PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Cash

~SapphireStar~
05-31-2006, 03:20 PM
Just wanted to know if there were any Cash fans here. My grandparents got me into him and Im hooked! Some of my favs include:

San Quentin (Live)
I Walk The Line
Give My Love To Rose
Boy Named Sue
One
Ring Of Fire
Beast In Me
Get Rhythm
Jackson
Highwayman
Man In Black

I still have to see the Joaquin Phoenix moive, "Walk the Line", Ive heard that its amazing and Phoenix performs great as Cash. I think he was an excellent country singer and left us with some amazing songs.

EDIT: Cid Vicious just reminded me of one of the songs I love! Been listening to it today and I forgot to mention it!

Cid Vicious
05-31-2006, 03:29 PM
I've not heard that many of his song's, But i like Boy Named Sue, Man In Black, Walk The Line and his version of Hurt. It's the reason i started listening to him in the first place.

~SapphireStar~
05-31-2006, 03:32 PM
He sung One as well, which was also sung by U2. Im not sure who the song was wrote by originally, but I prefer Cash's version.

Madame Adequate
05-31-2006, 04:07 PM
I can honestly say I consider Johnny Cash to be the best musician ever. Some of my faves include;

Ring Of Fire
I Walk The Line
Luther Played The Boogie Woogie
Tennessee Flat-Top Box
Get Rhythm
So Doggone Lonesome
Katy Too

Tons more, too, but those are my absolute faves. His cover of Hurt makes me cry every time, too.

And see 'Walk The Line' as soon as you can. It's awesome.

~SapphireStar~
05-31-2006, 05:22 PM
Personal Jesus, Hung My Head and Bridge Over Troubled Water are excellent tracks too. I just keep remembering more and more :D

Bart's Friend Milhouse
05-31-2006, 05:30 PM
Personal Jesus, Hung My Head and Bridge Over Troubled Water are excellent tracks too. I just keep remembering more and more :D

ain't that simon and garfunkel?

Cz
05-31-2006, 06:35 PM
I don't listen to Johnny Cash as much as I should, but I like what I've heard. What material would you guys recommend starting out with?

Oh, and Walk the Line was an excellent film. :)

Cid Vicious
05-31-2006, 06:42 PM
I don't listen to Johnny Cash as much as I should, but I like what I've heard. What material would you guys recommend starting out with?

Oh, and Walk the Line was an excellent film. :)Cash Unearthed. It's got the best of his songs, and his covers.
There's about five CD's to it. But It's dear so download it.

~SapphireStar~
05-31-2006, 08:08 PM
ain't that simon and garfunkel?
Johnny Cash sung it also, as did Elvis Presley. Im not sure who the original artist is.

What material would you guys recommend starting out with?

I'd say Ring of Fire: the Legend of Johnny Cash is an excellent album as it covers some of his best works also;
Ring Of Fire, I Walk The Line, Jackson, Boy Named Sue, Big River, Get Rhythm, San Quentin, Man In Black, Highwayman, One, Hurt and Wanderer which features U2.

eestlinc
05-31-2006, 11:05 PM
Live at Folsom Prison is a great album. I also really like the song The Man Comes Around from that album in the American Records series.

Rye
05-31-2006, 11:10 PM
I really like Johnny Cash. His voice is amazing, and I consider his cover "Hurt" to be the single greatest cover ever.

Chris
05-31-2006, 11:16 PM
Check out Grace Jones "unique" version of Ring of Fire. It's nothing like the original.

:D

Spiffing Cheese
06-01-2006, 12:15 AM
I love what I've heard of him. :D And Joaquin Phoenix was awesome in Walk the Line.

nik0tine
06-01-2006, 03:57 AM
Rye is right. "Hurt" is probably the greatest cover of all time. I've never heard a cover so well done that it actually surpasses the origional.
Cash is great. There are only a few songs of his that I dislike.

Breine
06-01-2006, 06:27 PM
I didn't really know much of his music before I went to see "Walk the Line", which was a great film by the way, but I've always known him as a talented country legend and after getting into his music a bit more I definitely stand by what I've always known him for.