PDA

View Full Version : Square Enix Responds to PS3 FF VII Rumors

Crossblades
05-25-2006, 12:12 AM
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/709/709775p1.html

The June 2006 issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly has ignited a bit of a firestorm with a comment made in its PS3 feature section. The buzz-creating quote in particular refers to a PlayStation 3 remake of the classic PSOne RPG, Final Fantasy VII.

"Last year, Square Enix teased everyone with what was called the "FFVII PS3 demo," the article states. "Well, what do you know? This test case was really a sneak peek at a next-gen revival of the PS1 role-playing hit."

Naturally, the Internet has been posting "FF7 REMAKE TEH CONFIRMED!!!" stories ever since. But we wanted to go straight to the source and find out if this was really the case. When asked, this is what Square Enix representatives told IGN directly:

Right now, this tech demo is all there is.

"Since the FINAL FANTASY VII tech demo at E3 2005, there have been a lot of rumors about the presentation hinting at an actual remake. While the June 2006 issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly confirms the remake for release in 2007, Square Enix has never stated this.

We have however confirmed that development has begun for Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy Versus XIII on PlayStation 3. These titles are part of the Fabula Nova Crystallis Project which also includes a mobile game titled FINAL FANTASY Agito XIII."

Does Square Enix's statements mean that the possibility of a Final Fantasy VII remake is zero? To the hopeful, definitely not. But what it does mean is, that as of right now, the Japanese giant has not confirmed or stated that the game is real in any official or documented capacity.

More as it develops, as we're sure we haven't heard the last of this just yet.

Hopefully this will prove once and for all that there is no remake for FF VII..............for now anyways

Uhanimar
05-25-2006, 02:10 AM
I had a feeling. I must say though, a remake of FFVII would make everyone love them even more. It would also give them more fans. I know people who don't like the game just because it has awful graphics. But i mean seriusly, it would rock wouldn't it? :choc2:

Crossblades
05-25-2006, 02:21 AM
I had a feeling. I must say though, a remake of FFVII would make everyone love them even more. It would also give them more fans. I know people who don't like the game just because it has awful graphics. But i mean seriusly, it would rock wouldn't it? :choc2:

It would, but remaking a game like that would take loads of time. They rather dedicate that time to other projects

grimloch
05-25-2006, 05:38 PM
It would, but remaking a game like that would take loads of time.

It would also make them butt-loads of cashola.

crazybayman
05-25-2006, 05:41 PM
Hopefully this will prove once and for all that there is no remake for FF VII..............for now anyways
Thank-you.

Crossblades
05-25-2006, 09:44 PM
It would, but remaking a game like that would take loads of time.

It would also make them butt-loads of cashola.

True true

Emerald weapon
05-25-2006, 09:55 PM
yeah a remake of FF7 would make them 3 times as much mula as ff13 and its sequel and prequel

Cloud_Reno_
05-26-2006, 02:03 AM
I want new stories, not graphics!

Uhanimar
05-26-2006, 02:14 AM
It's not just graphics that would be in a remake. It would also be the music, it would be everything. I just thought that Final Fantasy VII didn't give a full impact because of it's graphics and sound. I mean seriusly. Out of all of the FF games, This one is pretty much known as the best. And the best should at least be treated to some decent graphics and sound. Instead of MIDI music and 15 polygon models. (They were good models at least. :D )

Starcrest
05-26-2006, 03:01 AM
well for the time...they were fine, and the music was awsome anyway. if they remade it, yeah, people'd be happy, but the die-hards might be a little upset...but anyway, I'd be happy, but would I buy it? probably not. not if i have to spend uber mounts of money on a ps3 just to play it...but if I ended up getting a ps3, sure I'd buy it, after XIII

Carl the Llama
05-26-2006, 02:04 PM
yeah a remake of FF7 would make them 3 times as much mula as ff13 and its sequel and prequel
your judgeing a game even before its been relesed? and also all the people who would buy FFVII would probly buy FFXIII aswell

Vyk
05-29-2006, 12:38 AM
That's like the third time EGM has stated that. It started in the Rumor Mill section. I hate to say it, but my guess is they have inside information from someone within the company. Square's just not ready to be "official" with the information. Companies like to keep things under wraps for some reason to surprise or build anticipation as rumors leak. That's how the whole franchise of FF7 has worked so far. Before Crisis and Crisis core were only known by name for the longest time. Advent Children had one hell of a journey. A 30 minute clip that was never really confirmed to be heading outside of Japan became a 90 minute movie with a simultaneous release. Which fell through with no word. No release date on the horizon. They could have cancelled it for all we knew at the time. They're just pulling the same old /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif. Zero info does not mean confirmed denial. Everytime someone's asked about it all they do is dance around the issue. It's always "we'd like to, but we can't confirm any project like that currently". Which everyone reads as "no". Its just simply "no comment". Its the way PR in the industry works. So, despite that block quote at the beginning of the topic. It doesn't change anything. It's still just wait and see

Zeromus_X
05-29-2006, 12:40 AM
Finally, stupid people can shut up now.

Crossblades
05-30-2006, 03:55 AM

Bit harsh ain't it?:p

Aralith
05-30-2006, 06:59 AM
You must realize in a remake, that it has to be just more than sound and graphic updates. One of the reasons VII was such a breeakthrough game is because that was a pivotal point in Squaresoft (now Squarenix) because it was one of the first games where the main plotlines weren't focused on defeating the badguys, but on the relations between the characters.

It was the first FF game rated teen because of that, and because of a number of other things. Another reason VII was such a breakthrough, is because it had a big "Surprise, Aerith dies" right in the middle of it. No one expected it. In fact, that death was so controversial, that to this day there are still rumors running around about how you can revive her (not that any of them are true).

My point is, the game would have to add something else in that would totally impact the player. It's pretty hard to be more impacting than killing off a loved character, and killing off another one would ruin the rest of the story.

Also, the game would have to do the original story justice, but also add in enough new ideas to make it feel like FFVII veterans aren't playing the same game just with better sound and graphics. The sales wouldn't be nearly as high if they didn't take these things into account.

I'd really love for them to come out with a remake of VII, but I would hate it if they ruined it for me. It's (in my opinion) the best FF game, and one of the games in my ultimate top ten (not really sure where it ranks, hard to decided once you get that high).

My point is, if they're making a remake, probably the reason that they would be not commenting is because they don't want to build up a bunch of hype and then produce a flop. It would be better for their fan base (though not maybe for their wallet at first) if Square had a silent release, and then see what the reviews for it were before building up hype. It wouldn't be the first time they've done it.

Yliette
05-30-2006, 07:13 AM
The least they can do for FF fans is design the PS3 to be backwards compatible even for PSOne games. With today's technology, I believe it's possible to do so!

Zeromus_X
05-30-2006, 07:31 AM

Bit harsh ain't it?:p

Yeah, well I'm sick of people always going off about that nifty tech demo, so meh. :cat:

You must realize in a remake, that it has to be just more than sound and graphic updates. One of the reasons VII was such a breeakthrough game is because that was a pivotal point in Squaresoft (now Squarenix) because it was one of the first games where the main plotlines weren't focused on defeating the badguys, but on the relations between the characters.

So were IV, V, and VI. It only really started getting complex in VI.

The reason FFVII was so popular is because it's the first worldwide FF. Everyone got a taste of the FF experience, not just NA and JP. And it's properly numbered too, go figure.

It was the first FF game rated teen because of that, and because of a number of other things. Another reason VII was such a breakthrough, is because it had a big "Surprise, Aerith dies" right in the middle of it. No one expected it. In fact, that death was so controversial, that to this day there are still rumors running around about how you can revive her (not that any of them are true).

It was rated teen because Sony didn't censor so avidly like Nintendo did.

There's a martyr in almost all of the FF games, sometimes more than one. (However unneccesary they may be at times...) I don't really see how the death was so controversial, maybe unexpected by some, but having a main character die a teary tragic death with emotional piano music isn't that new.

And yeah, I also hate those annoying rumors.

My point is, the game would have to add something else in that would totally impact the player. It's pretty hard to be more impacting than killing off a loved character, and killing off another one would ruin the rest of the story.

Also, the game would have to do the original story justice, but also add in enough new ideas to make it feel like FFVII veterans aren't playing the same game just with better sound and graphics. The sales wouldn't be nearly as high if they didn't take these things into account.

I'd really love for them to come out with a remake of VII, but I would hate it if they ruined it for me. It's (in my opinion) the best FF game, and one of the games in my ultimate top ten (not really sure where it ranks, hard to decided once you get that high)

Well, yeah. They'd have to add in some other optional super-boss/dungeon, like the other remakes. Then again, many people that already like the game (including me, if that's a surprise) would enjoy it just the same, without lego people. Although I don't know why they'd have to kill off another main character. Changing the plotline would be very odd.

Anyway, it's not like I wouldn't like a remake. I'm just sick of people always saying there will be one, when there hasn't been any official word of it yet. And I could've sworn I've seen this same article like five times already...:cat:

The least they can do for FF fans is design the PS3 to be backwards compatible even for PSOne games. With today's technology, I believe it's possible to do so!

The PS3 will be backwards-compatible with PS2 and PS1 games. :)

Aralith
05-30-2006, 08:06 AM
Actually, the death of Aeris is rather controversial, not just because so many people still believe that it's reversible, but also for a number of other reasons. One of which being why she died. Now, some say that she had to die, otherwise the she couldn't have summoned the Lifestream to save the Planet at the end and save the world. This is true, but it's not neccessarily why she died.

Her death was in no way meant to be sacrificial (though it ended up being so anyway). In fact, the officially stated reason for Aerith's death was to prove that death wasn't always some dramatic, "I'm gonna sacrifice myself for love" kind of thing. In fact, most of the time it isn't.

Aerith's death was not supposed to be dramatic, quite the opposite in fact. She's just sitting there praying while Cloud is about to kill her, when Sephiroth just out of nowhere comes down and stabs her from behind. She just kind of flops over and dies. There's no last breath of "Cloud I love you" or "Why did it have to be so soon" or anything like that. She just died.

So, upon close examination, Aerith's death actually is quite controversial. I'm getting a little off topic here sorry. Once again, I think this is why Aerith's death is such an impact to the player of the game.

I didn't say that they should kill off another main character. I was just saying the only way to bring about something as tragic as Aerith's death would be to kill off another character. As you and I both stated, Zeromus_X, that would completely and unneccesarily change the story. It just can't be done.

Nothing about a remake is going to have as much of an effect as Aerith's death did in the first game. Nothing.

Zeromus_X
05-30-2006, 08:23 AM
Oh, well yeah, in that way, it would be controversial. Heh, sorry. :cat: I see what you mean more clearly now. :cat:

Setzer Gabianni
05-30-2006, 08:31 AM
So, this is for definite - PS1 and PS2 games WILL work on the PS3?

~Setzer Gabianni

Zeromus_X
05-30-2006, 08:47 AM
Yes, it will. Although, it shouldn't be that surprising. (Sony'd be stupid not to.)

Here's proof, if you want. (http://www.cavesofnarshe.com/forums/ipb/index.php?showtopic=8278)

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
05-30-2006, 10:34 AM
actually i don't think that a remake of ff7 would bring in that much money. it would take a lot of funds to remakes it and put it on the shelves. and some fans might just think "i already have it, i see little reason as to why i should spend £60 to get it again"

i would not be among these people btw. if it were re-released, i would buy it.

but it appears that no matter how many times square says "we are NOT remaking ff7 for the ps3" there will be people saying "but you are really aren't you!?"

the world is so full of mistrust . . .

this leads me onto my next issue . . . drugs . . .

Aralith
05-30-2006, 10:57 PM
I quite agree. A remake of FFVII would not rake in that much money, for reasons previously stated. Fanboys would probably be the only ones that would buy it (I'm not saying that in a bad way because I am most definitely ascribed to the group of fanboys that VII has). Square would probably not make that much money off of the general populace of the world.

Zeromus_X
05-30-2006, 11:23 PM
If they waited for like, ten or twenty years or so for it to really become 'old school', I'd think it'd work out really well.

Crossblades
05-31-2006, 04:53 PM
If they waited for like, ten or twenty years or so for it to really become 'old school', I'd think it'd work out really well.

Quoted for truth

Dreddz
06-04-2006, 01:29 AM
Lame. Still, I reckon at one stage they will remake the game, hopefully before I go off games.

Carl the Llama
06-04-2006, 09:49 AM
why oh why do i always see these types of threads? if they are going to rerelease it then they will and no amout of "I have proof that it will/wont be coming out" will ever change that, sorry to sound so harsh but dont you find it a bit tedious seeing these threads (no offence CB) at the end of the day if they relese it then they will say somthing.

Slothy
06-04-2006, 01:23 PM
sorry to sound so harsh but dont you find it a bit tedious seeing these threads (no offence CB) at the end of the day if they relese it then they will say somthing.

It is tedious seeing these threads, but usually they're in response to fans believing the rumours they hear are true and ignoring that Square has said multiple times no remake is planned. In this case, it was a major gaming mag claiming the remake to be real, therefore I think a topic that debunks that story is justified. This isn't a case of "I heard about an FFVII remake from a guy at school." This is a major gaming mag saying something stupid.

That's like the third time EGM has stated that. It started in the Rumor Mill section. I hate to say it, but my guess is they have inside information from someone within the company. Square's just not ready to be "official" with the information.

That could be true, however I do find it hard to believe they're working on a remake right now. They currently have quite a few projects on the go, which includes three next-gen titles (maybe even more for all I know). If they are planning a remake it won't come out anytime soon, and might not even receive much attention in the development phase until FFXIII is either finished or at least closer to release. It's also good to keep in mind that EGM has published rumour as fact in the past. I've seen at least one example myself, and I've seen former editors (at the time working for other mags, so take it with a grain of salt I guess) admit that it happened over there quite a bit. Until they have a major article, with an interview of someone at Square as opposed to barely a sentence tucked away in a corner of one page, I'm not going to put any stock in a single thing they say.

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
06-07-2006, 01:04 AM
Instead of a remake for those who want it, just import FFVII International. It's got some new stuff on a fourth disc, better bonus material than FFVI. That's as close as you're gonna get to a remake.