PDA

View Full Version : PSM2 rates FFXII 90%

Setzer Gabianni
05-30-2006, 04:58 PM
I ain't posting the whole review, it's frickin massive, but, I shall post the best of what I read:

"Hearing the opening bars of that theme tune is a special moment for a Final Fantasy fan. Composer Nobuo Uematsu's tinkling melody is a timeless series tradition and whenever it plays we get all sentimental about the great geeky times we've had, playing arguably the greatest RPG franchise ever. The version that opens Final Fantasy XII, however, is unlike anything you'll have heard in previous games - it's now an overblown orchestral epic of Hollywood proportions, which reflects the game as a whole; compared to this, Final Fantasy X looks like a student film"

- Opening Paragraph.

Ok, so we miss the old-fashioned turn based stuff, but that's living in the past. This is the series' biggest leap yet and it's all the better for it.

- concerning the battle system, ending sentence on the first page.

[CAPTION IMAGE] People Person - Vaan is a much more likeable hero then Tidus from FFX.

[CAPTION IMAGE] Law and Order - The design of the judge's armour is incredibly intimidating. Would you mess with him? ( The Marquis, ruler of Bhujerba, is also in this shot)

The design is second to none and the architecture makes you feel a part of a world rich with history, as opposed to one cobbled together by a bunch of cheap suited men in a Tokyo skyscraper somewhere.

- Designs

The characters are similarly well designed, although the radical departure from previous FF games may put some hardcore pendants off.

- Characters

Again, following Final Fantasy tradition, the story is brilliantly engaging. (The rest of the detail about the storyline should be common knowledge amongst us FFXII fans.)

..there are twists, turns and backstories for all of the characters. Vaan is likeable and the situation between to the countries is very well realized. It's quite a yarn. (part of a sentence to do with the storyline)

So is it better then Final Fantasy X then? Well, yes. By quite a large margin in fact. We would go so far as to say that it's the best FF game since IX was released 6 years ago. ( Deary me, are they still secret FFVII and FFVIII fanboys there? =P )

FFXII is a gargantuan, gorgeous game with a gripping plot, likeable characters and an interesting new combat system that injects some much-needed life into the series. Wonderful.

- Ending words

PSM2 Verdict

Gameplay

+ The brave new combat system is a triumph
- Some dungeons kind of drag on a bit

Graphics

+ We defy you to find a better looking game
- Some bland textures here and there

Sound

+ Infectious music and classic FF sound effects
- some of the voices are a little irritating

Lifespan

As you'd expect, it's huge. The main story alone lasts about 70 hrs, then there are the numerous sidequests..

This should score more, but we're waiting for the UK version before we go mental. Great already, but in English, this'll be the best Final Fantasy in years.

Better then: FFX

Worser then: KHII ( folks, KH2 has the same rating so far, 90% - so, avid FF fans, the English version may get a higher score)

Comments made in brackets done by me.

Mirage
05-30-2006, 07:23 PM
Looking good, but i've found top-rated games boring in the past. Like KH :(.

Dreddz
05-30-2006, 08:37 PM
Rating KH2 over FFXII, what have PSM2 done with themselves....

Setzer Gabianni
05-31-2006, 03:26 PM
It's really weird because, the games are both exactly the same % as well - 90%. I assure you, this is a game you will not be bored with.

~Setzer Gabianni

Silent Warrior
05-31-2006, 04:40 PM
This is good news. Maybe my PS2-library will surpass 12 titles one day...

On a more serious note, though... If I see a 'then' when it should be 'than' one more time, I'll have an aneurysm and die on the spot, just to spite the offender. So I'll just stay away from this topic until it reaches two pages.

LunarWeaver
05-31-2006, 07:22 PM
How come every review of every FF title says it's an injection of life the series needed. :laugh:

Anywho, I'm sure it will be groovy. Plus Fran has bunny ears, what more could anybody ask for?

I don't trust reviews completely anymore though... Being pretty gets you a lot of score-goodness. I keep reading you need to prepare yourself to die alot in these reviews, because it's insanely hard and you go hours without save points... I hope it's hard, but not Vagrant Story hard, which also received insanely good marks. But then again, I'm a wuss :jess:

Setzer Gabianni
05-31-2006, 10:40 PM
It's a challenge, which is what I need after the gameplay I encountered in certain FF's :)

~Setzer Gabianni

jj984jj
05-31-2006, 11:35 PM
Uematsu wasn't even involved with FFXII outside of Angela Aki's songs. Though Hitoshi Sakimoto did do an awesome job from what I've heard. The opening theme is definitely awesome, especially if you liked the prelude/prologue to FFIV.

Zeromus_X
05-31-2006, 11:36 PM
I'd rather get the game and try it myself instead of listening to somebody else's opinion, so meh. :cat:

-N-
05-31-2006, 11:58 PM
Can you at least link to the full article so people can read it? >_<

LunarWeaver
06-01-2006, 12:12 AM
These are some import reviews of it. I'm sorry, I couldn't find the one he has listed.

Spoilers: Reading the story paragraphs of these are probably spoilers... I dunno, I just stuck to the combat and overall good or bad, so I don't know what it says about the story to be honest.

Eurogamers review: http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=682214

Games are fun review: http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=675484

Deeko review: http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=674647

Gamebrink review:http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=677763

FallenAngel411
06-01-2006, 12:15 AM
I don't need reviews to tell me this game will be the best thing I play this year. But its good to know others agree. :)

goldraine
06-01-2006, 07:05 AM
If PSM2 is a magazine(I only subscribe to EGM, GamePro, and Shonen Jump), I request a scan.

Setzer Gabianni
06-01-2006, 10:28 AM
Man, someone said this wasn't the best FF? =P Oh well, opinions are opinions.

I'll edit once I have a scan.

http://img238.imageshack.us/my.php?image=psm214md.jpg

Only got one now, the others im having trouble uploading.

Dell
06-01-2006, 11:10 AM
I know FFXII is the best! I've played it and it's good! The only worst thing is I need to train a lot to beat The Fire Espers: Velias

Setzer Gabianni
06-01-2006, 05:45 PM
Ill have the rest of the images up some time tomorrow guys - the scans, because of the magazine is done, will be missing words.

~Setzer Gabianni

Dreddz
06-01-2006, 11:17 PM
I might have to pick up this issue, was this review in this months PSM2 ?

goldraine
06-02-2006, 04:33 AM
Man, someone said this wasn't the best FF? =P Oh well, opinions are opinions.

I'll edit once I have a scan.

http://img238.imageshack.us/my.php?image=psm214md.jpg

Only got one now, the others im having trouble uploading.

Thanks, I'll be on the lookout for more.

Rogue
06-02-2006, 05:42 AM
cool man i hope it is as good as it says

Setzer Gabianni
06-02-2006, 07:39 AM
^ Oh it will be ;P

Dreddz, it won't be now - the new mag should be out by now, so you won't get the other issue which is out what I had - the June one.

~Setzer Gabianni

Sefie1999AD
06-03-2006, 07:25 PM
Rating KH2 over FFXII, what have PSM2 done with themselves....

It doesn't really surprise me, though. I've heard mostly good things about KH2. As for FFXII, it seems it got spectacular early reviews (40/40 from Famitsu), but after people played the game more, it seems it wasn't as good as everyone said it would be, and both the storyline and character development were thrown away after playing the game for some time, and a lot of things totally lack emotions: characters, music etc. To be frank, I'm looking forward to playing KH2 more than playing FFXII.

Setzer Gabianni
06-04-2006, 08:38 AM
wow, you sure do take reviews to heart - how about you play it before finally judging it ok? Sheesh. If magazines are reviewing this most highly, put some thought into PLAYING it.

:D

~Setzer Gabianni

Millia Billia
06-07-2006, 08:38 AM
I think listening to reviews, especially magazine reviews, is unwise and should never affect your decision to play or your overall outlook on a game.

Setzer Gabianni
06-07-2006, 03:42 PM
They give you an insight into them though, so you at least know what's going to be in a game, how it works and stuff. You can't just completely ignore them.

~Setzer Gabianni

a nirvana fan
06-08-2006, 12:06 AM
Ive got this issue of PSM2, its a great magazine with a sense of humour.

And if thats the Japanese import score, imagine the score the english version will get!

SephiRave
06-13-2006, 04:02 PM
ok,a testimonial of FFXII from me...(I have played the Japanese version)

Yeah,the game rocks.It has several innovative aspects.The graphics have improved a bit since FFX-2,the characters get more detail on their face,hair and attire and it doesnt feel laggy even though on a PS2.The license plate system works well.
The story is of different flavour from the previous FF.It is more serious especially when describing the political crisis instead of emphasizing on the character's develepment.
The music is pretty good,with better sound quality than Uematsu's

However,there are also several downsides:
1)Active Dimension Battle
Don't be fooled by this.It wont get any more active than that.The battle system sounds good.But when played,it gets very awkward.It is actually no different than ATB,just it is done in a different way.You still need to wait for turns to attack.If you manage to attack with 3 characters at once,u get a combo.Active mode just way too strange,you stand there and get hit by monsters while u wait ur commands to execute.I would suggest that Kingdom Hearts battle system is the real "active" battle system.

2)Music
Good quality,but less memorable....

3)Lack of character development
The story focuses more on the political crisis,and it lacks some needed character development.You will have the feeling that " Is Vaan the main character?"

I dont know about others,but in my opinion,i find that it might get interesting at start, but it will eventually grow to boredom. The story is good for a novel and a movie,but if in game,sometimes i find it too much.( I understand Japanese and i know what the game is talking about)

However i think FFXII deserves a 90% considering it has its highly innovative aspects .

Diogo
06-17-2006, 05:01 PM
However,there are also several downsides:
1)Active Dimension Battle
Don't be fooled by this.It wont get any more active than that.
There is nothing to be fooled about. "Active Dimension" is a perfect explanation for FFXII's battle system, because that's what it really is. Active, because everything is happening at the same time, although if you want time to think, you can change the mode to Wait, and dimension because unlike in previous FFs, dimension plays a factor in FFXII.

The battle system sounds good.But when played,it gets very awkward.
There is nothing awkward about it, at least, once you get used to it.

It is actually no different than ATB,just it is done in a different way.
Yes, it's different, it's more strange, more original, more refreshing. But isn't that a good thing?

Active mode just way too strange,you stand there and get hit by monsters while u wait ur commands to execute.
Just like every single other FF...

I would suggest that Kingdom Hearts battle system is the real "active" battle system.
FFXII's ADB in Active Mode is as active as KH's battle system. KH is only more "active" when you are playing FFXII on Wait Mode.

2)Music
Good quality,but less memorable....
More fitting, better quality, but less memorable. Don't see how that is a downside.

3)Lack of character development
The story focuses more on the political crisis,and it lacks some needed character development.
Wrong. The story has all the needed character development, and lacks all the uneeded character development. That's why it has less than in previous FFs, but the needed development is still there.

You will have the feeling that " Is Vaan the main character?"
Vaan is not the main character of FFXII. Officially confirmed by Square. And that's what I felt when I played the game: He was just a side character in which the player saw the story through his eyes. It was done on purpose, and it has nothing to do with character development.

The story is good for a novel and a movie,but if in game,sometimes i find it too much.
What do you exactly mean?

Moon Rabbits
06-18-2006, 03:14 PM
Did that say 70 hours of gameplay in the main storyline alone!?!?

FINALLY. I've been waiting for an RPG that long.

Orophin
06-18-2006, 06:55 PM
Did that say 70 hours of gameplay in the main storyline alone!?!?

FINALLY. I've been waiting for an RPG that long.

Well, Dragon Quest VIII offered about the same thing.

~SapphireStar~
06-18-2006, 07:25 PM
Not a bad review, hope its worht the long wait though!

Old Manus
06-18-2006, 09:33 PM
Isn't that just some import that they are reviewing

Laguna
06-19-2006, 12:23 AM
As per usual, I'll ignore what's written in the magazines and go with the ideas from people I know. Independant opinion rarely steers me in the wrong direction.