PDA

View Full Version : Is Kingdom Hearts too... kiddy?

Carmilla
05-23-2006, 04:14 AM
Ok, heres my deal. I own every FF from 1-11, with part 3 and 12 already preordered. I have the Crystal Chronicle games, Mystic Quest, and both Tactics games too.

But even though the three Kingdom Hearts games have sold millions and gotten rave reviews, i still hold off on getting them.

To me they just look and sound way too 'childish.'
Are the stories that kiddy? Are the difficulty levels as non existant as they say? I just cant seem to take a game with Goofy and the Little Mermaid that seriously.

Am i wrong or right in steering clear of these games? :confused:

finaloblivion
05-23-2006, 04:52 AM
i can see how you could think that the KH games are a little childish. they are in ways, because its disney, but the storyline, graphics and gameplay are all absolutely beautiful. there is a definite sense that they are too easy, but there's always Proud Mode for people who enjoy difficult gaming! i just defeated KH 1 and 2 on both normal and proud modes, and its not a cakewalk! i recommend you at least rent the first one and check it out, because i believe that they are some of the best games squaresoft has ever released personally. if u dont dig it, you dont dig it. but give it a try, at least.

Skyblade
05-23-2006, 06:06 AM
It is not as childish as it seems. Superficially, it is childish, and a young child could enjoy it. But there is a very deep plot and some amazing character development. And in KHII, the feel for the game gets even darker, and, thus, more adult.

Even Goofy can be serious at times, as you will notice in the middle of KHII.

IceAngel
05-23-2006, 01:52 PM
It is not as childish as it seems. Superficially, it is childish, and a young child could enjoy it. But there is a very deep plot and some amazing character development. And in KHII, the feel for the game gets even darker, and, thus, more adult.

Even Goofy can be serious at times

I agree :). Lots of people think its 'childish' looking simply because of the disney aspect. Thats the most obvious thing I guess. Still, there is soemthing genuine there ~ to me ~ that is definately Square Enix stuff.

Neo Blackheart
05-23-2006, 05:02 PM
Would you call giant black things that steal peoples hearts to destroy everything childish. If so then yes but I do not call anything where stuff is being completly destroyed childish. and for disney characters they could kick your ass my ass and probly anyone elses to.

so in my point of view they are as childish as a loaded revolver

I Took the Red Pill
05-23-2006, 08:49 PM
I love KH and all, but there are some parts to me that seemed really kiddy. The whole cliche recurring motif of friendship perservering had me thinking that I was in Mr. Roger's neighborhood the whole game.

LunarWeaver
05-23-2006, 09:12 PM
Like Disney movies, they can be enjoyed by everyone...But if you are expecting you to be the target audience, then you will be let down. Let's just say nobody gets decapitated or pregnant.

I look it at kind of like super heroes. Sure, back in the day Superman had some radio shows that showed him as just a poster boy for good to make the kids jump up and down and go yay for flying, but these days a Superman movie is going to get everybody to go... Not because it's necessarily mature content, but because he has been updated to have serious aspects to his personality and plotline, and the comic books are the same...Heck the guy croaked once. Naturally something like Superman was always aimed more at adults then Mickey and company but that's the best example I could pull out of my brain.

And it's similar here. They have all been given an update to a larger story that ties into the characters. Goofy is still a dumbass and Mickey still says "Gosh!", but I wouldn't exactly say it's for the toddlers...

I mean, it's rated E10+ for 10 and up, but that "and up" implies everybody above 10 as well I suppose. You'll only enjoy it if you let yourself I guess.

Besides these games added the word "Palooka" to my vocabulary, and I am eternally grateful for it.

Tavrobel
05-23-2006, 09:43 PM
Are the stories that kiddy? Are the difficulty levels as non existant as they say? I just cant seem to take a game with Goofy and the Little Mermaid that seriously.

You are right to say that they are childish.
Then, you play the game.
Then, you contemplate suicide.
Kidstuff? Perhaps.

While it seems to be childish on the outside, it really is much more mature than one could imagine. It uses the pretense inorder to get higher sales, and manipulates the people who believe in SE games. This plotstuffs is real Square work, full of hidden symbolism and even sometimes, allegory (not kid stuff).

However, it is steered much towards kids; not 2, not 5, but 10-14 years. KHII is based much older, around 15-16, but not if you are twenty. However, the plot is much more mature and deeper, as is the feel of the game (although, WtNW of KHII is much less surreal than EotW KHI).

KHI is around the difficulty of FFIV on SNES, overall easy, but painful at certain times, especially the platforming. KHII is slightly easier, more on the level of FFX, and does away with the platforming, making it similar to Star Ocean III, but without the insane difficulty. But there are some bosses that will have you kicking the TV in.

*cough* Demyx *cough* Xaldin *cough* Final Boss at level 43 on Proud Mode *cough*

And no, you are NOT being wise by steering clear of these games. It's called giving games a chance, even if they suck. Unless someome else of reputable or similar tastes to yours tells you that you probably wouldn't like it. If you continue to think they suck, then good for you, but to prejudge something you've not yet played is... not good.

Heartless Soul
05-23-2006, 09:44 PM
It really pisses me of so many dismiss KH as a child's game. Well, considering the fact the game is rated E it means ''for Everyone'' if it were for children, it we'd see a game that's rated ''C'' for children''. Even if that was the case, many of any age group have played the game. EVEN PEOPLE IN THEIR MIDDLE AGES.

The people who usually say the game is childish are the same imbeciles that want KH to be like the FF series, but considering that 80% of the game is Disney and we already have a FF franchise with 13+ games, I'd say they need to get over it. Also, Disney, although has gone downhill for while, we never aired just towards children only. Movies before AND after still appeal to families a like. It isn't kiddy fare as many stereotype it to be. If you want angst-filled games that star anti-social male protagonists and save their flower girls with ''badass'' characters, leave KH and play FF. If you want a game with a character that goes with the flow and fights a long side Disney characters we've known for a long time and love, KH is for you.

Oh, let this be a note that if the game was rated T, it still wouldn't have made a difference. Come to think of it, the only ''dark'' and ''mature'' thing about KH2 is the Port Royal world. Which also features the most graphic violence (cutting Elizabeth, wow). And POTC is a Disney movie, the company that delivers all this ''childish'' crap.

Skyblade, you're over-exaggerate the storyline. I played the original KH as 11 year old. As shocking as it sounds, I get the idea that a kid that age and maybe even a bit under could understand the entire concept. There's nothing complex about the message and storyline. It's like your average anime minus it features Disney characters and is targted to EVERYBODY.

The story is deeper and emotional, but I don't think I would've been posting here if I didn't understand KH when I first played it as ''a child''.

:rolleyes2

IceAngel
05-23-2006, 10:23 PM
....The story is deeper and emotional, but I don't think I would've been posting here if I didn't understand KH when I first played it as ''a child''.

Well said :D

*~Angel Wing~*
05-24-2006, 12:42 AM
I don't think the game is childish at all. :nonono: Unless you're saying it's childish cuz it doesn't have any sex, violence, or inappropiate comments/language. :mad: Most people these days want to watch/play things that are inappropiate, lots of people do, I do sometimes. But don't go bashing the things that are aren't full of that crap, cuz they're just as good or even better. I think that Kingdom Hearts is as mature as the Final Fantasy seires, and just because it isn't rated "T" doesn't mean it's "kiddy". Just cuz some movies are rated "G" dosen't mean they're lame or childish. Some "G" movies are better than movies that are rated "R". And don't dare say that Disney is lame cuz Disney is AWESOME!!! :kaohappy2 Kingdom Hearts is for ANYONE at ANY AGE. I believe there 's a kid inside EVERYONE, and this thread is a total waste of time. :eep: Just because you think Kingdom Hearts looks "childish", dosen't mean it actually is. :nonono: You have no right to judge it anyway cuz you never even played it!!! :rolleyes2 If you like more mature things that's fine, but don't call the more innocent and less mature things "kiddy" or "childish". Kingdom Hearts is one of the best games I've ever played!!! :heart: :thumb:

FallenAngel411
05-24-2006, 07:00 AM
I agree with what's already been said, and I won't bother repeating it. But might I add that these games are also incredibly fun to play through? At least rent it before you judge it.

Clawsze
05-24-2006, 08:16 PM
Anyone and I literally mean ANYONE who has the nerve and the arrogence to call Kingdom Hearts a "Childish game" will be prosicuted by me!:frust: .....Oh and they are complete idiots.

KH is probably the best game by Square Soft/Enix.It has action,adventure,romance,betrayal, it has EVERYTHING.Now anyone one who agrees say AYE:thumb:

Heartless Soul
05-24-2006, 09:38 PM
It's a proven fact that people that accuse another of being things like immature and childish are usually that themselves. It is true that some times we have to be serious about things, but then again, I could say the exact opposite. Plus, I find it hard to believe that everybody that accuses a game of KH being childish are mature, sophiscated adults that play video games. Because you want to get into a technical stereotype, playing video games ''is childish and for little kids only''.

Neo Blackheart
05-24-2006, 10:19 PM
yeah tell that to my 69 year old grand dad or my 105 year old great grandma. She said she would die playing KH1 she loved it so.

if you think it is childish I suggest looking at the post that I posted with the secret ending and look at the second one. does that look childish

Carmilla
05-24-2006, 10:48 PM
First off im not bashing the game.

Secondly, i was hurting for a new Gameboy Micro game and lo and behold look what came up for $15... Kingdom Hearts - Chain of Memories.

I will be playing this later this week at work so if its good it looks like i would have to get the PS2 games also... :p

I Took the Red Pill
05-24-2006, 10:56 PM
The people who usually say the game is childish are the same imbeciles that want KH to be like the FF series

I love both games. Just because I say some of the underlying themes are kiddy, doesn't mean I don't like the game. Sweeping generalizations. Now those are usually immature.

Heartless Soul
05-24-2006, 11:51 PM
Sweeping generalizations. Now those are usually immature.
And, like I said in my previous post, people who accuse others of being immature are probably immature themselves. The same with people who accuse others of being childish. In a way some how or another, we are all like that some times, even if we blindly ignore and deny it,

Oh, FYI, I don't consider KH a kiddy game but neither is ''deep and mature'' as some make it out to be. Really, anybody could understand the whole entire concept and story. The only ''dark'' thing I see about KH2 is the Port Royal world (no joke) and the most graphic violence you EVER get in the game is Barbossa cutting Elizabeth's hand like in POTC movie, a movie that's made by the company that's stereotyped to make kiddy crap that is Disney.

Neo Blackheart
05-25-2006, 10:05 PM
you really won't get chain of memories because it is based after KH1 but then again if you get KH2 it might help you understand it.

SuperMillionaire
05-26-2006, 01:25 AM
I say KH2 is Disney for adults.

Masamunemaster
05-26-2006, 01:54 AM
smack yourself until you get to the store and buy it

and I would say aye but FFVII beats it

Slicksword45
05-26-2006, 01:56 AM

Secondly, i was hurting for a new Gameboy Micro game and lo and behold look what came up for $15... Kingdom Hearts - Chain of Memories.

I will be playing this later this week at work so if its good it looks like i would have to get the PS2 games also... :p

make sure you beat KH1 before you even think about playing KHII

once you start getting involved in KHII you can never play KHI again....... it's to..... not as cool

PontiusPilate
05-29-2006, 03:13 AM

No, I highly suggest you dont do that. for one you havent played the first KH so u may be lost and second the ps2 games were wayyy better then the gba game.

Disney is the comic relief of KH and everyone else is the more mature part of the game. Disney's characters were VERY well made and are all easily likeable.

I would type all the reasons KH I and II (for the ps2) are my favorite games of all time, but im too lazy to type it:p

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-29-2006, 06:25 PM
I've deleted several unnecessary posts. Keep on-topic, please.

Nick Schovitz
05-29-2006, 07:26 PM
Ahh, what's your concern on it, they have disney in the game to bring back memories of all of us when we used to watch those classic Disney films they are over 200 of them in the games and don't forget FF's in it too. This is square's game disney didn't help make it, they just let us borrow their characters and voice actors.

obsessed_wif_yuna
05-30-2006, 09:16 AM
NO WAII! ITS NOT CHILDISH AT ALL!! i bet yo0h think that coz its disney..but disny has made plenty of movies that even my brother ,who is 23, likes...

Chibi Angel
05-30-2006, 07:43 PM
I refused to play it for awhile because I thought it looked ridiculously childish. But then my older brother went out and bought it so I figured what the heck I'll try it and I love both the games.

~Megalixir~
06-03-2006, 08:07 PM
This game sucks.

Seriously.

The Graphics suck.

The Storyline sucks.

The Disney Characters Suck.

The Gameplay sucks.

If you disagree with any of the above, then you Suck.

PontiusPilate
06-03-2006, 09:15 PM
Name calling isn't very nice

Hmmmm you use the word "suck" alot. You must like to do it alot, if your so familair to the word. I already know the answer to your next question and they answer is "No, i am infact straight and im not into that kind of stuff. sorry"

As for your statement, I disagree with you 100%

Graphics -Great
Story-Great
Disney- Great
Gameplay- Great

McLovin'
06-03-2006, 09:36 PM
Childish only at appropriate moments.

Serious at others. Great story. LOTS of Sidequests.

Play! :)

~Megalixir~
06-03-2006, 10:13 PM

Wow. Life sucks for you, doesn't it?

McLovin'
06-03-2006, 10:18 PM
You know any new game really can not suck.

Only old Nintendo games can suck. Not brand new PS2 games.

They have great graphics off the bat. The story entraps you at least a little eh.

So it really canīt suck because you bought it.

PontiusPilate
06-03-2006, 10:44 PM

Wow. Life sucks for you, doesn't it?

nah my life is great. i can tell you like to suck though

~Megalixir~
06-03-2006, 10:44 PM

No, my brother bought it. :/

nah my life is great. i can tell you like to suck though

Ah yes, it seems I have seen too many hookers lately.

PontiusPilate
06-03-2006, 11:02 PM
you sucked off a hooker.... Okay if you in to that kind of stuff w/e.

Lets get back on topic

Malboro_Menace
06-04-2006, 12:29 AM
Megalixir just one thing to say: grow up

Well I only got KH last tuesday and I've been playing it non-stop. I'm at the end of the world now.

Trust me it is a great game. Not saying you did but if someone called it completley and utterly childish then they're wrong. Seriously. Donald Duck casting freakin fireballs at big behemoth looking things with massive shields is not childish.

~Megalixir~
06-04-2006, 12:33 AM
How utterly Hippocriticaliffic.

Renmiri
06-04-2006, 01:39 AM
I never played the game. The thought of having super cool Auron talking with Mickey hit me as heresy. Like having the X-men and Wolverine having a tea party with Alice and the Mad Hatter. Disney must have given SE a humongous amount of $$$ for them to risk their franchise in this manner.

But I gotta admit the fans here had some very good points: SE knows how to make games, and many games are kiddie like but great - Zelda is one I loved in spite of all the kiddie motif. I think I will buy it soon :)

DiZTewell
06-04-2006, 01:52 AM
KH1 = Ok, Great storyline
KH:CoM = Best looking sprites ive ever seen, Good storyline
KH2 = Great Graphics, Awesome storyline, darker then the other KH games

Dark Puppet
06-05-2006, 04:42 AM
A lot of people see KH and KH2 as childish, but right when they think that, they automatically turn away from it. It's kind of like Peter Pan in a way. The childishness of the story is suppose to give way to a deeper, more adult concept.

They use the childishness, as bad as that sounds, to rope you in and think it's all innocent, but then they slam you with darkness and evil, and all these bad things, and this happens over and over in the game, until it almost makes you want to sue Square Enix for emotional turmoil (j/k SE, we all love you).

So to say the game is childish, I guess you could, but you can't write it off there. You have to include everything, which includes (corney pun) going into the darker side of a child's heart.

PontiusPilate
06-05-2006, 01:38 PM
put it this way, if it was too childish, we wouldn't be playing it

DiZTewell
06-05-2006, 08:36 PM
I agree with Pilate

Carmilla
06-07-2006, 08:17 PM
Im like 90% through Chain of Memories and i must say ive been enjoying myself thoroughly!

Its such a fun little game and collecting those cards is addicting. :eek:
And the game has a certain 'charm' to it that i cant explain.

I also just ordered Kingdom Hearts for the PS2 for $18.
Ack, ive become a KH fan! :choc2:

PontiusPilate
06-07-2006, 11:13 PM
Yes, thats right, you are now one of us now. *evil cackle*

Le Mutton Noir
06-16-2006, 04:26 AM
Like Disney movies, they can be enjoyed by everyone...But if you are expecting you to be the target audience, then you will be let down. Let's just say nobody gets decapitated or pregnant.

I look it at kind of like super heroes. Sure, back in the day Superman had some radio shows that showed him as just a poster boy for good to make the kids jump up and down and go yay for flying, but these days a Superman movie is going to get everybody to go... Not because it's necessarily mature content, but because he has been updated to have serious aspects to his personality and plotline, and the comic books are the same...Heck the guy croaked once. Naturally something like Superman was always aimed more at adults then Mickey and company but that's the best example I could pull out of my brain.

And it's similar here. They have all been given an update to a larger story that ties into the characters. Goofy is still a dumbass and Mickey still says "Gosh!", but I wouldn't exactly say it's for the toddlers...

I mean, it's rated E10+ for 10 and up, but that "and up" implies everybody above 10 as well I suppose. You'll only enjoy it if you let yourself I guess.

Besides these games added the word "Palooka" to my vocabulary, and I am eternally grateful for it.

Lol.......I also say palooka now.

Clawsze
06-18-2006, 01:51 PM
Im like 90% through Chain of Memories and i must say ive been enjoying myself thoroughly!

Its such a fun little game and collecting those cards is addicting. :eek:
And the game has a certain 'charm' to it that i cant explain.

I also just ordered Kingdom Hearts for the PS2 for $18.
Ack, ive become a KH fan! :choc2:

I am glad you have seen the light Carmilla, now if you don't mind i'm off to kick Sephys ass on KH.

Oh and Megalixir you think you're so mature but you're not you are just arrogent and can't take into mind others opinions.

Kinako
07-03-2006, 03:48 PM
You know any new game really can not suck.

Only old Nintendo games can suck. Not brand new PS2 games.

They have great graphics off the bat. The story entraps you at least a little eh.

*coughUnlimitedSaGasuckscough*

Anyway, back on topic. I honestly can't think of Kingdom Hearts being too childish. Yes, it has Disney characters, but, to me, that's part of it's charm. I especially loved that they added Mulan and PotC in KH2. I still want to see Atlantis and Treasure Planet added, though.

Yuffie514
07-08-2006, 04:28 AM
at times both Kingdom Hearts/II can be "childish". and, so what's the deal if it is? as long as the game is enjoyable, then what is the whole deal with it being "childish" or not. same goes for Final Fantasy Tactics Advance :trout: .

TidusMaster
07-27-2006, 11:03 PM
If you think about it, Disney gives makes the Hearts in Kingdom Hearts. Disney made KH1 And KH2 so good! And the Ending moved me like i was on ice!(if that makes any sense...)

But the thing is is that they should put a few FF worlds in there too.
I bet that would get peoples atenntion!:D

Dynast-Kid
07-27-2006, 11:47 PM
When I first got it like 3 years ago I was like "Pssh...This is kiddy..." AND then when Riku stabs Malefecient in the heart and she turns into that big dragonI was like "whoa..."

Anyway it's fun and I love the KH Series,especially KH2

black_cloud
07-28-2006, 03:25 AM
:confused: By no means at all was kingdom hearts I (or) II childish or and kiddy,actually kingdom hearts entered a whole gender on the world "disney",i used to think that some various disney characters were dumb,till i played them,and final fantasy is a part of kingdom hearts series too,are you saying ff is kiddy?......for the love of god,SEPHIROTH was in kingdom hearts I and II...........so basically who ever thinks that kingdom heart is by any stretch of the imagination "Kiddy?" then your completely wrong and i bet i could many many many vouchers to say its not adn that is is a great game,right now its currently the third best game out for the ps2,(Note:my theries may be completey and totaly screwed)...now after this speach thinking that kh is "kiddy" can you say its "kiddy" or "childesh" now?...No...:confused:

Distain
07-28-2006, 03:28 AM
Ok, heres my deal. I own every FF from 1-11, with part 3 and 12 already preordered. I have the Crystal Chronicle games, Mystic Quest, and both Tactics games too.

But even though the three Kingdom Hearts games have sold millions and gotten rave reviews, i still hold off on getting them.

I myself was guilty of thinking that they were kiddy, and prety much ignored them, untill a freind introduced me to KHII. Ya there are some kiddy elements that you will notice at the vary begining, like the whole hartless and nobody's thing along with all the disney charicters. And yes it is alittle cheesy at some point's when you are going through some of the disney levels *cough*Mulan*cough*, but when you start playing it for more than a half hour, it all starts to not become kiddy, btu become relevent. The place where I find it really "grows up" is whenever you come to the darker side of the story without the disney, espeically near the end. As for the diffuculty, it has it's ups and downs. The Nightmare befor Chirstmas levels had me almost asleep, where some bosses had me screaming some rather crude language at the T.V. You canplay it as a button masher and do prettty well (I'm guilty of that the first time through) but once you get into the battle system and menus more you can get pretty indepth at what you want your fighting style to be and your comands, ect.

Bottom line, dispite looking kiddy frm the outside, the game keeps up with the rest of it's square counterparts. But it dosnet start off with a bang, so you gotta be able to give it a bit of a chance. But odds are, you willl be glad you did.

black_cloud
07-28-2006, 03:33 AM

I myself was guilty of thinking that they were kiddy, and prety much ignored them, untill a freind introduced me to KHII. Ya there are some kiddy elements that you will notice at the vary begining, like the whole hartless and nobody's thing along with all the disney charicters. And yes it is alittle cheesy at some point's when you are going through some of the disney levels *cough*Mulan*cough*, but when you start playing it for more than a half hour, it all starts to not become kiddy, btu become relevent. The place where I find it really "grows up" is whenever you come to the darker side of the story without the disney, espeically near the end. As for the diffuculty, it has it's ups and downs. The Nightmare befor Chirstmas levels had me almost asleep, where some bosses had me screaming some rather crude language at the T.V. You canplay it as a button masher and do prettty well (I'm guilty of that the first time through) but once you get into the battle system and menus more you can get pretty indepth at what you want your fighting style to be and your comands, ect.

Bottom line, dispite looking kiddy frm the outside, the game keeps up with the rest of it's square counterparts. But it dosnet start off with a bang, so you gotta be able to give it a bit of a chance. But odds are, you willl be glad you did.

same i was introduced to kingdom hearts I bya friend adn i lvoed it but i never actually in terms thought it was childish.

black_cloud
07-28-2006, 03:33 AM
OMG I CANT TYPE FOR CRAP......lol....Sorry i just posted twice my bad!

+EvilApple+
07-28-2006, 03:39 AM
I don't think that it is childish! some parts seem more of a 13+ too me......... don't ask me which but it to me yea. I saw numba one when my cuz played it and imediantly got it! the only thing is KH2 is easy and KH1 was hard too me.