PDA

View Full Version : Interested in FF Story

General_Sun
06-10-2006, 03:41 AM
Hi guys, I want to read about the FF storyline, or watch it in movie form, or something...

So, since I have no desire to play 2d turn based RPGs, could someone point me to a compliation of cutscenes, storyline summaries, or simply fanfiction written about the games that would introduce me to the Final Fantasy world. I'm totally new to it as you can see. :D

I mostly want to watch Final Advent, but my friends tell me that I need to know some pre-requistes before I can watch it. So, I'm asking for those pre-requistes. Please point me to the finiest FF literature around. Thanks!

rubah
06-10-2006, 04:11 AM
or you could play ff7, which has 3d models! and terrible shading. and it isn't turn based at all!

Tavrobel
06-10-2006, 04:16 AM
Your desire to avoid the old-school games is painful and deeply regretable. But be that as it may...

This is a good place to start:
http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=84998

Ok, seriously, I redirect you to this:
http://www.eyesonff.com/

For fine FF literature, refer to this:
http://www.eyesonff.com/

To get over the fact that you have a fear of developing an imagination or an attention span, I refer you to this:
http://www.freewebs.com/twoleftsocks/choices.JPG

General_Sun
06-10-2006, 04:42 AM
Thanks a lot of for your replies, it's not so much that I don't want to play any old games, but just that I can't afford them, do not have any consoles, nuthing to let me play the old games. I just want some storyline please. While I thank you for the link that you have provided me with Tavrobel, it is not what I am seeking unfortunately.

To make my request a little more specific, could you perhaps point me to a fanfiction that basically walks you through FF7? (The pre-requiste for FA I heard.)

Also, I heard that the FF saga has many different story plots, for example FF7 is different from FF1? Is this true? Which is better? Thanks.

Hinky the Pickle
06-10-2006, 04:48 AM
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/game/197341.html

Scroll down to 'In-Depth FAQs' and then click 'Plot Analysis'.

This gives you an entire analysis of FFVII's plot, which should more than prepare you for Advent Children's storyline.

And yes, each and every Final Fantasy is set in a different world with a different storyline and different characters, with the exception of Final Fantasy X-2, which is a direct sequel to Final Fantasy X.

As for which storyline is the best, that's all just a matter of opinion really. On a personal level I think Final Fantasy IX had the best plot.

TheSpoonyBard
06-10-2006, 04:48 AM
The FFVII film, Advent Children, has a feature on the disc which takes you through the game's storyline using segments taken from the game itself. It's like playing the game, only without the fighting.

All the Final Fantasy games have separate characters and stories, with the exception of FFX and FFX-2. It's hard to say which is the best, they're all too different to compare.

Edit: Falsehead's Plot Analysis isn't all that great. You're better off sticking with the Game Script found on the same site or the DVD feature.

Tavrobel
06-10-2006, 05:48 AM
Thanks a lot of for your replies, it's not so much that I don't want to play any old games, but just that I can't afford them, do not have any consoles, nuthing to let me play the old games. I just want some storyline please. While I thank you for the link that you have provided me with Tavrobel, it is not what I am seeking unfortunately.

To make my request a little more specific, could you perhaps point me to a fanfiction that basically walks you through FF7? (The pre-requiste for FA I heard.)

Also, I heard that the FF saga has many different story plots, for example FF7 is different from FF1? Is this true? Which is better? Thanks.

EL OH EL
The first one was a joke, (just to show you what people can come up with) the second and third were a reference to that you can see which game might best appeal to you; to be able to see which one has what offered. They also give nice overviews of the game itself. The fourth I was completely serious about.

The FFs themselves are all part of the series, but from each other, they share only the same gameplay elements; they are all rpgs, clearly. There are no plot cross overs (worldly, universal, character wise, except one), and are essentially separate from each other. Yes, there are references from time to time, yet they are generally able to uphold an individual identity, while grouped together because they are a great series of games. They also share another quality; the ability to express emotion through storytelling.

And like everything evil in the world, each game has a sect of die-hard fanatic lunatics who hang on a game for every word and detail, and can tell you anything about it, or desperately cry out for a third installment... avoid these people. But really, it's up to you to decide which game you like the most, or decide is the best.

Also the first series of games (I to VI) are all downloadable on Emulator and ROM, but I would avoid asking for those at this site. I mention them to you, but I shall not discuss them any further. Check Google if you don't know what they are.

The FFVII film, Advent Children, has a feature on the disc which takes you through the game's storyline using segments taken from the game itself. It's like playing the game, only without the fighting.

Reminisence of FFVII, which is what is offered on the AC disc, also switches certain parts of the game around, as in, order-wise. For instance, one thing you will find in sequence of the game, will be shown at a different part of the Reminisence. It's still very well done, and should fill you in on most of the details of the plot. It's not that it leaves anything out, it's just that it (purposely) mixes certain things up in order to elaborate.

McLovin'
06-10-2006, 09:57 PM
Or you could go here:

http://www.freewebs.com/sephirothscage/stories.htm

or

http://www.ffcompendium.com/h/story.shtml

TOP ONE IS BETTER :p

BustaMo
06-11-2006, 02:52 AM
I recommend playing the older games. The stories you are desiring to learn about are so much better when you experience them first hand by going through the game. Seriously, the image that Tavrobel posted is true. Get your experience out and into the old games, not just the newer ones. One thing that draws me into the FF's so much is the story and plot. I could not care less about what the graphics look like. PLAY THE OLD GAMES! You won't regret it.

Darth Cid
06-11-2006, 04:31 AM
I recommend playing the older games. The stories you are desiring to learn about are so much better when you experience them first hand by going through the game. Seriously, the image that Tavrobel posted is true. Get your experience out and into the old games, not just the newer ones. One thing that draws me into the FF's so much is the story and plot. I could not care less about what the graphics look like. PLAY THE OLD GAMES! You won't regret it.

Zidane: I completely concur to this.

Dell
06-11-2006, 05:44 AM
Play the old game, the old game conquer 3D game in every aspect except Graphic and Sound.

Fantasy Fan
06-11-2006, 04:56 PM
you could start with any game. But you don't really need to play a game to understand AC. But playing VII would help. ;)