Spawn of Sephiroth
05-29-2006, 07:08 PM
can anyone tell me why Squaresoft changed their name to Square Enix?:choc2:

Nick Schovitz
05-29-2006, 07:10 PM
because Squaresoft and Enix became one.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-29-2006, 07:14 PM
This goes in General Square-Enix, and it's because both companies merged.

Spawn of Sephiroth
05-29-2006, 07:23 PM
what was the Enix company. i never heard of them until i saw the Square Enix logo. what kind of games did Enix make?

Nick Schovitz
05-29-2006, 07:28 PM
Grandia

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-29-2006, 07:54 PM
Enix is responsible for several extremely popular series, most notably the Dragon Quest series, which has immense popularity in Japan, to the point in which they aren't allowed to release it on school days because students will just stay home and play the game instead of going to school.

They've also made other popular series like the Seiken Densetsu series (Secret of Mana), and the afforementioned Grandia. I think they did SaGa too.

Mirage
05-29-2006, 08:15 PM
I'm pretty sure they didn't make the secred of mana series, my ROMs have the Squaresoft logo at the title screen.
However, Enix was the distributor of tri-ace games, which includes the Star Ocean series and Valkyrie Profile games, among a few other games.

Silvercry
05-29-2006, 11:13 PM
Not to mention ActRaiser, Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, and Terranigma.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-30-2006, 01:20 AM
They've also made other popular series like the Seiken Densetsu series (Secret of Mana), and the afforementioned Grandia. I think they did SaGa too.Square is responsible for both SaGa and Seiken Densetsu. And Game Arts are the creators of Grandia.

Enix is mostly known for Dragon Quest. Their other notable games are generally developed by separate companies whose work they merely publish. Quintet was responsible for the Soul Blazer trilogy, tri-Ace does Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile, etc.

Markus. D
05-30-2006, 01:55 AM
without Square Enix there would be no Drakengard 2 ;_;

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-30-2006, 02:27 AM
They've also made other popular series like the Seiken Densetsu series (Secret of Mana), and the afforementioned Grandia. I think they did SaGa too.Square is responsible for both SaGa and Seiken Densetsu. And Game Arts are the creators of Grandia.

Enix is mostly known for Dragon Quest. Their other notable games are generally developed by separate companies whose work they merely publish. Quintet was responsible for the Soul Blazer trilogy, tri-Ace does Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile, etc.

Ah, my mistake. And yes, I remember the Soul Blazer games as well.

DJZen
05-30-2006, 02:50 AM
Enix is responsible for several extremely popular series, most notably the Dragon Quest series, which has immense popularity in Japan, to the point in which they aren't allowed to release it on school days because students will just stay home and play the game instead of going to school.

Just for the sake of (completely anal retentive) accuracy, it's not that they'll stay home to play the games (their parents would probably make them commit seppuku for that), it's that they'll cut school AND work to camp outside stores for the release. When Dragon Quest III came out people were literally mugged for their copies of the game. Remember the Xbox 360 craze? Imagine that only on the scale of a soccer riot, now make it run all across the country. That's what it was like. National productivity actually dips the day of a Dragon Quest release. go here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Quest) and look under the section titled "overview" for more information on this.

As far as the games Enix has released, look HERE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Square_Enix_games#Enix_Co..2C_Ltd.).

Zeromus_X
05-30-2006, 03:37 AM
And each half works on their own projects.

Just saying. :cat:

~SapphireStar~
06-03-2006, 12:28 AM
And Game Arts are the creators of Grandia.
I knew I was right. Someone a couple of months ago asked if Square had anything to do with Grandia and I said no, it was Game Arts and I was totally ripped into and called! I knew I was right! Take that whoever it was!

Captain Maxx Power
06-03-2006, 01:04 AM
One reason: To be able to say "Squenix". Go on say it, it sounds like square eggs.

darkchrono
07-02-2006, 04:32 PM
Why did they change the name from DragonQuest to Dragon Warrior for the games that were released in the U.S. and other places.

Zeromus_X
07-02-2006, 04:46 PM
Because back then there was another (relatively lesser known) RPG also named Dragon Quest, and thus, they don't want to do copyright infringement. Now they can use the name 'Dragon Quest' since that series isn't around anymore. You can find more info on that in Wikipedia.

Diddy21
07-02-2006, 07:23 PM
Squaresoft and Enix joined together. And I think Square-Enix sounds like an awesome name!

NeoCracker
07-03-2006, 11:06 PM
I just call it square either way.

DJZen
07-04-2006, 11:50 PM
Unfortunately, "squeenix" is the wrong pronunciation. :(

Carmilla
07-30-2006, 03:31 AM
I just realized that Enix doesnt make too many games in house besides Dragon Quest.

Grandia, Radiata Stories, Star Ocean, Drakengard, Valkyrie Profile, Soul Blazer series, etc, were all made by outside companies. Enix just produced them. :eek: :eek:

jj984jj
07-31-2006, 12:07 AM
Enix never made games in house, even DQ is always outsourced. The only person from Enix that works on them everytime is Yuji Horii. Akira Toriyama and Koichi Sugiyama always work on DQ as well but they are not part of Enix. Chunsoft, Heartbeat, and Level 5 made the DQ games. TOSE made the spin-offs and did the GBC ports. I can't remember who did the other ports, but either way Enix didn't do anything internally. Enix always was a publisher, not a developer.

Meis
07-31-2006, 11:23 AM
Squaresoft and Enix joined together. And I think Square-Enix sounds like an awesome name!
yea sound pretty solid to me.

Morridor
07-31-2006, 08:45 PM
Enix never made games in house, even DQ is always outsourced. The only person from Enix that works on them everytime is Yuji Horii. Akira Toriyama and Koichi Sugiyama always work on DQ as well but they are not part of Enix. Chunsoft, Heartbeat, and Level 5 made the DQ games. TOSE made the spin-offs and did the GBC ports. I can't remember who did the other ports, but either way Enix didn't do anything internally. Enix always was a publisher, not a developer.

There were some Enix employees that stayed on every Dragon Quest other than the ones you mentioned. They had a few supervisors that helped Yuji Horii make sure the game turned out the way it was supposed to. Yuji Horii also did A LOT of work making sure the storylines were right and making the game flow script wise. Yuji Horii was a GIGANTIC part of the Dragon Quest series.

Danny

tidus_rox
08-17-2006, 01:48 AM
Ok but on some of the FFX cases is says Square enis and on other ones it says sqaure soft!! SO WHO MADE THAT GAME?!?!?!

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-17-2006, 02:06 AM
Square made it. FFX was developed well before the merger occurred in 2003, and even if it had been made afterwards, the Square side of the company still handles all the games in the Final Fantasy series, just as the Enix side still handles Dragon Quest.