PDA

View Full Version : In all honesty... I think smiling is a form of insecurity.

Dr. Casey
06-08-2006, 08:20 AM
People feel compelled to make sure people know what they're feeling, so they smile rather than just take the risk of letting others assume what they're feeling.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-08-2006, 08:25 AM
That's wonderful, Casey.

Yamaneko
06-08-2006, 08:27 AM
It takes less facial muscles to form a smile than something resembling a frown. Your chin, lower lip, and upper lip are most comfortable in a smiling-like position.

rubah
06-08-2006, 08:27 AM
Sometimes you just can't help it.

~*~Celes~*~
06-08-2006, 08:29 AM
I naturally frown though because of genetics though. It bothers me to no end :( is there any way to fix it?

-N-
06-08-2006, 08:29 AM
You don't frown because of genetics. You frown because you're miserable.

:)

*logs back out to save money*

Captain Maxx Power
06-08-2006, 10:25 AM
My face usually reflects my disposition; a relatively melanchony indifference.

Anaisa
06-08-2006, 10:50 AM
It takes less facial muscles to form a smile than something resembling a frown. Your chin, lower lip, and upper lip are most comfortable in a smiling-like position.
But it takes less muscle to not frown or smile. Plus you won't get any nasty frown or smile lines. My face is more comfortable expressionless. I hate smiling. An I don't like people smiling at me because then I've got to smile back, unless I want people to think I'm horrible.

Rostum
06-08-2006, 11:28 AM
I smile when I'm happy, I can not help it.

Rye
06-08-2006, 11:43 AM
I think smiling is a form of showing the emotion of happiness, personally. :) :) :) :) :) :)

~SapphireStar~
06-08-2006, 12:20 PM

I was told that in high school cause I was a miserable teen and rarely smiled. Still the same way now.

Cz
06-08-2006, 01:09 PM
People smile as a way of expressing happiness. Simple enough.

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
06-08-2006, 01:21 PM
yeah i can be read like an open book but i smile all the time...cant help it lol

Levian
06-08-2006, 02:10 PM
Oh no, someone may assume what I'm feeling. Quick, smile! :eek:

Your chin, lower lip, and upper lip are most comfortable in a smiling-like position.

My upper lip is most comfortable on your lower lip, sugarbuns.

Ki Ki
06-08-2006, 03:42 PM
I think smiling makes people alot more approachable. I mean as far as I can remember, I've never actually spoken to anyone who never smiled at me.
I don't know why.
I just think that when people smile at you it's like they're saying "Hey I am nice come and talk to me". :D
And as for me, I'm not always smiling into thin air but I smile at people. Probably because of how I think it makes me look friendlier, not because I'm insecure! :choc2:

Chris
06-08-2006, 03:50 PM
A smile is a smile. It's as simple as that. Do I smile to cover up what I really feel? No, I don't. I smile because it is polite to do so. I might be having a bad day, but I still smile at people. You get what you attract.

Jess
06-08-2006, 04:17 PM
I smile a lot, because I'm happy. I still smile if I'm pissed off though, but that's just to be polite if somebody smiles at me. :jess:

FallenAngel411
06-08-2006, 04:29 PM
I smile all the time. I can't help it. I'm happy, I smile. I'm pissed off, I smile. Someone's cat just got run over, I giggle. Its sick. I think I'm the spawn of Satan. :laugh:

Old Manus
06-08-2006, 05:28 PM
Cue loads of people saying 'omgf i hate smiling because everyone does it and i want to be unique and nonconformist'

Roto13
06-08-2006, 05:37 PM
I smile from time to time. The rest of the time I have a paper bag over my face and I'm crying.

lovehurts
06-08-2006, 05:40 PM
This may also entail that all facial expressions are a form insecurity? when I frown is that insecure ? When I smile? It may all be true. Interesting theory. It's hard for me to express myself and to express how I feel about things but I'll say that I think it's a brillant theory.

When good things happen in our lives we smile because its a conditioned response for us to take advantage of how we feel to express ourselves. I mean when you get a girl friend you smile for a few reasons.

.unlike chimpazines who frown when they are happy due to some form of conditioning we smile to show that we are happy but also because:

a. We are taking advantage of the good feeling and want it to reflect our vivid nature

b. It draws attention to us and people see us as happy and we want to be seen that way because we feel good in general

c. We want the good feelings to last so we embrace it with a smile and start to try to play into and live into the feelings as much as possible.We want to believe that we are happy and we try to live up to it . One thing we do usually is smile.

An example of the idea in c, when 2 teens date. They play parts. Oh, Im so happy this is love...smile smiles...
The average teen relationship lasts no longer than a few years and the smiles stop at the end of a year or 2.... this is just an example it's not a "set in stone example"

We smile to take advantage of our feelings to express ourselves.Also for to give attention to our selves and to others in order to help build our personal characterization upon how it reacts to certain situations and what we consider humorous and as to what we enjoy, which shows comfront in others because you allow yourself to freely express your personal feelings of what you feel humorous this is the conscious thought behind it.

However, if you consider the infinite factor that no one knows anyone 100% and that laughing or smiling is just a conditioned response for us to take advantage of how we feel to express ourselves. Then I guess that because no one knows no one 100% that you could be considered insecure because you need to show people how you feel as if they dont know you well enough to know how you would have feelt without the aid of facial expression.....

It's a good theory but I could debate either side.

Resha
06-08-2006, 05:58 PM
I love smiling at people! When they smile back, and even if they're just some random stranger on the street, I feel like we're kindred spirits or friends of a sort. Haha, can't help it.

lovehurts
06-08-2006, 06:05 PM
babbies do smile alot...

FallenAngel411
06-08-2006, 06:08 PM
I wonder if smiling when you're happy is instinctual or conditioned. Like if it was custom to glare when you're happy and smile when you're sad, would our entire spectrum of expressions be reversed simply through human will? IS IT ALL JUST A SCAM? DOES ANYTHING MEAN ANYTHING AT ALL? DO I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT? O__O

Miriel
06-08-2006, 06:11 PM
I smile when I'm happy, I can not help it.

lovehurts
06-08-2006, 06:20 PM
I wonder if smiling when you're happy is instinctual or conditioned. Like if it was custom to glare when you're happy and smile when you're sad, would our entire spectrum of expressions be reversed simply through human will? IS IT ALL JUST A SCAM? DOES ANYTHING MEAN ANYTHING AT ALL? DO I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT? O__O
AS I mentioned ealier , which I doubt you read . Who am I to talk...
Anyways, Chimpazines frown when they are happy and smile when they are sad. This could be because of there muscle configuration or it could be because of there brains. Humans and babbies most likely smile because the feeling is easy . The muscles allow us to do so easily and it feels good to do. Prehaps it is harder for a chimp to smile. Or maybe its their wild instinctive animal behavior to condition themselves to frown instead because they enjoy the slight slight sporty resistance and strain that they put on themselves durring those early stages of development to force a frown instead of a smile , their loud communication and lip configuration suggest that they preferr a harder form of expression than humans have taken to undergo they used un-developed muslces to force a frown.

They are loud throughout their whole lifes they are wild nosiy animals without civilization as ours.
They arent as considerate about noise level.

Humans as babbies are loud and noisy whiny little critures which develop into a society with appreciation for" peace and quiet"and we become considerate of our noise levels and dont yell all the time. When monkeys and chimps talk or communicate it is always loud and wild .

The only reason they use facial expression is because they are more intelligent than most animals the reason it is different than ours is because of their muscle configuration or because of there wild animal inherited configurations.

We smile because we want to in all cases.

Zeldy
06-08-2006, 06:38 PM
Im going to have such prominent smile lines when Im older. I smile so much, and I have such a big smile xD
Such a small thing as smiling changes all of your facial features. People smile because they are happy, and when someone smiles to cover up their sadness will eventually crack.

Anaisa
06-08-2006, 07:29 PM
AS I mentioned ealier , which I doubt you read . Who am I to talk...
Anyways, Chimpazines frown when they are happy and smile when they are sad. This could be because of there muscle configuration or it could be because of there brains. Humans and babbies most likely smile because the feeling is easy . The muscles allow us to do so easily and it feels good to do. Prehaps it is harder for a chimp to smile. Or maybe its their wild instinctive animal behavior to condition themselves to frown instead because they enjoy the slight slight sporty resistance and strain that they put on themselves durring those early stages of development to force a frown instead of a smile , their loud communication and lip configuration suggest that they preferr a harder form of expression than humans have taken to undergo they used un-developed muslces to force a frown.

They are loud throughout their whole lifes they are wild nosiy animals without civilization as ours.
They arent as considerate about noise level.

Humans as babbies are loud and noisy whiny little critures which develop into a society with appreciation for" peace and quiet"and we become considerate of our noise levels and dont yell all the time. When monkeys and chimps talk or communicate it is always loud and wild .

The only reason they use facial expression is because they are more intelligent than most animals the reason it is different than ours is because of their muscle configuration or because of there wild animal inherited configurations.

We smile because we want to in all cases.
Not all Animals are physically capable of facial expressions, it doesn't mean they are less intelligent. Chimps do actually smile. They usually frown as a sign of aggression or sadness. You can see some examples of Chimp expressions here:http://www.chimpanzoo.org/african_notecards/chapter_18.html

lovehurts
06-08-2006, 07:51 PM
hm, That's interesting I always thought they smiled when sad.

http://www.darwin-literature.com/The_Expression_Of_The_Emotions_In_Man_And_Animals/5.html

Here is another interesting link.
A "grin" is not always an angry expression... it can be a happy feeling too.
I guess thats true with humans too though.

Here is another cool link

http://www.billybear4kids.com/Rozi/expressions.html

LOL check this one out.

http://www.discoverchimpanzees.org/activities/ident-a-chimp-expressions.php

I found no information saying that they frown when they are happy. I found it before but I can't find it now so going on about that is pointless.

Fun links though.

RPJesus
06-08-2006, 08:42 PM
Smiling just happens. And people do it differently. like some people smile lots, others don't. I don't smile or laugh much. Partly because I'm a miserable fidget, but because my face, too, is not that enthusiastic. My smiles are little and my laughs quietish. And my bunnies numerous.

So some obnoxious people laugh painfully loudly and stretch up their stupid faces grinning like twits.
But no one's insecure for it. If you're really hiding sadness behind that fleeting smile, blame the other guy for not noticing. It's his lack of social skills. :)

Master Quan
06-08-2006, 08:58 PM

I'm pretty sure the face is most comfortable when it is neither frowning or smiling.

Also, that's a bull/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif excuse anyway, because if you've spent most of your life frowning, and not smiling, the frowning ones are going to be stronger, and the smiling ones will be weaker.

rubah
06-08-2006, 09:08 PM
Are they all different muscles?

lovehurts
06-08-2006, 09:21 PM
does it take more muscles to have a straight face than it does to smile? Does it or doesnt? I dont realy know...

Master Quan
06-08-2006, 09:27 PM
Are they all different muscles?

The two expressions are likely to have a few muscles in common.

fantasyjunkie
06-09-2006, 08:49 AM
I smile from being HAPPY!!! WOOHOO!!! YAY!!! WEE!!!!!!! :)

Meow
06-09-2006, 09:35 AM
And you don't have to waste all that energy to frown either, because wearing a spiked dog collar says all that really needs saying about one's basic outlook on life.

Loony BoB
06-09-2006, 11:11 AM
Sometimes I smile without even realising it. I'm sitting around at work thinking of something (or someone) that makes me happy, and then someone asks what I'm smiling about. I don't even notice it. I smile a lot when there is nobody else around, too. Insecurity? No, sir. Maybe sometimes, but most certainly not all of the time.

My face naturally frowns when I'm thinking seriously on something, and it naturally smiles when I'm around someone I love. It would probably be more of an effort to not smile when I'm around Danielle than it would be to smile, so maybe that whole muscle-usage thing is just a load of bollocks.

Anaisa
06-09-2006, 12:42 PM
And you don't have to waste all that energy to frown either, because wearing a spiked dog collar says all that really needs saying about one's basic outlook on life.
Not if you are actually a Dog though. Of the animal variety that is.

Croyles
06-09-2006, 01:35 PM
People feel compelled to make sure people know what they're feeling, so they smile rather than just take the risk of letting others assume what they're feeling.

I doubt it. In all honesty, it sounds like a justification for yourself to me. But i could be completely wrong.

Dr. Casey
06-14-2006, 03:47 AM
That's wonderful, Casey.

I never thought you'd say anything this nice to me, Ryűkishi...

Thank you.

Hambone
06-14-2006, 04:26 AM
aww, well aren't you a little goth. No, I'm just kidding. I don't smile. I like not smiling. I have a terrinble smile anyway.

xX.Silver.Wings.Xx
06-14-2006, 01:01 PM
Sometimes you smile or laugh as a defencive mechanism... it's called Gallow's Laughter.. when you laugh when someone dies or something... not because you think it's funny.. just because it's a reaction you can't help... (I think that was Freud.... maybe... I forgot... :()

Madame Adequate
06-14-2006, 01:38 PM
Sometimes you smile or laugh as a defencive mechanism... it's called Gallow's Laughter.. when you laugh when someone dies or something... not because you think it's funny.. just because it's a reaction you can't help... (I think that was Freud.... maybe... I forgot... :()

Oh, that actually has a name? I do that all the time, when I'm delivering bad news. I have to hide my face half the time.

No.78
06-14-2006, 02:45 PM

I find smiling uncomfortable, and I can't do it properly unless someone makes me laugh. Other times, I tend to force a smile as opposed to saying hello to someone as I walk past... But I think most of the time they get the wrong idea, because, I can't smile.

KentaRawr!
06-14-2006, 05:05 PM
We should tape our mouths shut so that we can't smile. Thank you Dr. Casey! :D

RPJesus
06-14-2006, 05:24 PM
Some people have naturally frowny or smiley faces.
I'm just horrible, apparently, because I always look so pissed (but that's just my huge eyebrow head crushing the rest of my face). Really, sometimes I look like I'm frowning. People say 'what's wrong?' and I don't get it. My dad always looks pissed, whether he is or not.
And some people always look a bit like they're smiling. Like Ville Valo... though, that might just be because he's drunk.

So maybe it can depend on the person.

Laugh at face of Danger
06-14-2006, 05:43 PM
It comes form a doctor (pyramid of dots :D) therefore i must take the counter side.

I smile because i'm happy, because words don't explain what i feel :)

Alive-Cat
06-14-2006, 09:59 PM
As a kid I never smiled unless someone gave me a reason to. I can honestly say that if I totally relaxed my jaw and mouth, it would go into a slightly downward curled straight line. Not as frowny as a frown, though.
But yep, for about the past 6 months I've been smiling all the time, it's pretty cool. And yeah, I guess it is an insecurity, for me, anyway. I DO want people to know I'm happy.

escobert
06-14-2006, 10:07 PM
I must be a very insecure person! I thought I was happy :(

Lionx
06-14-2006, 11:46 PM
Because i am too lazy to frown.

Mum
06-16-2006, 01:08 AM
Smiling is infectious,
you catch it like the flu,
When someone smiled at me today,
I started smiling too.

I passed around the corner
and someone saw my grin
When he smiled I realized
I'd passed it on to him .

I thought about that smile
then I realized its worth,
A single smile, just like mine
could travel round the earth.

So, if you feel a smile begin,
don't leave it undetected
Let's start an epidemic quick,
and get the world infected!

G SpOtZ
06-16-2006, 01:12 AM
Oh no, someone may assume what I'm feeling. Quick, smile! :eek:

Your chin, lower lip, and upper lip are most comfortable in a smiling-like position.

My upper lip is most comfortable on your lower lip, sugarbuns.
That made me smile.

Anaisa
06-16-2006, 01:17 AM
Smiling is infectious,
you catch it like the flu,
When someone smiled at me today,
I started smiling too.

I passed around the corner
and someone saw my grin
When he smiled I realized
I'd passed it on to him .

I thought about that smile
then I realized its worth,
A single smile, just like mine
could travel round the earth.

So, if you feel a smile begin,
don't leave it undetected
Let's start an epidemic quick,
and get the world infected!
Good idea. That way when they've all got big smile lines, they can come to my beauty salon to get botoxed, an I'll be a rich lady. :D

-N-
06-16-2006, 02:59 AM
BoB's mum!

Vincent, Thunder God
06-16-2006, 11:59 PM

I disagree. Smiling is a reflex that most people have when something occurs to make them happy or laugh. Occasionally people will try to do a fake smile, and in that case they may well be insecure of something. But you can't just generalize on much-used social reflex.