PDA

View Full Version : What's gaming law like outside the U.S.?

lazee
06-09-2006, 08:49 AM
It seems like here in the US we never get tired of making new laws about violent or sexually explicit video games. Several states now have their own laws on the books of some kind or another, with even more waiting to become law. (See map of gaming law courtesy of Gamepolitics.com: http://www.gamepolitics.com/legislation.htm)

One recent Minnesota bill levies a fine of $25 against any minor caught buying a Mature or Adult Only rated game. Apparently, previous efforts to fine the retailer, rather than the buyer, have been overturned by courts, so they decided to fine children instead... Yeah, that'll get through the courts. Another bill--which passed Wednesday through Louisiana's legislature unanimously and which Governer Blanco is expected to sign into law--can punish anyone who sells a game which meets certain criteria (see criteria and link to bill below)to minors with up to a year in prison (or as little as a $100 fine).

http://www.legis.state.la.us/billdata/streamdocument.asp?did=391732

So I was wondering about games legislation in countries other than the United States. Are we making fools of ourselves here, or is it pretty much the same in other places?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-09-2006, 10:27 AM
In Greece, video games were straight-up banned (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_electronic_game_ban) for a couple years. The justification was that it would help combat illegal gambling.

I don't think the States could pass any legislation more embarrassingly misguided than that.

Brian The Pink Shark
06-09-2006, 10:42 AM
i think here all games are legal but there are age restrictions on many games, however this doesnt reall work as every 7 year old has a copy of GTA :/ :choc:

Ultima Shadow
06-09-2006, 11:55 AM
i think here all games are legal but there are age restrictions on many games, however this doesnt reall work as every 7 year old has a copy of GTA :/ :choc:Same here. Pretty much anyone could get a copy of a 18+ game without taking any risks over here.

Madame Adequate
06-09-2006, 01:17 PM
Our laws in England are reasonably similar to the US - we just have PEGI (Used to be ELSPA), which is like the ESRB insofar as it has no legal power, it is simply a guideline. We also have the BBFC, who deal with pretty much all media, and if they slap a label on something then it does begin to carry legal weight, but I'm not sure of the specifics. They only step in when something is 18 (Roughly equivalent to R for you Americans).

I'm just glad I don't like in Australia, those guys are way uptight x_X

bipper
06-09-2006, 02:13 PM
Apparently, previous efforts to fine the retailer, rather than the buyer, have been overturned by courts, so they decided to fine children instead... Yeah, that'll get through the courts

Retarded logic. Liquor stores have a responability to card thier clientel. Why would the same get over turned in courts for video games? I genuinely hate video game politics.

bipper

XxSephirothxX
06-09-2006, 03:59 PM
In China, the government has a restriction in place that, after three hours of continued play, cuts the abilities of any online gamer's character in half. It reduces their abilities again after five hours of continued playing, and the only way to counter either of these restrictions is to be logged out for five hours. It only applies to minors, it seems, but it's still pretty crazy that the government can just step in and make your online game suck because you played it for three hours in a row. :p They also ban games just for having "inappropriate things" in them, although this is to be expected of China. Still, the fact that they banned Mahjong because it contains gambling is just ludicrous.

Dreddz
06-09-2006, 05:03 PM
Im pretty sure GTA is banned in Australia.
The UK is pretty much the same as the US. But talk about violent video games never arises here, only in the US.

fantasyjunkie
06-10-2006, 07:18 AM
We Americans can be such prudes. My 12 year old can buy a DVD copy of the Terminator but if she is even caught talking about playing GTA... :mad:

Zante
06-10-2006, 08:24 AM
I don't think we have any gaming laws here in Slovakia, or at least noone cares about them.

farplaner
06-10-2006, 08:29 AM
I don't pay much attention to video gaming laws, as I am not effected by them (being over 18) (not effected by laws pertaining to minors anyway). I was surprised though, upon playing an hour or two of "God of War," to see topless, sex-slave type females... it kind of made me laugh.

The Minnesota law about fining minors is ridiculous. It should be the responsibility of the retailers.

starseeker
06-10-2006, 11:44 AM
Yeah, in England, the PEGI ratings are semi enforced by shop staff. My sister (Yuffie the Dragon Ninja) once had to get mum to buy a game for her because she appeared to be under 15. I've never had shop staff ask me for my age or try and stop me buying games due to my age. I could probaby buy GTA if I wanted too (I look 14/15).

Meat Puppet
06-10-2006, 12:04 PM
Grand Theft Auto isn't banned in Australia. GTA III was banned but it was replaced with a censored version that doesn't let you pick up prostitutes (I bought this one second-hand (after losing my original) by accident :-\). I know Vice City is also censored in Australia, but I have no idea about San Andreas.

Slothy
06-10-2006, 02:16 PM
To be honest, I'm not aware of any video game law making in Canada. The politicians really don't seem to go after it as an easy campaign boost and if they tried I doubt it would work. People up here are far more concerned about what the government is doing on issues that matter like healthcare, education, and other social services. Honestly, I don't see much point in laws being made over this, many of the proposed laws are either impossible to enforce, or a total double standard when you take into account that no such laws exist for movies, books, etc. I'm all for not selling Mature games to minors and maybe we should have some way of penalizing retailers who fail to do this, but it should be the responsibility of the retailer, and the game industry to get their act together and in all fairness, the gaming industry is all for this as well.

NeoCracker
06-10-2006, 02:45 PM
Last I heard in washington state if you sell a mature video game as a minor its the same consequences as selling a cigarette to a minor.

Madame Adequate
06-10-2006, 03:23 PM
Last I heard in washington state if you sell a mature video game as a minor its the same consequences as selling a cigarette to a minor.

Impossible, because the classification system is a voluntary guideline, not a legal limitation. That is precisely why these laws always get struck down - they're trying to legally enforce what is an industry's own guideline, and aside from anything else the government hasn't done it's thing to see if it is effective.

Retarded logic. Liquor stores have a responability to card thier clientel. Why would the same get over turned in courts for video games? I genuinely hate video game politics.

Because selling liquor to minors is illegal. Selling videogames to minors is not. The ESRB is not a lawmaking or law enforcing body, it just creates guidelines. Games don't even have to go to the ESRB before they get released, but I suspect most stores won't sell the game if they do.