PDA

View Full Version : ff7 crashes at the first scene

htotheh
05-31-2006, 09:12 AM
i installed FF7 on my windows 2000
i also installed the duck something program

when i run the game, the movie shows up, but when i get into the first fight (using cloud) against the 2 blue guards, game crashes...

i googled for info and many said to use application compatibility tools, but its only for XP

what should i do?

Meat Puppet
05-31-2006, 03:43 PM
Actually, to get FFVII running on 2000 you need the Application Compatibility Toolkit with QFixApp.

Before this, you will need to install the chocobo patch. I assume that is what you mean when you say the "duck something program".. but just to be sure, I'll give you a link:

http://www.k-ff.com/Final7/Download/ff7_chocobo_patch.zip (23KB)

Run QFixApp, browse for and select ff7.exe. You will need to select the Win2000 layer. Then select the follow fixes:
EmulateWriteFile, Shrinker, Virtual Registry, Win2000VersionLie (should already be selected).

You should be able to download Application Compatibility Toolkit 1.5 here:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/18749
EDIT: I just tried this link and it's dead. I'll try and find you another.

Obviously if you already have it you don't need to download it.

EDIT: Aha, I've found a link that will probably be more help to you than I am:

http://www.joikkeli.org/janne/ff7.html

If you have no problem with following instructions, this guide should get FF7 running on 2000 fine.

htotheh
05-31-2006, 08:56 PM
i read the link you sent me, i downloaded Application Compatibility Update and Appliation Compatibility Tools and installed them, and then rebooted... i also downloaded the Unofficial Chocobo Patch, but when i choose ff7.exe and clicked on apply patch, and error message popped up saying patch cannot be applied...

edit: the game itself works PERFECTLY when im running it from QFixApp, but i just can't install the chocobo patch

Meat Puppet
06-01-2006, 01:29 AM
Hmm. The Unofficial chocobo patch is the same one I linked to earlier in my post. You may have already installed it. If you haven't, you might run into some errors during the chocobo races or snowboarding parts of the game. The only reasons I can think of why the patch won't install are either you've installed the patch or it could have something to do with the Service Pack you're running. Try not to worry about it—you're a while away from that part of the game, and the game is running perfectly anyway. I know of people who have finished FFVII on Windows 2000 without the unofficial chocobo patch, anyway. ;-)

htotheh
06-01-2006, 01:59 AM
thanks for all your help
i sincerely appreciate it

one more thing
the game just crashes at random parts... this happened twice in about 2 hours, there were no repeated crash on 1 same scene or anything... why is this?

Meat Puppet
06-01-2006, 02:09 AM
I think that's just going to be a nuisance. I have a similar problem, my game crashes randomly. Sometimes I can go an hour, sometimes 10 minutes before it crashes. I have to save very frequently, but it's not so annoying for me. If you are able to reload the game and get past the part where you crashed, then it shouldn't actually be preventing you from playing the game altogether.

I'm afraid I know of nothing that can fix this.

htotheh
06-01-2006, 04:42 AM
ok, thanks for alll your help
it saved me from killing myself because of boredom