PDA

View Full Version : UK Who Wants to be a Millionaire: Celebrities lose £468,000 to a trick question!

SuperMillionaire
06-04-2006, 08:42 PM
That's right: £468,000 pounds! (I don't have the UK pound symbol on my computer, so I will symbolize it by the dollar size.) They had $500,000, and were going for $1 Million, but answered a trick question incorrectly, and went all the way back down to $32,000! The question that they answered incorrectly was:

Translated from the Latin, what is the motto of the United States?
A: In God We Trust
B: One Out of Many
C: All as One
D: Striving Together

The correct answer is B, but the given answer was A. The guys at Millionaire didn't want to be accused of using trick questions, so they decided to let them answer another $1m question. Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVLpNmOMdT8&search=Who%20Wants%20to%20be%20a%20Millionaire%3F%20

~SapphireStar~
06-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Man this is old. They didnt answer incorrectly, the question had 2 answers. I personally thought it was A and ITV News went to America and asked normal members of the public the question and they said A or B. At least they were given another question, plus it was all for charity. And number 3 on your keyboard is the £ sign.

SuperMillionaire
06-04-2006, 08:50 PM
They had a second chance, but the walked away. What was the asnwer to the second question? It's not shown on this video.

And no, I don't have the pound symbol. I'm from America.

~SapphireStar~
06-04-2006, 08:52 PM
Im not sure I didnt watch the second time they went for it. And I thought all PC keyboards were the same. Sorry.

starseeker
06-04-2006, 08:59 PM
The American one is different. It doesn't have £ or Alt Gr (used for writing Gaelic) on it.

I Don't Need A Name
06-04-2006, 09:04 PM
yeah what was the answer? seeing as we are talking about Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, i found a funny video of the American Version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rXS2KKRnLg&search=Who%20Wants%20to%20be%20a%20Millionaire%3F%20

eestlinc
06-04-2006, 09:16 PM
In 1956 the US motto was officially changed from E Pluribus Unum to In God We Trust.

SuperMillionaire
06-05-2006, 07:10 PM
yeah what was the answer? seeing as we are talking about Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, i found a funny video of the American Version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rXS2KKRnLg&search=Who%20Wants%20to%20be%20a%20Millionaire%3F%20
I've seen that video. That's one's with Meredith Vieira, not with Regis Philbin (the UK host is Chris Tarrant). And that guy accidentally got the $100 question wrong and left with absolutely nothing.

And who edited my post to put the pound symbol in there?

edczxcvbnm
06-05-2006, 07:30 PM
It isn't that the question is a trick question so much as it is a incorrectly worded question with no right answer from the selections.

Dreddz
06-05-2006, 08:16 PM
Whats awesome is that we in the UK win more money than the US. Alot more :p

SuperMillionaire
06-06-2006, 12:33 AM
Whats awesome is that we in the UK win more money than the US. Alot more :p
I know. The British pound has the highest exchange rate in the world.

DarkLadyNyara
06-06-2006, 01:31 AM
Meh, the "translated from latin" kinda rules out In God We Trust. At least to me it does. But the question was badly worded.

In 1956 the US motto was officially changed from E Pluribus Unum to In God We Trust.
Which sucks royaly if you ask me. The old one fits much better.

eestlinc
06-06-2006, 05:22 AM
it's not badly worded, it's just incorrect. The current US motto is not in Latin. I guess one could translate it into Latin and then translate it back.

I agree I like E Pluribus Unum a lot more.

SuperMillionaire
06-07-2006, 02:11 PM
Another motto is "United We Stand, Divided We Fall", which was especially popularized after 9/11.

udsuna
06-07-2006, 03:53 PM
I think it was a perfectly acceptable question and answer.

E. Pluribus Unum is on our currency, it's in a great many of our documents. I'm not sure a lot of Americans would have thought it's not our motto. In fact, I always figured we just sorta had two mottos. But the thing is- it's the *only* one that's in latin, so, it's the only one that counts. Plus the whole "In God we trust" thing is getting all kinds of extreme leftist bull right now.

Then again, being American and having some experience with latin, this is one of those "too easy to criticize" questions. Maybe it's a trick question elsewhere- but I'd have to beat any American adult who was even confused with a sock full of quarters.

SuperMillionaire
06-07-2006, 08:17 PM
Well, a lot of Americans are Roman Catholic, which is why they say "In God we trust". However, some aren't, like the Scientologists, such as Tom Cruise.

Tainted Angel
06-08-2006, 03:16 PM
Don't let the Southern Babtists hear you say that!

Christian/Catholic yes. But it is a 'establishment of religion' that says... "We believe in a single male deity".

SuperMillionaire
06-09-2006, 01:02 AM
Yes, believing in one god is called monotheism.