PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo

The Fat Bioware Nerd
06-11-2006, 03:44 PM
Has anybody here noticed that ever since they went their separate ways back in the mid 90's Nintendo hasn't had a good a RPG series? I think they tried to replace Final Fantasy with Paper Mario...I like the Paper Mario games they're fun to play but they're too silly and cartoonish to be taken seriously as RPGs. Meaning a lot of people going to call the Paper Mario series a joke and they won't consider those games as RPGs because there's no dramatic storylines or character death.

Roto13
06-11-2006, 03:55 PM
Nintendo's RPG scene is less than healthy. Aside from Skies of Arcadia, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Tales of Symphonia, and (to a lesser extent) Baten Kaitos, there's really nothing all that jaw-dropping.

By the way, Paper Mario 2 is better than 90% of the RPGs out this season generation (or... last generation. Whatever). The fact that the story is almost non-existant is a testament to how great the gameplay is. It's an RPG with a bad story, and it's still great to play.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
06-11-2006, 03:56 PM
wut about the mario and lugi games?

XxSephirothxX
06-11-2006, 03:58 PM
Nintendo has struggled with third party support since the N64 days, and it's true they haven't had many good RPGs, but there have been a few shining stars, like Paper Mario. I think most people buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games--at least, I do. As long as there's Zelda, I don't really care about anything else, though that's not to say there aren't other Nintendo games I enjoy. :p

Roto13
06-11-2006, 04:00 PM
I was referring only to the Game Cube in my post. The DS/GBA seems to be a bit healthier, with some nice 2-D RPGs like Golden Sun and Mario and Luigi. Don't forget that Final Fantasy III is coming out for DS, too!

Mirage
06-11-2006, 04:26 PM
Yeah, the cube really need a few more RPGs :(.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
06-11-2006, 05:15 PM
There are two RPGs that are going to be released on the GameCube soon Super Paper Mario and Baten Kaitos : Origins. The reason why I brought this issue up is because as of right now there are only three RPGs in the works for the Nintendo Wii Camelot RPG, Marvel : Ultimate Alliance, and an untitled RPG from Namco. Other RPGs might be released someday after the Nintendo Wii's launch but I doubt it.*Sigh*:(

Roto13
06-11-2006, 05:46 PM
Well, none of those are confirmed to be launch games, but why do you think that will be the end of RPGs for the Wii?

By the way, the new Paper Mario is a platformer.

Master Quan
06-11-2006, 05:51 PM
It has just occured to me that I don't own any games for a Nintendo console that aren't Nintendo exclusive.

Elite Lord Sigma
06-11-2006, 06:12 PM
There are two RPGs that are going to be released on the GameCube soon Super Paper Mario and Baten Kaitos : Origins. The reason why I brought this issue up is because as of right now there are only three RPGs in the works for the Nintendo Wii Camelot RPG, Marvel : Ultimate Alliance, and an untitled RPG from Namco. Other RPGs might be released someday after the Nintendo Wii's launch but I doubt it.*Sigh*:(

EDIT: Aside from what you've said, according to GameSpot, you've forgotten about Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors (that was a mouthful), Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers (What's with all the lengthy titles!?), and a working title for Fire Emblem.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
06-11-2006, 06:21 PM
Well like Azar said Nintendo has been struggling with third party support since the Nintendo 64 so odds are they will probaby have a hard time getting developers to make RPGs for them. I know the games I mentioned are not confirmed for launch but when those games do come out they will probaby be the only RPGs available for the Nintendo Wii...I could be wrong though only time will tell. By the way I heard Super Paper Mario will have RPG elements.

Roto13
06-11-2006, 06:25 PM
Nintendo seems to be doing things really differently this time. Many people believe that it will outsell the PS3 and Xbox 360. I don't think they'll have as much trouble finding 3rd party support this time around.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
06-11-2006, 06:58 PM
I don't think this will happen but what I'd like to see is Bioware developing a RPG for the Nintendo Wii, that would be AWESOME!!!:D Because Bioware creates great RPGs they developed Star Wars : Knights of the Old Republic and Jade Empire those two games are both critically acclaimed RPG titles. But odds are Bioware is too busy developing RPGs for the XBox 360.*Sigh*:(

JKTrix
06-11-2006, 11:55 PM
Whoa! 'Camelot RPG' on the Wii!? GOLDEN SUN!? /geekout

As roto mentioned, there are tons of RPGs on their handheld systems. The GC did have quite a few RPGs, but only very few high profile ones and even fewer exclusives. Did anyone else play Lost Kingdoms?

More and more games are having 'RPG elements' now, so there are some alternatives to a 'straight' RPG

Roto13
06-12-2006, 12:10 AM
Did anyone else play Lost Kingdoms?
I did, but I didn't think it was that good.

Yuffie514
06-12-2006, 12:24 AM
The Legend of Zelda is the only adventure/RPG i'd bother to buy. besides that, it's nice that Square-Enix is paying homage to Nintendo with some of their Final Fantasy franchises...

Del Murder
06-12-2006, 02:11 AM
The Mario & Luigi/Paper Mario stuff is pretty good, but otherwise not much there. It's why I went with PS2 way back when.

Alixsar
06-12-2006, 03:03 AM
The Mario & Luigi/Paper Mario stuff is pretty good, but otherwise not much there. It's why I went with PS2 way back when.

Same here. I had to turn my back on Zelda to do it, but at the time it was the better decision. Back in 2001, I could either have a Cube and wait two years for Wind Waker or get a PS2 and immediately start playing Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid 2, Grand Theft Auto 3, and Final Fantasy X.

Forget RPGs, the Cube in general doesn't have as many good games on it as a whole when compared to the PS2. On the positive side of things, the games that ARE good are incredible. And Twilight Princess will probably be the best game ever made, so the overall lack of quality titles will make it okay.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
06-12-2006, 06:17 AM
Have you guys ever played Virtua Quest? It's a fighting RPG on the GameCube I haven't but judging by the scores it received from IGN and GameSpot it's a pretty mediocre game. I didn't even know about that game until I did some research about RPG titles for the Nintendo Wii.

Roto13
06-12-2006, 02:39 PM
I know a bit about it. I think it has Virtua Fighter characters in it.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
06-12-2006, 10:09 PM
Is anyone here going to buy the new Baten Kaitos game? Despite the fact that Namco decided to pull a George Lucas on everyone and turn the second game into a prequel instead of a sequel?

Roto13
06-12-2006, 11:01 PM
Well, I think a sequel wouldn't have had the same charms, since the world isn't made of floating islands any more. I'll probably pick it up. I liked Baten Kaitos 1.

edczxcvbnm
06-12-2006, 11:12 PM
Tales of Symphonia is better than every RPG released so far this generation and it is on the Cube. It was ported to the PS2 but I don't think it has seen release on the PS2 outside of Japan.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
06-13-2006, 12:04 AM
I've been meaning to ask you guys how is Animal Crossing : Wild World a RPG? When I saw the X-Play video game award show one of the nominees for the "Best RPG Of The Year" was Animal Crossing : Wild World. The reason why I'm asking this question is because when most RPGs have a silent main character they have a supporting cast to bring that character to life...Wild World doesn't have that.

Roto13
06-13-2006, 12:57 AM
It's technically an RPG in the purest definition of the world. You play a role. I don't consider it one. I consider it a... simulation.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
06-13-2006, 03:51 AM
I heard somewhere that a Lords Of The Ring RPG title and a King Arthur RPG title were developed is it true? And if so were these two RPG titles released on the GameCube?

TheAbominatrix
06-13-2006, 04:18 AM
Lord of the Rings: The Third Age was a terrible travesty from such beautiful premise. It was released on all consoles, GameCube included. I dunno about the King Arthur thing, look it up on wiki or something. And dont waste your time with TTA.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
06-13-2006, 06:43 AM
Have you guys ever played Evolution Worlds? I thought about buying it a while back...But I heard that it was a piece of /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif so I decided to not waste my time and my money by buying a half-assed developed game.

Chris
06-13-2006, 12:54 PM
Lord of the Rings: The Third Age was a terrible travesty from such beautiful premise. It was released on all consoles, GameCube included. I dunno about the King Arthur thing, look it up on wiki or something. And dont waste your time with TTA.
You said it sister! They raped it. King Arthur was even worse. Trust me, do not pick up this game. Nintendo have had some pretty cool RPGs, few, but great.

Roto13
06-13-2006, 07:54 PM
Have you guys ever played Evolution Worlds? I thought about buying it a while back...But I heard that it was a piece of /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif so I decided to not waste my time and my money by buying a half-assed developed game.
It's pretty /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gifty. >_>

DJZen
06-13-2006, 09:02 PM
*cough*Fire Emblem*cough*

Elite Lord Sigma
06-13-2006, 10:25 PM
It's pretty /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gifty. >_>

It was decent when I played. But Skies of Arcadia: Legends owned the crap out of it.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
06-13-2006, 11:48 PM
I heard the music in the DreamCast version of Skies Of Arcadia was great and Nintendo butchered the music when they re-released Skies Of Arcadia on the GameCube. I never never played the DreamCast version before but I think Nintendo did butcher the music because the music is fucking horrible!!!:mad:

Fire_Emblem776
06-15-2006, 12:35 AM
*cough*Fire Emblem*cough*

THANK YOU!

The Fat Bioware Nerd
06-15-2006, 08:24 PM
Have you ever played Phantasy Star Online Episode 1 & 2 on the GameCube? I haven't because I don't think it's worth it to pay an online fee just to play a Japanese RPG when you can play other better offline Japanese RPG titles for free!

Clouded Sky
06-15-2006, 08:48 PM
I quite liked PSO. Granted, I always had my brother to play it with. Never did the whole online thing. Four players was quite fun too, but with four going at once the game experiences some lag. Gah. Apparently you can play PSO on your computer for free these days. But anyway...

The GameCube does definitely lack numbers in the RPG category. That's why I ended up buying a PS2 like some of you others.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
06-15-2006, 11:09 PM
I did some research on Gamespot.Com and I found out that the selection of RPG titles on the Nintendo 64 is even smaller! There are only four RPG titles that were officially released in the U.S. for the Nintendo 64 console Quest 64, Harvest Moon 64, Aidyn Chronicles : The First Mage, and Paper Mario.