PDA

View Full Version : Jack Sparrow's Voice Actor

IceAngel
05-23-2006, 01:56 PM
Okay i found out today that James Arnold Taylor does the voice for Jack Sparrow in KH2. My question is: How well does he do the character?

I mean James Arnold Taylor did the voice for Tidus in FFX/X-2. I just cant imagine him doing the voice of Jack Sparrow.

Acid Raine
05-23-2006, 02:01 PM
He does fine. He sounds like Johnny Depp.

Mirage
05-23-2006, 02:35 PM
I thought Johnny Depp was the VA...

~SapphireStar~
05-23-2006, 05:15 PM
Yeah same here, man that would have been totally sweet. But if he sounds like him ... I guess its ok. Although Johnny would have been nice :D

Tavrobel
05-23-2006, 08:08 PM

Me too. Then I saw the credits were missing Johnny Depp.

LunarWeaver
05-23-2006, 08:34 PM
James Arnold Tayler does Timon too... He's actually in a ton of stuff, and I think he's one of the best voice actors around. He did Tidus like he did on purpose, so I'd blame the voice director if one didn't like the Tidus voice and not necessarily him. That Jack Sparrow was good stuff though.

Heartless Soul
05-23-2006, 09:51 PM
I agree with you all. I had a bit of difficulty trying to determine whether they were the real VAs or not. When first played it, I thought they were done by their original VAs, save for Elizabeth, who was pretty obvious because the minute I heard her, she sounded like the stereotypical mid-30s British lady drinking tea when she said ''Where are you talking me?! LET ME GO!!!!''.

However, later on in the game, she sounded normal and than back to that. Werid. But yeah, although the REAL POTC would've been nice, it doesn't take away. However, I had a nightmare that Japan would get a FM of KH2 and the special bonus for the game with English voice actors with Japanese subs + RE-DUBBED PORT ROYAL WORLD WITH ORIGINAL VOICE ACTORS.

:eek:

IceAngel
05-23-2006, 10:07 PM
He does do pretty good voice acting I admit. It just shocked me a little because at one point they said it was somebody else other than Johnny Depp... who wasn't JAT. Thats quite cool that the voices for Yuna and Tidus are both in KH2 but you wouldn't know...

However, I had a nightmare that Japan would get a FM of KH2 and the special bonus for the game with English voice actors with Japanese subs + RE-DUBBED PORT ROYAL WORLD WITH ORIGINAL VOICE ACTORS.

:eek:

Yes that would be torture!!!

Slothy
05-23-2006, 10:12 PM
I didn't realize it was him until this thread actually, and I thought he did a decent enough job. He certainly sounded like Johnny, but at the same time, it was off. His delivery just didn't sound right to me, but then, I can't blame him for not being able to pull off Johnny Depp perfectly. I doubt many could, and the voice director likely played a large roll in how it came out. When it's all said and done, it came out a lot better than I thought it would when I found out the voices weren't going to be done by the original cast.

SeeDRankLou
05-23-2006, 11:23 PM
On his voice alone, there's such a minute difference in Johnny Depp's voice and the voice in the game that one probably won't be able to tell. What did it for me however, having watched Pirates of the Caribbean many many times, the delivery of the lines was missing that certain flair that Johnny Depp gave his character in the movie. So the delivery is somewhat off, but the voice is almost spot on.

finaloblivion
05-24-2006, 05:27 AM
:D i thought JAT did a fine job, but sometimes it sounded like he was trying a little too hard to sound like JD. whatev, i enjoyed it. i didnt even know that it was the same guy who did tidus tho! they should have had mina suvari do the voice for aerith again tho like in advent children:choc: . and billy zane for xemnas, cuz the new guy sucked and BZ was awesome in KH1! but james woods:D did hades, so i was terribly excited about that.

FallenAngel411
05-24-2006, 06:55 AM
I knew going into the game that it wasn't Johnny doing the VO, so the moment Jack opened his mouth I started getting all picky about his voice. But overall, I must say it was a pretty good impression, and now that I know this is the same guy who did Tidus its all the more impressive. He's a surprisingly good actor once you look past the slightly off-key performance in FFX.

cloud20747
05-24-2006, 08:01 PM
Yeah same here, man that would have been totally sweet. But if he sounds like him ... I guess its ok. Although Johnny would have been nice :D

I agree

*threedarkness*
05-25-2006, 12:21 AM
some good acter alright

koocnahtanoj
05-27-2006, 05:55 AM
He sounds sort of like him....I guess.Blame it all on Johnny Depp's ego.

Slothy
05-27-2006, 01:07 PM
He sounds sort of like him....I guess.Blame it all on Johnny Depp's ego.

I thought the reason for not having the movie cast do the voices was that it conflicted with the shoot schedule for the two sequels? Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought I read that somewhere.

ff8foreverzell
05-27-2006, 02:27 PM
I thought that it was johnny so he did a good job at the vo

Cloud_omnislash_Strife
05-28-2006, 07:39 AM
And Jesse McCartney did Roxas.

Sephiroths Clone
05-29-2006, 06:43 PM
Yeah didnt see that coming, but he did a good job. All the voices sounded like they were supposed to. I didnt even know it wasnt Johnny.

IceAngel
05-30-2006, 07:51 PM
Also, ~ I found this out too ~ Vivi is voiced by a woman? Well what I really mean is, does the voice for him sound ok?

ff8foreverzell
06-13-2006, 04:58 PM
Vivi is done by a girl.It sounds kinda like a little like a little kid and i thought it was.:( :rolleyes2 :confused: :mog:

I think that all the voice overs sound like there saposed 2.and all the grafics are awsome.Sry abpout my spelling.:greenie: :rolleyes2

Please don't double post, use the edit/delete button instead if you wish to add to your post.

~Void

Chibi Youkai
06-13-2006, 05:22 PM
If you listen closely, you can tell that they are different, but it was really good considering that disney couldn't get any of the origional people to do the voice acting. It was still pretty good sounding, and looking too.

Dr.M
06-18-2006, 01:02 PM
omg, this is all new 2 me. pmsl!. im in australia so kh2 isn't out yet so i have know idea about the voice actors. r u guys serious? jessy macarney did roxas and james did jack??!!, waoh, thats so amazing. soz if i sound like a dork, but i have no idea.

So-Luna
06-18-2006, 01:22 PM
Vivi is done by a girl.It sounds kinda like a little like a little kid and i thought it was.:( :rolleyes2 :confused: :mog:

I am not surprised, most kids in cartoons or games are voiced by girls. Heck, Bart simpson is voiced by a woman. But you probably knew about him.

Jessweeee♪
06-19-2006, 06:27 PM
James Arnold Taylor is a good voice actor. His real voice is like Tidus's if you've ever heard the interviews.

anacacia
06-19-2006, 09:07 PM
He does sound like Johnny Depp in the game. I was surprised.

I don't really find anything wrong with the Tidus voice!!! Stop mocking the voice!!! He may sound just a tiny bit whiny, but it is fine!!! :p

He did a good job.

IceAngel
06-19-2006, 10:37 PM
I am not surprised, most kids in cartoons or games are voiced by girls. Heck, Bart simpson is voiced by a woman. But you probably knew about him.

Yeah and the voice of Rikku (FFX also) ~ Tara Strong ~ does the voice of Timmy Turner in Fairly Odd Parents ~ love that show lol

Dr.M
06-20-2006, 07:14 AM
i love tara strong, she great! im still getting over the fact that jessy macarney is the voice of roxas, thats kinda scary 2 me. . and the voices that james arnold taylor dose are so random, i find it so ammusing. what dose jack sparrow, timon and tidus have in common?....so random

Slayer1514
06-21-2006, 04:47 AM
he does a good job on voice acting, but to me he sounded nothing like johny deep and i could tell it wasnt him when he first started talking

Ichimonji
06-21-2006, 05:21 AM
Yeah, I wasn't suprised to see James Arnold Taylor as Jack Sparrow or Timon. The guy is an excellent voice actor, he's in tons of stuff. Let's not forget he is also Ratchet in the Ratchet and Clank series, he's Wooldoor Sockbat and basically every other non-important character in Drawn Together, and Obi-Wan in Clone Wars. He's good.

01 Rin
06-21-2006, 05:21 PM
:D i thought JAT did a fine job, but sometimes it sounded like he was trying a little too hard to sound like JD. whatev, i enjoyed it. i didnt even know that it was the same guy who did tidus tho! they should have had mina suvari do the voice for aerith again tho like in advent children:choc: . and billy zane for xemnas, cuz the new guy sucked and BZ was awesome in KH1! but james woods:D did hades, so i was terribly excited about that.

I think I agree with you the most. The second I heard Jack Sparrow's voice in KH2 I knew it wasn't Johnny Depp. I've seen enough Johnny Depp movies to know that, lol.

Although, JAT was pretty good, I mean no one can sound just like Depp but JAT was close.