
They dont' want any rottweilors apparently.

A little dog that will bark is probably as much protection as you'll need. But make sure it's a sweet one so it won't bite.

Our dog wasn't too bad, but i was already five when we got him, my three year old nephew has been bitten several timesxD

Breine
05-23-2006, 01:17 PM
Jack Russell Terriers are great dogs - both when it comes to personality, people/children and being a guard dog, which is largely because this breed has a Napoleon-complex (It'll attack everything when guarding no matter what size it has, so it is definitely also brave).

I grew up with a Jack Russell Terrier and it is truly a great dog.