PDA

View Full Version : >> Ouija boards..

black orb
05-24-2006, 07:26 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouija

>>> I`ve heard it is a flawless way to communicate with spirits but there is a risk of being possessed by them..
Maybe some people here has experienced this sort stuff?..

Shoden
05-24-2006, 07:31 PM
*cough* Derik Acorah.

So many rumours. I've seen them and watched them. Madness.

crazybayman
05-24-2006, 07:31 PM
They are complete bull$#@%. Seriously.

The only way they work is if your with a bunch of friends, and one clown secretly decides to move it. oooooo. scary.

VoodooChild
05-24-2006, 07:38 PM
Im not sure if I believe they work...But I will never try them, just incase :P

Rye
05-24-2006, 07:44 PM
I believe that REAL Ouija boards can work, but certainly not the ones you buy at Target in a little box. :p

black orb
05-24-2006, 07:46 PM
>>> Well, the best way to know if it works or not is doing it.. I try to not be skeptical with things I havent tried before..
Sadly I dont have a Ouija board and friends who are willing to do it..

Mirage
05-24-2006, 07:47 PM
I believe that they are just boards, and no matter where you buy them, or how much you pay for them, they don't have a spell cast on them.

Miriel
05-24-2006, 07:53 PM
The accepted theory among psychologists and skeptics is that the participants are subconsciously making small, involuntary, physical movements using a well-known, and well-understood, phenomenon called the Ideomotor effect. Experiments consistently suggest that, at best, the messages are received involuntarily from the participants themselves, and, at worst, by a manipulative player, possibly with the connivance of confederates within the group present.

In some instances, users of talking boards have communicated with "ghosts" of people who were not dead, as demonstrated by the British mentalist Derren Brown in his 2004 television special Derren Brown: Séance. Skeptic and magician James Randi, in his book An Encyclopedia of Claims, Frauds, and Hoaxes of the Occult and Supernatural, points out that when blindfolded, Ouija board operators are unable to produce intelligible messages. Magicians Penn & Teller performed a similar demonstration in an episode of their television show Bull/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif!.

These failures indicate, as skeptics believe, that people are simply very willing to fool themselves, for example, by the Forer effect. The public (and frequently energetically flaunted) expression of native and genuine fears and subconscious desires, often concerning death or sex, while appearing genuine, can frighten impressionable people, or cause them to loosen their purse strings (or both). It is for this reason alone that many skeptics suggest that the Ouija board is best avoided, particularly when each player may not absolutely trust, or know, every other player.

I pretty much agree with all of that.

Yamaneko
05-24-2006, 07:57 PM
You'd be an idiot to believe that you can talk to the dead through a piece of cardboard/wood.

Reles
05-24-2006, 08:00 PM
Not really sure what to believe. I've tried it with my friends Ashley and Rachel once. Everytime all three of us would try it, nothing would happen, but when Ashley takes her hands off the thing it started moving really fast and saying yes and no.

Nothing really spooky has really happened, but at first I didn't like the idea of participating because back then I was beginning to jump out of Catholicism. Anyway...I'm not really sure what to believe.

escobert
05-25-2006, 12:44 AM
Never tried one so I dunno. :p

Faris
05-25-2006, 12:55 AM
I believe that REAL Ouija boards can work, but certainly not the ones you buy at Target in a little box. :p
Also, those kind of stories give me the chills, so I don't want to try or be too close to one. I wouldn't want to talk to the dead anyway.

mega_tonberry
05-25-2006, 12:57 AM
After using one numerous times, I can safely say that the entire idea is absurd. It's all overactive imagination and involuntary (or if your an ass, voluntary) movement.

Sephex
05-25-2006, 07:35 AM
There was this one time that I threw and Ouija board at my friend's little brother. He was screaming because it was the first thing he saw as he woke up.

Jojee
05-25-2006, 07:38 AM
I don't even know what they look like and how they're supposed to work. I know some friends who got freaked out by those things, am not particularly interested to try o_O;; But who knows, it might be fun someday, if I ever figure out how it works ;P

nik0tine
05-25-2006, 09:23 AM
I sincerely doubt that Matel has the capability to communicate with spirits.

Loony BoB
05-25-2006, 10:46 AM
Wikipedia apparently knows the score. I don't like them at all.

Cz
05-25-2006, 11:04 AM
Ouija boards, mediums and the like are all utterly hilarious. :p

Mittopotahis
05-25-2006, 12:45 PM
You'd be an idiot to believe that you can talk to the dead through a piece of cardboard/wood.
and

I sincerely doubt that Matel has the capability to communicate with spirits.
sums up my opinion.

Oh, and they are evil :(

Anaisa
05-25-2006, 02:29 PM
They can work, but that's not to say that their going to work everytime you use one.

~SapphireStar~
05-25-2006, 02:57 PM
Ive never done one and I never will. My stepdad did one with his mates when he was a teenager.

bipper
05-25-2006, 02:59 PM
I beleive they could work, as I beleive very much in demonic forces and the tensions of the spiritual as per mentioned via my religion.

I think tampering with the dead is retarded though, and pointless. If I wanted to hang out and chill with dead people I woulda been a politician.

Bipper

Old Manus
05-25-2006, 05:04 PM
I think tampering with the dead is retarded though, and pointless. If I wanted to hang out and chill with dead people I woulda been a politician.
Win

DarkLadyNyara
05-26-2006, 06:52 AM
I'm very skeptical about demons and spirits in general, (there is a reason why I'm agnostic :D) and I would think that they'd have better things to do than move a piece of cardboard around. :rolleyes2

The accepted theory among psychologists and skeptics is that the participants are subconsciously making small, involuntary, physical movements using a well-known, and well-understood, phenomenon called the Ideomotor effect. Experiments consistently suggest that, at best, the messages are received involuntarily from the participants themselves, and, at worst, by a manipulative player, possibly with the connivance of confederates within the group present.

Yep, that about covers it. Never underestimate the ability of humans to deceive themselves.

Bipper wins this round. :D

FallenAngel411
05-26-2006, 06:56 AM
Well, I'm no politician but I did try it once for fun. We all had our eyes closed and the thing did start moving, but I thought it was just someone being stupid. When I opened my eyes, I was the only one with my hands on it, and everyone else was just kinda standing around and staring at me, and it was still moving...it stopped when I jumped away from it. So...I don't know. :-/