PDA

View Full Version : star ocean: till the end of time

Lynx
05-23-2006, 11:37 PM
has anyone ever played this game im no more then 15 hours into this game and i love it. the battles are fun some battles are challanging. and so far even though the story is wildly confuseing at this point in the game it still really good. for those who have played the game what did you think and no spoilers im not that far into the game yet.

~SapphireStar~
05-23-2006, 11:59 PM
I gave up when I was on the medevil planet, I remember being in a castle and finding a long secret corridor in the castle thone room or chapel. Cant remember the name of the location. I just got bored.

Tavrobel
05-24-2006, 12:03 AM
The Shrine of Kaddan? Yeah, that part of the game is painful to play through. Not because it's got invincible bosses, but because it's just not that exciting. It's quite boring.

Shouldn't this be in the General SE forum?

Kyri
05-24-2006, 02:27 AM
I gave up on that planet that was in medieval age(can't remember the name). I got soo bored. I dislike the battle system as well.

Khaotic
05-24-2006, 02:38 AM
Personally one of my favorite games.

ekinserge
05-24-2006, 03:46 AM
i play it, but stuck at the last boss battle...he's damn hard...one thing that i hate about this game is its colours...cause pain to my eyes...

finaloblivion
05-24-2006, 06:20 AM
i have not played it, nor can i find it anywhere besides online.....ive also heard its terribly difficult. should i buy it? is it worth it?

ekinserge
05-24-2006, 06:27 AM
it's quite fun to play...
you should also play Radiata Stories (if you haven't)...
both are develop by Tri-Ace and produced by SE...

FallenAngel411
05-24-2006, 06:46 AM
I became bored with it pretty quickly. The game couldn't seem to pick a plot to focus on.

Zeromus_X
05-24-2006, 03:47 PM
I'm glad you like it! Now, as the subliminal messages in the bonus dungeons tell you to buy other tri-Ace games from the internet....

Oh! But yeah, I'm glad you like it. If you need help, feel free to ask me! :) :cat:

I loved it, but I liked the other two, so it wasn't a surprise. The Battle System is just spectacular, fun, but sometimes challenging. IC had greater possibilities, but was a bit overcomplicated compared to the other SO games. And with 300 BTs to collect, four different difficulty levels (And indeed, you'd have to play the game at least five or six times to get all the battle trophies, and that's generous and not considering most people don't have the stamina to collect them all. :P), and awesome final dungeons, it has great replay value.

And Santa.

Aphelion
05-24-2006, 05:06 PM
"Wildly confusing"? Wait until you reach disk 2.

It's a great game, nonetheless. Nice story, unique characters, a great soundtrack and fun bonus stuff. Better than most RPGs out there, to be sure.

Spawn of Sephiroth
06-05-2006, 10:33 PM
well, i just got this game the other day because it looked like a pretty good game, but i am having a horrible time trying to get into this game. it just doesn't make any sense to me because from the very beginning, it never really had a plot that was worth anything. i am like six hours into the game and to be honest, it is really starting to bore me. now i am a die hard rpg gamer, but this is one of the few games that i can't get into, well this game and final fantasy 10, which by the way, was the ONLY final fantasy game to disappoint me,but anyway, back on topic, if you have anything that would help me out, just send me a private message, because i would like to get into this game so that i can enjoy it.:choc2:

Mirage
06-06-2006, 01:57 AM
The plot comes later :p. It isn't too strong either, if you ask me. Still, the fights are fun, and it has a ton of bonus stuff to do, such as inventing items, a lot of optional bosses, optional characters (a thing I really miss in Final Fantasy games), the battle trophies, battle arena, and a lot more.

What exactly is it that does not make sense to you? Don't you get the battle system, or is it just that the story doesn't make any sense yet? You can't expect to understand the story too well when you're only 6 hours into the game...

Zeromus_X
06-06-2006, 02:05 AM
The 'you must talk to this reclusive individual to trigger the event that will advance the story' things, I'm guessing. Those were pretty annoying, but at least every other time you play the game you'll already know what to do. :cat:

Still, all the amazing one-liners make up for everything, including:

~ All of Cliff's
~ All of Albel's
~ All of Nel's
~ Sophia's battle quotes
~ Adlai's battle quotes
~ All of Roger's one-liners and battle quotes
~ Fate getting smacked by Lucifer near the ending xD
~ 'This really sticks in my craw!'
~ 'So he must be the leader of this place. What a pertentious jerk.'
~ 'Well, at least I learned one thing. The whips on this planet hurt too.'
~ 'All we've done is smack a bunch of turkeys down so far.'
~ 'Hot I can live with, but chick I can do without.'
~ 'Shame on you!'
~ 'You should be ashamed of yourself!'
~ 'Stand up and fight already!'
~ 'I'm in the mood for some good clean violence'
~ 'Get out of the way! You're wasting our time!'
~ And many others that can't be listed so I don't go into a full blown rant any more than I already have. :cat:

Mercen-X
06-16-2006, 10:30 PM
Those reclusive character convos weren't as annoying as having to rexplore areas you've been to time and again to progress the story *ahem*DQ8*

Do I have to beat the game in order to change outfits? I'm supposed to be able to do it outside the Parcelcus's Table. At least, according to BradleyGames official guide.

Mirage
06-16-2006, 10:51 PM
Go to the status screen, then press triangle. You'll be able to change outfits if you have the required number of battle trophies.

Gilthanes
06-16-2006, 11:43 PM
I personally prefer the tri-ace style of battles, where you control not only your characters actions but also their movements. That the ability to evade and dodge your enemies attacks lies not on a basic statistic of probability, but in your reaction time and strategy.

Mercen-X
06-21-2006, 08:57 PM
. . . battle trophies . . . I had the feeling someone might say that. I never turned on the Battle Trophies and I've only got one save so I can't go back to previous battles to gain more. I can turn them on now I guess. How many do I need?

Mirage
06-21-2006, 09:08 PM
To sum it up, in case weren't able to activate them. <.<
1. Battle Trophies can only be collected at the Galaxy level.
2. Only one Battle Trophy file can be saved per memorycard, and they cannot be copied/moved.
3. You need to either create a new Battle Trophy file or import one from a previous playthrough at the beginning of the game. More spesifically, in the battle simulator where you learn how to fight.
4. You have to activate Battle Trophy collecting at that point, but later, it can be turned on or off at any time.

You probably need to start the game over in order to activate battle trophies for your game. The reason you can't collect trophies at the Earth level is that it would be too simple to get them. Some of the trophies are supposed to be rather hard to do.

Here's the list (taken from GameFAQs):
45 Battle Trophies (15%): Unlocks second set of outfits
75 Battle Trophies (25%): Unlocks Universe difficulty mode
120 Battle Trophies (40%): Unlocks third set of outfits
165 Battle Trophies (55%): Unlocks the Music Test
195 Battle Trophies (65%): Unlocks 4D difficulty mode
240 Battle Trophies (80%): Unlocks the fourth set of outfits
285 Battle Trophies (95%): Unlocks Full Active Mode

I only need 7 more trophies to get 40% :D

Copy/paste this URL in to your address bar if you want to check what the trophies are (GameFAQs blocks offsite linking):
http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/star_ocean_3na_battle_trophies_a.txt

Zeromus_X
06-22-2006, 05:15 AM
Yeah, I never figured that out until my third time through the game.

Was the story really that confusing? It made sense to me. If you mean that it's confusing in the sense of all the running around you do...

Well, except the ending. Only recently understood what happened. xD

Lynx
06-22-2006, 05:23 AM
oh my god this game has been consumeing my life i took a little break form it because when i play i play for 5 hours straight so i dont play unless ii have no plans for the day haha. crafting and synthesizeing and all that gets on my nerves though haha.

Ichimonji
06-22-2006, 05:51 AM
The storyline was a bit sketchy, but yeah the battle system was amazing. The biggest feature that I thought was really neat in my opinion was the Battle Trophies. I thought it was really cool to achieve a goal while battling and get a reward for it. However, it did take up quite a lot of space on your memory card.

Dignified Pauper
06-23-2006, 02:40 PM
MP Death, sucks.

um... Fury, don't really like it, but I can manage.

Invention is terrible. (it would be better if I could just pick the cost)

Story, well, it's not as good as SS, but it's not TERRIBLE.

Money in this game is hard to accumulate as well. Meh, I guess I just have a lot of problems with it, however, I'm about to get a change of scenery in the story, it's just taking me a while.

Roogle
06-23-2006, 11:58 PM
The game had a decent concept, but I think that the story was horribly executed. It is one of the few games where you can skip half the game and the story would still mostly make sense.

I have a problem with this game lately because my friend is playing it constantly in a futile attempt to get all those battle trophies. I'll be using his file to play the game in Full Active Mode, the way it was meant to be played, later on.

Zeromus_X
06-24-2006, 04:07 AM

I totally agree with that. I would've been just fine with the way they did it in SO1 and 2.

Don't worry, you'll rake in cash later in the game. xD

X, wrong price, X, wrong price, X, right price, X, lol you missed. *throws controller at screen*

...Yeah.

Heh, maybe someday I'll unlock the FAM. It takes alot of BTs though.

Mirage
06-24-2006, 12:57 PM
MP Death, sucks.

um... Fury, don't really like it, but I can manage.

Story, well, it's not as good as SS, but it's not TERRIBLE.

Money in this game is hard to accumulate as well. Meh, I guess I just have a lot of problems with it, however, I'm about to get a change of scenery in the story, it's just taking me a while.
Fury is a good thing because it stops people from using the most powerful attacks all the time without having to rest for a few seconds. I think it makes sense.

MP death is also fine with me, I haven't been killed too many times by it, and in addition, you can kill enemies with it too, so it's fair for both parts. For example, there is an enemy in Maze of Tribulations who has like 3000 MP and 600000 HP, so guess what's the fastest way of killing them. There are many other enemies like that too.
If you're really bothered with MP death, you can use the convert damage tactical skill. that'll make your MP damage converted to HP damage. This would easily kill low-HP characters though.

Dreddz
06-24-2006, 10:05 PM
TTEOT is pretty poor compared to Second story. While the battles are enjoyable, the story is poor, the locations are all samey and the characters are all cliched and forgettable. And the game is too easy, I beat the game in around 20 hours. The game promises 50 hours +, which is a lie. I know there are side quests and super bosses to beat, but there was little reason to beat them. And im sure that'll only add another 10 hours max to the game. I was also ticked off with the false advertising. Early screens showed futuristic settings and characters. But you only get a taste of that in the second disc, and you spend little time in those places. You spend most of your time in medievil villages, nothing wrong with medievil RPG's, but I felt lied to by Square :mad:

I dont plan to continue with Star Ocean in the future unless the next game is surprising excellent and a must have to RPG fans.....which i doubt it will be.

Mirage
06-24-2006, 10:14 PM
I don't believe that one bit. Even if you skipped all enemy encounters and only killed bosses, that would be nearly impossible, just because of all the time you spend on walking around.
I guess it could be done on easy mode. I used 50 on my first playtrough, and that was at normal difficulty. My second save is at over 90 hours now.

Zeromus_X
06-25-2006, 12:37 AM
SO3's characters weren't any more or any less memorable than SO2's characters. They all had their own little one liners and what-not, etc.

The first time you play through the game, yes, the bonus dungeons will probably take you 80+ hours to complete.

And yes, jeez, you spend the first half of the game on a freaking underdeveloped planet. You did that in all the other SO games. Jesus.

Edit: And Square didn't make the game.

At any rate, regarding MP Killing/Fury...I first thought it was horrible, but I soon learned how you're supposed to use it to your advantage. But yeah, I can totally understand how that would be a negative aspect to some people.

Dreddz
06-25-2006, 12:53 AM
And yes, jeez, you spend the first half of the game on a freaking underdeveloped planet. You did that in all the other SO games. Jesus.

Edit: And Square didn't make the game.

No, but the other SO games didnt promise Sci Fi settings, on the back of the SO3's case it says it has a Sci Fi universe.

And Square Enix requires me to type more.

Mirage
06-25-2006, 01:43 AM
Square Enix didn't either~
And shur, it did, but it didn't bother me, I expected medieval anyway.

Shadowdust
06-25-2006, 01:51 AM
SO3 was okay I guess. At least it filled in some time until Shadow Hearts: From the New World came out. I wouldn't have bought this game if it hadn't been on the Greatest Hits discounted area though. Quite frankly, I was never too fond of the SO series as it always lacks in plot as well as character development. This one though it piqued my interest from time to time didn't really hold me till the end.

The battles were fun at first until I discovered the Battle Gauge doesn't save along with my progress. That really pissed me off as my high levels didn't help it fill up very fast. And without it, levelling up is miserable. So I would just leave me game on 24/7. I think my second game is up to 300 hours. xD I didn't really have a problem with MP death until the monsters started using massive MP attacks on the second disc. Then I was pissed with the whole retarded concept of MP death.

The music was pretty obnoxious as well. There were a couple of nice mellow village themes but for the most part, I started playing the game on mute because the music starts to get irritating after enough times of being re-used, especially the battle music. That seems to be a problem with most games though. I think the only two games I enjoyed in-game music from was FFVIII, Chrono Cross, and the first two Shadow Hearts games.

It's a nice game to pass time with but nothing special. Was it worth the $40 or $50 retail value when it cam out? I don't think so. But it was definitely worth the $15 I paid for it. :D

Zeromus_X
06-25-2006, 02:07 AM
That's funny, because while I really enjoy the special boss themes, the regular boss theme is just...not doing it for me. I guess they're just really repetitive or something. Did anyone else feel like that? :p

Angelroo
06-25-2006, 06:43 AM
SO3 was the first star ocean I played. I got it last summer, but got stuck, then bored with it and turned it in. Got pretty far though. I hated some of the voices. But Sophia annoyed the crap outta me, walkin around with her pants unbuttoned. -.-

Darkwing Bahamut
06-25-2006, 09:02 AM
Star Ocean Till the End of Time is the only Star Ocean game I've played. The battles are fun and in real-time, the music is quite good, though not nearly as good as Final Fantasy music... I liked 'Fallen Leaves' and 'The Desolate Smell of Earth'. The storyline of SO3 was disappointing, mainly because of the stupid plot twist in disc 2. I didn't like most of the characters either, they were extremely annoying, and the terrible voice acting didn't make them any better.

Angelroo
06-25-2006, 10:07 PM
What was the huge plot twist? I traded in my game, but I'm kinda curious...Does anyone know? Spoiler tag it if you must.

Mirage
06-25-2006, 10:11 PM
It is revealed that their universe is a production of higher beings from 4D space, who use the universe as we know it as a gigantic playground. However, humanity has advanced too far, doing "forbidden research", thus, the creator sentences the entire universe to its destruction.