PDA

View Full Version : Multiple personality disorder

Itsunari 2000
06-02-2006, 10:06 PM
Have you ever thought, at any point, that you might have multiple personality disorder ? It's certainly on my mind at any given time nowadays, if you look at my behaviour over the years ...

Madonna
06-02-2006, 10:16 PM
There was a point in my life when I thought such a thing would be awesome. The reality would be that it would suck.

I never thought I had a disorder of any sort.

Dignified Pauper
06-02-2006, 10:40 PM
where is trumpet thief (http://forums.eyesonff.com/member.php?u=10579) when we need his insight?

kikimm
06-02-2006, 10:51 PM
I've never, ever thought anything like that about myself. I know that I'm just moody.

kidney / theif
06-02-2006, 10:53 PM
I've never, ever thought anything like that about myself. I know that I'm just moody.

Same with me.

Levian
06-02-2006, 10:57 PM
Ok, you got me. I'm Batman. :(

Arcee
06-03-2006, 02:02 PM
You don't have multiple personality disorder. It's exceedingly rare, unlike its common portrayal in the media, and is more accurately termed "Dissociative Personality Disorder" in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders IV, Text Revision (DSM-IV-TR). People with this disorder are usually not aware of the other personalities, which may or may not be fully formed. The disorder also needs to cause significant socio-occupational impairment and distress to be diagnosed.

Rye
06-03-2006, 02:19 PM
Nah, I'm a pretty normal person. :p

Arcee
06-03-2006, 02:28 PM
Good for you. Less burden on the health system. :)

DeathKnight
06-03-2006, 06:01 PM
Yeah, for years I've been fighting myself on this very subject, I have two different personalities which I'd like to MIX:

-Fun loving, friendly, and somewhat bothersome in a caring way

and

-Serious, quiet, and on the elegant side.

It's VERY hard to mix those together :plotting:

Chris
06-03-2006, 06:12 PM
No. I'm normal as can be. :)

Jebus
06-03-2006, 06:15 PM
Yes, for the last few years I've been thinking of that possibility.

I have a three distinct personalities, one's fairly normal, ones abnormally logical, and a misanthrope, and the other is an emotional wreck. The only thing keeping me from getting my brain checked out is the fact that I control all of them. I just can't control when they happen.

Captain VooDoo
06-03-2006, 06:15 PM
i talk to my self,but the other self is different from my normal self.

Twilight Edge
06-03-2006, 06:20 PM
I talk to myself a lot.

And when my split surfaces I go asthma and start to beat people up and swear every vulgar word available in my mind.And then,I cry for no reason.Lucky the split ain't on EoFF.

Resha
06-03-2006, 10:48 PM
Uh, yeah, sometimes. But it's really just hormones. (I'm not supposed to realise that until I'm thirty though so you didn't hear that from me, nuh-uh.)

StarChild
06-03-2006, 10:54 PM
nope, I'm just moody and emotional all the time ^__^

Relena
06-03-2006, 10:56 PM
Yeah, for years I've been fighting myself on this very subject, I have two different personalities which I'd like to MIX:

-Fun loving, friendly, and somewhat bothersome in a caring way

and

-Serious, quiet, and on the elegant side.

It's VERY hard to mix those together :plotting:
Me too. :(

RPJesus
06-03-2006, 11:05 PM
No. Seems like it'd be a little more obvious if it were true. Does it ever come neatly? I mean, doesn't it usually come with a load of other problems? That, or it has all it's own. I thought it was a severe illness. Maybe I just don't get it.

My wife did have it. When he was younger, but he died. He came back, of course with a whole new body. That new body didn't have the disorder, so now he doesn't. He's still strange. I guess it'll have done something to him, no matter the body. He's always been, and probably going to be, a little mad. He still isn't used to the silence.
Damn, he's miserable. Maybe if I buy him a poncho...

Del Murder
06-03-2006, 11:12 PM
Saying 'sometimes I can be outgoing and fun loving' and 'sometimes I can be quiet and hateful' is not multiple personality disorder. It's bipolar disorder if anything, which it most likely isn't. People with MPD consider their personalities as separate people (if they are aware of each other at all), as separate as I am from, say, eestlinc. Ok bad example. Anyway, I highly doubt anyone here has it, exept maybe ZidaneAndGarnet or Nick Shovitz.

Madonna
06-03-2006, 11:26 PM
Ciddie for MLT to disprove other members having MPD? Del Murder!

Too easy.

Shauna
06-03-2006, 11:32 PM
Anyway, I highly doubt anyone here has it, exept maybe Nick Shovitz.

xDDD:love:

SammieBabe
06-03-2006, 11:51 PM
XDD

Do I have different sides to my personality? Yes, very much so. Do I or have I ever thought I have MPD? Hell no.
I've done some reading about it and I seriously doubt anyone who has posted actually has it...

GooeyToast
06-03-2006, 11:58 PM
No. Definetly not. Well, maybe.....yeah, possibly.....

Ouch!
06-04-2006, 12:03 AM
Not a chance in hell. I've got enough problems as it is anyway.

Dell
06-04-2006, 02:39 PM
Normally, I'm quite shy and anxious.
But sometimes, I'm upbeat, annoying, ignorant, talkative and can't close my mouth!
others are probably day-dreaming version.

Mika
06-04-2006, 05:35 PM
No. You aren't aware of having a split personality if you actually have one. it's like, you don't know the other you exists.

So you couldn't possibly know.

I don't have this, but sometimes I think I suffer from bipolarism.

Quina
06-04-2006, 06:41 PM
I don't even have one personality.

Twisted Tinkerbell
06-04-2006, 10:45 PM
Depression is enough for me. I did think I might for a while, but then I figured if I thought I might have it, I probably don't have it.It's like the whole insanity plea, if I go down for murder I'll claim I'm totally sane, then start talking to the pixie on the judge's head.

I did read about a woman once who had 7 different personalities, and they would argue with each other. There ain't no way in hell I'm taking her to see a movie.

Jojee
06-05-2006, 05:13 AM
*is reminded of the Yu Yu Haksho episodes where that guy... dies* Okay yeah, not that I watched it or anything ;_; *hides*

But that is silly ^^; I've never met anyone with multiple personality disorder and I guess I somewhat wonder about the 'validity' of it, but if not, it's very strange what the mind can conjure :3

Shiny
06-05-2006, 10:31 PM
I did read about a woman once who had 7 different personalities, and they would argue with each other. There ain't no way in hell I'm taking her to see a movie.
Sybil had 16 I'm afraid to ask what you would do to her if you'd met her (and if she was still alive).

I haven't been checking the time constantly so I think I'm alright for now.

Shlup
06-05-2006, 10:33 PM
You don't have multiple personality disorder. It's exceedingly rare, unlike its common portrayal in the media, and is more accurately termed "Dissociative Personality Disorder" in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders IV, Text Revision (DSM-IV-TR). People with this disorder are usually not aware of the other personalities, which may or may not be fully formed. The disorder also needs to cause significant socio-occupational impairment and distress to be diagnosed.
Another person with a BA in psychology in the house?

Croyles
06-06-2006, 03:36 PM
As far as im aware it IS called MPD, not DPD, and im doing an A-level in psychotherapilogicalwtf so go figure...

Arcee
06-06-2006, 05:22 PM
Wow. That's impressive.

Croyles
06-06-2006, 05:39 PM
i know ><

Behold the Void
06-06-2006, 08:19 PM
Having different facets of one personality is usually the sign of being a normal, not-two-dimensional human. It's perfectly normal to respond to certain situations in certain ways, and it certainly doesn't mean you have multiple personality disorder.

And on that vein, isn't there speculation that no such disorder exists, and it's simply the construct of incompetent/uninformed psychatric diagnostics and treatment?

StarChild
06-06-2006, 09:14 PM
And on that vein, isn't there speculation that no such disorder exists, and it's simply the construct of incompetent/uninformed psychatric diagnostics and treatment?

I've heard of that actually, I would say to do more research on it, because I've heard that it doesn't exist at all, to the possibilty that it exists to that yes it does.

Arcee
06-07-2006, 05:47 PM
i know ><

I was being sarcastic.

Beyond the Void is very correct. The existence of Dissociative Personality Disorder is in question. Some psychiatrists state that it exists and will diagnose people with it, others will not and most likely opt for an alternative diagnosis, such as Dissociative Disorder Not Otherwise Specified or Personality Disorder Not Otherwise Specified. In many instances, borderline personality traits can also play a part in the diagnosis. However, given that the condition is rare, it may be possible that some psychiatrists do not diagnose it, simply because they are not familar or comfortable using that diagnosis.

And we do have varying affective states or moods, which alter in response to internal and external stimuli. A wide range of moods is integral to normal human emotion and behaviour. It does not impinge upon personality, which is fixed and pervasive throughout time.