PDA

View Full Version : Videogames Pwn Movies

DeathKnight
06-03-2006, 07:32 PM
Videogames Pwn Movies
A new study reports that videogames are getting more popular all the time.
by Kathleen Sanders
June 2, 2006 - Most any IGN reader knows that these new-fangled videogame tapes aren't the anti-female, gore-filled playthings of violence-obsessed social pariahs most senators would have the world believe. Now there is science to back you up.

Frank Alpert, a Professor of Marketing at Griffith University in Queensland, Australia, has just released the findings of his study on videogames, titled Entertainment Software: Suddenly Huge, Little Understood.

"It's only been around for about 25 years yet the entertainment software industry now outsells the movie box office," Alpert said.

According to the study videogame sales would outstrip CD sales in a few years time, mainly due to the increasing popularity of downloading music from the Internet.

His studies found that the average age of a game player was 33 and that women comprised 38% of players.

Action games are still the best-selling genre, but the most successful game brand of all time is Will Wrights' peaceful, virtual people series The Sims. According to Alpert the series popular is because there is no violence. "It's a far broader audience because it's about human relationships."

Despite the massive popularity of videogames, Alpert is aware of the need for literature and knowledge about this young but rapidly growing industry. "A lot of older people didn't grow up with it, don't play it and don't understand it. A lot of a younger people aren't yet in a position to write about it."

Prof Alpert plans to approach the Queensland government in an attempt to secure funding for further research into the videogame industry.
Source: http://wii.ign.com/articles/711/711125p1.html

darkchrono
06-03-2006, 07:42 PM
Instead of living out fantasies of shooting the game winning shot or slaying the dragon by going to play games outside. Kids are now fulfilling those fantasies they have by playing a game in the comfortable setting of their own living room.

Kids aren't burning off all that Mcdonalds that they ate anymore.

DeathKnight
06-03-2006, 07:44 PM
Instead of living out fantasies by going to play games outside kids are now fulfilling those fantasies they have by playing a game where they can actually take part in the action on screen.

Kids aren't burning off all that Mcdonalds that they ate anymore.

Kids SHOULD NOT eat McDonalds, THAT"s the problem.

And I rather have kids/teenagers/and adults playing v-games than smoking crack, using drugs, and joining gangs. Sooooooooooo WHICH is better??? :meditate: you tell me

And better than wasting money on stupid movies.

Old Manus
06-03-2006, 07:45 PM
Terrorists Win.

Venom
06-03-2006, 07:50 PM
I'd much rather see a movie than play most video games I guess.

~SapphireStar~
06-03-2006, 08:19 PM
Terrorists Win.
I wanna kill you so bad.
Games are good to play when you need to release anger.

Madame Adequate
06-03-2006, 08:21 PM
Terrorists Win.

No. No sir, you win.

Roto13
06-03-2006, 08:26 PM
Video games are better than movies, fast food, drugs, and terrorism combined. Sucka.

~SapphireStar~
06-03-2006, 08:32 PM
Plus with games, the pause button is a diamond! So much better then missing out something important in a film!

darkchrono
06-03-2006, 09:00 PM
I think you took this thread off the deep-end deathknight.

Why just because it was commented on that playing sports or other games outside is physically healthier than playing those same games on a video game system you had to bring drugs and gangs into the picture.

If you have to go that far in order to support playing video games they must not be that good for the youth of the country.

~SapphireStar~
06-03-2006, 09:04 PM
He was saying he would rather children play games then go and join gangs and get involved in crime and drugs. People see games as a waste of time, but in a way its better then them going to find entertainment elsewhere, eg getting high or stealing cars for a buzz.

darkchrono
06-03-2006, 09:19 PM
And like I said if he has to go that far in order to support the video games than there must not be a whole lot good about them.

Strider
06-03-2006, 09:29 PM
This doesn't surprise me at all, given the nature of interaction in video games combined with the unpleasant developments in moviegoing (commercials, lack of originality, etc.). It's no secret that less people have been going to the movies, as well as the fact that the kind of people who play video games is much broader than most people would believe.

Also, darkchrono, you're making some questionable broad assumptions. I'd be careful with that.

darkchrono
06-03-2006, 09:37 PM
What? Exactly which broad assumptions have I made? The only thing I have stated up to this point is that it is physically healthier to go outside and play hoops in your driveway all day long than it is to stay inside and play a basketball game on your ps2 all day long.

And questioned deathknight in why just because I first stated that that he had to go ahead and bring drugs and gangs into the picture.

Dreddz
06-03-2006, 09:58 PM
Cool, didnt know how popular gaming really was.

MecaKane
06-03-2006, 10:41 PM
And like I said if he has to go that far in order to support the video games than there must not be a whole lot good about them.
No, it means he's not that smart.
But you also had no basis for bringing up fast food or even if they were "good" for the youth. The article mentioned that the average gamer was 33, and was about games selling more than movies, something else that doesn't burn off any fast food. It doesn't matter if a kid stays in to watch all 5 or whatever Loin King movies or plays Kingdom Hearts he's still going to be indoors sitting around.

P.S. Movies are still a better source of entertainment. <3

Erdrick Holmes
06-03-2006, 10:58 PM
Movies these days blow, so seeing a more interactive form of entertainment gradually get more popular is no surprise to me.

darkchrono
06-03-2006, 11:21 PM
The rise in video game sales doesn't have a thing to do with the quality of movies made these days. The only thing that the guy related to movies in that article was how much money they are each making.

And actually I did have a basis for the 'mcdonalds' comment I made.

Because the reason that video games have become so popular is because they offer an easier way for young people (including young adults) to play out all those dreams that they have always had.

Before video games came of age most young people went outside to play ball in the neighborhood with their friends and fantasized about being Michael Jordan and winning the game winning shot (or other similar fantasies to that one). But now with the gaming systems they have young people don't have to go to that much trouble. All they have to do now in order to live out those fantasies is pop in a cd into a gaming system and actually play the entire game as Michael Jordon on their very own t.v. screen.

The popularity of video games has a very direct link to the reason why kids played outside all the time in the past. And how they got the exercise that many do not get anymore.

Elite Lord Sigma
06-04-2006, 01:19 AM
darkchrono, you're making some very stupid and boneheaded assumptions about video games. Not every person that games is inactive, you know.

Renmiri
06-04-2006, 02:02 AM
As a mom I much prefer that my kids play video games than watch TV, if you chose each game they play with care, let me tell you why.

First, the ratings WORK on video games, Rated PG games have no sex, no violence, period. I've had a lot of bad surprises with TV movies rated PG.

Then there are NO commercials in video games. No one is selling barbie stuff and junk food like candy to your kid.

Plus video games are interactive, they require thought, action, perseverance.. Not passive couch potato stuff at all!

Also, my 5 year old needs a bit of small motor skill practice, so VG controls give him that without putting playdough on my carpet or letting him cut daddy's work magazines. VGs also give excellent hand/eye coordination to my pups and prepare them to be good at computers.

VGs are the only place I can be sure about what they are watching. All the other kid shows have girls and boys having crushes for each other, violence, bullies, etc.. On VG the bullies get what they deserve.

My kids and I can follow stories, it's be fun to "take trips to Spira" or to Yoshi's island as a family or on a "mom & kids adventure" and we don't spend a cent on trinkets, nor they get ink, paint and processed fat to eat as they would at McD.

After my kids grew out of Barney and Teletubbies, the PBS stuff just doesn't cut it for them, but I can still have them learn to share, help each other and be friendly and all that stuff that parents want to teach their kids, if I chose carefully what VG they play.

Those are just my thoughts anyway... Suffice it to say, me, hubby and my kids have lots of fun with Video Games!

Peter_20
06-04-2006, 02:26 AM
I play video games 4 hours a day; I watch movies 4 times a month. :D

DeathKnight
06-04-2006, 03:24 PM
darkchrono, you're making some very stupid and boneheaded assumptions about video games. Not every person that games is inactive, you know.

Quoted for truth.

I'm FAR from being overweight and I do get my share of a workout so I don't know what that guy's talking 'bout. Just because parents these days don't know what to FEED their kids and how much physical activities they give their kids doesn't mean that everyone's like that. Hell the study said "the average gamer is 33 years old" so they should be smart enough to manage their time.

Spammerman
06-04-2006, 03:57 PM
As a mom I much prefer that my kids play video games than watch TV, if you chose each game they play with care, let me tell you why.

First, the ratings WORK on video games, Rated PG games have no sex, no violence, period. I've had a lot of bad surprises with TV movies rated PG.

Then there are NO commercials in video games. No one is selling barbie stuff and junk food like candy to your kid.

Plus video games are interactive, they require thought, action, perseverance.. Not passive couch potato stuff at all!

Also, my 5 year old needs a bit of small motor skill practice, so VG controls give him that without putting playdough on my carpet or letting him cut daddy's work magazines. VGs also give excellent hand/eye coordination to my pups and prepare them to be good at computers.

VGs are the only place I can be sure about what they are watching. All the other kid shows have girls and boys having crushes for each other, violence, bullies, etc.. On VG the bullies get what they deserve.

My kids and I can follow stories, it's be fun to "take trips to Spira" or to Yoshi's island as a family or on a "mom & kids adventure" and we don't spend a cent on trinkets, nor they get ink, paint and processed fat to eat as they would at McD.

After my kids grew out of Barney and Teletubbies, the PBS stuff just doesn't cut it for them, but I can still have them learn to share, help each other and be friendly and all that stuff that parents want to teach their kids, if I chose carefully what VG they play.

Those are just my thoughts anyway... Suffice it to say, me, hubby and my kids have lots of fun with Video Games!
yopure the coolest mom ever

Shiny
06-04-2006, 09:22 PM
Video games are better than movies, fast food, drugs, and terrorism combined. Sucka.
Drugs? I've never had them. :shifty: But terrorism, movies and video-games seem like a pleasant combination. :eyebrow:

Renmiri
06-04-2006, 10:55 PM
yopure the coolest mom ever

Thanks!! So far my kids agree with you, hopefully they will still do so when they are older :love:

I thought I was pretty unique but lately I have been finding a lot of parents who play VGs and some of them include their kids in the fun like I do :D

Gau Dude
06-05-2006, 12:13 AM
And I rather have kids/teenagers/and adults playing v-games than smoking crack, using drugs, and joining gangs. Sooooooooooo WHICH is better??? :meditate: you tell me.

You're sick.

~SapphireStar~
06-05-2006, 12:30 AM
Why is he sick? Its the truth IMO. Kids nowadays want to show off and act cool, so they join gangs, take drugs, steal cars, etc. Im not saying all kids are like that, but I would rather my own kids spend time playing computer games, then out on the street with possibly bad people. Its happened in my family, my cousin has gone off the rails and now has an ASBO. My brother no longer hangs out with him or his old friends and plays computer games or plays football in the backgarden.

FallenAngel411
06-05-2006, 01:31 AM
I exercise regularly, play videogames, and have a life at the same time. Its pretty easy, actually. Anything in extreme excess, whether videogames or yes, even exercise, will eventually have a detrimental effect on a person. Duh.

NINJA_Ryu
06-05-2006, 06:07 AM
Kids SHOULD NOT eat McDonalds, THAT"s the problem.

And better than wasting money on stupid movies.

but but but.......then we teenagers have no social life with our respective girl/boyfriends! Going out to the movies is some great fun, sadly not availabile with video games. (but at least my gf likes games too, and im not insulting vg here...)

Markus. D
06-05-2006, 12:32 PM
Meh.........

Movies and games have there goods and bads...

Twilight Edge
06-05-2006, 12:56 PM
Vidoegames-everyday.

Movies-Once in a blue moon unless it's a Japanese anime or Harry Potter.I'd swear I'd go catch the premeir.No kidding,I actually made sure I got to see the premeir of Harry Potter(Prisoner of Azkaban and Goblet of Fire,I watched the first teo on vcd,and now I regret it) and also made sure that I saw the first screening.

Gau Dude
06-05-2006, 10:07 PM
Why is he sick? Its the truth IMO. Kids nowadays want to show off and act cool, so they join gangs, take drugs, steal cars, etc. Im not saying all kids are like that, but I would rather my own kids spend time playing computer games, then out on the street with possibly bad people. Its happened in my family, my cousin has gone off the rails and now has an ASBO. My brother no longer hangs out with him or his old friends and plays computer games or plays football in the backgarden.

Oh, you're right. I misplace "than" with "then"...
Yet, movies aren't bad at all. They are at the same level as VG.

~SapphireStar~
06-05-2006, 11:22 PM
What are you talking about? You said:

You're sick.
Wheres then or than come into that?

Renmiri
06-06-2006, 05:52 PM
play Videogames THEN shoot people in gangs = doing both, one after the other

play Videogames THAN shoot people in gangs = playing VG INSTEAD of shootig people in gangs

An error only non-native English speakers would commit, I used to do it often ;)

Gau Dude
06-06-2006, 11:25 PM
No, really, I knew that. Only I missed it.

Gnostic Yevon
06-07-2006, 01:37 PM

Barbie Horse Adventure *is* a commercial for well Barbies and horses.

Video games are a mixed bag. On the one hand, they're good and have a lot of potential to get people thinking about things, but then they can cause problems too.

Video games are much better at giving you an immersive experience. A WW2 movie might show you images of WW2, and maybe give you a story about some person in WW2. A game puts you right in the middle of it, and done right, can give you a taste of what the real thing must have been like. It can show how someone might have made a bad decision etc. in a more immersive way. The reason that games are more immersive for me is that I made the decision to do something, and then see the consequences. I.e FFX, you play the part of Yuna (well among others) and therefore, in a sense when you discover the (spoilery) nature of her mission, it has more impact because you put her in the situation. The ending as well has more impact because I'm doing the final deed. Had the same thing been done in a movie, it loses some impact because I'm not doing the deed, some actor is playing the role of someone doing the deed. You're distant, or at least more distant from the thoughts leading to the actions as well as the results of the action. So it has a lot of storytelling power, and a lot of power to show what it's like to be someone or to do something.

On the other hand, games have a nasty habit of keeping a person indoors in a seated position. Then kids don't play outside and learn to play pick-up soccer or baseball, build forts out of cardboard in the backyard, etc. Besides that, it can be somewhat isolating. Rather than playing with neighborhood chums, they play by themselves. Online might help with that a little, but it's still not a replacement for face-time. And it can interfere with studies.

Renmiri
06-07-2006, 08:54 PM
Barbie Horse Adventure *is* a commercial for well Barbies and horses.
Aye but note that I say I select carefully the VG my kids and I play.

Video games are much better at giving you an immersive experience.. done right, can give you a taste of what the real thing must have been like. ..it has a lot of storytelling power, and a lot of power to show what it's like to be someone or to do something.
And of things you and I will never experience such as being a merman under the sea or a living rock eater (Zelda Majora's Mask)
or a dinossaur...[/QUOTE]

On the other hand, games have a nasty habit of keeping a person indoors in a seated position. Then kids don't play outside and learn to play pick-up soccer or baseball, build forts out of cardboard in the backyard, etc. Besides that, it can be somewhat isolating. Rather than playing with neighborhood chums, they play by themselves. Online might help with that a little, but it's still not a replacement for face-time. And it can interfere with studies.
Well here in Chicago we have snow and bitter cold at least 5 months of the year so indoors is not that bad ;) I actually need stuff to get them entertained and stem off cabin fever and a stroll through Besaid while is 40F (- 40C too!) below outside is perfect!

And at least my kids never stop jumping around, so I don't worry about them not exercising... Perhaps when they get older I will, right now they are constantly in movement...

And the neighbors kids join us in our adventures sometimes, or my kids play at their house.

You are correct, attention to what game they play and to how active they are during the day is important. But even in that aspect I would much rather see they play a VG than to see them veg out in front of a tV.