PDA

View Full Version : Childhood Memories.

Chris
05-26-2006, 07:57 PM
I grew up listening to such singers as: Dionne Warwick, Shirley Bassey, Frank Sinatra, Engelbert Humperdick xD, The Supremes, Cyndi Lauper and a couple more. My mom use to play all of these old records, and now, I can't seem to shake off those music habits. I still love to listen to Dionne Warwick, especially the songs: Alfie, I'll Never Love This Way Again, Walk on By and so on. My point being, what kind of music did your parents "force" upon you during your childhood? And do you still listen to certain artists your parents use to listen to?

Venom
05-26-2006, 07:58 PM
My parents didnt force any music on me at all.

Shoden
05-26-2006, 07:59 PM
I was brought up with stuff like: Dio, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Deep Purple.

Chris
05-26-2006, 08:00 PM
Ah, I didn't mean it in a bad way. :p

Venom
05-26-2006, 08:08 PM
Ah, I didn't mean it in a bad way. :p

Yeah I know, my parents arent huge on music.

StarChild
05-26-2006, 08:57 PM
I grew up listening to everything from The Beatles, to Jimmy Buffet. Along with a lot of classical music. My dad was a music major in college, so there was a lot of music at my house, and there still is.

Reles
05-26-2006, 09:03 PM
My dad's musical taste was impeccible. -.- I grew up listening to the most embarrassing kinds of music. I grew up to Neil Diamond, Abba, and the Bee Gees. As you can tell from my dad's current musical taste, it's anything that's playing on the radio and really poppy. Thank god I've acquired my brother's musical taste and I like listening to indie or grunge.

Brian The Pink Shark
05-26-2006, 10:39 PM
I can distinctly remember 3 songs on a playlist my dad had on tape in the car when i was young

Daughter by Pearl Jam
Mrs Robinson by Simon and Garfunkle
and The Sidewinder Sleeps TOnight by R.E.M

which all all still favorites of mine to this day

my parents also used to listen to lots of Wishbone Ash and Pink Floyd when i was young are now 2 of my favorite bands. my parents have had a huge influence over my music tastes and i for one am happy to have such great parents (who will give me free concert tickets :D ) :choc:

Aurey
05-26-2006, 10:58 PM
I listened to a lot of what my brother used to listen to. I wasn't really big on music then, so I hardly remember what is what that he I and used to listen to. Metal and other crap.

I still listen to a bit of what my brother listens to, well a lot I guess, but his tastes are far more obscure and avant-garde than mine.

Dreddz
05-27-2006, 01:16 AM
Kriss Kross - Jump
The first song i knew and loved...

Citizen Soup
05-27-2006, 02:24 AM
A lot of John Denver, Jim Croce, ELO, and Eric Clapton. I give each a listen from time to time.

Meat Puppet
05-27-2006, 02:32 AM
I grew up around a lot of heavy-mulletted '80s rockers so that was the kind of music I always heard. I grew to hate them and their music.

Perducci
05-27-2006, 02:35 AM
My parents mostly listened to bands like, Queen, Bon Jovi, The Beatles, Led Zepplin, and even Bob Marley.

So I got most of my musical tastes from them. :cool:

Jebus
05-27-2006, 02:38 AM
Country music. Lots and lots of country.

*still has issues caused by this*

Perducci
05-27-2006, 02:53 AM
Also, my uncle used to listen to KISS pretty much all the time.

Avarice-ness
05-27-2006, 07:06 AM
Well.. I was jamming to Rush earlier so I'd have to say..
Yeah I still listen to the music I listened to when I was little because of my parents.
Even 80's music because of my sister.
So classic rock from the 60's and 70's and then industrialized music from the 80's and early 90's because of my older sister.
<3.

Cid Vicious
05-27-2006, 03:13 PM
A lot of Motown.

agrudis
05-27-2006, 03:28 PM
I think this post is discriminatory against people like me who had our memory wiped at the age of 11.

Breine
05-27-2006, 04:16 PM
Hmm, no I don't think my parents have forced any music upon me during my childhood. You see, my parents are not music lovers... You know, they like music and buy a CD from time to time, but they are not truly music lovers, like me for example. I spent my childhood listening to the radio instead of the music my parents own and thus developing my own personal taste in music, which I'm glad I did 'cause my parents' taste is definitely not great - I'm sure they'd say the same thing about my taste in music, but hey it all comes down to people's different opinions in the end, right?

Millia Billia
05-28-2006, 05:31 AM
My parents listened to mostly the Beatles and the Rolling Stones when I was young.

Kirobaito
05-28-2006, 06:51 AM
My parents didn't really force much music upon me. My mom was most into stuff by Neil Diamond and Barry Manilow. My dad was into country. I chose country, because I liked it, though I could stand listen to my mother's music. Both of them liked folk music, but they were never really into it that much. After John Denver died in 1997, my mom asked for a Greatest Hits CD by him. By about the fifth grade, I had grown out of country and into typical pre-teen pop, slowly edging into crap like Creed and Nickelback. By the time middle school was over, I was back into country. At the end of tenth grade, I for no particular reason listened to my mom's John Denver's Greatest Hits Volume Two album, and the rest is kinda history.

So while I do listen to music that my parents did, they hardly forced it onto me.

Twilight Edge
05-28-2006, 07:00 AM
Anything possible.

GooeyToast
05-28-2006, 07:15 AM
Country. Thank god I had my brother around to introduce me to rock.

Denmark
05-28-2006, 07:29 PM
My mom used to play mainly two bands a lot of the time when I was a young child growing up: The Beatles and The Moody Blues. I grew to love The Beatles but not really care much for The Moody Blues. And she listened to oldies on the radio a lot in the car, and I like that now too.

My dad played Led Zeppelin and Robert Plant (solo). Love Zeppelin, hate Plant. Led Zep just has better songs, I guess.

Then my brother got me into most of the other stuff I like.

~SapphireStar~
05-30-2006, 03:38 PM
My mum was an 80s true fan girl, Blondie, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Pet Shop Boys, Bowie and Queen. Also my grandparents and uncles influenced me music wise too, Johnny Cash, The Who, The Beatles, Elvis, Genesis, The Jam, Sex Pistols. The old generation had the best music, ours sucks!

Bart's Friend Milhouse
05-30-2006, 03:52 PM
I really have to thank my dad one day for the way he influenced me with the music he chose to play (with his guitar). I'm a culprit of once claiming that the music he was into sucked but now I think differently. I feel more cultured than my high school friends when it comes down to music since I know many of the classic hits that they may not have heard of.