PDA

View Full Version : Well pulled off deaths (SPOILERS)

YTDN
05-25-2006, 06:22 PM
What deaths in the games do you think were pulled off well?

Personally I think Aeris' death was the best. It just.. worked. It was so sudden and it made me cry.

ekinserge
05-25-2006, 06:25 PM
the death of schmidt in grandia 3...

my tears fall slowly...oh my god, i cry...

crono_logical
05-25-2006, 06:31 PM
I liked the way the Suikoden 2 one that happened towards the end of the game much better than Aeris's :p Assuming you then go on to get the not-best ending, anyway :p

~SapphireStar~
05-25-2006, 06:33 PM
What deaths in the games do you think were pulled off well?
Guys this is General FF, so shes refering to the FF series isnt she?

I say Aeris cause her death was a blow and unexpected.

NeoCracker
05-25-2006, 06:39 PM
While other series have had better, such as Lufia 2, in FF one of the better ones was Leo and, When Shadow stays behind on the collapsing Kefka's tower in the end.

LunarWeaver
05-25-2006, 06:40 PM
When Chocobo Number 4 died in Final Fantasy Tactics and turned into a crystal I crawled into bed and cried for 3 days

Shin Gouken
05-25-2006, 06:48 PM
Galuf. He gets a kickass heroic battle before he dies. Shame about krile though

Elpizo
05-25-2006, 06:53 PM
Nothing is wrong with Krile.
But you're right, Galuf's death was the most dramatic.
FF II overdid the "charcters-dying".

Captain Maxx Power
05-25-2006, 07:18 PM
The death of Galuf, pacing-wise, is probably the first time the FF series got it right. I mean, in the previous titles the characters either resumed the storyline in a matter of seconds, or the characters came back later. In FF5, the story didn't just go on. There's just an extremely long pause and silence...very well executed.

jesteranimefreak
05-25-2006, 08:12 PM
The final death sequence for Sephiroth in VII. :D :mwahaha:

NeoCracker
05-25-2006, 08:15 PM
I forgot Galuf, his is definatly the best.

rubah
05-25-2006, 08:54 PM
Josef

okay, I'm sorta kidding, but he was pretty awesome:(

Galuf however, I'd cry over him instead of Aeris any day of the week.

I think Auron's death was pulled off well!

Shin Gouken
05-25-2006, 09:02 PM
Nothing is wrong with Krile.
But you're right, Galuf's death was the most dramatic.
FF II overdid the "charcters-dying".

I just don't like her much....

...but i mean no-one can follow galuf he was a legend. If she hadnt of stepped in immediatley after he died but joined a while later then it wouldn't be so bad. Her jumping in 2 seconds after galuf died was the only thing spoiling that dramatic scene

Slothy
05-25-2006, 10:48 PM
I had Aeris death spoiled for me before I got to it, but even then, I didn't really feel anything when I found out or when I got to that part. Now Cid from FFVI on the other hand (assuming you let him die, which most people do at least the first time) had more of an effect on me. It led to one of the more interesting scenes of the game, which was also way ahead of it's time as far as video game story telling.

Moon Rabbits
05-25-2006, 10:58 PM
Auron's sending at the end of FFX.

Galuf's death.

Palom and Porom turning themselves to stone (not really a death, but you know)

Roogle
05-25-2006, 11:00 PM
the death of schmidt in grandia 3...

my tears fall slowly...oh my god, i cry...

Schmidt may not have died. Since the plot of Grandia III leaves many things untouched, we cannot say for sure.

Tempest
05-26-2006, 12:35 AM
Auron's sending at the end of FFX.

Galuf's death.

Palom and Porom turning themselves to stone (not really a death, but you know)
Yes to all of those.

The Last Ancient
05-26-2006, 04:57 AM
I hated how it seemed everyone who died in Final Fantasy IV came back to life at the end, it killed the drama.

Aeris death has gotta take the cake, not just the death but the lead up to it with Cloud losing control and the dream he had and the environment of the ancient city with the music was amazing.

The death of Cid in FF VI was sad too but it really just pissed me off cause no matter what I do I can't get him to live, no matter how many tasty fish he eats the bastard won't live.

FFX with Auron was really well done and the realization that Tidus is just a dream of the fayth and his "death" and when Yuna runs through him, is very memorable as well.

rubah
05-26-2006, 06:33 AM
I was glad to let Cid die so celes would turn emo 8)

DeathKnight
05-26-2006, 12:19 PM
Does Auron's departure count???

I REALLY HATE deaths in rpgs, a lot of times the GREAT characters die...and that's smurfed up :irked:

Look at Aeris, she's 59 billion times better than Tifa, yet she's the one who dies, and Cloud just buries her underwater and moves on without REALLY remembering her again 'till then end. Bad bad story making.

Twilight Edge
05-26-2006, 01:07 PM
Aeris.I never saw a scene like you-were-trying-to-kill-the-girl-yourself-and-suddenly-the-bad-guy-jumps-out-of-nowhere-and-kills-her-instead.And I was like WTF?!She was supposed to be the main female character!CURSE YOU,SEPHIROTH!!

jesteranimefreak
05-26-2006, 01:29 PM
Aeris.I never saw a scene like you-were-trying-to-kill-the-girl-yourself-and-suddenly-the-bad-guy-jumps-out-of-nowhere-and-kills-her-instead.And I was like WTF?!She was supposed to be the main female character!CURSE YOU,SEPHIROTH!!

Which is one of the reasons why I say that the Sephiroth blowing up and returning to the lifestream scene is by far the most satisfying scene there is. :D

BTW, people have argued about who the main female character of VII is.... but let's not in this thread or forum. Please...

Twilight Edge
05-26-2006, 02:00 PM
Sephiroth should be blown up in AC too......don't you think?

Dell
05-26-2006, 05:26 PM
When my Vivi die in a battle.

EDIT: DeathKnight, Tifa is 100 billion times better than Aeris. And FFVII story are my favourite.

DeathKnight
05-26-2006, 05:58 PM
When my Vivi die in a battle.

EDIT: DeathKnight, Tifa is 100 billion times better than Aeris. And FFVII story are my favourite.

Ok, good for you, my opinion STILL STANDS that Aeries is 59 TRILLION times better: story-wise, attitude-wise, and meaningful-wise, than Tifa, who's just there in Cloud's shadow...doing....NOTHING.

Dell
05-26-2006, 06:46 PM
I give up, I'm not going to burn this thread just because of this. But my opinion about Tifa will be the same.

DJZen
05-28-2006, 02:33 PM
Josef's by far. That scene chokes me up every time. He basically kills himself to save three people he doesn't know very well, leaving his daughter behind with no parents. That's just straight out of a Greek tragedy, man.

Runners up include Tellah, Galuf, Shadow and Tidus. Aeris is disqualified on the grounds of she deserved it. :D

Darth Cid
05-28-2006, 02:43 PM
Aeris is disqualified on the grounds of she deserved it.

Zidane: LOL. That's true, if she hadn't ran away from the party and went to pray for Holy alone, she might have survived. That's stupidity right there.

Dell
05-28-2006, 03:00 PM
Aeris is disqualified on the grounds of she deserved it.

Zidane: I cried aloud with mirth and merriment. That's true, if she hadn't ran away from the party and went to pray for Holy alone, she might have survived. That's stupidity right there.

Quoted For Truth! Tifa is way better than Aeris! But Rydia wins!

Darth Cid
05-28-2006, 03:03 PM
Zidane: Rydia didn't die.

Dell
05-28-2006, 03:13 PM
Zidane: Rydia didn't die.

When they are separated, I thought Rydia die!

But anyway, Rydia is always my favourite even if she die or not!:love: Rydia :love:

minki
05-28-2006, 05:26 PM
I thought Cait Sith #1 getting knocked off was a good one because it was so unexpected...though you really weren't emotionally invested in the character.

jesteranimefreak
05-28-2006, 08:05 PM
Cait Sith = traitor! lol

Anyway.... I still say Sephiroth... but second place goes to Aries and third goes to the members of Avalance during the Battle for Sector 7! :D

Darth Cid
05-29-2006, 03:19 AM
Ok, good for you, my opinion STILL STANDS that Aeries is 59 TRILLION times better: story-wise, attitude-wise, and meaningful-wise, than Tifa, who's just there in Cloud's shadow...doing....NOTHING.

Zidane: I did want to add one thing, though I did say Aerith's death scene was created by pure stupidity, you're wrong, Aerith isn't 59 trillion times better than Tifa, she's 59,013,102,346 times better than Tifa to be exact, I've calculated. I'd say Tellah's death was the best, but it wasn't after the realization he let the rage kill him basically. Galuf, he gave it all, and it saved his grand-daughter and his friends who continue to carry his memory.

Zeromus_X
05-29-2006, 03:27 AM
And still lived on even though he had 0 HP. Truly a brave soul. :P

My ranking:

1 ~ Galuf
2 ~ Tida
3 ~ Aerith
4 ~ Leo
5 ~ The other slightly unnecessary plot-moving-on deaths in FFII/III.

But when you think about it, most of them died of stupidity anyway. :cat:

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-29-2006, 06:36 AM
This isn't the thread for Aeris vs. Tifa. Knock it off, all of you.

Fantasy Fan
05-29-2006, 11:44 AM
Galuf's death, Kuja's death, Tellah's death and Aerith's death! :D But Galuf's is definately above the others!!!

jesteranimefreak
05-29-2006, 03:02 PM
Sephiroth should be blown up in AC too......don't you think?

I didn't see this here! lol Yes he should have but no! He just turns back into Kadaj.... ah well.

Silvercry
05-29-2006, 03:07 PM
Aeris's death really got to me, but I was tottaly sucked ino the story.

For going out with Style, Auron wins hands down.

The honorable mention for "Character That I Wished Would Die the Entire Game And When I Got My Wish I Nearly Cried" award goes to Tidus. I felt so bad for poor Yuna.

FF X-2 only manages to cheapen that scene.

boys from the dwarf
05-29-2006, 08:16 PM
although i neverliked aeris much, her death is one of the best scenes. the cruelty and heartlesness of Sephiroth makes the scene 10 times better. sephiroth is the main reason i like that scene. galufs death is amazing. a truly great scene. the death in FF 2 were great but didnt stand out much.

FallenAngel411
05-29-2006, 11:34 PM
I guess Aeris's scene was well done, though I liked Auron better as a character. As for general gaming, I would say Mayu from Project Zero.

Psychotic
05-30-2006, 12:10 AM
I thought Cait Sith #1 getting knocked off was a good one because it was so unexpected...though you really weren't emotionally invested in the character.Yeah, I thought that one was good too, and executed well. I was actually sad when he died because of the build up to it.

Dignified Pauper
05-30-2006, 01:04 AM
lets see here...

Queen Brahne had an interesting death.

I liked Tellah's death.

General Leo was sad.

Gestahl's death rocked... kicked off a floating island mmm

Um, a sweet death occurs with Mog in FF6 if you take the gold hairpin and let him fall to his doom. That's always fun.

any character in FFT who dies... Teta, balbanes, etc. all done well

as far as the best deaths ever... um.. every death in the suikoden series.

Slothy
05-30-2006, 02:44 AM
Um, a sweet death occurs with Mog in FF6 if you take the gold hairpin and let him fall to his doom. That's always fun.

He doesn't die, you just have to wait until the WOR to get him the first time.

Dignified Pauper
05-30-2006, 05:59 AM
oh, well that sucks. I never played much without him, i just liked watching him fall, so i save-state it... maybe i'm cruel.

Zeromus_X
05-30-2006, 06:02 AM
Besides, you want one of the cheapest accessories in the game, Moogle Charm. :P

I just can't get over the whole 0 HP thing though. And they kept using items on him, and I was like "hey! stop using my elixirs!"

So yeah.

DarkLadyNyara
05-30-2006, 08:47 AM
Aeris's death was well done, regardless of how you feel about her as a character. That whole scene is just... wrong. :D I also thought Josef's death was good. Ricard's, though, was just pointless. If it was up to me, I'd have let Leon die. ;)

Zeromus_X
05-30-2006, 08:52 AM
To be fair, most of the 'sacrifices' in FFII/III were really only to move the plot along.

And getting new people in your party five minutes later. :cat:

Fantasy Fan
05-30-2006, 08:26 PM
I wouldn't call Aerith's death "well done" IMO the way it was shown was pretty poor. The drama was good, but the FMV wasn't good. I found Siefer slashing Squall in 'Liberi Fatali' more "well done". But that's just my oppinion. Aerith's death still comes in second in my judgment! :D

DarkLadyNyara
05-31-2006, 01:03 AM
I wouldn't call Aerith's death "well done" IMO the way it was shown was pretty poor. The drama was good, but the FMV wasn't good.
I was refering to the concept, not the quality of the FMV.