PDA

View Full Version : Characters you never use

Cid Vicious
06-02-2006, 10:20 AM
What's the characters in FFIX you don't bother using?
I never use Quina and Eiko. The party i mostly stick to is Zidane, Steiner, Amarant and Dagger/Vivi.
I don't use summons so Eiko is pointless, Quina's attack are to weak and unless you catch frogs his blue magic is worthless. He's still the best character in the game though. :quina:

Dell
06-02-2006, 11:02 AM
My Main Party consist of Zidane, Vivi, Eiko and Steiner.
Zidane and Steiner do brilliant damage while Vivi pound them with wonderful magic. Eiko will stick on healing my parties as well as using Holy and Madeen.

I always use all of them but the member I left the most is Garnet and Amarant. I always use Freya to do Cherry Blossom and Dragon Crest while Quina to use Auto-Life, Pumpkin Head, Frog Drop and Limit Glove in certain point.

I don't use Amarant because my Amarant is weak plus you get him late. Maybe, I should train him a little. Meh, Amarant never got my interest, anyway.

I don't use Garnet because her white magic crap. Though, having 8 strong summon, I never bothered to go and find jewel to strengthen their attack. For me, I think Eiko is better than Garnet. Eiko also have supporting summon: Carbuncle and Phoenix. Plus, the chance of Phoenix Auto-Life.

I don't use summons so Garnet is pointless.

Correction. ^__^

Zeromus_X
06-02-2006, 11:04 AM
Never, ever used Salamander.

Don't use Steiner as often as I should.

Don't use Garnet as often as Eiko. I prefer Holy/and other supportive spells to her powerful summons.

Although I usually mage it out with Zidane/Quina/Vivi/Eiko anyway.

boys from the dwarf
06-02-2006, 11:43 AM
just because eiko gets higher level white magic earlier doesnt make her better. you can get curaga easily with garnet. some people just assume eiko is instantly better because she starts with cura. garnet has more powerful summons.eiko may have stronger white magic but with garnet i can easily heal 4,000HP and over with a curaga which is more than enough. garnet is a bit underrated. amarant is also very underrated. his attacks can do heavy damage with the right weapon and he has aura which is one of the most useful spells on the game. and against strong bosses his attack that changes the enemys weakness is very useful. fighting isnt his strongest point but his skills make him very good for passive abilities and support. i usually use zidane, amarant, garnet and vivi. i dont use quina much. hes good and very useful but ive never really been one to go around and collect blue magic. his attacks are sometimes a little annoying. id like to know a damage formula for quinas attacks because i remember doing 2,000+ damage with one attack and doing about 86 damage with the next. quinas blue magic like mighty gaurd is very useful though. quinas still the character i use the least.

Zeromus_X
06-02-2006, 11:46 AM
It's not like any of the characters are bad, they all have good and bad points. Anyway, I use Eiko mainly for Holy. That doesn't mean I don't swap her out for Garnet for her nifty 'Auto-Summon' trance sometimes. (And hell, it is my opinion after all.)

TheSpoonyBard
06-02-2006, 11:50 AM
As soon as they're available I use Zidane, Freya and Quina. The fourth character is Dagger until Amarant joins, then I use him. I don't bother with Vivi or Steiner. I've never felt the need to.

Fantasy Fan
06-02-2006, 11:50 AM
I usually use:
Zidane, Garnet, Freya, Amarant, or:
Steiner, Vivi, Quina, Eiko.

Dell
06-02-2006, 11:51 AM
Actually, Eiko only need about 30 AP to learn Curaga while Garnet need about 160 AP and Eiko obtain Curaga earlier than Garnet. Eiko specialize in Haste, Holy, Full-Life, Dispel, Jewel and Might which is very useful.

f f freak
06-02-2006, 11:52 AM
My fave team is Zidane(coz u have to until memoria) Garnet(for summoning) Vivi(for black magic) and eiko(for healing) For the bit at oeilvert i swapped my teams a little I had zidane amarant eiko and Quina for desert palace I had steiner freya vivi and Garnet

Fantasy Fan
06-02-2006, 12:04 PM
what's weird is:
Garnet when escaped, had a white mage outfit on, but she's best at summoning.
Eiko has a summoners horn, but is best at white magic.

THAT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE.

TheSpoonyBard
06-02-2006, 12:12 PM
Garnet had one too, but her adoptive father had it removed.

Zeromus_X
06-02-2006, 01:03 PM
I also find it ironic.

Garnet was raised with no knowledge of her heritage, yet is best at summoning.

Eiko lived in Madain Sari her whole life, yet is better at white magic.

Huh.

Ah well. Continue on with the thread. :cat:

Fantasy Fan
06-02-2006, 02:11 PM
Garnet had one too, but her adoptive father had it removed.
yes I know.

I think Garnet should be white mage and Eiko be summon. Screw the limit breaks and techniques, they should change.
Or Eiko should have been different altogether.
Ah screw it, I can't change a game.

Back on-topic, I use all the characters best I can.

Chris
06-02-2006, 02:28 PM
I almost never use Garnet and Amarant. I don't really know why, but Garnet seems useless in comparison to Eiko, and Amarant to Freya and Steiner. I always use Quina for her/ his blue magic.

Crossblades
06-02-2006, 02:40 PM
I used everyone. They're all useful IMO

Dell
06-02-2006, 02:57 PM
I almost never use Garnet and Amarant. I don't really know why, but Garnet seems useless in comparison to Eiko, and Amarant to Freya and Steiner. I always use Quina for her/ his blue magic.

Good job, Chris! Same as me!

Twilight Edge
06-02-2006, 05:40 PM
Garnet is only useful at the beginning.When Eiko joins you,you'd might just give up using Garnet.Amarant is cool.Freya me don't use as much as him or Steiner.

my party usually-Zidane(attack and trance),Eiko(support and holy),Vivi(attack with flare) and Amarant(chakra and No mercy).

Fantasy Fan
06-02-2006, 06:00 PM
my brother uses: Zidane, Vivi, Steiner, Garnet

but he's a 7/8/10 fanboy.

StarChild
06-02-2006, 06:15 PM
I use for the most part Zidance, Steiner, Garnet and Eiko...I use Vivi too a lot.

i don't use Quina. I just never have.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
06-02-2006, 08:33 PM
Vivi and Dagger

Fantasy Fan
06-02-2006, 10:17 PM
I use for the most part Zidance, Steiner, Garnet and Eiko...I use Vivi too a lot.

i don't use Quina. I just never have.
you did on the first disk! :D

~SapphireStar~
06-02-2006, 10:31 PM

I dont get it, what has that got to do with his choice of characters?

I mainly used Zidane, Vivi, Garnet (or Eiko for healer) and Amarant (sp), so I get to use strength with black, white magic and summons.

Fantasy Fan
06-02-2006, 10:45 PM

I dont get it, what has that got to do with his choice of characters?

I mainly used Zidane, Vivi, Garnet (or Eiko for healer) and Amarant (sp), so I get to use strength with black, white magic and summons.
do you follow me around at all?

Yuffie514
06-03-2006, 01:12 AM
i never used Amarant in one of my files ever since he ran off to Ipsen's Castle. and i'll most be seeing the least of Steiner.

Zidane
Vivi (Rep: Eiko/Quina)
Garnet (Rep: Eiko/Quina)
Freya (Rep: Steiner)

daggertrepe
06-03-2006, 02:55 AM
Haha...good topic.

I never used Quina. Never will. Never cared much for Freya either-she didn't do anything for me. Though Reis's Wind was cool.

Steiner is awesome. I am fucked without him. I don't know what I would do without my male Beatrix!!! (Shock does 9999 every time! :D )

I used Garnet the first two times I played, but then I found out she sucked when she was only doing 2000 gamage with bahamut, and Eiko was going like 9700 with holy and I was like, screw Garnet, she costs too much.

Vivi is great, but he gets tiring, and he makes the game way too easy. (Carbuncle+Reflectx4+thundaga=9999)

Eiko rox my sox with holy, madeen, carbuncle (YES!), and just everything. I will NEVER EVER stop using her or Steiner! EVER!

I'm actually thinking about using amarant this time around. He seems pretty good.

So I have had these people as parties:

Zidane, Garnet, Vivi, Eiko
Zidane, Steiner, Vivi, Eiko

And now I think I'm going to use

Zidane, Steiner, Amarant, and Eiko because I figure Amarant can do just as much as damage as Garnet by just attacking and using his skills.

Darkwing Bahamut
06-03-2006, 08:14 AM
Well in order to complete the game it is required that you use each party member at least once. My main party consisted of Zidane, Vivi, Freya and Steiner. That was also the party I used for the final boss. The rest I hardly ever use, unless I really need to.

Zidane and Steiner are mainly for attacking, Vivi for Magic and Freya for Reis's Wind and Jump. Usually I don't bother having Healers in the party.

solidusoul
06-03-2006, 09:27 AM
The party I used to use most was Zidane, Freya, Amarant, and Vivi. Apparently I healing was never that much of a problem with Charka, Revive, and Reis Wind.

I usually avoided Quina the most because I didn't really like the character design, but I'm playing it again and have started getting into Blue Magic more, so we'll see.

I'm gonna try and get everything (except Excalibur II) for all of them and see which ones work best though.

Fantasy Fan
06-03-2006, 05:38 PM
I once used the cheat to make Beatrix a playable character all the way through and my party was:

Steiner, Beatrix, Freya, Dagger
Steiner, Beatrix, Vivi, Eiko

it was really cool! :D

Peter_20
06-03-2006, 06:22 PM
I always choose Zidane, Vivi, Garnet and Steiner, and the others were pretty much deadweight. :D

I must atmit that Quina's Blue Magic and Eiko's White Magic had their limelights, though.

Ouch!
06-03-2006, 09:28 PM
I've used my fair share of everyone *except* Eiko. As far as I'm concerned, there's not a whole lot that's special about her.

On my last play through I used Zidane, Amarant, Freya, and Steiner most often. On this most recent playthrough, I'm putting the effort into maximizing the damage output of a Zidane, Quina, Freya, Steiner party. =P

kain_ex
06-04-2006, 04:56 AM
well, I usually use: Zidane, Vivi, Freya 'n Steiner.

I never saw any REAL need on having supportive chars at battles, except for the most though enemy of the game (u know which...).

But that don't mean I don't like the others, all of them are good, but I really like an offensive party.

Acid Raine
06-04-2006, 05:01 AM
I never really used Freya or Eiko. I know a lot of people in here are going to say :quina: but I think s/he was actually pretty strong.

Rogue
06-04-2006, 05:09 AM
zidane freya vivi and garnet is my fav team i sometimes switch vivi and eiko around when i need extra healing and sometimes also take vivi out for stenier and amarant for backup fighters and my final team was...................zidane/eiko/amarant/vivi

Quindiana Jones
06-04-2006, 11:07 AM
I'm a melee preference fighter, so my favourite party is one full of beautiful women and lots of alcohol, preferably red wine and vodka. Not together though.

But my dream team on FF9 is Zidane (first character, very sentimental :cry: and holy cow! 9999 damage easy!), Steiner (holy cow! 9999 damage easy!), Freya (holy cow! 9999 damage easy!), and Amarant (holy cow! 9999 damage easy!).

Rengori
06-04-2006, 06:59 PM
I think Steiner was the only person in the 30's when I finished. But I did steal all of Beatrix's armor so he wouldn't get killed as fast if I needed to use him again.

achtungkate
06-05-2006, 06:55 AM
I always stick the orginal four, Zidane, Steiner, Vivi, and Dagger. I have a preference to them, although Freya's always good too.

daggertrepe
06-09-2006, 07:21 PM
Why is everyone hating on Eiko? Have you ever even used her? :confused:

Actually I think she's a lot better than Garnet in battle.

So shoot me.

Darth Cid
06-09-2006, 07:31 PM
Zidane: Garnet's a better battler than Eiko, Eiko is a better healer, that's why my team usually comprises of Zidane, Garnet, Vivi, Eiko. Meaning I never use those other four whoever they are. LOL

daggertrepe
06-09-2006, 07:38 PM
Zidane: Garnet's a better battler than Eiko, Eiko is a better healer, that's why my team usually comprises of Zidane, Garnet, Vivi, Eiko. Meaning I never use those other four whoever they are. LOL

Yeah I used them once. It was a pretty good party!

Darth Cid
06-09-2006, 07:44 PM
Zidane: Yes, but I forgot to mention, after everyone had Auto-Regen, it defeated the purpose of Eiko, but she one of my high level characters so I had to mess around with her spells until I found something useful for her to do.

daggertrepe
06-09-2006, 07:46 PM
Zidane: Yes, but I forgot to mention, after everyone had Auto-Regen, it defeated the purpose of Eiko, but she one of my high level characters so I had to mess around with her spells until I found something useful for her to do.

Why, there's madeen, carbuncle, holy, curaga, phoenix (which revives characters and does damage) and all that other shweet stuff!

a nirvana fan
06-09-2006, 07:47 PM
I never use Eiko.

I use my other characters a lot, i always switch them randomely.

Darth Cid
06-09-2006, 07:50 PM
Zidane: When you got your characters set up the way I have mine set up, you don't have to worry about K.O.ing so that defeats the purpose of Phoenix, Carbunkle is fun to use when I'm bored, to do FFIV Magus Sisters Delta Attack formation, only because Ruby Light does Reflect on all the characters and Vivi's at Level 3 spells, we called the formation the Delta Cannon.

daggertrepe
06-09-2006, 07:54 PM
Zidane: When you got your characters set up the way I have mine set up, you don't have to worry about K.O.ing so that defeats the purpose of Phoenix, Carbunkle is fun to use when I'm bored, to do FFIV Magus Sisters Delta Attack formation, only because Ruby Light does Reflect on all the characters and Vivi's at Level 3 spells, we called the formation the Delta Cannon.

Well, we have our opinions. I just found Garnet useless. Maybe it's becuz I wasn't using her right.

Darth Cid
06-09-2006, 08:01 PM
Zidane: Yeah probably.

GrandLethal
06-11-2006, 05:57 PM
I found garnet useless because Eiko gets cura and life before her

Quindiana Jones
06-11-2006, 06:04 PM
I didn't use either of them. I prefer good ol' "kill before you get killed" methods.

Vivi123
06-11-2006, 06:21 PM
My party is Zidane, Dagger, Vivi, and Eiko. I hardly used Quina S/he was low 30's and everybody was in their 50's and 60's.

Dreddz
06-11-2006, 06:36 PM
Freya.

Daio
06-11-2006, 07:09 PM
My main party was usually Zidane, Garnet, Vivi and Freya.

I didn't care much for Steiner, Amarant, or Quina, so I barely used them.

eden knight
06-12-2006, 05:08 AM
Eiko and Freya

Lon611
06-12-2006, 05:12 AM
i tend to use characters that are important to the storyline...for instance my main party in ffx would be tidus, auron, and yuna, and possibly wakka if im bored :tongue:

in ffix,freya lost her appeal after awhile and i stuck to dagger, vivi, zidane and steiner. every1 else seems to have like 3 lines and only tends to talk when its a "group" conversation...

for vii tho, i just stuck with vince, cloud and barret cuz i thot every1 else was weak sauce :eek:

Eiko Guy
06-12-2006, 08:40 AM
i never use freya or quina or amarant everybody is in their 70's but they are on 16 18 and 27

Darth Cid
06-14-2006, 01:28 AM
I found garnet useless because Eiko gets cura and life before her

Zidane: I found Eiko useless after I got Auto-Regen.

Evilgoddess
06-14-2006, 02:33 AM
i never use amarant or freya theyre not very strong

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-14-2006, 02:39 AM
I rarely use Vivi, Steiner, Garnet, or Eiko.

<<MiKo BaHaMuT>>
06-14-2006, 04:53 AM
I usually stick with Zidane, Dagger, Steiner and one more is either Freya or Amarant.
Actually I think the best dual combo is Steiner and Vivi but unfortunately, his defense is not as high as Freya. And also actually Eiko's white magic and limit (double white) pwns dagger's but she has a low HP =.=

J.Raven
06-14-2006, 01:42 PM
I used everyone, one way or another. Different situations required different people. For example when Kuja sends Zidane to Oielvert where there is no magic, I brought in Amarant, who was good at physical attacks. However in the final battle my choice of characters was based on their HP, exp level, how powerful their best weapons, curing ability and eidolons were and their max damage ability, i.e. Zidane, Steiner, Freija, Garnet.

Chris
06-14-2006, 01:51 PM
I'm starting over, and I plan on using the characters I haven't used as much as the others. I'll probably use a team that consist of Zidane, Eiko, Garnet and Vivi. That's the only team I haven't used so far.

SaintDave
06-15-2006, 12:17 AM
i always used zidane, garnet, steiner and vivi and the rest i didnt bother.
how did you guys use freya? i thought she was pants.