PDA

View Full Version : Acronym pronunciationationation

Spiffing Cheese
06-11-2006, 05:25 PM
Did I spell "acronym" right? I don't know if I can spell "acronym". I really hope I can. :excited:

Anyway, that is BESIDE THE POINT. The point is:

If you see an internet acronym or some sort of company acronym or food acronym or book or series acronym or any sort of acronym, really, do you pronounce it the way it would be if it was a normal word, or do you say the letters of it? Like, do you say "lol" or do you say "el oh el" in your head? Or do you say "LotR" "lot-rrrr" or do you say "el oh tee ar"? OR "rofl"? Do you say it "roffle" or "ar oh eff el"? Let us consider "wtf"! Is it "wutuf" or "double you tee ef"?

I really think you get the point now, or at least I hope you do.

:excited:

Tavrobel
06-11-2006, 05:30 PM
Yew speeled ti fin.
IRL I say it out in full, but when typing it out, I use the acronym.
Lawlerstakes, roflcopter! are the only things I say as they shouyld be said.

Alive-Cat
06-11-2006, 05:33 PM
I always read it how it's pronounced. So rofl is "Rofle" and lol is "lol".
Or "lul".
Or "lawl".
Or if you're going to get REALLY technical on me, it's "LAL".

Rye
06-11-2006, 05:34 PM
All the time. lol is lawl, rofl is roffle, lmao is lah-mow, lmfao is luh-fuh-meow even though that makes no sense, etc.

Spiffing Cheese
06-11-2006, 05:36 PM
All the time. lol is lawl, rofl is roffle, lmao is lah-mow, lmfao is luh-fuh-meow even though that makes no sense, etc.

That made me giggle. *giggles*

Alive-Cat
06-11-2006, 05:37 PM
Hmmm, usually with words like "lmao" or "lmfao" I just say gibberish in my head.

rubah
06-11-2006, 06:45 PM
There is a difference between acronyms and. . . whatever they aren't. I forget which one an acronym is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acronym

Usually I'll say the words. except for lawl. saying 'laugh out loud' is dumber than carpetsmurfing.

jk is also dumb to say 'JAY KAY JAY KAY' like the idiots at school did for a while, being trendwhores.

RPJesus
06-11-2006, 07:21 PM
It depends. Like 'lol' is just 'lol' and 'rofl' is just 'rofl', but 'wtf' is 'double u tee ef'. Most things in capitals are like wtf- you just say the letters.

Things become their own stuff. Because, yeah, it's moronic to actually say 'laugh out loud'. It's become it's own word. It doesn't really matter where it comes from.

Zeldy
06-11-2006, 07:26 PM
I say Lmao as "El-em-ay-oh" I read "wtf" as what it stands for, and not "double-you-tee-eff"

Vincent, Thunder God
06-11-2006, 07:32 PM
When I say an acronym I usually spell it out. I can't pronounce random acronyms off-hand, so spelling it out makes more sense. There are some exceptions. If I start hearing people pronounce an acronym literally, I usually start as well: eg. MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) or jpeg (picture file).

Levian
06-11-2006, 08:43 PM
I really don't say any acronyms out loud, especially not English ones anyway. Problem solved. :cool:

Mo-Nercy
06-12-2006, 07:49 AM
Let us consider "wtf"! Is it "wutuf" or "double you tee ef"?
Hah. Wutuf. That really made me el oh el.

Meat Puppet
06-12-2006, 09:18 AM
I thought that lol was actually a word for like, 2 years. Because of that I pronounce it (in my head) as it is written. The only other one I can remember reading like that is asl which I read as "sale". With most other acronyms I read them either by what they stand for or letter-by-letter; example: wtf = what the fuck and RSL = R-S-L.
http://www.willy-crista.nl/smurf/images/smurfen/kleine%20smurf.gif

Captain Maxx Power
06-12-2006, 10:54 AM
I usually say the whole phrase that the letters are representing, as saying the individual letters can sometimes take as long, or in some extreme cases longer, than just saying the whole thing.

Jess
06-12-2006, 11:52 AM
When saying "wtf" I'll just say "what the smurf" but for "rofl" I'll say "roffle" or "rofflecopter". For 'lol' I tend to just laugh, but for "lmao" it would have to be "el-ay-mayo!" I don't really say these things, though. :shifty:

Madame Adequate
06-12-2006, 12:50 PM
It depends not only on the acronym, but on what effect I want in saying it. One exception is 'ROFL', which I always say as 'roffle' (Or if I'm being sarcasmic, 'roffel') but mostly I vary. 'loll' and 'el oh el' both get said regularly, for example.

Of course if one can't conveniently be pronounced I go for the letters.

Loony BoB
06-12-2006, 01:05 PM
I don't use most of the acronyms mentioned anyway. I say "Haha." or "*larf*" or "*laughs*" or something (although when I read other people's posts, I read them as el-oh-el and roffle and roffle-mayo). As for LotR, I say Lord of the Rings. NASA is certainly nassah. JPEG is jay-peg though.

Psychotic
06-12-2006, 10:21 PM
There is a difference between acronyms and. . . whatever they aren't. I forget which one an acronym is.You say an acronym, like NATO or NASA, and you spell out an initialism, like EoFF or YMCA.

Oh wikipedia already goes into that. Well, that renders my one special skill redundant.