PDA

View Full Version : Speed running

Shin Gouken
05-23-2006, 11:09 AM
Is there any speed runners here, or anyone who has attempted a speed run at any game?

I myself have only tried speedrunning metroid zero mission but after seeing the FFV speedrun im tempted to speedrun an RPG. It would take alot of work and testing to pull off as knowledge is greater than power in most RPGs.

Markus. D
05-23-2006, 11:46 AM
I have speed run Conquer Online.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-23-2006, 01:01 PM
Speed runs are way too stressful for me. I need everything to be perfect like that Red Scarlet chick so if I do not pull off the mockball to get the Super Missiles early on the first try then it is just over.

Shin Gouken
05-23-2006, 01:49 PM
Speed runs are way too stressful for me. I need everything to be perfect like that Red Scarlet chick so if I do not pull off the mockball to get the Super Missiles early on the first try then it is just over.

You don't have to break any records when speed running. I want to speedrun FFV but doin it in less than 3:30 mins will just never happen. Id be happy if i did it in ten hours. Just doing it to the best i can is good enough for me.

My best metroid speedrun is 48:53 seconds. Thats about 18minutes behind the best recorded run o_0

EDIT: 48 hours :O lol 48 minutes... fixed

Sephex
05-23-2006, 06:13 PM
You should seriously record that if that's true, man. I love watching those videos.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
05-23-2006, 06:18 PM
Almost every game I play, I play it fast (even Final Fantasies). I simply don't have the time to read all boring dialogue. But speed running seems a bit too frustrating for me. Once slip or wrong turn and I'll be all eggy

edczxcvbnm
05-23-2006, 06:34 PM
I love speed running. I do it to beat myself and not beat other people's insane records.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
05-23-2006, 06:37 PM
Is there a site where loads of people post their fastest times or best records for various different computer games?

Captain Maxx Power
05-23-2006, 08:05 PM
Yes. (http://speeddemosarchive.com/)

Shin Gouken
05-23-2006, 08:15 PM
Yes. (http://speeddemosarchive.com/)

Thats my fave site atm :)

Medi
05-23-2006, 08:41 PM
I'm not that good at speed running. In Metroid Zero Mission my best time was only about 1 hour, 25 minutes, 36 seconds. I am, however, very good at sequence breaking. Like in Super Metroid, I can get the power bombs before ever fighting Kraid.

Shin Gouken
05-23-2006, 08:46 PM
I'm not that good at speed running. In Metroid Zero Mission my best time was only about 1 hour, 25 minutes, 36 seconds. I am, however, very good at sequence breaking. Like in Super Metroid, I can get the power bombs before ever fighting Kraid.

Theres a million sequence breaks in zero mission. You can complete the entire game without having your long beam, wave beam, chargebeam, super missiles, high jump, speed booster, varia suit and screw attack.
However these arent actual sequence breaks because the makers intended for them to be there because of the huge response to there being no sequence breaks in metroid fusion. Was gutted when i found that out

Slothy
05-23-2006, 10:15 PM
Show me someone who didn't try speed running every single level in Goldeneye back in the day, and I'll show you someone that never actually played it. I know I've tried speed running some other things before likeMega Man X games, but nothing major. Usually just short games; the sort of things where a 5 hour playthrough isn't considered quick.

Dreddz
05-23-2006, 10:22 PM
No, never been bothered. Ive played through entire games in one sitting though, Im not trying to speed run, but I do go through them pretty fast.
I watched my mate speed run Devil May Cry 2 ( Dantes disc ) once, pretty cool.

SeeDRankLou
05-23-2006, 11:36 PM
I've done a speed run for FFIX to get the Excalibur II. I did one for Pikmin to see if I could do that 9 Day Challenge, which I did. I've done a speed run of Majora's Mask twice. Once to beat the game all in one cycle (after the initial one), and the other to see how fast I could get 100% done, and I got it down to four cycles (after the initial) which is the official fastest you can do it, I just figured it out myself. I'm working on trying a speed run of Pikmin 2, but it's a little frustrating (not that Pikmin wasn't).

Ramza Beoulve
05-24-2006, 06:29 AM
Speed runs...

One in Metroid Fusion, with the 100% in around 2:30, but I don't think it is fast though...
Another in Megaman X, with only 2 hours :D, but aside of that, I don't like speedruns