PDA

View Full Version : Calculator = Game to Easy?

Chocobo Chuck
06-06-2006, 05:19 PM
Is it just me or does the Calculator Class ability pared up with Wizard make the game WAYYYYY to easy?

I got all the abilities with Calc, but got mad because there was no challenge left...

What is your oppinion?

Crossblades
06-06-2006, 06:34 PM
I've never played with a Calculator. There abilities just never interested me. However, I plan to use one when I replay the game

conan
06-06-2006, 06:47 PM
Yes, if this game were ever to go multiplayer, calculators would be the first unit to become re-balanced. I say make the spells cost the MP, but still have instant charge time, and they're no longer too overpowered.

BG-57
06-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Once you get all the abilities, Math Skills are easily the best and most powerful secondary skill set to have. I consider it a reward for slogging through all the prerequisite magic-user classes and the Calculator itself (with some of the worst stats of any class).

Chocobo Chuck
06-06-2006, 07:37 PM
It is accualy pretty easy to 'slag' through every mage class to get Calc.

BG-57
06-06-2006, 10:17 PM
You didn't find getting all the spells tedious?

Laguna
06-06-2006, 11:07 PM
I never bothered unlocking this job. I had too much fun with Cloud instead XD

Azure Chrysanthemum
06-07-2006, 12:17 AM
Call it a reward for all of the leveling you'll inevitably have to do. As was said, this class would definitely need to be rebalanced if it went multiplayer, but it's a special class that can make you pretty unstoppable. Kinda like Orlandu except more readily available.

dodhungry
06-08-2006, 04:57 AM
Calculator=blah I don't use a calcultor nor the secondary ability even though I could if I wanted to.. I think the calculator is as useless as the mime in somecases. I would rather have one good black-white mage than a calculator.

Despotus
06-08-2006, 07:50 AM
Calculator=blah I don't use a calcultor nor the secondary ability even though I could if I wanted to.. I think the calculator is as useless as the mime in somecases. I would rather have one good black-white mage than a calculator.
I must say that I strongly disagree with you on this point, dodhungry. The Calculator's Math Skill ability is extremely useful because it allows you to target multiple enemies (who may be very far away) with almost any spell from Time, Black, White, or Yin Yang Magic. In addition, they are even more useful when you pair them up with a Mime. If the first calculated spell misses, the Mime will also have a chance to successfully hit the same targeted characters. And if you have calculated a damaging spell, like Holy or Flare, the Mime will do additional damage to the targeted characters. The only spell I wouldn't recommend using in this setup is Frog because two successful castings of that spell would negate each other.

Dark Messenger
06-27-2006, 04:27 PM
Frog is a really great spell in either a Solo Ramza game, or when you're just trying to level up someone like Cloud. Frogs can only deal about 7 or so damage! It's funny when a Level 1 Cloud hits a Level 99 Frogged Enemy and gets hit back for 7 damage and then levels up! I had just played a Solo Ramza game, but after completing everything but the final battles in Chapter 4, I started to create soldiers. This is a challenge since the enemies and Ramza are in the 90's, the newbies will be WAY behind. So I use Math Skills to disable the enemies so the new fighters can easily train.

So, all in all, Math Skills can have many uses.

Angel of Death
07-01-2006, 09:21 AM
Math Skill is only as useful as your brain is.

And another drawback is it can be time-consuming checking everything, unless you equip Holy Absorption on everyone and use the CT to your advantage. :choc2:

Mage_of_Fire
07-13-2006, 11:50 AM
calculator is tedious b/c of their abysmal speed/waiting time. IMHO, it's basically a must to have a battle where you frog the last enemy and level up the calc's jp overnight. It's just too hard to keep them alive in normal battles when they are just starting out otherwise. They just freaking never get a chance to move!

BG-57
07-13-2006, 01:48 PM
I only level up Calculators when Ramza has Guts equipped. That way he can use Yell to increase the Calculator's speed by +1 every time he gets a turn.

MogThief
08-07-2006, 07:29 PM
I believe their skills do make the game too easy.

Gilthanes
08-12-2006, 08:42 PM
Its pretty obvious. Calculator is your reward for gathering all the magic you can in the game then skilling up the slowest class in the game. Are they very overpowered ? Yes, but not everyone is gonna take the time to work up a master calculator and its the reward to those who do. Lets face, it you sit back and get a Calculator all the magic and his class mastered, you are gonna beat any part of the rest of the game without any effort due to your efforts in powering yourself up.

That said, Math Skill is no more imbalancing than Orlandu spamming Night Sword with Blade Grasp and MagicD/Defense Up skills equipped, who ends up being nearly unkillable, or a 1 hp Beowulf running around hitting everything instantly for 600+ damage.

Personally, I never liked Math Skill and never used it much. Short of equipping your entire group with a specific Absorb Element armor, its too tedious to me to check and recheck every spell I want to use. I'd rather just use a Summoner or Time Mage and know where my spell limitations are