PDA

View Full Version : Is This Thee RPG?

a nirvana fan
06-10-2006, 01:46 PM
As far as im concerned, the Final Fantasy series is the ultimate RPG series ever. Period.

Can you think of another RPG series that beats FF?

If you can find a better game, I will eat my hair(i have lots)

Elpizo
06-10-2006, 01:50 PM
Well, Golden Sun and Golden Sun II: The lost age for the GBA beat some FF's, but not all of them.
Those two games are just fantastic, to be GBA games, such great music, gfx and storyline. Character development isn't really there but it doesn't feel like needed.

Then again, this whole question comes down on Personal opinion again, so yeah...

NeoCracker
06-10-2006, 02:51 PM
I say Xenosaga series beats FF, and its only going to be 3 games, 4 if you count pied piper or something.

Also wild arms 2 and 4 almost beat it out.

TheSpoonyBard
06-10-2006, 03:03 PM
Grandia
Star Ocean
Breath of Fire

All are great series, and there are plenty more.

Fantasy Fan
06-10-2006, 04:19 PM
Mario and Luigi :D

Cruise Control
06-10-2006, 04:22 PM
Lufia (only the first 2)

Orophin
06-10-2006, 04:44 PM
Did you at least try some other RPG? FF is really good but you miss some other really goods games if you only play FF.

My 3 favorites RPG are FF titles but the other RPGs are better than the other FFs. XenoSaga, Tales, Mana (I only liked Secret of Mana but well... this game rock!) are better than most of FF games, but not all.

Dell
06-10-2006, 05:12 PM
As far as I know, FF have the most sales among all RPG.
Other than FF, I think Tales and Suikoden.

BustaMo
06-10-2006, 05:33 PM
IMO, Final Fantasy is the best series ever. It could be argued by some fans though of RPG's that Dragon Quest/Warrior is a top candidate for the RPG dominator, but personally, I have to go with the FF's. No doubt in my mind.

Yuffie514
06-10-2006, 10:17 PM
well, any Final Fantasy game can be overwhelmed by another game from a different title. but why are the ancient classics being robbed of their glory??? Final Fantasy is the precursor/mother of Role-Playing games. respect the elderly...

EDIT: alright then, slash off precursor and replace with legacy. Dragon Quest may be older, but i believe that Final Fantasy is the most influential.

Behold the Void
06-11-2006, 12:04 AM
Final Fantasy has several very strong titles, and given the amount of Final Fantasy games in existence, you could say it wins on sheer volume. However, there are many other great RPGs that are not Final Fantasy, certainly many that trump even the greatest of the Final Fantasy series. If you're going by series, yes, Final Fantasy wins, again, just due to the sheer volume and quality. But overall, there are many RPGs that are just better than what any Final Fantasy has to offer.

Oh, and as I recall Dragon Quest came before Final Fantasy, so Final Fantasy is not the precursor to other RPGs.

Dignified Pauper
06-11-2006, 01:18 AM
As far as I know, FF have the most sales among all RPG.
Other than FF, I think Tales and Suikoden.

Dragon Quest always sells much better in Japan.

Final Fantasy always sells much better in America.

Zeromus_X
06-11-2006, 01:23 AM
tri-Ace games, Tales series, and Dragon Quest can beat FF anyday, I'd say. That doesn't mean FF doesn't hold a place in my heart, it just means I don't think it's the ultiimate RPG series.

Darth Cid
06-11-2006, 02:23 AM
Zidane: I think Final Fantasy is the superior series myself. With Star Ocean and Chrono Trigger tied for second.

DeathKnight
06-11-2006, 02:36 AM
As far as im concerned, the Final Fantasy series is the ultimate RPG series ever. Period.

Zelda

Darth Cid
06-11-2006, 02:41 AM

Zelda

Zidane: A good agruement though some consider LoZ an action adventure, not an RPG, I don't understand the difference but to each their own.

Cruise Control
06-11-2006, 02:51 AM
There was a Zelda RPG. It was the ownzorz.

Darth Cid
06-11-2006, 02:56 AM
Zidane: I'm sure it was, indeed, LoZ rarely disappoints.

Mirage
06-11-2006, 03:25 AM
I never got the fascination with Zelda, really.

Hawkeye
06-11-2006, 04:03 AM
EARTHBOUND.

black orb
06-11-2006, 04:12 AM
>>> Suikoden, Tales and Dragon Quest series..

I dont know if they beat FF or not..

Erdrick Holmes
06-11-2006, 04:39 AM
Phantasy Star
Suikoden
Shining Force
Dragon Quest
Star Ocean
Super Mario RPG *deep breath*
Crystails
Zelda
Skies of Arcadia
Ys
Xenogears
Chrono Trigger
Star Wars Knights of the old Republic
Phantasy Star Online

Shoeberto
06-11-2006, 05:20 AM
Fallout
Dungeons and Dragons (pen and paper)

Behold the Void
06-11-2006, 05:23 AM

Hsu hits the nail on the head. D&D will always be infinitely superior to any video game in terms of role-playing.

Well, if done right, anyway.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-11-2006, 05:27 AM
Good thing I don't care about roleplaying in RPGs.

DoaJ
06-11-2006, 06:30 AM
Hmmmsa.....
Well, I'd say Wild Arms is better, but I only like the orig. Wild Arms more. The other ones are great, but not FF great.
Wild Arms 1
FF Series (or parts)
Rest of Wild Arms

Dragoon Kain
06-11-2006, 08:16 AM
the shadow hearts series rapes the final fantasy series!!!

NeoCracker
06-11-2006, 08:36 AM

Hsu hits the nail on the head. D&D will always be infinitely superior to any video game in terms of role-playing.

Havn't played a good game of D & D for a while now.

Rostum
06-11-2006, 08:41 AM
Valkyrie Profile is a very decent RPG. It's well directed, has some really stunning music, the voice overs are a bit much but they are okay, graphics are really nice. I'm yet to get very deep into the story and characters, but from what I have played so far, it seems to be very good.

Edit: Just playing through Vagrant Story again, man that has a very awesome introduction. This is also a very decent game.

Markus. D
06-11-2006, 09:20 AM
Ragnarok Online, playing many roles, in fact.... think of one, and you got it.

oddler
06-11-2006, 11:43 AM

Havn't played a good game of D & D for a while now.

Totally agreed. Man, I loved some of that.

Dreddz
06-11-2006, 12:10 PM
No, Final Fantasy is the best RPG series.

Madame Adequate
06-11-2006, 01:58 PM
Suikoden is the only one which I can honestly say I like more. But Fallout comes pretty goddamn close.

As for PnP, D&D is very important but I like BESM more. And Paranoia is just way fun.

Gnostic Yevon
06-11-2006, 03:42 PM
Series-wise FF is best (meaning that if I picked up a random FF I have a better chance of enjoying it than a random game of another series). However, Suikoden III & V pwn most FF post 7, IV being a horribly executed game, yet a good idea. Grandia II is good, but I've heard bad things about III. Xenosaga wasn't much fun -- it was mostly movie with very little gameplay.

About the only thing FF has going for it right now is consistency. They've never yet had a mainline game that made you think that they were on crack or something similar. With other series, you may get one or two great games, then another 3-4 that just suck. It's a good "brand name".

KentaRawr!
06-11-2006, 06:22 PM
Zelda so isn't an rpg, but that's beside the point. :p

There are certainly games that beat the Final Fantasy games. Like the Chrono Games, XenoGears, XenoSaga, Star Ocean, etc.. Of course, it is a matter of opinion.

TurkSlayer
06-11-2006, 06:38 PM
Well, if we are referring to the whole series, I'd say that there are definitely better games than say FFIV and V. Xenogears and Star Ocean are a couple of these. Still, I don't think these games beat the entire series, just much of it.

For all who said Suikoden: Please don't tell me your counting IV in that. That is the most mediocre game I've ever played.

Elite Lord Sigma
06-11-2006, 06:40 PM
Final Fantasy is the best RPG series in my opinion, but other good series that I like are Skies of Arcadia (unfortunately, I have the GCN version where they totally butchered the orchestrated soundtrack) and Pokémon.

Crossblades
06-11-2006, 06:48 PM
IMO The Tales series, the Fire Emblem series, and the Chrono series can compete with FF

Rengori
06-12-2006, 06:38 AM
Disgaea will always own FF in my heart. DQVIII beats all the new FFs in a heartbeat excluding IX. And Fire Emblem is a pretty big contender too.

DeathKnight
06-12-2006, 08:00 AM
Final Fantasy is the best RPG series in my opinion, but other good series that I like are Skies of Arcadia (unfortunately, I have the GCN version where they totally butchered the orchestrated soundtrack) and Pokémon.

Skies Of Arcadia is a masterpiece, love that game to death! Luckily I have the Dreamcast version:p .

I wish they'd make sequels for Skies Of Arcadia for the PS3 :drool: with new characters??? OMFG!

eden knight
06-12-2006, 10:12 AM

No

Carmilla
06-12-2006, 03:33 PM
Final Fantasy is the best rpg series on the planet.

It has been going strong since 1990 all over the world. Dragon Quest might sell more in Japan but when you factor in the world, US in particular, than DQ doesnt do half as well.

It has had two major motion pictures and spin off games that have done extremely well and have made many 'best ever' lists... ex: Final Fantasy Tactics and Kingdom Hearts. And FF7 - Advent Children hit #1 as the best selling movie on Amazon.

And Final Fantasy is a system seller. A huge part of PS1 was FF7. And so far, a huge part of the PS3s wow factor is FF13.
No one says 'im buying a PS3 for Suikoden 6.' :choc2:

Eiko Guy
06-12-2006, 11:42 PM
grandia 2 and extreme blew my mind i dont like any ff gamemore than those 2

Germ Hamee
06-13-2006, 10:39 AM
Final Fantasy is definitely enjoyable. It, however, seldom if ever "wow"s me unless we're talking about the visual factor.

Chrono "wow"ed the crap out of me. The fact that Chrono Break never went anywhere and there was a huge outbreak of FF games (all around the time of the FF movie flop) leaves me just a little bit resentful of the Final Fantasy series. Alas, my wonderful Chrono will be forever forgotten, so I guess I'll have to settle for the endless Final Fantasy's in my future.

~SapphireStar~
06-13-2006, 12:02 PM
I guess Grandia, Shadow Hearts and the Legend of Legaia series.

boys from the dwarf
06-18-2006, 09:10 AM
FF may not be everyones favourite but it is almost definetly the most succesful in the world for RPGs or at least one of the most successful. FF is my favourite though.

look_out_below
06-19-2006, 03:05 AM
I really enjoyed an RPG series from the early 1990s late 80s called Lands of Lore. Fun games and some good graphics considering when they were made.

Jessweeee♪
06-23-2006, 04:27 AM
FFXIII looks like a really awesome game. As long as the ps3 doesn't flop....
Anyway, the only RPG I liked better was Threads of Fate.
Of course, many would disagree with me. The few who have played it would say that it was the worst RPG to ever be seen by mankind, but it's my favorite game. There's a lot of good RPG games, but other than Threads of Fate, FF is my favorite.