PDA

View Full Version : Makeup for Guys.

Chris
06-04-2006, 04:49 PM
What are your thoughts on this matter? I mean, there a lots of products for men these days, so I don't see a problem with makeup on guys. Personally, I only wear a light Foundation on my face. I have some questions, I need some answers:

• Is it normal that my foundation fades, and become shiny at the end of the day? *Shiny face*

• How much Foundation should I normally use? A handful or what?

• I use the Max Factor for Men Foundation. What do you recommend?

Twisted Tinkerbell
06-04-2006, 04:56 PM
I have guy friends that are better at putting make up on than me, then again I was friends with a guy that looked better in a dress than me.

Foundation fading is pretty normal, I don't wear it often cause I hate having to constantly re apply it.

Use as much as you need I guess, thats what I do.

Can't really reccommend any.

Ki Ki
06-04-2006, 05:01 PM
Well I prefer no make-up on a guy but foundation is fine. It's only when they start getting all lip-glossy and blushy. That is when I am scared!

o It's perfectly normal for your foundation to fade! Because during the day you're bound to sweat and stuff like that! I know when I use foundation it's always gone at the end of the day.
I guess the best thing to do is touch up if you can! :D

o Well ... I think less is more! I only use foundation to cover blemishes and things like that so a handful is a bit much since I'm not actually covering my whole face! Plus if you use too much it looks really unnatural. >:

o I do not know an answer to this one! n____n;

Rusty
06-04-2006, 05:03 PM
I don't think it's normal for guys to wear make-up. You only need a small amount of foundation. I recommend Covergirl True match. Apparently it's really good. I use liquid to powder foundation at the moment.

Chris
06-04-2006, 05:04 PM
Well I prefer no make-up on a guy but foundation is fine. It's only when they start getting all lip-glossy and blushy. That is when I am scared!
I agree with that. I would never wear anything but a light Foundation to cover up the... bad parts of my face. xD

Roto13
06-04-2006, 05:15 PM

Probably none.

Spiffing Cheese
06-04-2006, 05:18 PM
I don't have a problem with dudes wearing make-up. Why should it be restricted to girls? Girls are allowed to wear stuff that was originally intended to be for guys.

Chris
06-04-2006, 05:26 PM
I don't have a problem with dudes wearing make-up. Why should it be restricted to girls? Girls are allowed to wear stuff that was originally intended to be for guys.
I agree. People think it's perfectly acceptable for "movie" stars to wear it, but when a normal guy wears it, he's feminine. Come on! Rock stars wear black eyeliner, and that's okay? ><

Roto13
06-04-2006, 05:29 PM
I agree. People think it's perfectly acceptable for "movie" stars to wear it, but when a normal guy wears it, he's feminine. Come on! Rock stars wear black eyeliner, and that's okay? ><
Men is makeup is "ok" because it's harmless. It's still a pretty feminine thing to wear. Like a girl in a baseball cap and baggy jeans is considered a tomboy.

Zeldy
06-04-2006, 06:27 PM
I love it when guys wear Makeup. Lauri wears eyeshadow and eyeliner and he looks hawt.

Wear whatever you feel comfortable with Chris. I use the EXTRA FAIR foundation as Im so pale, but it works for me so I stick to it.

Its natural that your foundation will fade, mine does, but I don't bring my makeup to school. Maybe you should try concealor? It covers up blemishes and under eye bags and keeps to a natural look.

Captain Maxx Power
06-04-2006, 07:47 PM
I abhore the use of make-up on men, with the exception of one man;

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/00/Hottest.jpg/300px-Hottest.jpg

It's easy to see why the rule wouldn't apply. Keep it Piratey.

escobert
06-04-2006, 07:51 PM
If YOU want to wear makeup, go for it. I ain't wearin none.

Spiffing Cheese
06-04-2006, 07:51 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/00/Hottest.jpg/300px-Hottest.jpg

:love: :love: :love:

Hayabusa
06-04-2006, 07:57 PM
There's nothing wrong with it at all - nothing wrong with lookin pretty- as long as your rockin' it! :)

Levian
06-04-2006, 08:01 PM
Lotions and foundations would just make my beard sticky.

escobert
06-04-2006, 08:03 PM
And such a sexy beard you have!

RPJesus
06-04-2006, 08:58 PM
Make-up is either obnoxious and shallow no matter who it's on, or it's not.
I love my Marilyn (he brings me cakes!)

~SapphireStar~
06-04-2006, 09:02 PM
Man what a stud! Yeah guys can wear make up, but I got freaked out when my ex wore mascara. I was only young and he shown no interest in wearing it before so it came as a shock to me.

Jaffar
06-04-2006, 09:03 PM
Makeup? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA surly there is no fault for a man to wear makeup if not then to look all the more tender for his fellow men Hahahaha

But truly Jaffar has been known to wear black Kasib around his eyes if not to charm the woman of the southern dunes of tarrebssa valley then for what my friends HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Rye
06-04-2006, 10:16 PM
Makeup? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA surly there is no fault for a man to wear makeup if not then to look all the more tender for his fellow men Hahahaha

But truly Jaffar has been known to wear black Kasib around his eyes if not to charm the woman of the southern dunes of tarrebssa valley then for what my friends HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I agree Jaffar! It's nice that you are so openminded. I think make up can be okay on guys too. Eyeliner on Johnny Depp = love. :)

Madame Adequate
06-05-2006, 12:02 AM
I can't speak with any knowledge on the use and application of makeup, but restricting it to females is right up there with only letting men wear pants.

I Took the Red Pill
06-05-2006, 12:26 AM

Roto13
06-05-2006, 12:38 AM
A man wearing makeup leaves me with the same impression as a man wearing a dress.

Shlup
06-05-2006, 12:59 AM
Eh, why not? I know several guys who enjoy a smidge of makeup, mostly eyeliner though.
• Is it normal that my foundation fades, and become shiny at the end of the day? *Shiny face*
Yup. It rubs off, sweats off, absorbes the oils of your skin. It helps if you set it by lightly brushing lose powder over it and/or spray your face with "Model in the Bottle."

I use a dollop on my fingertip. A handful is way too much.

• I use the Max Factor for Men Foundation. What do you recommend?
Max Factor is generally considered the good stuff, so if you can dish out the cash then go for it.

Anaisa
06-05-2006, 01:07 AM
I hate foundation. I think it's a better idea to spend your money on making your skin look good enough that it doesn't need to be covered up with foundation.

ShunNakamura
06-05-2006, 01:38 AM
I don't know.. I view makeup the same on men as on women. If I can tell you are wearing it it is too much. If I can't tell then good for you.

This is exempting when you use makeup for an effect. Then seeing it is fine as long as the effect you want is being acheived such as using makeup to make you look like one of the living dead for halloween or something.

As for me I won't use it(or let those who do get too close to me physically), but that is cause I am allergic to no ends. That stuff and perfume(and colongne for that matter) can come close to putting me out cold for several hours in even smaller doses. Though I am not sure if makeup 'rubs off' enough(I like to roughhouse when I am with freinds so physical contact will occur) to effect me I would rather not risk it.

FallenAngel411
06-05-2006, 01:59 AM
If done right, makeup on guys can look great. Personally, I find a little eyeliner to make the eyes bigger and darker DEAD SEXY :3

fire_of_avalon
06-05-2006, 02:02 AM
Shluppy Puppy knows the score. Also, if you're going to wear any type of make up remember to clean your face at the end of your day, or your pores get all cloggy and worse than before. Using a mild toner wouldn't hurt either, just to make sure you get it all off.

But make sure you use products designed for your skin. Since I'm assuming you shave, you should probably use make up for sensitive skin types, because make up can irritate razor burn.

Dignified Pauper
06-05-2006, 02:14 AM
<!--are you a fag? Only fags wear make-up. Period. Or guys on stage... This thread depresses me.

if you're not gay
When did metrosexuality turn into being a blatant flamer?-->
You can do better than that. -- foa

Listen, Phoa, don't you dare edit my post.
fine, i'll be nicer..

YOUR GAY !!! LOLZ

But seriously, when did metrosexuality turn into being a flamer? In all seriousness, boys shouldn't wear make-up simply because it makes them look feminine. Maybe I'm just an old fashioned gay boy, but I believe everyone who likes males physically, likes them for who they are.

The Triumphant Hero
06-05-2006, 02:17 AM
I don't like makeup on anybody. It takes too long for people to put on and there is very little to no improvement.

Madame Adequate
06-05-2006, 03:36 AM
But seriously, when did metrosexuality turn into being a flamer? In all seriousness, boys shouldn't wear make-up simply because it makes them look feminine. Maybe I'm just an old fashioned gay boy, but I believe everyone who likes males physically, likes them for who they are.

Okay, are you some kind of deep-cover troll or something? After all the BS gay people have had to put up with, now you're coming along and saying "Don't look feminine!"?

I laugh at you, and thank you for showing me that just because someone's part of a group that's been mistreated by society, there is absolutely no guarantee that they'll act any better.

And finally, your tastes are very far from universal.

Miriel
06-05-2006, 04:23 AM
Stop with the personal jabs, alrighty everyone?

And for everyone saying that men shouldn't wear makeup, some might argue that Nixon's refusal to wear any makeup during his first television broadcast of the Presidential debate between him and Kennedy cost him the election. So basically, if you don't wear makeup, you won't become president.

Yamaneko
06-05-2006, 04:27 AM
I'll be the first President in sixty years to run on a "no makeup" platform.

Dr Unne
06-05-2006, 04:44 AM
Don't you have to wear makeup so you look better on camera? I assumed you have to wear makeup just so you look normal on TV. *says nothing about the fact that people would vote using such things to decide*

I find men who look like women to be disturbing. "Look like women" is not rigorously defined, but makeup is a good start. Saying I don't like makeup on men is the same as saying I don't like any other feature. It doesn't mean everyone has to stop having that feature. It means if you do have that feature, I will think you look ugly. I can't see why anyone would care about what other people think looks ugly, unless you plan on dating them.

Jojee
06-05-2006, 04:59 AM
I was just talking to someone about this the other day! :</>D I won't find it weird if men wear certain makeup, like concealer.. I mean, they have a right to hide their zits as much as we do ;] But hmm like lipstick, I duuunno, it'd be pretty iffy.. I don't even wear lipstick myself, and kissing a guy wearing it... hehehee :</>D

Anyway what exactly is foundation supposed to do? Cos' I'm really not a huge expert on makeup. I do concealer for zits and under eye shadows although I haven't really found my perfect shade yet, and I'll do a few eye things (mmm no eyeshadow though) thing but that's about it :3 Oh and lipgloss, that is pretty yummy ^-^

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
06-05-2006, 06:19 AM
im going to sound like a complete idiot but...

what the hell is foundation?

as for me i just use lotion around my face cause i got a problem with dry skin...especially around winter! As for guys wearing makeup...hmm i dont really care unless its really noticable but even with that i dont care if its someone i dont know!

Markus. D
06-05-2006, 07:05 AM
if I could get up the guts to wear it.

*conseals blemishes*

ps: Your face maybe gets irritated and aggros the Oil gland thingsomos...

Sefie1999AD
06-05-2006, 04:04 PM
I wouldn't normally use makeup, unless it's some special event that requires special looks, such as a costume party, acting on a theater etc. Oh yeah, and when I was a kid and we went to do the equivalent of trick-or-treat (except we do it in the Easter), we were having makeup on. However, if guys want to use makeup, then a little bit of it is alright, I guess, though I wouldn't like the sight of some guy's makeup being totally overdone.

Haha, for some reason I was thinking about Johnny Depp when I started to browse this thread. :D

Jess
06-05-2006, 04:21 PM
If you use some powder over the top of your foundation it stops it fading as much. ^___^ Personally I mainly use Maybellene Dream Matte Mousse which is brilliant stuff and feels really nice on your skin but otherwise I sometimes use Rimmel London Recover (with Vitamins C & E) or Rimmel London Lasting Finish.

Personally I prefer guys without makeup. Fair enough if guys want to wear a bit of eyeliner or foundation but as far as I'm concerned guys look better without makeup. I'm glad my boyfriend doesn't wear makeup - I probably wouldn't find him as attractive. :jess:

Loony BoB
06-05-2006, 04:48 PM
Makeup on guys? That's not cool. I don't like it, personally.

Makeup is used by a lot of people who don't need it, and I don't like that. I don't mind simple stuff like mascara for a girl, but beyond that it seems kind of pointless to me. Danielle looks just as good with makeup off as she does with it on, so I prefer her to not have it on as that means that I can kiss her without any real 'fake' feeling (any guy that has kissed a girl with makeup on will know what I'm talking about).

EDIT: If people wear makeup for a reason such as being on stage or on film or something then I think that's perfectly fine, though. Just not to look attractive while walking down the streets. Most of the time, it doesn't do a thing. Oh, again, mascara doesn't count. Mascara makes girls eyes look good, I'll admit that.

Captain VooDoo
06-05-2006, 05:26 PM
it all depends how you do your makeup,personally i think makeup looks better on guys than on girls.
some makeups that make girls look awful could make a guy look cute.:love:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/SUNandMOON118FYRE/innocentDavey.jpg
if a girl wore that makeup theyd look awful.

Croyles
06-05-2006, 05:44 PM
Same.
I dont really mind, as long as they dont look too feminine, and obviously if you have a sexual preference i just accept that like anything else. But i dont think men should go so far that they get so vain about their looks.

Mirage
06-05-2006, 06:02 PM
I've been known to wear makeup, mainly to freak out other guys :p. Some girls thought i was cute though, and I thought it was just okay myself. I just bought some average girls makeup though. Don't wanna blow too much cash on something I'll only use a few times a year. I used to use a concealer when I was younger, cause I had a few very visible zits :(.

I don't mind other boys wearing makeup, really. But I guess I'd be a bit more surprised if a very masculine guy wore it than if a feminine guy did.

project X
06-05-2006, 06:11 PM
Personally I mainly use Maybellene Dream Matte Mousse which is brilliant stuff
I didn't really like it. And it just seems like breeding grounds for bacteria.

I use Maybelline pure makeup (the one with 50% water) and sometimes Covergirl foundation powder. The covergirl stuff is good on the go. I always use foundation and powder together, the powder helps set the foundation. Oh, and I don't know if you've seen the bare minerals commercials but don't get the stuff. It's very messy. And it's average cover up but so much more money.

Anyways, I don't really like eye makeup on guys. Except for Johnny Depp. I don't mind if foundation is used though.

Loony BoB
06-05-2006, 07:09 PM
it all depends how you do your makeup,personally i think makeup looks better on guys than on girls.
I thought that was a girl before I read the text. Yeah, uh, he looks awful, too, so I don't see the point. =[

xX.Silver.Wings.Xx
06-06-2006, 11:57 AM
I use black eyeliner across the top, red across the bottom and black eyeshadow... nothing else really...

Mo-Nercy
06-06-2006, 12:10 PM
I'm probably the type of guy that would do that. xD

I love to look good and I have some male friends that do wear makeup and it doesn't at all phase me, but I prefer letting my nice clothes, expensive shoes and emo hairstyle do all the looking good.

Markus. D
06-06-2006, 12:33 PM
yes Mo. the clothes, shoes and the sexay emo hair ftw,

Reine
06-06-2006, 01:02 PM
I agree with BoB. Males + make-up doesnt sit well with me. What on earth? first leg shaving and now make up?

Where have all the men gone? :(

Anyway, this is just my opinion on the matter, and if some guy I know does wear makeup, im not going to treat him any differently for it. And yes BoB, that guy looks awful..it IS a man right?

Oh GOD yes, pirates are the SOLE exception

Loony BoB
06-06-2006, 01:07 PM
Something tells me that most actual pirates didn't wear a huge amount of makeup. I can't imagine Blackbeard touching up his eye shadow.

Reine
06-06-2006, 01:16 PM
Well, we probably wont know how they really looked, all we "know" is generally from movies, art, etc.

MecaKane
06-06-2006, 01:23 PM

Okay, are you some kind of deep-cover troll or something? After all the BS gay people have had to put up with, now you're coming along and saying "Don't look feminine!"?

I laugh at you, and thank you for showing me that just because someone's part of a group that's been mistreated by society, there is absolutely no guarantee that they'll act any better.

And finally, your tastes are very far from universal.
There's a huge difference between being biologically set to love other guys, and wanting to wear makeup because you're a twat.

Madame Adequate
06-06-2006, 03:17 PM
There's a huge difference between being biologically set to love other guys, and wanting to wear makeup because you're a twat.

I was about to argue, but I realized the only reason I'd wear makeup most of the time is to piss people off, so I suppose that does make me a twat.

I agree with BoB. Males + make-up doesnt sit well with me. What on earth? first leg shaving and now make up?

Where have all the men gone?

Yeah, only fags and women care about their appearance. Guess I should stop washing my hair, too. And no more bathing in general, in fact. God, how can you pussies emasculate yourselves like that? Cleanliness? Pride in appearance? Ugh. You make me sick. :eep:

Loony BoB
06-06-2006, 03:32 PM
Kane and MILFy, both of you stop your distasteful language immediately! Also, lighten up. She wasn't saying that only homosexuals and females wear makeup. She just clearly thinks it's not manly to do so. And I agree. Big deal.

Also, there is a difference between hygiene and aesthetics. Cleaning and even moisturising products are not makeup, they are cleaning products and moisturising products. Makeup is the stuff you can see.

Also, pride in appearance has nothing to do with makeup, as you can look great without it - and some (clearly such as Resha and myself) would say that makeup does not make you look attractive, and therefore there is more pride in one's appearance to not wear makeup. I definitely think that makeup only makes a man look worse.

Seriously, just let people think what they like, don't beat yourself or anyone else up over it.

Madame Adequate
06-06-2006, 07:49 PM
Kane and MILFy, both of you stop your distasteful language immediately! Also, lighten up. She wasn't saying that only homosexuals and females wear makeup. She just clearly thinks it's not manly to do so. And I agree. Big deal.

Itsfine, lern2comprehendsarcasm.

Captain VooDoo
06-06-2006, 08:04 PM
I thought that was a girl before I read the text. Yeah, uh, he looks awful, too, so I don't see the point. =[

but he looks better than a girl would.

Loony BoB
06-06-2006, 08:22 PM

Itsfine, lern2comprehendsarcasm.
I know it was sarcasm. But you still need to mind your language.

Chris
06-06-2006, 08:31 PM
Where have all the men gone?

Please explain that comment to me?

How clever! I'm less of a man because I like to look my absolute best. Reine, that was one stupid comment and without any logic at all.

Anyway, this is just my opinion on the matter, and if some guy I know does wear makeup, im not going to treat him any differently for it.

Wait, what? But he would still be "less of a man" in your opinion?

You confuse me with your double standard.

:(

Loony BoB
06-06-2006, 08:47 PM
I believe Reine was meaning "Where have all the manly men gone?" because, like myself, he thinks that wearing makeup is not a manly thing to do.

man·ly ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mnl)
adj. man·li·er, man·li·est
Having qualities traditionally attributed to a man.
Belonging to or befitting a man; masculine.
I would say that makeup is not traditionally attributed to a man, and I would also say that it is not very masculine.

Again, you might think makeup makes you look your absolute best, but that's a matter of opinion, too, and a lot of people in the world might think that it makes you look less attractive, and/or, as in the case of Reine and myself, less manly.

Also, you can think someone is less of something and still treat them the same. How you think of someone and how you treat them are mutually exclusive.