PDA

View Full Version : A newbie is me

dodhungry
05-25-2006, 02:45 AM
Yes I am a newbie to this game (not a newbie to other FF games though) and I was wondering if any advice could be given out.

I was looking at some previous threads and seen this website
http://1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=0&cId=3149797

I also seen the adive for Crossblades.

But I am just wondering if there is anything else that would be benificial.
BTW Don't get killed won't cut it.

Oh I am a Hume Monk (ha ha seems to be a popular choice) in Sandy. Even after 4 hous of play I have not done much of anything. :( But yep thats all part of being a newb. so yeah advice would be helpful.

Markus. D
05-25-2006, 06:30 AM
Yay! Another MNK.

hopefully you could catch up to mine while it is temp paused (playing KH1 <_<)

Learn how to use Auction House (closest one North Auction House?), buy all of your equipment there, keeping in mind not to buy for to high a price (I think it is cheaper to buy your level 8 Equipment in Selbina, which is next to Valkrum Dunes).

Join or Make a Linkshell, it is like the "guilds" of FFXI.

do Missions/Quests in moderations (eg. dont do missions that you will know will take you hours and hours upon end cause your character isnt ready yet)

hmmm...

Try to max out the Combat Skill for H2H every level, means you will be slightly more effective in parties and learn skills alot quicker.

buy a pair of Tropical Punches or TPunches +1, this will further effectiveness in parties as you wont miss as much (gosh its like... +12 dex)

stay with the game if you get frustrated, and take a break (a short one) if it doesnt awe you out any more.

Yeargdribble
05-25-2006, 08:36 AM
I'm not sure what all this advice is about buying at the AH. IMO it's a really bad idea for a new player and the downfall of most. On my server it's around 5000g for a set of bronze gear on the AH and about 500g from an NPC vendor at the armor shop in Southern Sandy. By the time you're level 8 you'll most likely have to buy from the AH. MNK(NIN and SAM) get a different gear set at 8 whereas most melees get a different gear set at 7 which is easily bought very cheaply at the NPC as well.

Don't throw away Beastmen's Seals.

Sell crystals on the AH. Sell pretty much everything you can on the AH. Unless it goes for next to nothing on the AH don't sell it at an NPC vendor. Learn to look things up on the AH to check their price history and sell it for around that price to make the most profit.

If you're hurting for money you can buy stuff (like a set of bronze gear) at the NPC and sell it on the AH for profit.

Learn to /check mobs (if you're on PC it's Ctrl+C while targeted on them ). Try to just fight things that are EP and DC. While it may seem epic to fight EM and T mobs you'll end up dead and losing XP more often than not that way.

Find out early if this is the game for you. It's not for everyone. It takes a pretty massive investment of time to really enjoy the game but is definitely worth it. Lower levels can be especially frustrating. As much as it may seem like there's not much to do early on except grind XP it gets much better the more you proress.

Mirage
05-25-2006, 12:23 PM
Which server are you on? If you're all alone you might want to switch to one of those EOFFF people play on...