PDA

View Full Version : How to devour?

rebelx
05-26-2006, 09:07 AM
I played FF8 6years ago and totally loved it. But I never really bothered trying to get everything. I just ran straight through the game. I recently started a new game on my PC and played very slowly, trying to max out everything. I accomplished quite a lot already, but there's one thing I don't understand. How do I devour? Every time I try to devour, it brings me to a screen of different scenery. Is it meant to be like this? Then when it comes back to the battle screen, I see "Miss". I tried this like 30times and it's still the same. :(

Bart's Friend Milhouse
05-26-2006, 09:38 AM
I don't have the PC version. In the PS version however...
I don't exactly remember what devouring was like but your description sounds pretty reasonable. The 'Miss' is basically saying you haven't managed to devour. I think this works the same as Quina's 'Eat' in FF9. You have to pummel your opponent down to a certain fraction of their original HP. Only then will you be allowed to devour.
I don't know correct me if I'm wrong.

Zeromus_X
05-26-2006, 09:39 AM
The scenery and 'censored' is normal, but I don't know about the accuracy/what determines success of Devour, though I'm sure gamefaqs would have something like that. Come to think of it, the Brady guide lists the factors obtained from Devour I believe.

But it's not like maxing out everyone's stats is that important, right? :p

rebelx
05-26-2006, 09:52 AM
Yeah, it's not very important. I completed the game when I was 12years old, and my stats were crap. But I just want to have fun, thats why I want to max my stats. I'm already hunting 4 Dark Matters to get 4 of that Ability x4 stone, just for the fun of it. Lol.

And thanks for the tip on bringing the hp down! I'll try it now.

Just managed to devour a Malboro. Didn't know you have to bring the hp down to so damn low! 5minutes for 1 spr. Think I'd be better off buying and refining. Still, thanks for teaching me!

Rantz
05-26-2006, 11:26 AM
I think that you can only devour certain enemies (Malboro, T-Rexaur, Cactuar etc.), but the rewards are quite good. It's not a command you'd want to have constantly, but use it when you go to the Islands closest to Heaven and Hell and you should be able to raise your stats a bit =)

Edit: I found this list on ffinsider.net of enemies you can devour:

Hp: Rinoa in Adel + 10 HP, Ruby Dragon + 10 HP
Str: T-Rexaur + 1 Str
Vit: Adamantoise + 1 Vit
Mag: Behemoth + 1 Mag
Spr: Malboro + 1 Spr
Spd: Pu Pu + 1 Spd
If you eat a Cactuar your health is fully replenished.

rebelx
05-26-2006, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the guide. I was also reading one on gamesfaq.com. But I think I'd better skip devouring. It takes me like 5minutes to demi+fire breath malboro down to health that I can devour, and malboro's bad breath really stinks. :(

Rantz
05-26-2006, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the guide. I was also reading one on gamesfaq.com. But I think I'd better skip devouring. It takes me like 5minutes to demi+fire breath malboro down to health that I can devour, and malboro's bad breath really stinks. :(
Yeah, Malboros are a pain to fight. However, several of the enemies in the list are weak against status attacks. For example, put 100 Pains on ST-Atk-J, and both T-Rexaur and Behemoth will be your toys. That will leave you free to pummel away at them until their HP is low, and then Devour. It still requires patience if you want to increase your stats much, but at least you wont have as many problems with them as with Malboros =)

Dark Messenger
05-30-2006, 03:23 PM
You can devour Rinoa when she's junctioned to Adel? But that would result in a Game Over...

Rantz
05-30-2006, 04:04 PM
You can devour Rinoa when she's junctioned to Adel? But that would result in a Game Over...
I have no idea, that's just what the list said, and I doubt they'd write it just for fun. My guess is that they simply mean that you can devour Adel.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
05-30-2006, 04:21 PM
Hp: Rinoa in Adel + 10 HP, Ruby Dragon + 10 HP
Str: T-Rexaur + 1 Str
Vit: Adamantoise + 1 Vit
Mag: Behemoth + 1 Mag
Spr: Malboro + 1 Spr
Spd: Pu Pu + 1 Spd

are you claiming devouring these monsters will increase your initial stats? Or is this only for the PC version?

Rantz
05-30-2006, 04:28 PM
are you claiming devouring these monsters will increase your initial stats? Or is this only for the PC version?
I can't confirm those are the actual monsters to devour, as I said in my last post the list is straight from ffinsider.net, but I can confirm that the Devour command in some cases increases your initial stats, and in the case of a Cactuar replenishes your health.

I have tried the command on T-Rexaur, Behemoth and Cactuar, and it worked as the list claims, and rebelx seems to have Devoured a Malboro for +1 Spr. So, I'd call the list confirmed.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
05-30-2006, 05:51 PM
I can't confirm those are the actual monsters to devour, as I said in my last post the list is straight from ffinsider.net, but I can confirm that the Devour command in some cases increases your initial stats, and in the case of a Cactuar replenishes your health.

I have tried the command on T-Rexaur, Behemoth and Cactuar, and it worked as the list claims, and rebelx seems to have Devoured a Malboro for +1 Spr. So, I'd call the list confirmed.

Awesome, thanks