PDA

View Full Version : Zelda. Good or Sucky?

PontiusPilate
05-31-2006, 10:55 PM
Alright so I've been trying to decide whether or not to get a gamecube so i can get games like smash bros, metroid, and especially zelda. I don't know if i should get Zelda though.

I've played 4 zelda games in my life. all four on the gba. 3 were very very good, and one was screaming with mediocracy. The three good ones were Seasons, Ages, and Linkks Awakening. The fourth was the gba remake of the first zelda game which i thought just sucked. On Filter the game won best story. Bull/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif, that zelda game had a piss poor plot. (hmmm save the princess. now who are we ripping that off of? *cough* mario *cough*.

Anyway, I was wondering if i should get gamecube to play the remake of Majoras mask and ocarina and then get wind waker. How do they differ from the GBA games(other than graphics). Is it worth it?

KentaRawr!
05-31-2006, 11:06 PM
(posts before it's closed)

Zelda rocks. You should get it. :) The plot isn't much to get excited about in most of them, but I still find them quite fun.

Dreddz
05-31-2006, 11:19 PM
I never quite saw what everyone else did in Zelda, sure, there good games, but dont stand out to the rest of them....

Chris
05-31-2006, 11:27 PM
They're okay games (Majora's Mask is GODLY).

Levian
05-31-2006, 11:36 PM
Majora's Mask is my favorite too. (And available for Gamcube, if you buy it.)

Why not pick up the two other GBA Zelda's you haven't got? Minish Camp and ALttP.

Fire_Emblem776
05-31-2006, 11:47 PM
Zelda is fun if you dont need a guide book, its fun figuring it out. But sadly i needed one for the blasted water temple in OOT.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-31-2006, 11:50 PM
Link to the Past was originally a Super Nintendo game, but it is indeed QUITE good.

If you get a Gamecube, pick up the Ocarina of Time release for it, it's a good game. I'm not sure about the extra features but the game itself is quite good. Windwaker is not a bad game, but the sailing may annoy you. I know it annoyed me.

KentaRawr!
05-31-2006, 11:51 PM
Personally, I think you should get the Zelda: Collectors Edition. It contains 4 Zelda Games for the price of one, as well as a demo of the windwaker. It's not sold much anymore, so you'll have to do some searching at www.ebgames.com . It has a nice little search engine that let's you see which stores of theirs near you has which games. :D

LunarWeaver
05-31-2006, 11:55 PM
I think Zelda games are perfectly enjoyable the first time, but after that I have little reason to play them again. That could just be me though... I had little desire to go through all those puzzles of Ocarina again and I had no desire at all to sail around for obscene amounts of time in Windwaker again.

I guess if you put an emphasis on RPG elements and not action/adventure elements, this might not be for you. But if you enjoy games that simply aim to be fun then this could be your cup of tea.

Yuffie514
05-31-2006, 11:57 PM
i have a GameCube, but i regret not playing my Legend of Zelda games at the most important time - when they first debuted. the best one is Zelda: A Link To The Past, for Super Nintendo, and recently GameBoy Advance. i still spend too much time on PlayStation...

XxSephirothxX
05-31-2006, 11:58 PM
That's not really even a question. The only Zelda games that were "sucky" were for the CD-i and weren't even made by Nintendo.

Fire_Emblem776
06-01-2006, 12:05 AM
That's not really even a question. The only Zelda games that were "sucky" were for the CD-i and weren't even made by Nintendo.

yup ^_^ But i have yet to play the minish cap.:eep:

PontiusPilate
06-01-2006, 12:27 AM
i thought ages, seasons, and links awakening were great. havent played minish. but i thought a link to the past was just plain mediocre

Zeromus_X
06-01-2006, 12:51 AM
Majora's Mask = <3 Surreal endings!!!

I've played: The original (only got to level 7 or so.), Zelda II (Also, not very far.), Link's Awakening (beaten it a few times, love using the wall-trick:p), Link to the Past (beaten it far too many times), Ocarina of Time (same here), Majora's Mask (a few times), Oracle of Seasons (didn't get very far.), Oracle of Ages (beaten it once, pretty fun.).

I would think Zelda is more about puzzles/exploration/omg how do I kill this crazy boss than an outstanding story, but I wouldn't say the story is bad. (I think OoT had a very good story!) And I never tire of playing the games more than one time. I haven't played many of the newer games, but I'm sure they're good too.

Still...I don't like the Capcom design of Link. He looks scary. :(

Giga Guess
06-01-2006, 02:03 AM
Personally, I like the series, but it's not for those who frustrate easily.

~SapphireStar~
06-01-2006, 02:19 AM
Personally, I like the series, but it's not for those who frustrate easily.
Amen brother, QFT. The amount of times Ive wanted to throw my controller at the TV, but I still think its a great series and I cant wait for the GC installment :D

Perducci
06-01-2006, 02:20 AM
All of them suck except Link to the past.

Orophin
06-01-2006, 02:22 AM
but i thought a link to the past was just plain mediocre

I'm confuse now, you said that the only sucky Zelda game you have played was the first Zelda game at the beginning of the topic and now you talk about A Link to the past. A Link to the past is not the first game and I hope you talked about the first Zelda because A Link to the Past is one of the most loved zelda game for a lot of fan of Zelda (not as much as Ocarina of Time) and I can't think how you could think it is mediocre.

ljkkjlcm9
06-01-2006, 02:38 AM
All I have to say is, he answered his own question, "I think three were good games and one was mediocre." At no point were any of them sucky so I guess Zelda games are good then.

Anyways, I enjoy them, and for people who complain about stories being copied, go look it up there can only be 8 different types of stories, go ahead and google it

THE JACKEL

Madame Adequate
06-01-2006, 06:13 AM
All I have to say is, he answered his own question, "I think three were good games and one was mediocre." At no point were any of them sucky so I guess Zelda games are good then.

Anyways, I enjoy them, and for people who complain about stories being copied, go look it up there can only be 8 different types of stories, go ahead and google it

THE JACKAL

Just because someone claims there is a certain set of (Criminally broad) archetypes doesn't actually mean much. Moreover, I don't criticize Zelda games for their story, it's usually too lacking to BE criticized, I criticize them because they are boring and directionless. As I have said many times, if I want top-down adventuring, I'll go find a copy of the original Alundra, which is fucking incredible and beats the /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif out of every Zelda game single-handed. I can see the proficiency in OoT and MM, but I don't care for either of those games. They've never dragged me in, or rather haven't maintained my interest at all after a few hours, and don't provide me with anything I find enjoyable or interesting. Wind Waker did better, but still couldn't make me care enough to see it through.

ljkkjlcm9
06-01-2006, 06:20 AM

THE JACKAL

Just because someone claims there is a certain set of (Criminally broad) archetypes doesn't actually mean much. Moreover, I don't criticize Zelda games for their story, it's usually too lacking to BE criticized, I criticize them because they are boring and directionless. As I have said many times, if I want top-down adventuring, I'll go find a copy of the original Alundra, which is smurfing incredible and beats the /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif out of every Zelda game single-handed. I can see the proficiency in OoT and MM, but I don't care for either of those games. They've never dragged me in, or rather haven't maintained my interest at all after a few hours, and don't provide me with anything I find enjoyable or interesting. Wind Waker did better, but still couldn't make me care enough to see it through.
Any writer or story teller agrees with this, not just one random person saying there are only 8 types of stories. They are types of stories. AND of course Hero saving Princess is the most common one, it's the easiest to make a game of. You may criticize them for being "directionless" which most of them are not, maybe the early ones, but not the new ones, but being able to basically go anywhere is typically a well liked characteristic to a game. I love being able to go places I'm not suppose to be yet, see if I can get anything. The puzzles of the game are also fun.

THE JACKEL

Cid Vicious
06-01-2006, 01:59 PM
It's one of the best series of all time. And the NPC's are hillarious.