PDA

View Full Version : Sad music.

Perducci
05-28-2006, 02:04 AM
I feel like Moping.
Suggest some really sad music that will make my heart burn and will make me cry. :/

GooeyToast
05-28-2006, 02:17 AM
A Silver Mount Zion or Godspeed You! Black Emperor

Listen to "He Has Left Us Alone But Shards Of Light Sometimes Grace The Corners of Our Rooms" by A Silver Mount Zion in the dark. It's quite an experience to say the least.

Moon Rabbits
05-28-2006, 02:21 AM
"He Has Left Us Alone But Shards Of Light Sometimes Grace The Corners of Our Rooms" .

I'm gonna download that song just because of the name.

Listen to anything by Jimmy Eat World, Death Cab for Cutie, The World at Large by Modest Mouse, or Onitsuka Chihiro's Rasen, or Nakashima Mika's Missing.

GooeyToast
05-28-2006, 02:25 AM

Actually that's not a song, that's the whole album title :D

Be warned though, it's not typical music. It's almost purely instrumental (piano, violin, drums)

Citizen Soup
05-28-2006, 02:43 AM
Godspeed kicks ass.

I suggest Cursive's The Ugly Organ. It's one of the most well written albums I've ever heard. Lyrically and musically genius.

Sunny Day Real Estate's song "Pillars" also comes to my mind when I think of sad. It's just a straight up gloomy song. The live version is amazing too.

nik0tine
05-28-2006, 02:44 AM
What do you mean by 'sad'? Does despairing count?

If so, I'd recommend the opening music to J.S. Bachs Saint John Passion.

Edit: Also, try Johnny Cashs version of "Hurt".

Perducci
05-28-2006, 02:46 AM
Depressing is what I meant to say.

Markus. D
05-28-2006, 03:33 AM
depends what kind of sad.

emo: hawkthorne hieghts

normal: .... I donno...

kikimm
05-28-2006, 03:53 AM
Oh God no not Hawthorne Heights. Anything but them.

I have a couple things I want to suggest, but I don't know if it's the right kind of depressing. If you want to "cry" then I'm guessing you want depressing lyrics. But Pyramid Song from Radiohead has always sounded very depressing to me. Blue Guitar from The Moody Blues.

Citizen Soup
05-28-2006, 03:55 AM
Oh God no not Hawthorne Heights. Anything but them.

I have a couple things I want to suggest, but I don't know if it's the right kind of depressing. If you want to "cry" then I'm guessing you want depressing lyrics. But Pyramid Song from Radiohead has always sounded very depressing to me. Blue Guitar from The Moody Blues.

Oh my, yes! I forgot all about Radiohead. Hail to the Thief is really depressing.

Crushed Hope
05-28-2006, 05:20 AM
Depressing music?

Xasthur, Weakling, Lurker of Chalice, Birkenau, I Shalt Become, Leviathan.

koocnahtanoj
05-28-2006, 05:27 AM
Maybe a little bit of Joy Division will make you sad.If you want sad and angry music listen to NIN,but only their old albums will do(Pretty Hate Machine,The Downward Spiral).Have a good time being sad!:cry:

Moon Rabbits
05-28-2006, 05:31 AM
Be warned though, it's not typical music. It's almost purely instrumental (piano, violin, drums)

I love instrumental music...I'm off to find.

Loony BoB
05-28-2006, 09:28 AM
I'm listening to Sarah McLachlan - When Somebody Loved Me right now. If that doesn't cut it, I don't know what does. But Sarah's good at this stuff. Get When Somebody Loved Me, Dear God, Do What You Have To Do, Gloomy Sunday, Good Enough (get the piano version and the acoustic guitar version), Possession.

Good Enough is particularly depressing, especially those pre-mentioned versions.

Burtsplurt
05-28-2006, 10:45 AM
<i>The Moon</i> by the Microphones or <i>Sleep</i> by Godspeed You! Black Emperor are both good.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
05-28-2006, 10:50 AM
Depressing ----> Grandaddy - He's simple, he's dumb, he's the pilot

Dreddz
05-28-2006, 01:17 PM
An ending - Brian Eno.

Zeldy
05-28-2006, 01:30 PM
The Rasmus - Funeral Song
It kinda bores me

Epiphany
05-28-2006, 03:26 PM
Sunny Day Real Estate - Pillars really doesn't seem so sad to me. Sunny Day is awesome, btw.

If you want to listen to a really, really sad song I suggest My Dying Bride - For My Fallen Angel. A handful of people I know, and myself, all cried the first time we heard it.

Anathema - Barriers also has a saddening effect on me, as do most their songs, but I love Anathema too much to stop listening even if it does make me sad. ;D

jrgen
05-28-2006, 05:40 PM
Depressing music. <3

Janus' (these guys have been my favourite band for a very long time, they're definately worth checking out) newest album Nachtmahr would be a very good pick. Very sad piano driven symphonic music. Though all of their albums are really depressing, particulary songs like Du siehst aus wie immer and Kinderkreuzzug. If you have a more open mind, I'd suggest checking out their album Schlafende Hunde, as it's one of the greatest albums ever created. The thing's I've linked to here are a bit more accessible.

Download:
3:30min trailer of Nachtmahr (http://knochenhaus.de/script/mediadownload.php?i=27&)
Live cover of Rammstein's Seemann (http://www.schlafendehunde.de/audio/Seemann.zip) (not a metal cover)
Short sample of Das Gesicht (http://www.schlafendehunde.de/winterreise/mp3/Das_Gesicht_%5Btrailer%5D.mp3)

You wouldn't go wrong with some Lacrimosa either. I'd recommend the albums Elodia and Stille. Some songs are a bit more upbeat, but try out Ich verlasse heut' dein Herz or Der erste Tag.

Also, metal can sound really depressing too. Bands like Slumber and Forest Stream are great if you do not mind death metal vocals.

This is probably less easy to get one's hands on, but the Korean band Oathean's instrumental folk tracks are very depressing aswell. The track A painful Reminiscence in Notion is possibly one of the most depressing songs I've ever heard, but the track Road to... is probably easier to find and very beautiful aswell.

The band Angizia probably make the most insane music you'll ever come across, but some of it is really melancholic, especially some tracks on their latest album Ein Toter fährt gern Ringelspiel. Sample 1 (http://www.angizia.com/mp3/Angizia%20-%20Ithzak%20Kaufmann%20und%20das%20Bindfadencello.mp3) Sample 2 (http://www.angizia.com/mp3/Angizia%20-%20Siehst%20du%20dein%20Koepfchen%20im%20Spiegel%20Nein.mp3)

I have lots more, but I doubt anyone will actually read this, so I'll settle here.

EDIT: Speaking of My Dying Bride, a Lebanese Melodic Doom/Death band recently released their debut album. Listen to three tracks here: Link (kimaera.org/new_version/index.html) (though the song that starts playing as you enter the site isn't particulary depressing in the beginning, so click another song title)

Mythra
05-29-2006, 12:34 AM
I would say Opeth's Damnation album is pretty depressing, at least to me. It has a beautiful acoustic in the background, with a dark and somber overtone reinforced by the lead singer's voice. This album is really different from the rest of their cd's, with this one the vocalist has a clear voice. A must for depressing times imo.

Blackout
05-29-2006, 02:56 AM
"Concrete Angel"

I'm not sure who its from, but I've heard It's twice before.It's A very sad and depressing song.It's very piopular tho I've never heard it on the radio.

Cid Vicious
05-29-2006, 10:01 AM
Heaven Knows I'm Misserable Now - The Smiths

Or anything by Joy Division, you'll be saddened and amazed at the same time.

Mo-Nercy
05-29-2006, 11:20 AM
It's asian but... Guang Liang - Tong Hua.

Pretty sad.

Loony BoB
05-29-2006, 11:25 AM
"Concrete Angel"

I'm not sure who its from, but I've heard It's twice before.It's A very sad and depressing song.It's very piopular tho I've never heard it on the radio.
'tis by Martina McBride, and I think it's on 10 Things I Hate About You.

Old Manus
05-29-2006, 12:44 PM
Kim - Eminem

That's pretty <s>disturbing</s> depressing listening

Perducci
05-29-2006, 12:54 PM
I'm listening to Sarah McLachlan - When Somebody Loved Me right now.

Wasn't that song on Toy Story 2? :cool:

Epiphany
05-29-2006, 12:56 PM
"Concrete Angel"

'tis by Martina McBride, and I think it's on 10 Things I Hate About You.

Nah, 10 Things was released loong before the song, but it does get a LOT of airplay here.

Loony BoB
05-29-2006, 01:18 PM
I'm listening to Sarah McLachlan - When Somebody Loved Me right now.

Wasn't that song on Toy Story 2? :cool:
Yes indeedydoodah.

Faris
05-29-2006, 02:34 PM
Ebony Ark - Ball and Chain, Within Temptation - Another Day, and Lacuna Coil - Cold. That's all I can think of for now.

fantasyjunkie
05-30-2006, 04:20 AM
"The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" by THE BAND

Rusty
05-30-2006, 07:47 AM
Wendy Matthews - 'The Day You Went Away'.

Miriel
05-30-2006, 07:53 AM
I... uh. I have this thing for funeral music. You know, music they play on TV or in movies during a funeral scene. And I listen to them when I'm in the mood to cry and mope about.

Sarah McLaughlin is like the queen of funeral music. It must give her some morbid sense of pride. In any case. "Dirty Little Secret" by SarahM makes me cry and stuff. And Natalie Merchant's "My Skin" is good for the moping too.

starseeker
05-30-2006, 09:19 PM
Goodbye My Lover by James Blunt

eestlinc
05-30-2006, 09:47 PM
Bob Dylan. Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands is a good choice for that.

~SapphireStar~
06-01-2006, 02:37 AM
Jeff Buckley's cover of Hallelujah. It gets me everytime I listen to it, it just moves me.

Croyles
06-05-2006, 07:54 AM
Portishead

Madame Adequate
06-05-2006, 02:51 PM
Several things by Sarah McLaughlan, Eva Cassidy's version of Time After Time, The Day The Music Died by Don McLean, Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt could count but I find it uplifting as well as sad, and a whole bunch of stuff by Staind.

Resha
06-05-2006, 07:32 PM
"Send In The Clowns" -- Judy Collins.
"Yuki No Hana" -- Mika Nakashima (if you're into Japanese stuff)
"Hallelujah" -- I find the Rufus Wainright (sp?) version sadder than the Jeff Buckley one, but that's just me.

I Took the Red Pill
06-05-2006, 07:59 PM
I usually get depressed when I listen to anything by the shoegaze band My Blood Valentine.