PDA

View Full Version : Japan's top 100 games

Carmilla
05-31-2006, 11:38 PM
This polls a few months old but i thought it was quite interesting.
It has the top 100 games voted by Famitsu readers.
Famitsu is kind of like the 'holy grail' of video game magazines...

Final Fantasy XI is the only main FF title to not make the list. hehe :p

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2401&Itemid=2&limit=1&limitstart=0

I Took the Red Pill
05-31-2006, 11:41 PM
Wow, X-2 above MGS and MGS 2? Ouch.

~SapphireStar~
05-31-2006, 11:44 PM
Glad to see FF8s there, even though its 22 ... And I cant believe FFX2 is so high up in the polls. I thoght people hated that game.

Fire_Emblem776
05-31-2006, 11:44 PM
All right tetris made it!

Zeromus_X
05-31-2006, 11:45 PM
Already saw it, looks neat I guess. VP is like in 19th place, cool.

Still, it doesn't tell what a game is good or not, it's just a list.

Erdrick Holmes
05-31-2006, 11:48 PM
1. Final Fantasy X (2001)- No... just no

10. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998) Way too high

20. Streetfighter II (1992) WAAAAAY too fucking low

26. Metal Gear Solid 3 (2004) STILL TOO LOW

32. Final Fantasy X-2 (2003) Why is this here

39. Virtua Fighter (1994) You gotta be fucking kidding me

49. Sonic the Hedgehog (1991) th fact that this isn't within the top ten makes me question if this list is fake or not

76. GTA: Vice City (2004)... this pieceo f trash got HIGHER than Resident Evil 4 and Street Fighter II Turbo? I thought Japanese gamers HATED the GTA series.

This list blows and makes no sence whatsoever.

Dreddz
05-31-2006, 11:51 PM
Not surprised by anything on that list.

Chris
06-01-2006, 12:10 AM
24. Final Fantasy IX (2000)
:(!

Carmilla
06-01-2006, 12:13 AM
This is the closest poll ive found to compare it: a IGN top 99 list by its readers from 2005.

http://microsites.ign.com/kfc/top99games/

DeathKnight
06-01-2006, 01:39 AM
Japs know what's good.

FFX-GREAT GREAT choice, hell who doesn't remember this game. There are games which are FORGETABLE, this game is unforgetable, wehther you like it or not. FFX-2 is also up there, yup Japs are not like us americans, they accept the girly scene openly, it's not like EVERYTHING has to be made for us males, very kick ass game and fun all around.

Dreddz
06-01-2006, 12:15 PM
Now that I look at it, im shocked how little fighters are on that list, appalled in fact. Its good that Street Fighter 2 is on the list, but at number 20! Should be in the top 10 in my opinion. And where the hell is Tekken ?

Cz
06-01-2006, 12:21 PM
No way! You mean this poll doesn't accurately reflect the views of every single person in the world!? We should sue Japan or something! :eek:

scooby
06-01-2006, 06:46 PM
My God! The Japanese like their RPGs, don't they!? :surprised They completely dominate that list!

I'm not surprised that FFX - with the heavy Asian influence evident in it's design and themes - is number 1. Likewise, I'm not surprised - but I am horrified :eek: - that FFX-2 is that popular. You just have to check out the Cosplay community in Japan; all the evidence is right there!

Interesting that FFIII, a game we've never gotten, is the fourth highest ranked of the FFs on the list - at 8th place.

Perducci
06-01-2006, 10:03 PM
Why is FFX number 1?

Madame Adequate
06-01-2006, 10:22 PM
Why is FFX number 1?

Because when you put nostalgia aside, it's better than FFVII, which is the only game that comes close. Aside from Suikodens, of course. But I never expected those to be popular enough to be competing for first.

Anyway of course everyone's going to disagree with parts of this list. I see no X-Com, which should really be in the top 5. No Alpha Centauri. Chrono Trigger at 28, but no Chrono Cross at all (That one really is BS, actually). And the presence of ANY Dragon Quest games, at all. I disagree with every single one of those, and quite bit more besides. But this list isn't here to measure my opinions, but the opinions of whoever Famitsu polled.

I approve, because I dislike Earthbound, but am nonetheless surprised, to see Mother and Mother 2 so low. I would have bet on at least one of them being in the top 20. Also glad to see Zelda isn't in the top 5, but again rather surprised.

black orb
06-01-2006, 10:43 PM
Already saw it, looks neat I guess. VP is like in 19th place, cool.
>>> VP is placed 27, still pretty cool though..

I cant believe Suikoden games are not on the list.. :mad2:

Captain Maxx Power
06-01-2006, 11:05 PM
So much for the old "DQ R BETTERER THN FF CUZ DA JAPANESZES BUY IT MRE LOL" debate. There's two FF's above DQ. Plus regarding the whole Sonic thing, Sonic has never been hugely popular in Japan compared to say Mario. Sonic didn't really become popular until Sonic Jam was released.

Dreddz
06-01-2006, 11:15 PM
Sonic was more popular in America and Europe I believe....

Erdrick Holmes
06-01-2006, 11:21 PM
That may be, but DQ is so popular that the Japanese governemnt had to make it illegal for Enix to sell the game on any day of the week but sunday. So many people there were taking time off from school and work just to stand in line and buy them.

Madame Adequate
06-02-2006, 02:35 AM
That may be, but DQ is so popular that the Japanese governemnt had to make it illegal for Enix to sell the game on any day of the week but sunday. So many people there were taking time off from school and work just to stand in line and buy them.

True, but that apparently doesn't translate into Famitsu's readership thinking DQ games are the best there are.

Gau Dude
06-02-2006, 04:04 AM
Interesting indeed.

100 to 91:
Super Mario Bros. III, Secret of Mana... No big deals.

90 to 81:
Well, Kung-Fu made it in, and that's cool. Surprising indeed.

80 to 71:
Nothing special.

70 to 61:
Now THIS is something! This one is interesting. Super Mario Kart made it, and it's cool (and fair), but... "Hokkaido Murder Mystery"? WTF? Final Fantasy is hear too, 63th place. And it's weird "Super Mario World" only made it to the 61st, through it was awesome.

60 to 51:
Well, FFII is hear, and it's a surprise. It's better then the first one, as it, at least, has STORY, but I heard it wasn't that popular. I have the ROM, but not the time to play.

50 to 41:
Not much. Metal Gear Solid, of course. Sonic the Hedgehog, how can they forget it. Legend of Zelda, obvious. Ogre Battle. OGRE BATTLE??!!?! For crying out loud, this game was terrible! Had anybody played this piece of no enterteinment? This is horrible!
Then, back to normal. Animal Crossing, as expected, MGS2, and Zelda Windwaker.

40 to 31:
Dragon Quest V is here for the PS remake. I played the SNES version, but it wasn't that good. It might be interesting for the PS. Then there's also Dragon Quest VI and FFX-2. Oh, Mother and Mother II are on here too, though it wasn't that important.

30 to 21:
Mostly RPGs. Original Dragon Quest is here, Kingdom Hearts II, MGS3, FFVI, FFIX, and FFVIII. Super Mario Bros. is on top, hooray.

20 to 11:
What a pleasent surprise. Streetfighter II made it, so it's cool. Kingdom Hearts is here too, of course. Dragon Quest II and Xenogears... Then FFV, and Dragon Quest IV. And look who's on the 11th spot... Dragon Quest V, the original version! Seems I should play again.

10 to 1:
Oh my god. WHAT A SURPRISE! "Legend of Zelda: Ocrina of Time" is on the 10th spot! HOW COULD I EVER EXPECT THAT? Then Dragon Quest VII, Final Fantasy III (It was THAT good? The opening seemed like crap. But it seems I may revisit it, if it's better then all the games already mentioned...). FFIV, I have no idea how he passed all these masterpieces, but he's not that bad after all, so it's okay.
on the fourth place there's Dragon Quest VIII.
Third: Dragon Quest III (Thought it was bad).
Second: FFVII (Well done, Square!).
FIRST: FFX. HOORAY!

Not a surprising finale, but enjoyable indeed. Thanks for the link.

black orb
06-02-2006, 06:07 AM
>>> Isnt Japan a great country?...:love:

Erdrick Holmes
06-02-2006, 11:35 AM
What amazes me is how Japan thinks GTA is better than RE4. Putting aside my hatred for those games, if one does the magic of using the brain matter behind their eyeballs they'd KNOW that RE4 is a much better game. I mean it's cool that it made it to this list and all, but putting it BEHIND GTA is a crime.

Auragaea
06-03-2006, 12:35 AM
What amazes me is how Japan thinks GTA is better than RE4. Putting aside my hatred for those games, if one does the magic of using the brain matter behind their eyeballs they'd KNOW that RE4 is a much better game. I mean it's cool that it made it to this list and all, but putting it BEHIND GTA is a crime.

Your opinion. The Japanese don't care obviously.

Rengori
06-03-2006, 04:38 AM
FFX-GREAT GREAT choice, hell who doesn't remember this game.
I forgot about almost the entire game and I only came back to it like 2 years later.

Rostum
06-03-2006, 06:33 AM
I think some of you guys need to realise that everyone has different opinions, and that different cultures are going to defenately have different opinions as a whole on such things.

I'm not too suprised with the list, although I expected some games to be on there, that wern't. I knew it'd be filled with RPG's, and there are a lot of games there that I do love. ^^;

DeathKnight
06-03-2006, 06:35 PM
I think some of you guys need to realise that everyone has different opinions, and that different cultures are going to defenately have different opinions as a whole on such things.

I'm not too suprised with the list, although I expected some games to be on there, that wern't. I knew it'd be filled with RPG's, and there are a lot of games there that I do love. ^^;

You're awesome! thanks for clearing that up for the MACHO "I don't like FFX-2" fanboys. And I like the way you posted everything. And yes, I do have a lot of those games too:)

Dreddz
06-03-2006, 07:20 PM
I was just surprised, im not trying to criticize the japanese's opinion.

crono_logical
06-03-2006, 08:06 PM
I'm surprised there's no Super Robot games in that list, really, being a japanese poll :p I read too fast and missed 55 :p

EDIT: I see To Heart II made the list at 62 - also surprising considering the genre of that game :p

Roto13
06-03-2006, 08:32 PM
Any list that doesn't have Ocarina of Time at #1 automatically fails. And over half of the top twenty are Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games. :rolleyes2

a nirvana fan
06-04-2006, 12:52 PM
MGS2 doesnt beat MGS1, oh well its those Japanese being stupid:D

And FFVII should be number 1 as its so amazing but some great games are in there...Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy Series, MGS, Tetris, Sonic The Hedgehog.