PDA

View Full Version : Online Radio Broadcast

VorpalCyberWolf
06-06-2006, 07:35 AM
Ok, so recently I was more or less conned into making a SHOUTcast radio station for the near future. However, I have no idea where to start really. I know I have the songs (let's just say plenty) and the software (downloaded and installed) and what not. But Im not exactly sure how to develop the server and connect to it. Any tips and/or tutorials one might be willing to share to help me get started?

Samuraid
06-06-2006, 09:41 AM
Well, running a server requires a lot of bandwidth, especially if you have a lot of listeners, so you may want to google around and see if you can find a publically available shoutcast server you can use. I don't know of any right off, but I'm sure there are some available.

If you have a hefty internet connection (fast upstream) and/or you don't have more than a few listeners, you could run the server on your local computer and either stream to it from your client or load a list of songs into the server. If you were to choose to run your own server, you would need to make sure any router/firewall on your network had the proper ports open.

You may want to read through a guide online as it will provide more detailed descriptions than I can here:
http://webmonkey.wired.com/webmonkey/00/45/index3a_page2.html?tw=multimedia