PDA

View Full Version : Is this game worth finishing?

PontiusPilate
05-29-2006, 03:05 AM
Most people either like FF VII or FF VIII. Not many people i've met have liked both. I played FF VII first and thought it was an excellent game (one of the tops of ive played actually). After I finished I decided to get FF VIII because it got about the same reviews as FF VII. When I played it at first I really didn't mind it. Good story so far.

Later on the game just started to piss me off. I think it was the gameplay because as far as i could tell everything else was great. I found that in VIII you had to train alot more to beat bosses. The weapons were also a bitch to make, because you had to find all the ingredients. The attack command, in my case, was replaced by the summons. The magic was also used like items, which was VERY gay.

Honestly, training doesn't bother me. But the gameplay was just so damm annoying i really wasnt motivated to do it. I tried to get as far as I could without training and i managed to get to the part where the school you go to can hover. I then got to the part where you invade the other garden and I just got raped.

Is it worth training for?

Christmas
05-29-2006, 03:23 AM
You have to junction your character properly with magic/abilities etc instead of just training to level up.

Zeromus_X
05-29-2006, 03:24 AM
You don't need to train at all. You need to draw magics. Although it seems tedious, you should draw 300 of every magic available for your party, and Junction to their stats. All leveling is good for is getting rarer items from monsters.

Well, you may not want to draw that many magics, so...:P Still, it may be because you don't have enough magic to your stats. (Or something like that.) And yes, GFs are brokenly powerful for the first half of the game, until they become useless and Limit Breaks and abilities are all you'll ever use. Still, you should keep the attack command so you can use limit breaks. (Which, like most of the entire battle system, is very abusable.) Just keep everyone at critical health and blast away. The game only seems difficult because you don't know how to use the Junction System/Limits correctly. (I'm guessing.)

I'd play the game anyway, it has great music and an awesomely surreal ending, but I like that kind of stuff.

Edit: Christmas summarized all of what I said in one sentence. Great.

disapointedchild
05-29-2006, 07:20 AM
Yes, you must not be juctioning right. The game is on a level where you can beat it on level 7. I think that is where squall starts. Draws some more magic, have you GF learn abilities such as hp-j, str-j, stuff like that, then just mess around with the diff magic to find a winning combination.

Oh and yes the game is worth finishing, to answer your initial question.

.:Lion Heart:.
05-29-2006, 10:39 AM
I love both VII and VIII... My Squall is at level 100 and my Rinoa is at level 40.. but I junctioned her really well and they're like equally strong. If I unjuction my Squall, even though he's at level 100, Rinoa (or even selphie at level 20) can beat him up..

Skyie
05-29-2006, 10:40 AM
Basically, don't level up and Draw lots of magic. Doing that, you can easily beat the game with just Squall. The game is kinda broken like that.

Mirage
05-29-2006, 10:40 AM
You don't really need to draw too much magic
You'll need a few to begin with, but later you can just refine magic from items. Much more fun. I think I just drew about 400 spells total in my last game, then I started refining tornadoes from windmills, and the windmills i got from abyss worm cards, Curaga from tents, Fira from bomb fragments, Firaga from bomb cores, etc.
And even if you do draw a lot, what's worse, spending 5 hours leveling up, or spending 5 hours drawing? I'd say they're about equally boring. Just ask if you want a comprehensive list of good items to refine.

Skyie
05-29-2006, 10:44 AM
Oh yeah, Refining is a more viable option. Keep forgetting to do that.

boys from the dwarf
05-29-2006, 02:44 PM
the best parts of the game are the bits inbetween on disk 2 and 3. its worth finishing though. the ending isnt as good as some others on FF but its worth finishing. i think you should. if junctioning is becoming hard and you havent collect good spells throughout the game it might be a good idea to start over and refining items is the best way to get powerful. you should definetly finish the game.

Twilight Edge
05-29-2006, 02:53 PM
Just get Squall's Lionheart.Then just hack every enemy available with limit breaks(2nd playthrough,no summon,only junction and limit breaks) while keeping your HP around 1/3 of your max HP or using aura(which in my case,it ain't in my dictionary).

PontiusPilate
05-29-2006, 06:00 PM
the best parts of the game are the bits inbetween on disk 2 and 3. its worth finishing though. the ending isnt as good as some others on FF but its worth finishing. i think you should. if junctioning is becoming hard and you havent collect good spells throughout the game it might be a good idea to start over and refining items is the best way to get powerful. you should definetly finish the game.

I'm a way too lazy to replay it all again considering how far i got. Like i rarely junctioned or drawed magic from people. Is there anyway i can recover from this?

Kamrusepas
06-14-2006, 03:56 AM
Most people either like FF VII or FF VIII. Not many people i've met have liked both.

I like FFVII, but I love FFVIII.

Moon Rabbits
06-14-2006, 04:35 AM
Junctioning never gave me a problem. The draw system is tedious at times, however.

The game is definitely worth finishing, but the best part is by far when Squall piggy backs Rinoa. So cute.

Lychon
06-14-2006, 04:37 AM
Most people either like FF VII or FF VIII. Not many people i've met have liked both.

I like FFVII, but I love FFVIII.

QFTMFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT.

-LYCHON

Xurts
06-14-2006, 05:04 AM
Drawing is only a major chore (drawing 300 Doubles from Elvoret...ugh..) for the first couple hours of the game. Once you get all three party members with the Magic Junction, then you can easily Draw 9 spells at a time. If you have a decent speed stat, it should only take you 4-6 minutes to draw 300 spells. Probably less.

Mirage
06-14-2006, 01:56 PM
You don't *have* to draw the maximum amount of every spell. I think drawing is just about as boring as repetative level-grinding in other games.
besides, you can extract a ton of magic from items, that's what I do after drawing a few spells at the very beginning in order to get started.

Xurts
06-14-2006, 09:07 PM
You don't *have* to draw the maximum amount of every spell. I think drawing is just about as boring as repetative level-grinding in other games.
besides, you can extract a ton of magic from items, that's what I do after drawing a few spells at the very beginning in order to get started.
No, you don't have to. But drawing makes the game a hell of a lot easier than if you don't. I don't refine items into magic much. If I want 300 of a certain spell, it is much easier to just take a couple minutes and Draw it instead of refining oodles and oodles of items.

You can't Draw 100 of every spell either, because you can only stock 32 different spells at a time. And there are ALOT more than 32 different spells in the game. Super-duper-mega-bummer.

Hambone
06-14-2006, 09:42 PM
Most people either like FF VII or FF VIII. Not many people i've met have liked both. I played FF VII first and thought it was an excellent game (one of the tops of ive played actually). After I finished I decided to get FF VIII because it got about the same reviews as FF VII. When I played it at first I really didn't mind it. Good story so far.

Later on the game just started to piss me off. I think it was the gameplay because as far as i could tell everything else was great. I found that in VIII you had to train alot more to beat bosses. The weapons were also a bitch to make, because you had to find all the ingredients. The attack command, in my case, was replaced by the summons. The magic was also used like items, which was VERY gay.

Honestly, training doesn't bother me. But the gameplay was just so damm annoying i really wasnt motivated to do it. I tried to get as far as I could without training and i managed to get to the part where the school you go to can hover. I then got to the part where you invade the other garden and I just got raped.

well, you gotten to the end of disc 2, so, if you've made it this far you might as well continue.:)

Mirage
06-14-2006, 10:51 PM
3 and 4 are pretty short, so yeah.

Yuffie514
06-15-2006, 05:50 AM
actually you do not need to train to say level 68, if you junction magic to your stats. it's really time-absorbing, but it will definitely be worth it. you can also refine to convert a group of lower-class spells into a more powerful spell or from an item (Blizzard, Fire, Thunder, etc). and YES, it is worth it to complete the game. spoiler

bongun4
06-16-2006, 04:14 AM

I really really like this FF series. FFVIII for me is better than any other FF I played by far. (I played all of them, even tactics and FFXI)

Gameplay is totally original, weapon making, magic gathering. but yea, kinda hard if you dont listen to those tutorials given in game. I finished the game without summons and casting very little amount of magic. magic is, yes, mostly used for junctions.

Story wise, its very good, and I lyk the ending. So I would say, finish it, the game is worth the effort if u lyk the story. actually, any FF game is worth finishing. Their stories are very interesting.