PDA

View Full Version : Who's the best in Super Smash Brothers Melee?

PontiusPilate
06-06-2006, 08:55 PM
Who's the best character to use in Super Smash Brothers Melee?

Roto13
06-06-2006, 08:58 PM
Tiers:

Top:
Sheik
Fox
Marth

Upper:
Peach
Falco
C. Falcon
Samus

High:
Jigglypuff
Dr. Mario
Ganondorf
Mario
Ice Climbers

Mid:
Luigi
Link
Roy
DK
Pikachu
Zelda

Low:
Ness
Young Link
Yoshi
Kirby
Mr. Game & Watch
Bowser

Bottom:
Mewtwo
Pichu

Master Quan
06-06-2006, 09:03 PM
Or, alternatively, if you're playing PAL:

Top:
Marth
Fox
Peach

Upper:
Falco
Sheik
C. Falcon

High:
Samus
Jigglypuff
Dr. Mario
Ice Climbers
Ganondorf

Mid:
Mario
Luigi
Roy
Link
DK
Pikachu
Zelda

Low:
Kirby
Ness
Young Link
Yoshi
Mr. Game & Watch
Bowser

Bottom:
Mewtwo
Pichu

Roto13
06-06-2006, 09:03 PM
The PAL version is different? How?

Master Quan
06-06-2006, 09:11 PM
Marth is lighter, and his D-air is a meteor, not a spike, Fox can't infinite d-throw Falco, and he can't shine combo Marth, Shiek's aerials are a LOT weaker, and she can't chain d-throw, Falco's D-air doesn't spike through the entire animation, Samus can't bomb cancel throws, The Ice Climbers don't have their infinites, Mario is lighter, Link is slightly weaker and can't Up+B spike, Kirby is a LOT heavier, Mr Game and Watch can now be D-thrown by Bowser.

Also, since the top three are weaker in certain aspects it brings the tiers closer together.

I'm fairly sure all of that is valid, but I apologise if it isn't.

Roto13
06-06-2006, 09:50 PM
Why make Link weaker? He already sucked.

Master Quan
06-06-2006, 09:52 PM
You make it sound as though Nintendo have ever known what the hell they were doing.

Roto13
06-06-2006, 09:59 PM
Their dozens of massively successful games count for nothing!

EDIT: What the feck was that? *fixes*

PontiusPilate
06-06-2006, 10:13 PM
whats the PAL version? and why is Fox so good?

Zeldy
06-06-2006, 10:24 PM
Fox <3
I LOVE Fox. I can even beat my brother on that game, and thats saying something.

Laguna
06-06-2006, 10:38 PM
PAL is european, and fox isnt that great if you ask me >.> He's not damaging enough to be worth using. Any character can bounce him around the arena. Personally I'd say Marth and Sheik are both contenders for the best character. Still, sometimes some characters look rubbish until they are used by the right person. All depends on skill, no weapon is useless in the hands of a pro XD

Master Quan
06-06-2006, 10:43 PM
Right you are. Goddamn, I mean, I thought the Iceys were awful until I saw a vid of someone conclusively RAPING a Marth to the rib cage.

(Obviously you're wrong about Fox being "not that great", it's just that very few people have the patience to learn all of the technical bullshizzam that's needed to play him. I am one of the ones who did)

Rase
06-07-2006, 05:34 AM
I've been trying to get good with a good variety of characters, but I'm definetly better with Ganondorf than any other character.

CloudDragon
06-07-2006, 05:36 AM
I don't necessarily think you can officially classify another character being "better" than another in the Super Smash Bros. games. Every character has their own strengths and weaknesses, and we will play each character differently.

My personal best characters are Link, Pikachu, Samus, and Captain Falcon.

Behold the Void
06-07-2006, 05:49 AM
I don't necessarily think you can officially classify another character being "better" than another in the Super Smash Bros. games. Every character has their own strengths and weaknesses, and we will play each character differently.

I do contend, however, that Mewtwo and Game and Watch are pretty godawful. I've just not seen them ever used effectively.

CloudDragon
06-07-2006, 06:01 AM
I can't argue with that. Some characters just suck.

ljkkjlcm9
06-07-2006, 06:05 AM
I'm best with Fox, because I used him in the first game so I used him the most in the second game, but I can beat most people with....
(in order of best)
falco, roy, marth, mario, zelda and sheik(I actually use both), kirby, young link, link, peach, samus, pikachu, ganondorf

I never used Captain Falcon cause that was my brothers character, and the only one he would use.

That's one thing about me, I get good with more than one character so I can adapt depending on who they use, cause to be honest, some characters are better than others. Fox or Falco is awesome one on one, but I'd rather take roy, marth, or mario for groups of skilled players.

THE JACKEL

Master Quan
06-07-2006, 09:42 AM

What? Of course you can. If there are differences (even a few) then one is automatically better than the other. No question. I'd even go so far and dispute any kind of likelyhood that the changes balance out exactly because it's just so goddamn unlikely.

You're looking at this from the point of view of the casual player, and not the professional.

edit: Hell, you even dispute your own argument two posts later.

Also, tiers don't define who will win. They are there to show that if two people of the same skill level played with any two characters, who is likely to win.

A fair example is someone who plays Shiek, and someone who plays Ness. Shiek is very powerful. So is Ness. But Ness is a LOT slower than Shiek. Already it's looking Shiek > Ness. Then you can consider the time taken to master each character. The average player, on the verge of "pro tactics" can pickup Shiek to a competative level in the time it takes to eat a bowl of kellogs cornflakes. Ness, on the other hand, may take months to learn.

PontiusPilate
06-07-2006, 11:59 AM
That doesn't answer my question. What makes Fox good? (specific moves, speed what?)

Elite Lord Sigma
06-07-2006, 12:01 PM
Even though Roy is supposedly middle-tier, I find that he's my best character. Through experience I've found that the best way to use him is to counter any attacks (except throws, which I dodge) that get thrown his way with his Down-B stance, then go and attack the opponent as much as possible, giving them very little time to react or recover.

Master Quan
06-07-2006, 12:08 PM
Even though Roy is supposedly middle-tier, I find that he's my best character. Through experience I've found that the best way to use him is to counter any attacks (except throws, which I dodge) that get thrown his way with his Down-B stance, then go and attack the opponent as much as possible, giving them very little time to react or recover.

Hahaha.

edit:

That doesn't answer my question. What makes Fox good? (specific moves, speed what?)

My post wasn't trying to answer your question. But since you seem indignant, it's because of his Down+B.

Ultima Shadow
06-07-2006, 01:07 PM
Marth is lighter, and his D-air is a meteor, not a spike, Fox can't infinite d-throw Falco, and he can't shine combo Marth, Shiek's aerials are a LOT weaker, and she can't chain d-throw, Falco's D-air doesn't spike through the entire animation, Samus can't bomb cancel throws, The Ice Climbers don't have their infinites, Mario is lighter, Link is slightly weaker and can't Up+B spike, Kirby is a LOT heavier, Mr Game and Watch can now be D-thrown by Bowser.

Also, since the top three are weaker in certain aspects it brings the tiers closer together.

I'm fairly sure all of that is valid, but I apologise if it isn't.Interesting. I knew about Sheik being weaker, but not some of the other differences, like Marth being lighter etc. I play the PAL version, by the way.

Also, most of Sheik's aerials are actually pretty much the same, from what I've seen. It's just her Up Air that's a whole freking horrible lot weaker. It KO's a mid-weight at about 150%+ in PAL (med-sized stage).

Also... if the IC's doesn't have their infinite in PAL, how come they are still placed higher in PAL? Doesn't really make much sense.

Also, Link doesn't really "suck". Even though he's far from the best character in the game and prett low on the tier list, he's still a decent all around character if you ask me. :greenie:

Anyways... I would still also place Fox the highest on the list because of his stupid Shines and the fact that he's still the fastest overall character in the game. And Sheik being lower than both Peach and Falco? Falco only beat Sheik on FD and Sheik is still pretty much un-counterable (you can't really counter-pick a character VS Sheik). Even without the chain grab and Up A, she still got insane combo potentional and her bitch slap + needles. Oh well... that's just my oppinion, though. :greenie:

That doesn't answer my question. What makes Fox good? (specific moves, speed what?)Fastest overall character in the game, best Up Smash in the game, awesome Up Aerial, best combo potentional in the game and... yeah... his Down B aka the "Shine".

Edit:

Even though Roy is supposedly middle-tier, I find that he's my best character. Through experience I've found that the best way to use him is to counter any attacks (except throws, which I dodge) that get thrown his way with his Down-B stance, then go and attack the opponent as much as possible, giving them very little time to react or recover.That would never work VS a player who use mindgames. As soon as your opponent is able to predict a counter, you'll get comboed or smashed. Or they could just grab you. Relying on counter won't get you very far, really.

Markus. D
06-07-2006, 01:36 PM

I do contend, however, that Mewtwo and Game and Watch are pretty godawful. I've just not seen them ever used effectively.

IMO oppinion the only character thats sucks is Bowser.

Mewtwo should be nerfed >_>

just confuse against a wall, and begin carging a shadow ball while facing away from them (but stay right next to him/her) it should spam alot of damage, veeeery fast.

Master Quan
06-07-2006, 02:45 PM
Also, most of Sheik's aerials are actually pretty much the same, from what I've seen. It's just her Up Air that's a whole freking horrible lot weaker. It KO's a mid-weight at about 150%+ in PAL (med-sized stage).

Fair point, I just generalised a little bit and put "aerials".

Also... if the IC's doesn't have their infinite in PAL, how come they are still placed higher in PAL? Doesn't really make much sense.

Because of the top few characters being weakened. Shiek had far too easy of a time KOing Nana, and as we all know, Popo - Nana = Doomed.

Anyways... I would still also place Fox the highest on the list because of his stupid Shines and the fact that he's still the fastest overall character in the game.

Theoretically, Fox IS the best character. But no one can play him that consistently.

And Sheik being lower than both Peach and Falco? Falco only beat Sheik on FD and Sheik is still pretty much un-counterable (you can't really counter-pick a character VS Sheik). Even without the chain grab and Up A, she still got insane combo potentional and her bitch slap + needles. Oh well... that's just my oppinion, though. :greenie:

Without her D-throw, a large proportion of what makes her so easy to use and win with is gone. The potential is still there to combo with her, it's just not as easy.

Also, I would've said Doc semi counters Shiek.

edit:

Mewtwo should be nerfed >_>

just confuse against a wall, and begin carging a shadow ball while facing away from them (but stay right next to him/her) it should spam alot of damage, veeeery fast.

Mewtwo should NOT be nerfed AT ALL. Quite the opposite actually. That strategy won't EVER work against ANYONE. EVER. It can be escaped from so easily it's not even funny.

Behold the Void
06-07-2006, 03:20 PM
Mewtwo should be nerfed? Mewtwo is nerfed. Shadow Ball is his only decent move, and it's really not that great, you can't even aim the stupid thing properly.

The Triumphant Hero
06-07-2006, 03:34 PM
I think Marth and Captain Falcon are the best, mainly because I have a friend who slaughters any other character I use with Fox.

Ultima Shadow
06-07-2006, 03:48 PM
Because of the top few characters being weakened. Shiek had far too easy of a time KOing Nana, and as we all know, Popo - Nana = Doomed.
Fair enough then. I still think their little nasty glitch would make up for that but... oh well.

Theoretically, Fox IS the best character. But no one can play him that consistently.People can play him well enough to be more bloody annoying with him than it's possible to be with any other character, though. Not even defensive Sheik's and laser spamming Falco's can be more annoying than a shining Fox. But yeah... I guess Marth could possibly take Fox's place as the top tier champion because of his crazy aerial combos, that are much easier to pull off than any of Fox's combos, not to mention his great grab range and un-matched edge-guarding potentional. Buuuuuuut... if I would edit the list, I would still place Fox on top just because of his shine. :greenie:

Without her D-throw, a large proportion of what makes her so easy to use and win with is gone. The potential is still there to combo with her, it's just not as easy.

Also, I would've said Doc semi counters Shiek.
She's still possibly the easiest character in the game to combo with. Atleast one of the easiest. Far easier than Peach and Falco. I do agree that Peach belongs in top tier... but that doesn't mean Sheik should leave. But even if Peach could be considered better than Sheik in PAL, I really don't think the same could be said about Falco. Yes, short hop laser works wonders, but you can both counter-pick stage and character VS Falco, you can't VS Sheik. Even if you consider Doc a semi-counter, that's only one singel semi-counter out of the entire set of characters. And there's no stage-counter that works good VS Sheik.

I'm not trying to protect Sheik, because I really don't like her. However... the reason I don't like her is because she's so easily played and so easy to combo with. Even in PAL she IS a combo-machine. :greenie:

Mewtwo should be nerfed? Mewtwo is nerfed. Shadow Ball is his only decent move, and it's really not that great, you can't even aim the stupid thing properly.And his grabs + throws, neutral aerial and down + side tilts. But those alone are not enough. And it's not only Mewtwo's moveset that sucks. He's extremely easy to combo and instant-KO, he's slow and he's hard to pull off combos with etc. He got a great recovery, though. I can give him that. Sadly, all you need to do is instant-KO him which, like I said before, is far too easy.

Master Quan
06-07-2006, 04:32 PM
I think, in order to fix Mewtwo, they should make him a lot heavier. If Mewtwo was as heavy as Bowser he would soar through the tiers.

Elite Lord Sigma
06-07-2006, 10:37 PM
I agree with you Quan. Mewtwo pretty much sucks. As for my Roy thing, I suppose I was overreacting a bit. I'm sure that being Counter-happy is too predictable. I can use Roy well enough that I can pretty much dominate anybody else. But since I have yet to use him in official competition, I don't know how good he is.

ljkkjlcm9
06-07-2006, 10:52 PM
I will never enter an official competition. Great for all of you people that do. The only competitions I'll have is with my friends, because that's why I play, to have fun with my friends. All this talk about who is better, who cares? Use the character you want to use. Just have fun with it. I mean I can beat my friends with Mewtwo, it's hard, which makes it tons of fun. Just have fun and don't worry about who is "better" because a character can only be as good as the person playing it.

THE JACKEL

Fire_Emblem776
06-07-2006, 11:09 PM
I agree with you Quan. Mewtwo pretty much sucks. As for my Roy thing, I suppose I was overreacting a bit. I'm sure that being Counter-happy is too predictable. I can use Roy well enough that I can pretty much dominate anybody else. But since I have yet to use him in official competition, I don't know how good he is.

Hes great to use if your gona run away and use items XD

Master Quan
06-07-2006, 11:21 PM
I will never enter an official competition. Great for all of you people that do. The only competitions I'll have is with my friends, because that's why I play, to have fun with my friends. All this talk about who is better, who cares? Use the character you want to use. Just have fun with it. I mean I can beat my friends with Mewtwo, it's hard, which makes it tons of fun. Just have fun and don't worry about who is "better" because a character can only be as good as the person playing it.

THE JACKAL

The people who care are the people who play at top level. It's fine to just play who you want at a basic level (everyone will just be smashing or item whoring anyway), but the more seriously you take the game, the more the tiers come into effect.

It's not the case that people want to all play the best character, the tiers were created so that different competitions could be arranged for them.

ljkkjlcm9
06-08-2006, 12:17 AM
The people who care are the people who play at top level. It's fine to just play who you want at a basic level (everyone will just be smashing or item whoring anyway), but the more seriously you take the game, the more the tiers come into effect.

It's not the case that people want to all play the best character, the tiers were created so that different competitions could be arranged for them.
I guarantee I can play at top level. In fact I know I can because I've played people who go to competitions and do pretty well and beaten them. I just don't like people that take games too seriously, it is just a game. Oh, and many people see the tiers and go, oh I should play as him to crush my friends! It's all about fun, that's what games were designed for.

THE JACKEL

Ultima Shadow
06-08-2006, 09:18 AM
I guarantee I can play at top level. In fact I know I can because I've played people who go to competitions and do pretty well and beaten them. I just don't like people that take games too seriously, it is just a game. Oh, and many people see the tiers and go, oh I should play as him to crush my friends! It's all about fun, that's what games were designed for.

THE JACKAL
Agreed. When I play in a tourney, I still go with my old favs. Ganondorf isn't top tier, but I still play him as my main in official competitions because he simply is my fav to play with. I play Marth as my second main, but not because he's top tier but rather because he was the first character I ever picked up and thus I've liked him from the very begining. But even if I have the odds against me... like... fighting a Falco at FD, I'd still stick with Ganondorf. So what if I lose? Who cares? I'd gladly accept any challange, but you can't always win anyways. The reason I even play in official competitions is because I want challange, not because I want to win badly.

Lawr
07-04-2006, 12:44 AM
I can dominate all my friends with Mr.Game and watch. He has this
little hammer thing that kills, and Luigi has a similar move that uppercut is supposed to ONE HIT people with a lot of DMG%.

I'm my best with Marth, Ganandorf, MR.Game and Watch, Luigi, and Fox.

NeoCracker
07-04-2006, 04:58 AM
Personally I think they should work on character balance a bit more so the teirs won't have as much of an effect. I'll just assume what I said their makes sense.

But yes, I tend to stick with my favorites as well. Like Ganon, he's fun.

In addition, I think I have found a way to use explosion kick. However it will only work if you do it with a second player. And I havn't tryed it yet, so I can't garuntee anything.

Lionx
07-04-2006, 10:23 AM
Tiers will happen no matter what, unless every character is the same. So theres bound to be tiers...although i wish low vs top isnt as big of a difference still. Fox is total bull...his shine is too powerful >< But i can chaingrab him with my Marth so lalalalalala..

Emerald weapon
07-04-2006, 11:17 AM
Falco is my favourite,he has speed and strength and all the decent moves fox has but stronger plus if you fall off falco is an amzing jumper and his fire uppercut thing helps aswell

Lionx
07-04-2006, 11:23 AM
Falco falls like a brick...moreso than Fox if i remember right..>_>

Rocket Edge
07-04-2006, 12:02 PM
Pika all the way, yeeeeeeeeeeea boy!

Craig
07-04-2006, 01:06 PM
Young Link is the MAN.

DanteV9
07-04-2006, 11:53 PM
Link is my best character, so naturally I choose him. Falco and C. Falcon are also great characters.

Doomie
07-04-2006, 11:56 PM
Ganondorf, Zelda, then Marth are my top three. Though, I haven't played in a good year.

Ultima Shadow
07-08-2006, 12:08 AM
...although i wish low vs top isnt as big of a difference still.Agreed. For example... Falco/C.Falcon/Sheik/Marth VS Bowser= Totally hopeless.

And I seriously hope there won't be any broken moves in brawl. Broken moves= Both Shine's, Chain Grabs (sorry Linox :p), Peach's Down Smash, Falco's Laser and Fox's Up Aerial/Up Smash/Whatever "Up-something" move that stupid little Fox got. >_<

Tifa's Real Lover(really
07-08-2006, 02:11 AM
Falco is my favourite,he has speed and strength and all the decent moves fox has but stronger plus if you fall off falco is an amzing jumper and his fire uppercut thing helps aswell
isnt foxes moves stronger than falco's? :confused:

Ultima Shadow
07-08-2006, 11:23 AM
isnt foxes moves stronger than falco's? :confused:
Falco's "stronger" moves:
Side Smash
Down Smash
Up B (but less range)
Side B (but less range)
Down Aerial
Neutral Aerial
Back Aerial
Laser
Down Tilt and possibly the other tilts except Up Tilt.

Fox's "stronger" moves:
Up Smash
Up Aerial
Up Tilt
SHINE! (Falco's is damn good too, though)

ff_sweden
07-08-2006, 11:31 AM
Marth is nr 1 of course:D

NorthernChaosGod
07-09-2006, 05:44 AM
My best character in either game was always Fox. So naturally I choose him when I play, for the most part. Other characters that I rotate to include: Marth, Falco, C. Falcon, Ganondorf, and Samus.

While I do think, for the most part, that no character is really better than any other, because a truly skilled played can use any of them, some of the characters downright suck with no matter who uses them, I.E Mewtwo.

Zeromus_X
07-09-2006, 05:51 AM
I remember my Mother 2-loving friend totally owned with Ness at a tournament once. I have not clue about anything about this game however, I only played the N64 one a few times. Although if I ever get a Gamecube, I will get this game.

Northcrest
07-20-2006, 03:33 AM
Captain Falcon I think is the best. I'm also good with Mario and Roy.

Blitz Ace
07-20-2006, 03:42 AM
Ganondorf is cool, even though hes similar to C. Falcon, his attacks are stronger, so i like him. i also like Kirby, even though he is weaker.

Kuroshima
07-20-2006, 03:42 AM
LINK!!!!!

Pure Aerisbeauty7
07-20-2006, 05:23 PM
I'm best with Link and Zelda. I play as Link most of the time and usually I win. Same with Zelda. There're both my favorite characters.:) :kaocheer: