PDA

View Full Version : Help a newbie like me out!

GOD GUNDAM
06-04-2006, 11:02 PM
I was told that if you want to heal yourself, you will have to press "*", but that didn't work for me! Here is my FFXI name:Charlemagne, so you guys can help me out in the game, since it's frustrating trying to find out controls in the game!

Miriel
06-04-2006, 11:14 PM
There are multiple servers for FFXI, so chances are, most of us won't be able to help you in-game because most of us won't be on the same server as you. If * doesn't work (and it really should) then /heal should also work.

Rostum
06-05-2006, 12:17 AM
I personally use CTRL+H. =)

dodhungry
06-05-2006, 05:15 AM
:p if healing is the only thing your having problems with now then consider yourself lucky...

just remember after about a week you can laugh at the noobs too.

Aerio
06-05-2006, 05:57 AM
I've played quite a few MMOs in my day, ranging from Everquest 1 to WoW and I must say that FFXI is by far the most complex one out there that I've played. I was reading some guides today about how different layouts of your house affect things >_> was totally confused. I still get nervous in groups because I'm such a n00b to this game. Anyways, sorta on topic. Make sure your not targetting ANYTHING when you use *,it'll lock you to your target instead if you do. Everything has to be off your screen before it'll work as a command. So hit your right mouse button or escape a few times before hitting it.

I think I'm a perma-FFXI n00b. Started it when it first came out in America, quit. Started again and then decided to change server to a friends, was a complete n00b again. Quit. Now I'm here trying again since WoW bores me and EQ2 keeps stabbing me in the neck with a rusty knife no matter how much I enjoy its backstory, I can't play it when other MMOs are so much better.

GOD GUNDAM
06-05-2006, 11:08 PM
So what does the combat skills doe for you? Since it now my hand to hand skill is 5! Also, is the exp. points the only thing you will lose if you die in a battle?

G Campbell
06-05-2006, 11:20 PM
As your combat skills increase you learn weapon skills which use up your TP. You cant use them until you have your Tp bar to 100 at least and the higher it is the more effective it is.
You dont lose anything else when you die. You lose about 10% of the total exp till the next lvl when you die but when you are raised you gain some back.

Roogle
06-05-2006, 11:42 PM
Did you press the * on the Number Pad?

Laguna
06-06-2006, 12:33 AM
That's exactly what I thought. It's numpad controls >.>

My biggest advice to a new player- don't rush yourself. As much as you want to run out and be awesome, take time to learn about your chosen job(s) and pick up good advice.

I swear if I see one more warrior with a sword and shield I will be very upset T.T

Yeargdribble
06-06-2006, 01:03 AM
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/Yeargdribble/numpad.jpg

That's my little diagram of the controls. Keep your thumb over the arrow keys and control the rest with the numpad. I forgot to label that 9 and 3 zoom in and out.

I personally use Ctrl+H to rest so that I can be targeted on a mob and still rest.

GOD GUNDAM
06-06-2006, 03:47 AM
Do you know where I can buy weapons/armor for my lv.4 Galka warrior? Also, what is delay for the weapon stat?

Laguna
06-06-2006, 02:17 PM
Hmm, well the Auction House (AH) has a lot of choice, but as always the price is somewhat higher than you might pay if you buy from NPCs. Take the time to look around your hometown, im sure there is a merchant somewhere that might have some gear you can buy.

Personally I'd wait until level 7 and score a full set of leather gear. I dont know what weapon you are using, but I'd say try and get hold of a great axe. Probably one of the better weapons for a low level warrior. Failing that, a hand axe and a shield is acceptable.

EDIT: Delay is the amount of time between attacks. A higher delay means you'll have to wait longer between attacks. Example: My current sword has a delay of 250. Another sword has a delay of 220. My current sword is "slower" than the other one. Single handed weapons are quicker than two handed weapons (scythe being the slowest) but offer substantially less attack power. It's all up to you really. So long as you don't have a delay of 600+ or something you should be ok :P

nenefairy
06-08-2006, 02:11 AM
delay is fun ;p chances are you hit harder (aka Dark Knight)
Laguna is right though, check out the armouries (sp?) and weapon shops around where your home town, i found some good stuff there!

as for the dying, you can de-level as well, which is a bummer, but hey, at low levels it's not so bad, and you end up at your homepoint which is sometimes useful, saves the walk ;).

go for a cool great axe, ^-^ i'm a warrior, and they are truly the best, admittingly you'll get used to the delay, but it's fun really, because you hit hard! Careful about not going out too far when you begin leveling though! because some of the enemies could be hard.. i found that out the silly way!!

GOD GUNDAM
06-08-2006, 06:25 PM
What is the difference when there the weapon's stat:damage is +2 when the damage is 2? Also, what is the water attribute for my shield, since there is a waterdrop symbol +2 for its stat?

No.78
06-08-2006, 08:50 PM
It's not abnormal to still be new to this game after a long period of time. I've had this game for two years, my highest level is 36 and I've only ever participated in PvP once.

Yeargdribble
06-08-2006, 10:56 PM
What is the difference when there the weapon's stat:damage is +2 when the damage is 2? Also, what is the water attribute for my shield, since there is a waterdrop symbol +2 for its stat?

I'm not completely sure I understand the question but it sounds like you're taking about hand-to-hand weapons. H2H weapons add delay (there would be 0 if you were barehanded) and usually have damage like +2 since it's adding to your barehands. Other weapons might just have damage of 2 (not +2) because that is the weapons damage and there is no comparison to someting like a barehanded sword. Kinda confusing but that's the way it is.

As for the waterdrop (or any other symbol) this means it adds 2 resistance to that element. This means you'll have a little extra resistance to any water spells or water based spells (Poison is a water based spell). Of course 2 resistance is scarcely noticable really.

There are things to keep in mind about the delay of weapons. For one keep in mind every weapon has a DPS (damage per second). Multiple the damage by 60 and divide that answer by the delay. Even though some weapons might hit way harder and a little slower they could still be doing less DoT (damage over time.

Bronze Zahgnal (Scythe) Dmg 14 Delay 480.... DPS 1.75
Wax Sword +1 (Sword) Dmg 7 Delay 218.... DPS 1.93

In this case the sword that would be putting out way less damage per swing still outdamages the harder hitting scythe over time. Now also keep in mind that you are statistically more likely to land your blows more often with a faster weapon. Let's say that in one minute you swung your sword 10 times and only landed 7/10 blows. Now what if in that same minute you swung your scythe 3 times and only landed 1/3 blows. Obviously the sword would do more damage. When you miss with a big weapon it's negative effects (loss of damage and loss of TP gain) are way more noticable than missing one time with a low delay weapon.

Aside from all of this you should probably be using what your job's best weapon is. Each job is ranked a certain way in weapons. WARs I believe are A+ in Great Axes and A- in one handed axes. MNK is obviously A+ in H2H. THF is A+ in dagger however at lower levels it is potentially more useful for you to use a Sword (or H2H if you are /MNK)because dagger gets no decent WSs until the 30s. But at that point (after learning Viper Bite) you should stick to your A+ weapon.

There are many WARS that think it is cool to use things like Scythes and Swords but they just aren't made for these weapons. If you are lower classed in a weapon you will have less skill in that weapons and therefore will miss far more often which puts out way less damage.

GOD GUNDAM
06-09-2006, 11:34 AM
How would I know what server I'm on, since I randomly get login everytime I play FF XI?

Laguna
06-09-2006, 12:32 PM
When you login you get a server message "Welcome to 'X'". In my case it's "Welcome to Kujata!", just make sure you read which name comes up. Alternatively, it should say on the character select screen. If you want to see a full list of the servers, go to www.playonline.com and look up the server status.

No.78
06-09-2006, 01:03 PM
AWESOME! I'm in Kujata too!!! *dances* lol... Sorry it's just that almost never happens.

Laguna
06-09-2006, 04:23 PM
You're on Kujata? Yay! I thought I was the only eyeson member to be on that server!

No.78
06-09-2006, 09:00 PM
I'm Kallick... My other character is called Tavertaru and my mule is Quillick, so umm... If you see me give me a /wave :D

GOD GUNDAM
06-12-2006, 07:08 AM
Dang it, I'm trying to get to see a black wolf to spawn since I heard it's spawn at night and on the hills in North Gustaberg, so can anyone tell me, if I'm right or not? It'd because I need a dog collar to do a quest!

No.78
06-12-2006, 09:06 AM
yeah they do... I usually spot one whenever I go through there at night on a chocobo... Around the bridge area, on the southern side, north gustaberg... On the lower side of the cliff. Just kill some quadav to pass the time :p

GOD GUNDAM
06-13-2006, 12:58 PM
Can you increase your inventory space in your moogle house?

No.78
06-13-2006, 01:04 PM
Yeah there's some quest you can do for that... There are also quests to boost your normal inventory size... And you can get a mog locker toooo... Don't ask me how though... I advise looking them up on something like alakazam.com, or something better.

Laguna
06-13-2006, 04:17 PM
Inventory Space- Gobbie Bag Quests. Start the quests in the junk shop in lower jeuno. If your fame is high enough the goblin will offer to make you a bigger bag in exchange for the right items. Quite expensive. REQUIRES FAME.

Mog Safe Space- Bed Quests. Buying a bed and putting it your mog house may activate a quest wherein your moogle says he's going away and wants some items. Bring him the right ones and eventually there will be a cutscene where he gives you a bigger mogsafe as a thank you present. First quest is a bronze bed, items required: beetle ring, power bow. REQUIRES FAME.

Mog locker space- in exchange for imperial mythril pieces you can increase your mog locker from 30, to 50 slots. Not a bad upgrade, and not fame based either!

If you've been on a farming spree, the quickest way to gain fame in Jeuno (for the gobbie bag) and San d'Oria and Bastok (assuming your home nation is one of these for the bed quests) is the old selbina/boyhada moss quest.

Lionx
06-14-2006, 01:34 AM
Every point in weapon skill also means 1 added point to attack and accuracy of that weapon, which is why some weapons that cap lower than your highest, are generally not preferred. However this cap is moot point under 30, but if you decide to take it any higher, choose the job's most proficient weapon. You also have to know that usually 100TP vs 300TP is not different enough to warrant you using the time to get it higher.

Delay considers how much time before your next swing, as well as your TP gain. Obviously a Great Sword will give you more TP when you hit, vs a Sword. This also affects Haste and Dual Wield, meaning that when you have a weapon that swings slow, and then you make them swing faster by lowering their delay, your TP gain is also adjusted to that delay value, so you are not gaining TP any faster(in fact it can be slower). Dual Wield is funky in the sense that pre Haste upgrade around 25, it only adds the two delays of the weapons together meaning you dont swing any faster, yet the delays are re-calculated in terms of TP gain, meaning if you do not have a fast swinging weapon, you actually gain TP SLOWER.

Delay for H2H is the default, and the weapons only add on the delay to your H2H flat delay(that is, if you take off all weapons and go barefisted).

In this case the sword that would be putting out way less damage per swing still outdamages the harder hitting scythe over time. Now also keep in mind that you are statistically more likely to land your blows more often with a faster weapon. Let's say that in one minute you swung your sword 10 times and only landed 7/10 blows. Now what if in that same minute you swung your scythe 3 times and only landed 1/3 blows. Obviously the sword would do more damage. When you miss with a big weapon it's negative effects (loss of damage and loss of TP gain) are way more noticable than missing one time with a low delay weapon.

You can also say that because you swing that many more times, you are statistically also more likely to miss that many more times as well. I dont know, but in the end the game usually balances everything out somehow as long as your gear is decent. I dont feel a Sword is gonna outdamage the Scythe though, in this game the Swords are generally....very weak compared to Axes which have similiar if not same delay.

BTW Fame lvls are increased by every side-quest you do.

Yeargdribble
06-14-2006, 02:03 AM
I agree that statistically you have a greater chance to miss. Like you said, in endgame it balances out as you have access to better and more balanced gear. I've found from leveling all of my low jobs that while soloing at lower levels a high delays weapon can get you killed. One miss often equals death as the mob can get in 2-3 hits between scythe/GSword swings.

However, in XP I'd just suggest using the weapon to which your job has the most affinity for the accuracy reasons that Lion mentioned. Looking back I probably wasn't too clear about that.

GOD GUNDAM
06-16-2006, 05:51 AM
Well, somehow I got a message that the telepoint at Crag of Dem has disappeared when I clicked on the dimensional portal, so how can I get a faded crystal then?!

Lionx
06-16-2006, 10:37 AM
The faded and shattered telepoints are for Chains of Promathia stuff, theres 3 of those points and one of those arent broken so just walk around.

GOD GUNDAM
06-18-2006, 07:48 PM
Where are the steam lizards located in Dangruf Wadi?

Laguna
06-19-2006, 12:25 AM
Isnt the steam lizard an NM? Or am I confused? I thought it was the one that dropped the steam scale mail (level 27?). If it is an nm, it'll spawn at a random time most likely, within a certain area. Can't be more specific, I dont know it very well!

GOD GUNDAM
06-19-2006, 12:56 AM
Well, basically I need a lizard egg for a mission! So, sometime the AH doesn't have any items for sell since I check for them! So if anyone is on the carbuncle server please contact me (Charlemagne) and I will buy it from you!

Sorry for the double post, but I need to put this page on the top again! I was wondering what craft should I start on so I can gain efffective profit?! Also, can you help me to start out on the craft like give me advices and/or materials?!

Please don't double post, regardless of whether you wanted to "bump" this thread or not. - Miriel

Miriel
07-08-2006, 06:36 PM
GOD GUNDAM, create a new thread for a new topic instead of double posting and asking your question here. Your new question really has nothing to do with what this thread was started for.