PDA

View Full Version : Realistically, Whats the Most Efficient Transportation in the FF Series?

goldraine
05-29-2006, 05:31 PM
This question's actually been bugging me for a while.

What is, realistically, truely the most efficient form of transportation, economically and in terms of speed/world coverage?

First, your feet. Thats the first for of traveling around in most titles, and also generally the slowest. Obviously you would get tired of running around without rest and food.

Second, Chocobos. Fast, but they have a mind of their own. Unless you have a well trained one, I expect it act no different than a wild horse. They are animals, y'know. They would need food and proper nurtureing. They are also rather versatile. They can breed to create other types of Chocobos capable of traveling along more difficult terrain easier.

Thirdly, Vehicles. Gas money is as expensive their as it is here. It is quite speedy, but like all cars they do require gasoline.

Fourth, Ships. Never very fast, but the ultimate sea vessel.

Fifth, Airships. Insanely fast, and running on nothing but... nothing it seems. Requires a large crew generally, and can cover huge areas of land. Obviously, it would be rather costly to build, purchase, and pay the crew. No common adventurer could cover these costs.

Now that you've heard my arguments, what do you guys think?

LunarWeaver
05-29-2006, 07:07 PM
Train

Fantasy Fan
05-29-2006, 07:09 PM
Steam powered airships.

Nick Schovitz
05-29-2006, 07:17 PM
Cars, check out squall in his bad ass car http://anime3reza.homestead.com/files/ff8/squall-car2.jpg Yeah he'll be picking up all the ladies.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-29-2006, 07:31 PM
Eventually, and generally not terribly far into the game, you acquire the ability to teleport via magic. This is generally not too costly and it allows the travel of great distances for a mere pittance of cheaply replenishable resources.

While this doesn't allow for one to visit new places, realistically it'd be the best method to travel.

boys from the dwarf
05-29-2006, 07:53 PM
if magic was real, warp and teleport would be the best way. the best vechile is in FF5. an airship, a submarine and a boat all in one? wins hands down.

rubah
05-29-2006, 08:02 PM
the ragnarok can go into outer space, carry a bunch of people, blow up stuff, and do loopdeloops.

Plus they never have to buy fuel, which is a big nix on teh ff8 cars.

(did I mention that esthar gave ragna away, making it free?)

Dell
05-30-2006, 05:54 AM
The Duct in Tales of Legendia...really save me from 1000 miles walking.

Zeromus_X
05-30-2006, 06:05 AM
Eventually, and generally not terribly far into the game, you acquire the ability to teleport via magic. This is generally not too costly and it allows the travel of great distances for a mere pittance of cheaply replenishable resources.

While this doesn't allow for one to visit new places, realistically it'd be the best method to travel.

That's really more of a DQ thing. Most teleportation magic in FFs seem to be for exiting dungeons, and then only in older titles. (Unfortunately...)

As for me, I guess Airship. Who doesn't want to fly in an Airship, I mean, really. For a classic airship, a zeppelin ship like FFVI, a spaceship like Ragnarok, any kind of Airship.

And you'll know how to use it right when you obtain it, a plus.

Yuffie514
05-30-2006, 06:46 AM
Fifth, Airships. Insanely fast, and running on nothing but... nothing it seems. Requires a large crew generally, and can cover huge areas of land. Obviously, it would be rather costly to build, purchase, and pay the crew. No common adventurer could cover these costs.

well, at least that's a good reason for having too much Gil, mainly in Final Fantasy VIII.

best transportation = airship.

Dignified Pauper
05-30-2006, 07:38 AM
I like ships. lots and lots of ships.

navy wars inspire me

Miriel
05-30-2006, 07:43 AM

Yup.

Hit a command, some flashy lights, and bam, you're at your destination. Probably the quickest and most efficient way to travel. Since it requires little more than selecting where you want to go and then going then almost in an instant.

For traveling to places you've never been before, airship is probably the best way to go.

blackmage_nuke
05-30-2006, 09:44 AM
The FFVI ghost train was the only transportation that takes people to the afterlife...unless you count walking to death or crashing your vehicle,boat or airship.

But seriously I love the FF trains, very little polution, unless the FFVII train was powered by mako...

Qurange
05-30-2006, 10:04 AM
The trains were pretty handy in FF8, though.

~SapphireStar~
05-30-2006, 01:29 PM
The trains in FF8 or the airships. I look forward to seeing what the next airships going to look like!

Chris
05-30-2006, 02:15 PM
I'd travel with a Chocobo. Not only does it provide great company, but it is also fast and very loyal. :D

Twilight Edge
05-30-2006, 03:54 PM
the ragnarok can go into outer space, carry a bunch of people, blow up stuff, and do loopdeloops.

Plus they never have to buy fuel, which is a big nix on teh ff8 cars.

(did I mention that esthar gave ragna away, making it free?)

goldraine
05-30-2006, 06:39 PM
Some of you guys are failing to see the point.

The actual protaganists don't count, as they all had wealthy friends or payment for their deeds. Common adventurers can't cover the cost of an airship. We would be considered common, no matter what you guys think.

Skyblade
05-30-2006, 08:04 PM
Some of you guys are failing to see the point.

The actual protaganists don't count, as they all had wealthy friends or payment for their deeds. Common adventurers can't cover the cost of an airship. We would be considered common, no matter what you guys think.

I beg to differ. In FFVII they stole 3 of their 4 vehicles. The Tiny Bronco? Stolen from Palmer, who was stealing it from Cid. Cid didn't even know they'd taken it until after it was in flight. He tagged along, but he didn't really let them have it, since he had no choice in the matter. The Submarine? Stolen from Cloud's parade buddies. The Highwind? Stolen from the Junon airstrip (true, the crew of that one was loyal to Cid, but they possibly could have done it without them). Just take what you want, don't bother paying for any of it.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-30-2006, 09:10 PM
Where was there a motorcycle in IV?

And as far as Airships are concerned, in many cases Final Fantasy talks about Airships in terms of "one and only", meaning that they're probably uncommon, to say the least. Chocobos seem to be the standard and most accessible modes of transportation for most common folk, as well as cars in certain Final Fantasy settings.

Little Blue
05-30-2006, 09:17 PM
I must be odd... I like walking places... preferably with No Encounters on mind you... if its available...

The Knights of the Round
05-31-2006, 02:52 AM
airships rock, especially the one in FF VII it really rocks.

~SapphireStar~
05-31-2006, 02:51 PM
Just take what you want, don't bother paying for any of it.
Yeah, since when did any of the characters pay for the transport? Although I think you piad to ride the ariship in 2.

Fantasy Fan
05-31-2006, 03:02 PM
V had the best airship.

Dignified Pauper
05-31-2006, 04:49 PM
i don't anything will beat Breath of Fire II's floating city ship

Christmas
05-31-2006, 06:06 PM
The bike in FF VII will be fine but I was thinking of FF VIII Ragnarok.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-31-2006, 06:52 PM
I would like to point out that outside of FFIX and, apparently, FFXII, airships are NOT really that prevalent, and most people wouldn't have access to them, thus making them less than viable.

Chaotic Chocobo
06-01-2006, 06:51 PM
I would say Golden flying chocobo but....if that sucker got tired in midair it would not be pretty lol. I say steam airship.

rubah
06-01-2006, 07:55 PM
I would like to point out that outside of FFIX and, apparently, FFXII, airships are NOT really that prevalent, and most people wouldn't have access to them, thus making them less than viable.
Tell that to all the people that snuck on the ragnarok while we were trying to kill sorceresses during time compression! the dirty thieves:(

Fantasy Fan
06-07-2006, 09:37 PM
YAY steam airships! :D

The Knights of the Round
08-15-2006, 11:12 PM
the FF VII Airship after you get the turbo engines at the end (even though in the game it doesnt get faster) but in real life would be faster yeah i liked that one...