PDA

View Full Version : Let's get hitched!

Big D
05-23-2006, 01:48 AM
How would you propose to someone?

If you're arlready married/engaged, how did you propose, or how were you proposed to?

Hawkeye
05-23-2006, 01:52 AM
Honestly, I think I would propose in the most unexpected time, like when she's in the shower. That would be cool.

rubah
05-23-2006, 01:53 AM
the other day, my friends and I were discussing the worst case scenario proposal:

guy takes chick out to the traditional fancy restaurant. They sit with their candlelit table by a window that faces an intersection on the highway outside.

They talk and eat and drink wine and just as he reaches into his pocket and pulls out a box, she screams 'OH MY GOSH! There's been a wreck outside!' and starts freaking out.

And the guy doesn't notice and continues his routine.

'Honey, I know this is a very exciting time for us, but you can't let it scare you!'

"My lord I can' t believe this is happening:("

"Me either! But I think we're ready. Oh it's okay to cry, I feel teary myself!'

'That's my aunt outside:(:('

'What? No I don't want your aunt at our wedding, the one who got shocked with the hair dryver?'

'Oh, James, I'm sorry, I've got to go, it was a lovely evening, I'm sorry it had to end the way it did;.;'

'what

'crap.

'why'd she leave?'

Dixie
05-23-2006, 01:54 AM
I'd buy him pie, hide the ring in the pie, and feed it to him. When he found it, I'd ask him to marry me. But I hope he'd do that for me instead of me doing it for him. ^_^

Perducci
05-23-2006, 02:03 AM
I'd spray paint it on Counterstrike when we were having a one on one fight. :cool:

kikimm
05-23-2006, 02:03 AM
I have aboslutely no idea. That's scary. Oh God rejection.

Okay so if I'm proposing, I'm going to do it with a gun.

Shoeberto
05-23-2006, 02:04 AM
I'm still working on a method.

XxSephirothxX
05-23-2006, 02:06 AM
It would have to be either incredibly nonchalant, or in a way far more romantic than I can fathom at the moment. I'd be sweating bullets, too.

Venom
05-23-2006, 02:08 AM
"Hey, Marry me." Is what I'd say.

NeoCracker
05-23-2006, 02:11 AM
I'd buy him pie, hide the ring in the pie, and feed it to him. When he found it, I'd ask him to marry me. But I hope he'd do that for me instead of me doing it for him. ^_^
If he's anything like me that rings going to become part of the meal.

Anyway, the best thing to do is first send her to a movie with her friends, pay for a girls night out ot some crappy chick flick. Then, during the Climax of the movie you run out in a blue bathrobe and stand in front of the screen throwing the robe off and scream at the top of your lungs, "Marry Me! AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!"
And if she actually marries you she definatly loves you.

rubah
05-23-2006, 02:26 AM

Anyway, the best thing to do is first send her to a movie with her friends, pay for a girls night out ot some crappy chick flick. Then, during the Climax of the movie you run out in a blue bathrobe and stand in front of the screen throwing the robe off and scream at the top of your lungs, "Marry Me! AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!"
Clever

Rusty
05-23-2006, 02:38 AM

xD I would so say yes if someone proposed to me that way.

Miriel
05-23-2006, 02:44 AM
I love hearing about marriage proposals, I'm a sap like that. One of my friends was taken to the Venetian in Las Vegas and taken for a gondola ride. There were bottles floating in the water with messages in them with stuff like "remember the first time we..." and finally at the end of the ride there was a bottle with lights all around it and inside it said, "Will you marry me?" and omg that is the most romantic thing ever.

*dies*

I am patiently waiting for the day I am proposed to. It doesn't have to be elaborate like the Venetian thing, but special and thoughtful would be nice. My guy told me he doesn't want me to propose to him. :p

Meat Puppet
05-23-2006, 03:30 AM
I don't know. Probably just the way I see it done on movies. On my knee and asking the question after like an expensive dinner or something.

Of course, if I was going to be realistic (and not like the movies) then chloroform and marionette strings fit for a human would need to be involved. :-\

Skarr
05-23-2006, 04:30 AM
If it ever came down to me proposing then there would be a lot of swearing involed in it. The fact that I would be so incredibly nerveous means nothing if I get out those F bombs.

Now If I was ever to do it in the romantic way...I guess I'd do it after faking bad sex...ya know 1 minute. Then if she says yes, well at least I know it's not just for the sex. :thumb:

DK
05-23-2006, 04:47 AM
I would say, but I am keeping it locked up in my head until the day comes to pop the question.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-23-2006, 06:00 AM
Probably during a quiet moment during a relaxing cuddle session.

Ki Ki
05-23-2006, 06:10 AM
I always loved the way people in the movies put the ring into a fortune cookie or a cake or something.
But that's abit risky so I don't think so!
I guess somewhere quiet when we're alone! So if I get rejected it won't be THAT humiliating. :choc2:

StarChild
05-23-2006, 06:21 AM
i'm not sure I'd propose...but I dunno. Just something simple. Maybe while talking one evening, and then there's the ring and the question, and then I become a puddle of goo.

LunarWeaver
05-23-2006, 06:30 AM
If somebody ever proposed to me with a ring I'd slap them silly and yell at them for wasting that much money. I'd then tell him to come back when he proposes to me with a Ps3, and then I'd marry him immediately no matter how he did it.

Yamaneko
05-23-2006, 06:44 AM
"Hello, dear. There is a deadly poison coursing through your veins. The ring I am about to offer you for your hand in marriage contains the antidote locked inside. If you do not accept my proposal you will not be alive within the hour."

:love:

Jojee
05-23-2006, 08:55 AM
O_o

Squishy: Here you go, eat pie m'dear! >=) >=)
Squishy's BF: Mmm yum pie ^_^;; Did you m-..g...g.....a....*choking noises* *dies*

Yes... ring in pie bad idea :choc:

And I would not propose to a guy. ^-^ He would have to propose to me. And hopefully it would be romantic in some way -_-;;

Miriel
05-23-2006, 09:24 AM
Just for the record, I think putting jewelry in food is a ridiculous notion.

Captain Maxx Power
05-23-2006, 10:07 AM
I guess it would depend on the person. I'd definately do it in private, preferrably in a special romantic spot. In front of friends and family would just be embarassing for both of us.

Cid Vicious
05-23-2006, 10:21 AM
I'd take her to Paris for a Romantic Weekend, (fancy Resturants and all that) and at the end of It get down on one knee and Propose.

Loony BoB
05-23-2006, 11:21 AM
Considering how likely it is that I'll someday propose to someone I meet from EoFF, I can't discuss this.

DK
05-23-2006, 12:02 PM
Considering how likely it is that I'll someday propose to someone I meet from EoFF, I can't discuss this.

xD

Loony BoB
05-23-2006, 12:07 PM
You know how at the big graduation dinner type things you have awards? My one was "Most Likely To Marry Someone They Met Off The Internet". Seriously.

Chris
05-23-2006, 12:19 PM
I think I'm too much of a wimp to ever propose to anyone. But if I were to propose to someone, I would probably go by the "traditional" way; dinner, romance, etc.

Zante
05-23-2006, 12:33 PM
I would just ask her, Wanna get married? or something. None of that romantic crap.

Anaisa
05-23-2006, 02:12 PM
Would you really want to marry somebody that enjoyed "chick flicks?"

Spatvark
05-23-2006, 05:38 PM
Getting the bitch pregnant first helps. *goes to poke holes in his condoms*

escobert
05-23-2006, 05:42 PM
I have no idea.

Rye
05-23-2006, 07:51 PM
I don't know! I'm a girl, so I probably wouldn't propose. I wouldn't care how someone proposed to me. :D

Just for the record, I think putting jewelry in food is a ridiculous notion.

Amen. With my luck, I'd choke and die.

Jojee
05-23-2006, 07:52 PM
I would just ask her, Wanna get married? or something. None of that romantic crap. Huuuge disappointment, I dunno how your future wifey would react but I'd just refuse :p

Drift
05-23-2006, 08:09 PM
ok!

KentaRawr!
05-23-2006, 08:25 PM
How would I propose to someone? ... Well, it would end with a slap mark on my face. :(

It depends on the person how I propose. o.o

eestlinc
05-23-2006, 08:42 PM
how about we'd go to a bar together and get really drunk and then be like "hey, let's get married!!"

Oh wait, my friends already did that one...

then how about I'd intentionally forget my birth control and then get pregnant and then be like "well now you have to marry me..."

Wait, other friend just did that too...

sorry, kinda irritated at my stupid friends right now.

but i guess if i wanted to be really romantic, I'd plan a cross country driving trip together. Then I'd find some scenic park along the route with great views (Grand Canyon, Badlands, something like that) and we'd go stand out and look at it in the early evening (or maybe early morning) and ask then.

One benefit to that approach is if she says no, I can just get back in the car and leave her there. Or throw her in the grand canyon.

Roogle
05-23-2006, 08:43 PM
I don't think that I would be able to get married, currently. I'd say that if this happens in the future, it wouldn't really have to be proposed.

I'd just say something along the lines of, "I think we should get married."

Old Manus
05-23-2006, 08:45 PM
"Will you sign a pre-nuptial agreement?"

Cruise Control
05-23-2006, 08:51 PM
"Will you sign a pre-nuptial agreement?"
xD

SammieBabe
05-23-2006, 09:02 PM
When hubbie proposed to me, it was kind of a worst case senario like rubah mentioned. He had made reservations at one of our favorite restaurants and had arranged with the manager that he would slip the waiter the ring and they would bring it to me on a plate, in place of a dessert. Then we were going to go for a walk on Bayshore Blvd, which this this beautiful view of the water on one side and million dollar homes on the other. Sounds great right?
This is how it really happened:
He forgot that he promised his sister several weeks before that we would baby sit her three year old son. They came to get him at about 12:30. The only restaurant that we could stomach then was Bennigan's. After a very late dinner, we got in the car and he started driving. And driving. And driving. He couldn't remember how to get to Bayshore and we ended up at the Platt St. Bridge which is a notorious hang out for homeless people. So with an audience of Tampa's finest, he asked. Incidentally, I was 6 months pregnant with his child at the time and am currently 6 months pregnant with our second child.
He was really embarrased by the whole thing at the time, but now its funny....:)

Jebus
05-23-2006, 09:03 PM
I don't care for marriage, so if I ever do get married I'll be the one proposed to.

Zante
05-23-2006, 09:28 PM
Huuuge disappointment, I dunno how your future wifey would react but I'd just refuse :p

And there I thought people get married because of love and such, not because someone made them a fancy proposal. ;)

NeoCracker
05-23-2006, 09:46 PM
Huuuge disappointment, I dunno how your future wifey would react but I'd just refuse :p

And there I thought people get married because of love and such, not because someone made them a fancy proposal. ;)
What kind of backwords world do you live in?

Miriel
05-23-2006, 09:54 PM

Of course people get married for love and all that good stuff. But that doesn't mean that girls don't look forward to their proposals and wonder how their guy is gonna pop the question. Same with weddings. You don't need the pretty dress or the yummy cake or any of that, but it's still really nice to have.

If it were me, I would go out of my way to make the occassion very special for my future husband. Because I love him and because I'd want him to remember the moment for his whole life.

Saying, "hey wanna marry me?" will suffice for a lot of people, sure. But I'd say it'd be about the same thing as giving someone you love cash for their birthday instead of a special gift you picked out yourself. It's nice, yeah, but eh...

TheBrent
05-23-2006, 09:59 PM
I'd spray paint it on Counterstrike when we were having a one on one fight. :cool:

Hey, that's a good idea. *high fives*

Tavrobel
05-23-2006, 10:02 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, the world's next Top Comic.

Roogle
05-23-2006, 10:06 PM

Of course people get married for love and all that good stuff. But that doesn't mean that girls don't look forward to their proposals and wonder how their guy is gonna pop the question. Same with weddings. You don't need the pretty dress or the yummy cake or any of that, but it's still really nice to have.

If it were me, I would go out of my way to make the occassion very special for my future husband. Because I love him and because I'd want him to remember the moment for his whole life.

Saying, "hey wanna marry me?" will suffice for a lot of people, sure. But I'd say it'd be about the same thing as giving someone you love cash for their birthday instead of a special gift you picked out yourself. It's nice, yeah, but eh...

You will end up remembering an incident like that no matter what you are doing, so it would be better if you were doing something enjoyable. I don't think the word choice would affect much.

Loony BoB
05-23-2006, 10:18 PM

Ah, but if you were in love, you'd make the effort. ;)

Master Quan
05-23-2006, 10:23 PM
"Hello, dear. There is a deadly poison coursing through your veins. The ring I am about to offer you for your hand in marriage contains the antidote locked inside. If you do not accept my proposal you will not be alive within the hour."

:love:

Ah, the classics.

Jojee
05-23-2006, 10:25 PM

Pff, you're asking her to be your wife and BE with you for the rest of your lives; that's a pretty huge commitment ^_^;; If you don't make that something special, then that just goes to show you much you value it all, hmm?

Master Quan
05-23-2006, 10:41 PM
That's a rather pretentious way of looking at the situation.

eestlinc
05-23-2006, 11:12 PM
one could make the argument that such articifice taints a love that is pure.

Miriel
05-23-2006, 11:16 PM
I'm also of the opinion that a marriage proposal shouldn't come as a shock to you. I mean, you can be surprised at the timing of it, or how it was executed, but you shouldn't be blind-sighted by being proposed to. If you're completely surprised by the proposal, then maybe you haven't talked/thought enough about the future with your boyfriend/girlfriend in order to make that kind of commitment.

And sheesh, you people. Most girls aren't asking for huge diamond rings and rose petals everywhere and a saxophone player in the background. Most girls just want something significant and thoughtful. Shlup should post how BJ proposed to her cause the way he did it was simple and sweet and thoughtful but not crazy elaborate.

Loony BoB
05-23-2006, 11:20 PM
No sense of romance with some people, eh Miriel? :(

Yamaneko
05-23-2006, 11:25 PM
Women need to be grateful they are getting proposed to at all. If we had our way we would have one woman for babies and another for sex.

Dr Unne
05-24-2006, 12:12 AM
Thankfully not all women require their partners to dance around like performing monkeys for their amusement. The image that comes to mind when thinking of a traditional marriage proposal is of a man groveling on the floor at the feet of a woman, who then agrees in essence to be "his" (property). It's belittling to all involved. However I have nothing against anyone who enjoys such scripted ritualistic courting ceremonies. To each his/her own.

Jojee
05-24-2006, 12:52 AM
one could make the argument that such articifice taints a love that is pure. How so? :p It's a huge commitment, a huge step in your lives, so there should be some thought put into it. I know everyone could (and should, imo) do better that "Yo, let's get married." :p

Thankfully not all women require their partners to dance around like performing monkeys for their amusement. Tehehe I would totally make my guy do that if I could :p :p *dies*

And nah, I like some of the traditional stuff <3 Not a man groveling at my feet (although that would be pretty funny too :tongue: ) but a man who really wants to be together with a woman for the rest of his life and letting her know that, who then agrees to spend the rest of her life with the man. :]

I could be called a hopeless romantic :moomba: I also think that divorces are totally a result of someone's own inability to work things out and mostly just rushing into things and it's pretty ...disgusting? (not realy the word but y'know :</>D), for the vast majority of them. I'll be pretty damn sure that he's the one when I get married o_O;; and I would totally refuse a proposal no matter how nice it is (although it would be so sad, so sad xD) if I felt otherwise.

And btw, I wanna hear Shlup's proposal story :</>D :</>D (God I'm so bored XD!)

Miriel
05-24-2006, 12:58 AM
Unne, I don't think you get it. But that's ok.

A lot of people are fully aware of what marriage used to mean and what the ring used to symbolize, but what it used to mean and what it means today are two completely different things. So no, it's not belittling and it's not some sort of monkey dance done purely for the sake of tradition. And "will you marry me" does not mean "will you be my property?"

I personally love weddings like whoa. And I'm really thankful that I get to participate in people's weddings the way I do. I honestly can't understand why a celebration of love can be so unappealing to people.

Yamaneko
05-24-2006, 01:14 AM
Most big weddings are more about one family showing the other family they have large sums of money.

NeoCracker
05-24-2006, 01:41 AM
Women need to be grateful they are getting proposed to at all. If we had our way we would have one woman for babies and another for sex.
Damn Straight.

Zante
05-24-2006, 06:49 AM
Meh, I just don't see marriage as something special, more like a formality.

GhandiOwnsYou
05-24-2006, 07:02 AM
http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20060213

Done Deal.

Master Quan
05-24-2006, 07:46 AM
one could make the argument that such articifice taints a love that is pure. How so? :p It's a huge commitment, a huge step in your lives, so there should be some thought put into it. I know everyone could (and should, imo) do better that "Yo, let's get married." :p

My point was: If people would actually change their minds about marraige depending on something as, ultimately, trivial as the way they were proposed to, then they clearly don't love the respective person.

Miriel
05-24-2006, 08:05 AM
If you knew your significant other well enough to love her, you should know what kind of proposal she would like. To completely disregard her desires and expectations doesn't seem very loving to me. That shows a complete lack of connection between the two people and they probably shouldn't get married anyway.

Whether the girl wants a big romantic proposal or a quiet proposal with no hoopla or anything, the guy should know all this already. He should already know what she would like and what she would hate. If he knows that she would enjoy being asked over a quiet dinner or if she would love to be proposed to on the beach, or whatever, why the heck would he not do this for her?

And this applies to guys who plan out elaborate proposals in front of a crowd when their girl is actually really shy and hates to be the center of attention. That's just stupid. C'mon know your audience. This is the person you claim to love enough to make a life-long commitment with, and if you don't know how to propose in a way that would make her happy, then you shouldn't be proposing in the first place.

If my guy proposed to me and got me a pearl engagement ring, I would probably be incredibly sad. Not because the ring matters at all, but because that would mean that he didn't know me well enough to know that I rather loathe pearls and always have for most of my life. It's a small thing, and I probably wouldn't refuse the proposal, but I'd question whether we know each other well enough to get married to each other.

So it may seem trivial, but it really does speak a bit more about your relationship than you would think.

Loony BoB
05-24-2006, 08:12 AM
You guys think about such things so rationally and logically that it's depressing, sometimes, you know that? "But you don't need to do it." It's not about the need. You don't need to talk to your wife either, but it would probably help. Yeesh. I'm totally not proposing to Unne anymore.

-N-
05-24-2006, 08:21 AM

Done Deal.Nice one xD

rubah
05-24-2006, 08:30 AM
You guys think about such things so rationally and logically that it's depressing, sometimes, you know that? "But you don't need to do it." It's not about the need. You don't need to talk to your wife either, but it would probably help. Yeesh. I'm totally not proposing to Unne anymore.
Now *this* is a man

(roflgigglelol)

(but srsly)

Jojee
05-24-2006, 08:35 AM
Yeah.... I think I love you, Bawb... :love: And I'd totally hit you too Miriel! ;) (but not in the abusing kind of way! Not into that kinda stuff!)

Done Deal.Nice one xD Lmao that's bril. I'd love that xD

DK
05-24-2006, 03:11 PM

Winner.

Loony BoB
05-24-2006, 03:11 PM
On an unrelated note, every time I read this thread's title, it's to the sound of "Let's Get Rocked" by Def Leppard. <i>Let's get, let's get, let's get, let's get hitched~</i>

Dr Unne
05-24-2006, 11:41 PM
Unne, I don't think you get it. But that's ok.

Nah, I do. As a wise man once said, it's just not my bag.

Supposing that my partner doesn't want me to grovel-propose, and I don't want to grovel-propose, what is the problem? I don't see how it's depressing that other people may like different things than you like. Other people proposing in traditional or outlandish ways doesn't make me depressed.

Calliope
05-25-2006, 07:57 AM
Stalin and Bren win and therefore should marry each other because people are staring at me for laughing so much.

Mr Most Likely To Marry Someone He Met On The Internet and Mrs Wedding Photographer are pansies. PANSIES!

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-25-2006, 08:10 AM
And I'd totally hit you too Miriel! ;) (but not in the abusing kind of way! Not into that kinda stuff!)I regret having ever taught you that phrase.

NeoCracker
05-25-2006, 08:17 AM
And I'd totally hit you too Miriel! ;) (but not in the abusing kind of way! Not into that kinda stuff!)I regret ever teaching you that phrase.
We all make mistakes.

Anaisa
05-25-2006, 03:05 PM
Women don't need to be grateful for a proposal from guys who think like that, because their ten a penny, and their certainly no catch.

fire_of_avalon
05-26-2006, 03:01 AM
I've already got this planned out. Traditional proposal, traditional planning and then us kidnapping my dad and skipping out to Vegas the night before the wedding.

I like ritual, but I'm not out to impress people with superficial things. When/If I get proposed to, it will most definitely be something very unusual/unorthodox or something very simple, cause that's how we roll.

StarChild
05-26-2006, 03:27 AM
this thread is making me wanna get married :cry:

Yamaneko
05-26-2006, 04:33 AM
Women don't need to be grateful for a proposal from guys who think like that, because their ten a penny, and their certainly no catch.
More like, "they're a ten a dime". Everyone wants sex. Not everyone wants marriage.