PDA

View Full Version : DS + Wii = <3

Roto13
06-07-2006, 09:37 PM
Hekeke (http://uk.kotaku.com/gaming/top/wii-ship-date-announced-around-sept-178969.php)

More deets on Wii-DS connectivity, as well as some more juicy bits.

Elite Lord Sigma
06-07-2006, 09:46 PM
The Wii seems to get better and better every day. :D

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-07-2006, 09:46 PM
Downloading DS demos from the Wii is a great idea. He also said that Wii units will be sold at a loss, making that $199 price point more likely than ever.

I Took the Red Pill
06-07-2006, 09:49 PM
Nintendo=Smart=Clever=Cheap=:)

Roto13
06-07-2006, 09:49 PM
Downloading DS demos from the Wii is a great idea. He also said that Wii units will be sold at a loss, making that $199 price point more likely than ever.
I don't think they've ever sold at a loss before.

KentaRawr!
06-07-2006, 09:53 PM
Well that rocks. :) It's good to know I can download Demos not only from gaming stores, but from the Wii as well. More convenience for all! :D Kinda odd that they'd sell their systems at a loss, but I guess that's to attract more non-gamers. After people purchase the Wii, the Wii Games and the Downloadable Games will probably make them the moneyz. :choc2:

Fire_Emblem776
06-07-2006, 11:11 PM

I can afford one now !!:love:

Roto13
06-08-2006, 12:15 AM
Kinda odd that they'd sell their systems at a loss
Sony and Microsoft do it. But yeah, it's odd for Nintendo to do it.

ljkkjlcm9
06-08-2006, 12:18 AM
well I heard they may even go as low as 150, which would make sense that's a loss, but imagine, 1 Wii for a quarter of the price of a PS3, just seems way too obvious a choice.

THE JACKEL

Rase
06-08-2006, 12:25 AM
He also said that Wii units will be sold at a loss, making that $199 price point more likely than ever.
That's the main point that caught my eye, and I've got to say it just made my day. :D

escobert
06-08-2006, 12:41 AM

Hawkeye
06-08-2006, 12:52 AM
The Wii is going to be the only game system I'm going to look foward getting in about 5 years. I should probably pick up a DS then as well.

DeathKnight
06-08-2006, 06:07 AM

Samuraid
06-08-2006, 06:55 AM
Nintendo definitely has done an excellent job this year with basically everything. :)

Dreddz
06-08-2006, 06:09 PM
Nintendo have really pulled through ,now im convinced, im going to get it at launch.

Markus. D
06-08-2006, 08:14 PM
I am getting one when it arrives in AU.

but.... I must say, Super Mario Galaxy looks meh....

a nirvana fan
06-08-2006, 08:39 PM
I dont like DS' one bit, there boring and lame. PSPs are simply way more amazing!

And for the Wii, well I cant judge yet but the PS3 will own its ass.

JKTrix
06-09-2006, 02:13 PM
Thank you roto. Now that I'm here, we can form the Nintendo News Tag Team.

Iwata did say that the Wii will be sold at a slight loss, but it's nowhere near the levels of the 360 or PS3 I'm sure. Perhaps they're including a 2nd Wiimote/Nunchuck, maybe that's the 'loss' :p

I dont like DS' one bit, there boring and lame. PSPs are simply way more amazing!

I'm not sure if this was sarcasm, so I'll consider it ignorance. To avoid a completely one-sided post, I'll just list Pros and Cons of both. I personally own both systems (2 DSes actually... original and an imported blue DS lite). Some of the DS's pros are probably mirrored in the Wii as well.

--DS--
Pros:
-Immediate access to over 1000 GBA games
-All of Nintendo's franchises have/will soon have real games for it (New Pokemon RPG coming, Zelda later this year)
-Totally fresh, original games
-'New' ways to play old games
-Free, easy to use WiFi
-Numerous high quality, pure fun games
-Innovative and intuitive, taking games in a new direction
-Long battery life (even longer with the DS lite)
-DS lite's screen is super bright
-Superior buttons/d-pad (especially on the DS lite)
-Cheaper than its primary competition
-Zero load time

Cons:
-Some games are shallow and gimmicky
-Graphics won't be as pretty as some of the better looking games on PSP

--PSP--
Pros:
-It's exactly what it says: a Portable Playstation. Same games
-"Sexy"
-Higher graphical potential
-Can play movies right out of the box
-Starting to get some good original, quality games
-Good homebrew scene

Cons:
-It's exactly what it says: a Portable Playstation. Port-zilla
-Some of these ports feel awkward without a 2nd analog
-The analog that's there is awkward anyway. The Directional buttons aren't the greatest either
-A lot of the games suck
-Battery life isn't so hot
-Sometimes excruciating load times
-You pay a premium for the extra features (more expensive)
-The UMD format, in terms of movies, is dying. I'm not sure what movie studios outside of Sony are still releasing new movies on UMD (If BluRay goes the way of Betamax and UMD, Sony could be in trouble)

As a game system, the DS(lite) outshines the PSP (literally). It's different, it's cheaper, it's new, it's fun, and definitely durable. I dropped my DS countless times, and my DS lite quite a few times already, and it works perfectly. I'm afraid to drop my PSP for fear it'll shatter into a million little fingerprint-smudged pieces. DS has access to way more games, especially with the backwards compatibility. The DS/GBA also has the ability to play videos and music with another piece of software, so that already negates one of PSP's advantages.

Dreddz
06-09-2006, 04:54 PM
Dont counter opinion with opinion, none of what you said is fact, only your opinion.

Roto13
06-09-2006, 05:17 PM
Dont counter opinion with opinion, none of what you said is fact, only your opinion.
Some are facts. Access to 1000+ GBA games, cheaper, more durable, more battery life. You can't really claim these things aren't true. In fact, only the following points are a matter of opinion:

DS Pros

-easy to use WiFi (you can't deny the first part of this point, that it's free)

Cons:

PSP Pros

-"Sexy"
-Good homebrew scene

Cons:

-The analog that's there is awkward anyway. The Directional buttons aren't the greatest either
-A lot of the games suck

And kind of this one:

-The UMD format, in terms of movies, is dying. I'm not sure what movie studios outside of Sony are still releasing new movies on UMD (If BluRay goes the way of Betamax and UMD, Sony could be in trouble)

Mirage
06-09-2006, 05:29 PM
And UMD being a failure as a movie format isn't just an opinion. It really is dying.

And for the Wii, well I cant judge yet but the PS3 will own its ass.
You do realize that you judged it just now, right?

jesteranimefreak
06-09-2006, 06:02 PM
DS + Wii > PSP + PS3 in terms of possibilities

PSP + PS3 > DS + Wii in terms of Money spent buying them :D

Dreddz
06-09-2006, 09:00 PM
Some are facts. Access to 1000+ GBA games, cheaper, more durable, more battery life. You can't really claim these things aren't true. In fact, only the following points are a matter of opinion:

DS Pros

-easy to use WiFi (you can't deny the first part of this point, that it's free)

Cons:

PSP Pros

-"Sexy"
-Good homebrew scene

Cons:

-A lot of the games suck

And kind of this one:

Well, I wasnt referring to it all, mainly what you said.
I was more referring top his/her last comment

As a game system, the DS(lite) outshines the PSP

Roto13
06-09-2006, 09:10 PM
Well, I wasnt referring to it all, mainly what you said.

Then you should make sure that you choose your words more carefully in the future.

Dreddz
06-09-2006, 09:12 PM
I will.

KentaRawr!
06-09-2006, 09:18 PM
Let's try to make sure this doesn't turn into a PSP vs DS thread. That would be mean. :mad2:

About the news announced... I wonder how much they will use this connectivity idea. Probably alot, because being able to play demos of up-coming games from your own home is just... so awesome. I hope that it's used for not only up-coming games, but for games that are already out as well. Demos of the games, of course. But that's just a hope. :p

But I wonder if it will go beyond demos? What kind of things await us in the future? Only time can tell, and I forgot to put in the crystals. :cry:

Lychon
06-11-2006, 01:03 AM
Let's try to make sure this doesn't turn into a PSP vs DS thread. That would be mean. :mad2:

Exactly, because we all know that Nintendo would smurfing walk all over Sony and its failing PSP. The Wii is going to absolutely massacre the PS3. And whoever said that the PS3 is better than the Wii needs some serious reevaluation of his/her ideas. Playstation owes its entire existence to smurfing Nintendo, and the mere fact that Nintendo is still dominating a good deal of the gaming industry (despite lack of third party support) is simply more testimony to its greatness. Show some smurfing gratitude.

NINTENDO FOR SMURFING EVER!!!!

-LYCHON

fantasyjunkie
06-11-2006, 09:23 AM
That is sooooooo true!

escobert
06-11-2006, 10:02 AM

Exactly, because we all know that Nintendo would smurfing walk all over Sony and its failing PSP. The Wii is going to absolutely massacre the PS3. And whoever said that the PS3 is better than the Wii needs some serious reevaluation of his/her ideas. Playstation owes its entire existence to smurfing Nintendo, and the mere fact that Nintendo is still dominating a good deal of the gaming industry (despite lack of third party support) is simply more testimony to its greatness. Show some smurfing gratitude.

NINTENDO FOR SMURFING EVER!!!!

-LYCHON
calm down :/