PDA

View Full Version : Jade Empire V.S. Dragon Quest VIII

The Fat Bioware Nerd
06-09-2006, 01:07 AM
Which game do you perfer Jade Empire or Dragon Quest VIII? This is a tough choice for me to make because I like both these games despite their flaws. I think both of the stories in these games were interesting, one story was longer, than the other. One story had more depth, than the other. One story had well-developed, characters and the other story had under-developed, characters. One game had a bigger world to explore, than the other. One game had complex, real-time gameplay, and the other had simple turn-based gameplay. One had very beautiful, graphics that brought a sense of realism, to the overall game. One had cel-shaded graphics, that made the overall game look like an interactive, cartoon. One game had sparse, save points and the other game had unlimited, save points.

FallenAngel411
06-09-2006, 01:22 AM
Its a little weird comparing two games from completely seperate genres, but I guess between the two I prefer DQ. Because I've never played Jade Empire. :jess:

The Fat Bioware Nerd
06-09-2006, 01:25 AM
Well I thought it wasn't THAT weird considering they're both RPGs one just plays a little bit differently than the other.

JKTrix
06-09-2006, 02:07 AM
I think on a forum that is targeted to fans of Final Fantasy, the general population would sway on the side of a Japanese RPG. Then again, I could be wrong; I'm new here and don't know anyone.

The two are very different games (I do have both). I probably prefer Dragon Quest, mainly because it's longer and has varied sidequests with real rewards that add to the gameplay. Overall, it is a superior game from a veteran RPG maker (I guess there is a reason it's the #1 series in Japan, even above Final Fantasy). The old school turn based system is kinda tired, but not gamebreaking.

Jade Empire is probably the best RPG on the Xbox. Not really saying much, but it's good. Too easy though, and short. I would prefer a well thought out action combat system over a normal turn based system. Jade Empire's combat didn't really 'click' with me, but it's a step in a good direction.

Overall, Dragon Quest is the superior game, almost unfair to have Jade Empire compared to it.

Zeromus_X
06-09-2006, 02:16 AM
Probably Dragon Quest VIII. *eats more nostalgia*

~SapphireStar~
06-09-2006, 07:50 AM
Dragon Quest because it is more of an RPG , plus it didnt freeze up on me nonstop like JE did.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
06-10-2006, 02:06 AM
One thing I do like more about Jade Empire though is every single line of dialogue is voiced. It isn't like the original Kingdom Hearts where the voice overs are sparse, nope the voice overs are there from the beginning to the end but then again that's not saying much because Jade is probaby the shortest RPG ever created.

Madame Adequate
06-10-2006, 03:30 AM
Jade Empire quite clearly.

Yuffie514
06-10-2006, 09:54 AM
Dragon Quest VIII goes for the win. and that's another which makes the number 8 - a lucky number, instead of an unfortunate number...

My name is...something..?
06-10-2006, 10:18 AM
I'm giving it to Jade Empire.

I didn't like Dragon Quest VIII that much.:(

Alixsar
06-12-2006, 02:03 AM
Jade Empire was cool, but if I'm gonna play a game from Bioware I'm going to play Baldur's Gate 2. I mean, have you seen Jan Jansen? He's easily one of the coolest guys ever, if not the coolest.

DQVIII was okay, but now that I'm in college and am generally speaking either busy doing homework, at work, or drunk (or some mixture of the three) at any given time, I don't really have 80+ hours to throw down on a game anymore. And on top of that, Jessica has stupid hair. I'm not sure why Trunks had a rapier, either. And I feel that the fact that Goku can't go SS3 really held the game back (also, everyone knows that Saiyans don't have purple hair, how could they mix that up?). I'm not sure who came up with the character roster, either. Like I said earlier, Goku and Trunks are there, and so is Mr. Satan (although he lost a considerable amount of weight and his name was changed for some reason). The addition of a Tonberry of Final Fantasy fame was a welcome surprise, but I think more playable characters (Where's Gohan? Goten? Piccolo? Vegeta?!) and more battles that last 20+ episodes would've made DQVIII a much better game. As it stands now, it's only okay.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
06-13-2006, 04:17 PM
Jade Empire was cool, but if I'm gonna play a game from Bioware I'm going to play Baldur's Gate 2. I mean, have you seen Jan Jansen? He's easily one of the coolest guys ever, if not the coolest.

DQVIII was okay, but now that I'm in college and am generally speaking either busy doing homework, at work, or drunk (or some mixture of the three) at any given time, I don't really have 80+ hours to throw down on a game anymore. And on top of that, Jessica has stupid hair. I'm not sure why Trunks had a rapier, either. And I feel that the fact that Goku can't go SS3 really held the game back (also, everyone knows that Saiyans don't have purple hair, how could they mix that up?). I'm not sure who came up with the character roster, either. Like I said earlier, Goku and Trunks are there, and so is Mr. Satan (although he lost a considerable amount of weight and his name was changed for some reason). The addition of a Tonberry of Final Fantasy fame was a welcome surprise, but I think more playable characters (Where's Gohan? Goten? Piccolo? Vegeta?!) and more battles that last 20+ episodes would've made DQVIII a much better game. As it stands now, it's only okay.

I can't say that I have seen Jan Jansen the only Bioware games that I've played and beaten are Star Wars : Knights of the Old Republic and Jade Empire. But I recently bought a copy of Neverwinter Nights (Platinum Edition) and I'm playing that game but...GOD DAMN IT'S SLOW!!!:mad: I think another thing that Jade Empire has is better music my favorite track is the Closed Fist theme.