PDA

View Full Version : whats the code?

Tifa's Real Lover(really
06-08-2006, 05:59 PM
i have no idea how to find the wep key number of my router, im trying to connect to it but all i need is the web key or network connection number thing any idea how i might find it?

crono_logical
06-08-2006, 06:40 PM
Open your router's administration page (see the manual, usually something similar to browsing to http://192.168.0.1 - you'll need to know the admin username/password if they're set), and set the WEP key to something you know :p

Renmiri
06-08-2006, 06:49 PM
Go to the PC that has the router and run the router program. You should be able to see the WEP key there.

Mine is Earthlink and I use IE to login into my router, by giving it an IP address instead of an URL

Tifa's Real Lover(really
06-09-2006, 01:11 AM
how do u run the router program?i dont have the manuel anymore

rubah
06-09-2006, 04:59 AM
Router program?

Do as clout tells you.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
06-09-2006, 02:37 PM
i dont have the manuel:(

rubah
06-09-2006, 05:25 PM
if you can see it to tell what kind it is, portforward.com can tell you most the other default settings for it. You don't need to follow the directions on the site though, just use it to find your router and what the address it and the default login info.

Samuraid
06-09-2006, 09:30 PM
What brand of router do you have?

Tifa's Real Lover(really
06-09-2006, 10:58 PM
WEST8598

Samuraid
06-09-2006, 11:22 PM
One of these?
http://www.westell.com/pages/products/products.jsp

o_O
06-09-2006, 11:38 PM
Do the following to access your router:

Start > Run
Type "cmd" in the box and hit enter.
At the prompt, type "ipconfig" and hit enter.
Make a note of the value beside "Default gateway".
Use your internet browser to go to the default gateway address.

Note that as clout said earlier, you may need to know the username/password.
Some common ones are admin/admin or admin/password.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
06-10-2006, 12:01 AM
One of these?
http://www.westell.com/pages/products/products.jsp
yes i have the third one on the picture

thanks O_o

Samuraid
06-10-2006, 12:28 AM
Ok, it looks like the router's defaults are:
IP: 192.168.1.1
User: admin
Password: password

You should be able to get to the login screen by entering 192.168.1.1 into the address bar of your browser and loading the page. Make sure you connect to the router from a computer that is directly connected with a cable (not through a wireless connection).

The WEP keys should be accessable through one of the router's configuration screens. I don't know much more than that since I've never used that specific router before.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
06-10-2006, 12:53 AM
You should be able to get to the login screen by entering 192.168.1.1 into the address bar of your browser and loading the page. Make sure you connect to the router from a computer that is directly connected with a cable (not through a wireless connection).

im trying to connect with the wireless connection

Samuraid
06-10-2006, 12:58 AM
That may not work, depending on how the router is configured, especially if the wireless is encrypted and you don't have the WEP key. :p If you have a short ethernet cable, you should use it to connect your computer directly to the router. At least until you can get the WEP key set up correctly.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
06-10-2006, 01:37 AM
That may not work, depending on how the router is configured, especially if the wireless is encrypted and you don't have the WEP key. :p .
thats why i came here xD i thought u smart computer folks knew how to fix it

Samuraid
06-10-2006, 02:08 AM
There's no other solution but to access the router though a computer connected with an ethernet cable then. Or you could reset your router to the default settings and then reconfigure everything.

o_O
06-10-2006, 06:06 AM
Keep in mind that if you do a factory reset on the modem, you will need to manually enter your username and password for your ISP into it again manually.
If it currently has WEP or WPA enabled, you'll need to re-enable it manually too.
It's probably not that hard, but you may need to call your ISP if you can't remember your password.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
06-10-2006, 03:57 PM
aggggg ok ill do it

Renmiri
06-11-2006, 12:21 AM
Yes, we are knowledgeable on computers but not magic ;) There is no way to see your router WEP key (if you don't know it already) without connecting a computer directly to the router. That is the purpose of WEP and WPA: Security, so that no cyber thief on your neighborhood can penetrate your home network and surf the net using your login, unless they know the WEP key they are out of luck. And WEP keys are big enough to be statistically proven to be unbreakable on the next 5,000 years, if some thief was using a program to guess it.

The FBI, CIA or DOD might be able to guess your WEP key using a wireless computer, but you should do it the easy way and connect via an Ethernet cable ;)

o_O
06-11-2006, 12:46 AM
Yes, we are knowledgeable on computers but not magic ;) There is no way to see your router WEP key (if you don't know it already) without connecting a computer directly to the router. That is the purpose of WEP and WPA: Security, so that no cyber thief on your neighborhood can penetrate your home network and surf the net using your login, unless they know the WEP key they are out of luck. And WEP keys are big enough to be statistically proven to be unbreakable on the next 5,000 years, if some thief was using a program to guess it.

The FBI, CIA or DOD might be able to guess your WEP key using a wireless computer, but you should do it the easy way and connect via an Ethernet cable ;)

Actually, WEP keys are very easily cracked, and can be, using only about 3,000,000 packets of data (which equates to about 3-4 hours of packet sniffing). :p
WPA, however, is much harder to crack. The reason for this is, that although it uses the same algorithms as WEP, it rotates the key at a set interval instead of using the same key for the whole session, so by the time you acquire enough packets, the key has changed, and your cracked key is no longer valid.
Now WPA2, that's the way to go. AES in favour of RC4. :D

Samuraid
06-11-2006, 01:09 AM
Good thing Wifi doesn't use a 56-bit DES algorithm. :p Although that would be more secure than no encryption or filtering which is what many people still rely on these days. :p

rubah
06-11-2006, 05:32 AM
Our filter is miles of farmland and cedar trees. and technologically inept hicks.

Renmiri
06-11-2006, 06:56 AM
Our filter is miles of farmland and cedar trees. and technologically inept hicks.
Quite effective!

But in urban areas the spammers and credit card thiefs have been using unsecured wireless a lot so better use WPA and WEP keys.

Cool, I knew WPA was secure but not exactly how it worked! :love:

But none of those are match for the DOD and goverment in general. It is almost scary, they have some stuff you wouldn't believe, like "Tempest" stuff which allows them to read a computer screen through walls and from several feet away... So if you are 007 beware! :D

crono_logical
06-11-2006, 12:44 PM
Use, WPA keys at the very least, yeah. Don't bother with WEP, it's insecure, even if your router claims to not transmit what is called "weak IV" frames which was what the original cracking tools used - recent ones don't require capturing those any more. Like Face said, it only takes a few hours of sniffing to have enough data to almost certainly be able to crack the key, and that's with sniffing only. If you use an active type of attack to artificially increase traffic, the time required can be cut dramatically :p