PDA

View Full Version : Musical Covers

~SapphireStar~
06-01-2006, 08:46 PM
Sorry if there has already been a thread on this, but which would you say are the best and worst covers youve heard?

Best:

Jeff Buckleys cover of Leonard Cohen's piece Hallelujah is amazing. It can reduce me to tears because Jeff had a beautiful voice and the song is beautiful.
Goldfinger's 99 red balloons originally sung by Nena, I think. Its so upbeaty and makes me wanna start dancing :eek:
Barenaked Ladies version of Little Green Bag. Such a great track and so jazzy! Plus Tom Jones helps :D
Faith No More with Easy. Lionel Richies version is great, but this one just mellows me out more.
Johnny Cash with One. Im not sure who orignally wrote it, but I prefer this version to U2s.
Reel Big Fish singing Take On Me. Such an awesome track.
Oh and everything Me, First and the Gimme Gimmes sing!

Worst:

Ronan Keating with Fairytale Of New York. Just die now Ronan. Shame on you.
William Shatner performing Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds ... Enough said.
Sweet Dreams by Marilyn Manson. I like him and I like that song, but the 2 should never have been introduced.

How bout you? I cant think of anymore naff ones, but post yours!

NeoCracker
06-01-2006, 08:48 PM
Goldfingers 99 red baloons definatly rocked.

The only other I can think of is Alien Ant Farm, smooth Criminal. Much better than MJ's.

Rye
06-01-2006, 08:51 PM
Johnny Cash - Hurt is the best cover I've ever heard.

Chris
06-01-2006, 08:54 PM
Grace's version of Edith Piaf's "La Vie En Rose" is beyond the beyond. She's amazing! Amazing Grace.

Zeldy
06-01-2006, 08:56 PM
The Rasmus' cover of Björk's song 'Play Dead' is so beautiful.
Their cover of 'Ghostbusters' is well. Haha. Yes. Amusing!

Spatvark
06-01-2006, 09:18 PM
Nirvana - The Man Who Sold the World = awesomeage

Shoden
06-01-2006, 09:29 PM
Best: Hmmmm.... Metallica - Whiskey In The Jar

Worst: Die Krupps - Battery

jrgen
06-01-2006, 10:35 PM
I like that cover. Their cover of Blackened is better though.

Mirage
06-01-2006, 11:06 PM
What's wrong with Marlyn Manson's Sweet Dreams? :p
I like Dream Theater's version of Master of Puppets.

I Took the Red Pill
06-01-2006, 11:12 PM
No question, Hendrix's "Hey Joe"

Venom
06-01-2006, 11:12 PM
W.A.S.P.'s cover of paint it black was awesome.

Shoden
06-01-2006, 11:21 PM
I like that cover. Their cover of Blackened is better though.

Way too techno like for my liking, yeah their cover of blackened was better, but can't beat the originals. I liked Machine Head's Battery cover best.

Kirobaito
06-01-2006, 11:22 PM
Some of my favorites:

James Taylor covering the Drifters' hit "Up on a Roof." Both versions are good, though, so I'm not sure if that would count as best cover.

My favorite song in the world, "Thirsty Boots" by Eric Andersen, is much better covered. Andersen was a great songwriter, but GOOOOOOD he can't sing. Take your pick of John Denver, Judy Collins, or John Gorka for a much, much better version.

I've come to understand that Jimi Hendrix's "All Along the Watchtower" is infinitely times better than Dylan's.

As for worst, Paul Young attempting to do John Hurley's "Love of the Common People."

I Took the Red Pill
06-01-2006, 11:41 PM
I forgot worst. I'd have to say Mariah Carey's cover of Bringing on the Heartbreak.

Aurey
06-01-2006, 11:48 PM
Hmm. Owen Pallett does a lot of good covers. My favourites being his cover of OMD's first four songs off of Dazzle Ships, and Jan of Arc's "The Hands". He also does an excellent version of "This Modern Love" by Bloc Party.

And then some more (original band/performer in brackets):
Les Mouches - "(They Long To Be) Close To You" (Carpenters)
Polmo Polpo - "Kiss Me Again And Again" (reinterpretation of an Arthur Russell song)
Animal Collective - "Polly" (Nirvana)
Feist - "See-Line Woman" (Nina Simone)
Stars - "Fairytale of New York" (The Pogues)

Uhmm, that's all I can think of.
EDIT: All of these are good. I can't think of some bad ones.

SammieBabe
06-02-2006, 12:35 AM
The Ramones covering CCR's "Have You Ever Seen the Rain?". The Ramones did a really good job. They sped up the tempo, but not so much that you couldn't understand the lyrics.
Some of my other favorites have been mentioned...
I also despised Korn's "Another Brick in the Wall". There's a special place in the afterlife for people who butcher Pink Floyd...

DK
06-02-2006, 12:51 AM
Best: Hmmmm.... Metallica - Whiskey In The Jar

Yes, this song rocks. Also, Children of Bodom - She Is Beautiful is totally awesome.

Mythra
06-02-2006, 02:41 AM
I would have to say Evans Blue version of Sarah Mclachlan's Possession. I just really like the way they made the song more of a rock song, which I really like. Also, Metallica's cover of Bob Seger's "Turn the Page". So much better than the original in my opinion.

Shoden
06-02-2006, 03:36 AM
Metallica's cover of Bob Seger's "Turn the Page". So much better than the original in my opinion.

I love that song too.

Cid Vicious
06-02-2006, 09:19 AM
Johnny Cash - Hurt
Nirvava - The Man Who Sold The World

The first time i heard Hurt it amazed me. I didn't know it was a cover, i thought it was about his own troubles. The part near the end when he breaks up got me. The video for it is one of the best i've seen.

Cz
06-02-2006, 10:02 AM
Jeff Buckleys cover of Leonard Cohen's piece Hallelujah is amazing. It can reduce me to tears because Jeff had a beautiful voice and the song is beautiful.I wholeheartedly endorse this statement. There are plenty of great covers out there, but this is probably the best. :up: