PDA

View Full Version : are FFT/FFTA and FF12 related?

szetok
05-23-2006, 03:45 AM
I dont know much about ff12 cept that it takes place in ivalice. i find it very odd that they would do this if the fft games and ff12 werent related at all. or maybe theyre just running out of names. i mean ffta and ff12 share some of the same races also. why must square re-use previous worlds?

Octorok
05-23-2006, 06:31 AM
Well.. FFTa is essentially a big ole' compilation of FF references.
I figure FF12 is a more serious approach to the.. 'original universe' of Ivalice? (FFTa's Ivalice being some sort of 'alternate universe')

I don't think that FF12 and FFT are going to be related, or perhaps by some odd chance that they might be a part of the same universe at different time periods.
We'll have to see.

BG-57
05-24-2006, 05:40 PM
Some would contend that all FFs are connected because of common character names, objects, countries, etc.... Most of the time, though, it's the creators making references to previous FF games.

For example, Setzer from FFVI is mentioned in one of the Propositions, but that's little more than a cameo than a serious suggestion that FFVI and Tactics are directly linked.

You could make a stronger argument about FFVII being linked to Tactics because of the inclusion of Cloud. Here it's not just a guy named Cloud, it's the same guy brought over from FFVII. I'm pretty sure his planet is different from Ivalice's, but I think it more likely that he travelled in space but not in time.

The Tactics version of Aeris is just a cameo in way Setzer was.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-24-2006, 07:11 PM
Ivalice is just an interchangeable backdrop. FFXII and FFT aren't connected for both taking place in Ivalice any more than FFVII and FFIX are connected for both taking place in Gaia.

Fantasy Fan
05-24-2006, 10:03 PM
and both IX and I have a volcano called 'gurugu'

Carmilla
05-24-2006, 10:41 PM
Imo, FFTA was a 'dream' set in Ivalice.
FF 12 is a 'real' story in Ivalice.

:choc2:

Tavrobel
05-24-2006, 11:17 PM
I dont know much about ff12 cept that it takes place in ivalice. i find it very odd that they would do this if the fft games and ff12 werent related at all. or maybe theyre just running out of names. i mean ffta and ff12 share some of the same races also. why must square re-use previous worlds?

They reuse worlds, because... let's admit it. Earth rocks.
If you wanted to count all the references that a FF has made to other FFs, it would take awhile. The information would be as large as a site (check FFCompendium). It's hard to come up with the name of an entire world with completely different styles and technologies, and entire civilizations for that matter. People aren't going to come up with names for new worlds every single time, that actually make sense and aren't a random smattering of letters and accents.

There's a reason they use Gaia/Terra/Earth, as it is reference to our own planet. When you can come up with multiple civilizations and races with a coherent history, then you can complain about other people's work. Or become a critic. But then everyone hates you. Why does it matter if they use Ivalice twice? It's just a name. If they REALLY didn't want to reuse names, then why make another FF? I mean, since it's all got the same name, according to YOUR logic, that means all those worlds are the exact same with nothing new to offer.

Any gump can come up with words that are the name of a "world". But can you make it make sense?