PDA

View Full Version : Billy Joel reminds me of Adv. English thesis papers. ;_;

Rye
05-24-2006, 09:15 PM
I love Billy Joel. Uptown Girl is a big love of mine. xD The only thing is that I had to write a 7 page thesis paper on his "We Didn't Start The Fire" and now, and forever more, I hate that song with a burning passion. So, has anything ever been ruined for you by school or a project?

Miriel
05-24-2006, 09:32 PM
I had to write a 10 page analytical paper on The Breakfast Club for one of my film classes and I began to loathe the movie after about the 3rd consecutive viewing. I can't imagine that it'll be anything less than a decade before I'll willingly watch that movie again.

Strangely enough, I had to do a similar essay on Hedwig and the Angry Inch but I fell in love with that movie rather than hating it.

Tavrobel
05-24-2006, 09:54 PM
I love Billy Joel. Uptown Girl is a big love of mine. xD The only thing is that I had to write a 7 page thesis paper on his "We Didn't Start The Fire" and now, and forever more, I hate that song with a burning passion. So, has anything ever been ruined for you by school or a project?

Anything with caffeine in it. Damned 10 page thesis. Science class, of course. Also, anything that can remotely be called American Literature.

But uhh, considering your hate; I guess he DID start the fire. Billy Joel is a liar! Did you wake up this morning eating a bowl of lies, Mr. Joel?

Chris
05-24-2006, 10:09 PM
I only know "Uptown Girl." :upsidedow

My obsession with Grace has ruined many things for me. ><

Shoeberto
05-24-2006, 10:12 PM
In sixth grade, we had to listen to "We Didn't Start the Fire" about a hundred times in social studies, read through the lyrics, probably sing along, and then do individual research presentations on various topics presented throughout, so I kind of share your hatred for the song.

Yamaneko
05-24-2006, 10:17 PM
Reminds me of the time I did my dissertation on how "Stairway to Heaven" was a social commentary on gender roles in 1970's England. Oh wait.

Rye
05-24-2006, 10:22 PM
In sixth grade, we had to listen to "We Didn't Start the Fire" about a hundred times in social studies, read through the lyrics, probably sing along, and then do individual research presentations on various topics presented throughout, so I kind of share your hatred for the song.

I forgot to mention that we also had to make up our own version of his song with events from a specific few years in History, and then sing it infront of the class in a small group of 3 to a bad midi file of it. ;__;

Tavrobel
05-24-2006, 11:02 PM
I forgot to mention that we also had to make up our own version of his song with events from a specific few years in History, and then sing it infront of the class in a small group of 3 to a bad midi file of it. ;__;

Ouch. Well, look on the bright side, you had a MIDI to put the blame on.

eestlinc
05-24-2006, 11:42 PM
My college roommate freshman year in the dorms used to sit around and sing Billy Joel songs in his underwear. And he was tone deaf. And we would take my cds out of my cd player and scratch them up (when he invariably dropped them on the floor) to play his crappy Billy Joel Greatest Hits vol 3 cd. And Billy Joel's third volume of greatest hits are not very good songs.

So I don't like Billy Joel.

I Took the Red Pill
05-24-2006, 11:43 PM
Stem Cell research interested me until I had to write a 15 page research paper on it.

Hawkeye
05-25-2006, 12:04 AM
Writing a paper on Piano Man would be fun. I could talk about people getting high :D

Mr. Graves
05-25-2006, 01:58 AM
I had to watch "Of Mice And Men" during my 9th grade Social Studies class. Being a ignorant 15 year-old, I thought it was highly dumb and boring at the time. Having watched it again a month ago, I have a higher appreciation for the movie.

Levian
05-25-2006, 02:04 AM
I had a mid-term on Avril Lavigne's Sk8er boi. I wish I was kidding.

The subject was English so they didn't really care what we wrote, just checking if it was written right.

-N-
05-25-2006, 02:06 AM
I took a class in Analysis of Rock Music, where I got to write papers analyzing all my favorite songs. It just made me love them more and gave me a new perspective on enjoying music.

KaakoriX
05-25-2006, 02:09 AM
I had to write a 10 page analytical paper on The Breakfast Club for one of my film classes and I began to loathe the movie after about the 3rd consecutive viewing. I can't imagine that it'll be anything less than a decade before I'll willingly watch that movie again.

OMG... last yr in grd 8 we had to watch that like 4 times and write an essay "clearly identifing all the themes throughout the movie" and all this crap on the "development of the characters"......we have yet to do anything like that this year...

escobert
05-25-2006, 02:48 AM
piano man is <3

Vincent, Thunder God
05-26-2006, 10:17 PM
I have a bunch of Billy Joel albums... I'm not a huge fan, but I really liked the Stranger, 52nd Street and the Bridge.

Old Manus
05-26-2006, 10:23 PM
Owned. Just owned.