PDA

View Full Version : I want to learn German (:D?)

tan
06-04-2006, 06:20 AM
Well, I'm taking a German class next year, but I really want to get some of the basic concepts down, and hopefully a lot of vocabulary, so I'm going to try and independently learn as much of it as I can this summer (what a geek I am lol). I wanted to know, for those of you who either already learned German or used some kind of German book, CD, etc. to learn it, could you give me advice on the language (pointers, things to look out for, nothing specific, really)? Also, for those of you who used a really good system to teach yourself German independently, could you give me advice on which products to buy for it? Thanks! :D

P.S. Not to be rude, but this forum isn't about how much you hate the German language or how boring it is, I just want advice and not your opinon on the language unless it's somehow relevant to the topic =P

Reine
06-04-2006, 07:06 AM
I think my friend knows german..its an interesting language.

Theres quite a few German teaching PC programs, but theyre rather wierd from what ive seen of the language teaching programs. Learning a language is very time consuming and not that easy.

BTW, Norwegian > German

Rengori
06-04-2006, 07:09 AM
In all honesty, a Final Fantasy internet forum isn't the best place to learn a new language.

YTDN
06-04-2006, 08:29 AM
Ich heisse Yuffie, Ich bin dreizehn Jahre alt, meine leiblingshobby ist tennis.

(I am called Yuffie, I am 13 years old, my favourite hobby is tennis)

I do German at school, and I'm done my second year, so I can help you if you want.

Fantasy Fan
06-04-2006, 11:46 AM
Ich habe Deutsch klassen auch!

Dreddz
06-04-2006, 12:02 PM
Ive done German for 3 years in school. Not a very intresting language, but pretty easy compared to other languages.

Spatvark
06-04-2006, 12:25 PM
Tan, ich möchte Sie im Kopf schießen und Ihre Leiche rauben. Übersetzen Sie das, Hahndirne.

YTDN
06-04-2006, 12:26 PM
Tan, ich möchte Sie im Kopf schießen und Ihre Leiche rauben. Übersetzen Sie das, Hahndirne.

Was ist das?

Mitch
06-04-2006, 12:44 PM
Vous et les chats

YTDN
06-04-2006, 12:51 PM
Vous et les chats

Nein! Sprechen sie Deutsch, nicht frankreich.

McLovin'
06-04-2006, 12:52 PM
Why is German used so often on this forum?

Dreddz
06-04-2006, 12:56 PM
Why is German used so often on this forum?
Because its the language of love.

starseeker
06-04-2006, 03:58 PM
That's French.

Dreddz
06-04-2006, 04:09 PM
That's French.
Sure it is.

Levian
06-04-2006, 04:22 PM

Mein Kopf es hat drei ecken. Drei ecken hat mein kopf. Und schiesst du mich im Kopf, dann hat es nicht drei ecken. :(
Zu "rauben" Tan's Leiche wollen gerade geben dich Herpes.

Resha
06-04-2006, 04:24 PM
And everyone starts speaking German again. And everyone else starts wonder..*wundering what the hell is going on again. It'll go on for a few pages of German and then kikimm or Psy will say something in German and close the thread. :D

Wunderbar, amigos! Wunderbar!

Roto13
06-04-2006, 04:26 PM
I heard it's one of the easiest languages to learn, so you should be ok. :)

My French instructor always told us to watch movies and listen to music in French. Maybe you should do the same in German. Hook up with some Rammstein or something.

nik0tine
06-04-2006, 05:56 PM
Good luck learning anything at Basha.

Edit: You could listen to alot of Bach chorals. You should probably do that anyway, though.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
06-04-2006, 07:26 PM
Hallo. Deutch ist spass. Ist Sie affegiel? Nein? Affegiel ist nicht gut.

Zeldy
06-04-2006, 07:36 PM
I think German is such an ugly language, and French is too.

I would have to choose the hardest language to learn, that is Finnish.
Its one of the most wierdest looking languages and is said to be the hardest to learn as its so unique

Hayabusa
06-04-2006, 08:01 PM
German is rockin' I was failing and hated it and then my master taught me- I came from 55% to the top of my class taking the german award with me from graduation -

LEARN WORD ORDER ok? WORD ORDER. And learn English Clauses and tenses as well. :) - When you learn vocab- Write sentences! :) Hope you learn it well! It's fun!

Dr Unne
06-04-2006, 08:05 PM
German is a great language. I studied it in my spare time in elementary school. I remember very little. Let's see. Nouns are capitalized. Nouns have gender, similar to Latin. Also similar to Latin, German nouns have declension. There's a letter that looks like a curvy capital B, which is actually a double-S.

Learning a language in general is actually learning four different things. Reading, writing, listening, and speaking. I find that they vary in difficulty in that order, with reading being easiest and speaking being hardest. Reading and writing can be learned to some degree in your spare time, but be prepared to have to re-learn a lot once you actually start speaking it.

Badge
06-04-2006, 08:12 PM
German is fun unless you have a teacher nicknamed the Brydinator.With her Deutsch is annoying. I've finished all my german exams and i've been predicted A so if you need any help you know where to find me.

Vava
06-04-2006, 10:46 PM
Hallo.
Ich bin Vanessa und komme aus Deutschland.
Braucht jemand Hilfe beim Deutsch lernen? Ich stelle mich euch gerne zur Verfügung.

Need help? I'm German I could help a little bit :)

Shoden
06-04-2006, 11:25 PM
Unlike french the words aren't jumbled, they're the same order as english, just translated. Or so I hear.

Roogle
06-05-2006, 12:15 AM

I don't think he'll get it.

I Took the Red Pill
06-05-2006, 01:07 AM
Aleman es la lingua del alcoholicos. Español para el triunfo.

kikimm
06-05-2006, 01:30 AM
Unlike french the words aren't jumbled, they're the same order as english, just translated. Or so I hear.

No no no, they aren't in the same order at all. Once in awhile you get a sentence that is, but for the most part, nope. And that's what makes speaking it so hard, for me. You have to be constantly thinking of word order. It'd be a good thing to keep in mind that the verb in the sentence will always be in the second position! Or at least, it will be for the first couple years of you learning it. Then it gets all complicated with relative pronouns and the genitive and blah blah.

A lot of the words are very similar to English, and guessing works well with German so :D

There is this video series that was made....many years ago that's great, but I can't remember the name of it at the moment. I'll go hunting.

Dignified Pauper
06-05-2006, 02:30 AM
i highly encourage learning german. It's not tooo difficult, until you get into the 16 different verb tenses and ways to conjugate. Sentence structure can be difficult at first when you get into future tense. Um... but once you learn it, you learn it for good and it is pretty simply, JA!

tan
06-05-2006, 06:30 AM
In all honesty, a Final Fantasy internet forum isn't the best place to learn a new language.

I'm not looking for someone to teach me the German language, I'm just looking for tips and things.

Zu "rauben" Tan's Leiche wollen gerade geben dich Herpes.

I should've put this in EoEO.

...I should've expected something like this from you. Jesus.

Croyles
06-05-2006, 10:29 AM
Since im probably the ONLY (smugness German person in the entire EoFF forum, maybe I can help you out with a few things :thumb:

Ja ja ihr sagt alle das Deutsch keine interresante sprache ist aber ihr seid ja alle gleich. Für die jenigen die English sprechen haben es super leicht weil es eine viel einfachere sprache ist, und fast die ganze welt sprecht English :p
Also, wie schon gesagt, Deutsch kann ziemlich schwer sein, wegen der ganzen komplikation der grammatik, wo ich schon sicher selber mehrere fehler in dieser nachricht gemacht habe. Sogar viele Deutsche können die muttersprache nicht so gut handeln wie mansche leute denken!

Yes I know that was a bit much. Gives you something to read and figure out though! :D
Anyway, just ask if you need any help for anything more specific! :)
Learn German the stupid way: http://www.early-advantage.co.uk/

Del Murder
06-06-2006, 03:36 AM
Please don't make fun of people in another language. That goes for everyone.

Croyles
06-06-2006, 02:57 PM
Sorry, it was meant to be light-hearted.

Shoden
06-06-2006, 03:46 PM

No no no, they aren't in the same order at all. Once in awhile you get a sentence that is, but for the most part, nope. And that's what makes speaking it so hard, for me. You have to be constantly thinking of word order. It'd be a good thing to keep in mind that the verb in the sentence will always be in the second position! Or at least, it will be for the first couple years of you learning it. Then it gets all complicated with relative pronouns and the genitive and blah blah.

A lot of the words are very similar to English, and guessing works well with German so :D

There is this video series that was made....many years ago that's great, but I can't remember the name of it at the moment. I'll go hunting.

compare the amounts of mixed german sentences and mixed french sentences and you'll see uber difference.

German > French in simplicity. It's easier to guess and be accurate for german words. I was forced to learn french and I hate the language a hell of alot now.

tan
06-06-2006, 11:37 PM

compare the amounts of mixed german sentences and mixed french sentences and you'll see uber difference.

German > French in simplicity. It's easier to guess and be accurate for german words. I was forced to learn french and I hate the language a hell of alot now.

Just because you hate French doesn't make the sentences jumbled. If you actually understood French, you would know that the sentences all have English's order, besides adjectives (which isn't hard, really) and a few other things that are in advanced French.

Anyways, I bought a couple German books (well, books to teach yourself German) and looking over them I don't think German is too complicated, or at least, I hope not.

Laguna
06-06-2006, 11:43 PM
Im not really very good with foreign languages. I managed to get an A grade in GCSE French (twas a cold day in heck). But the only German I know is "I don't understand!" XD

Shoden
06-06-2006, 11:44 PM
It's true actually you get stuff like "The toilet of man of germany" and stuff.

In German that happens alot less and it's alot more of an easy language, and useful. What use is stuff like Dutch and Eskimo?

Croyles
06-07-2006, 12:45 AM
Just because you hate French doesn't make the sentences jumbled. If you actually understood French, you would know that the sentences all have English's order, besides adjectives (which isn't hard, really) and a few other things that are in advanced French.

Anyways, I bought a couple German books (well, books to teach yourself German) and looking over them I don't think German is too complicated, or at least, I hope not.

You'll hate it within a week.