PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for posting my work without my permission. It's an honor.

KentaRawr!
06-13-2006, 12:06 AM
If someone were to show something you made off without your permission, how would you feel about it? And how would you react? I would contact them about it, and request that they stop showing off my work without my permission.

What would YOU do?

Edit: Due to confusion, I am editing the whole scenario which I posted later in the topic into the first post. Here it is:

You made a painting, and after you scanned it, you put a little tag that had your name on it onto a not so important part of the picture. You then post it on a popular web page for all to see. Then, Eric Bauman thought the picture was funny, so he edited your name out, replaces it with "This image is hosted on Ebaums World", and then hosted it on his website which gets him lots of money.

Again, I ask: What would YOU do?

Hawkeye
06-13-2006, 12:13 AM
Eric Bauman, anyone?

Edit- Oh, there's a answer for that too.

Miriel
06-13-2006, 12:17 AM
It depends who it was. If it was a major publication. I would sue them! Sue them and hit them with a stick! But no major publication would ever do that cause that would be stupid.

If it were another "professional" artist showing off my work as though it were their's, I would contact them and tell them to remove all my work or I'll sue them! Sue them and hit them with a stick!

If it's just some kid on an online forum or something, I'd just send them an email asking them to stop doing that.

Everything becomes murkier if there is money involved. If another photographer is using my images to promote his/her own business without my permission, then maybe bringing in a lawyer is necessary. Otherwise, I wouldn't make a huge deal out of it. It's kinda flattering in a very rude sorta way.

Tavrobel
06-13-2006, 12:19 AM
I would sue them! Sue them and hit them with a stick!

Victory.

Loony BoB
06-13-2006, 12:23 AM
If they're making decent money out of it, then I'd probably get money out of it, one way or another.

If they aren't, and they give me recognition, then I have no reason to have any problem unless it's in some way embarrassing, in which case I'd ask them politely to take it down.

EDIT: If it included a secret of some sort then I'd demand they take it down straight away, though, and they'd lose a chunk of my trust.

EDIT: And if they don't give recognition then I'd request they do so. If they claim it's theirs, I'd make it known to some kind of authority that they are saying my work is their own, and request that they not simply remove it, but make some kind of note in the thread (or whatever else it was published in) stating that the works were in fact mine, as I wouldn't want people to be under the impression that my works belonged to anyone but myself.

Rase
06-13-2006, 12:24 AM
It depends. Are they just showing off my work without my permission (as in, "Look at this guys stuff, it's awesome"), or are they also claiming it to be their's?

KentaRawr!
06-13-2006, 12:28 AM
Well, the topic was formed out of my anger for Eric Bauman, so assume the following:

You made a painting, and after you scanned it, you put a little tag that had your name on it onto a not so important part of the picture. You then post it on a popular web page for all to see. Then, Eric Bauman thought the picture was funny, so he edited your name out, replaces it with "This image is hosted on Ebaums World", and then hosted it on his website which gets him lots of money. :tongue:

Meat Puppet
06-13-2006, 12:42 AM
I don't think anyone would ever want to steal one of my paintings. I'd feel honored if it ever actually happened.

Levian
06-13-2006, 12:44 AM
All my work is cursed so I wouldn't worry all that much.

Rye
06-13-2006, 12:45 AM
If they were claiming it as their own, I'd be pissed. But if they were showcasing it on their site due to admiration, I'd be happy. :)

Renmiri
06-13-2006, 12:47 AM
It happened to me already. Someone posted my work without crediting me. I contacted the guy and he added my name as author. No hard feelings.

Of course it was just an article I did for a non-profit site and the guy who used it was also posting in another non-profit site. If there was money involved you bet I would sue!

Yamaneko
06-13-2006, 12:49 AM
Fair usage, kids. That's how the news publications get away with it.

Tavrobel
06-13-2006, 12:55 AM
It's the sad fact of the world we live in. People have something else that someone else needs, and trade is born. Then you get theft.

Fopr me, it depends on the intentions and actual use in a situation, but I generally look down and scowl upon it, without proper credit.

DarknessFromAbove
06-13-2006, 01:00 AM
I highly doubt that anybody would want to steal anything I create, but if they did, I would contact them and ask to be given credit, just in case it is good, and I didn't notice ^_^

rubah
06-13-2006, 01:01 AM
I'd change the image at that url to be a guy having sex with a sheep or ram or similar farm animal.

(actually I just made an image that mocked them for direct linking)

KentaRawr!
06-13-2006, 01:06 AM
I'd change the image at that url to be a guy having sex with a sheep or ram or similar farm animal.

What if they hosted the image on their own website?

jesteranimefreak
06-13-2006, 01:09 AM
I have a strict policy: Disclaim it, take it off, or pay in a lawsuit. If you use it, disclaim it. If I ask you to take it off, do so. If you persist I send a lawsuit. End of Story.

Yamaneko
06-13-2006, 01:17 AM
Would you really go to the trouble of a lawsuit, especially if your work isn't for professional purposes?

rubah
06-13-2006, 01:20 AM

What if they hosted the image on their own website?
Then they're smart enough to not be mocked. and I'd email them. But I was referring to a conversation we had in #eoff a couple of hours ago.

eestlinc
06-13-2006, 01:29 AM
on topic, the great Hungarian composer György Ligeti died today at age 83. He was most famous for his compositions <i>Atmospheres</i>, <i>Lux Aeterna</i>, and <i>Requiem</i> that were used without his permission by Stanley Kubrick in the soundtrack to the film <i>2001: A Space Odyssey</i>. (Ligeti ended up giving Kubrick permission to use his music in laer films such as <i>Eyes Wide Shut</i>.) So sometimes a little free publicity can go a long way, although I'm sure Ligeti would have been happy to get a small royalty check at the time.

Jess
06-13-2006, 01:35 AM
It'd depend on the situation. If they gave me credit for it, and it was something I wasn't embarrassed of then I really wouldn't mind. If they said it was their own work or were making a lot of money out of it I'd contact them and discuss my share! :mad2:

edczxcvbnm
06-13-2006, 02:00 AM
If the person is making money off of it I would allow them to use it as long as they continue to pay me x number of $$$ every time the image is viewed. They don't like it then they can take it down and pay me even more $$$ for it's use. If some is using it as a signature on a web board then I probably would not care. I didn't make my signature and Kubo Tite ain't suing me.

nik0tine
06-13-2006, 02:05 AM
I was told that back in the baroque era having another composer copy your music and use it as their own was one of the highest forms of flattery. If someone were to use one of my melodies, I'd be quite happy, because it meant that someone else valued my work. If they were making money, I'd probably sue them though, because I'd rather make the money if I had the chance. /sellout

Slade
06-13-2006, 02:06 AM
I'd probably kill them. That's if they were giving people copies or making money off of it. If they were just showing some people saying 'Look at this, its really awsome!' or whatever then it wouldn't bother me......free advertising :D

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-13-2006, 02:08 AM
Screw Eric Bauman.

Dignified Pauper
06-13-2006, 03:06 AM
civil law suit, unless they gave me credit

Madame Adequate
06-13-2006, 03:16 AM
You didn't specify whether they plagiarized or merely showed it. The former? Hit them with threats of violence/lawyers. The latter? Be flattered.

fire_of_avalon
06-13-2006, 03:24 AM
Kick ass, probably.

Reine
06-13-2006, 04:31 AM
If someone stole my lame art, or even worse, my stories, and claimed them as their own, I would be pissed off beyond beleif.

Strider
06-13-2006, 04:48 AM
I take great pride in my work, so I'd be pretty pissed.

Neron
06-13-2006, 04:49 AM
hmm..isnt that against the law or..sumtin..like Copyright?. :p

KentaRawr!
06-13-2006, 05:25 AM
I suppose posting the entire scenario in the middle of the first page wasn't a good idea. :p I've edited the entire scenario into my first post due to slight confusion.

Miriel
06-13-2006, 08:43 AM
Would you really go to the trouble of a lawsuit, especially if your work isn't for professional purposes?
Heeeck no.

Why bother? If someone took one of my photos and put it on DeviantArt, I would never ever ever bother with a lawsuit. If a professional photographer took my photos and put it on their website pretending that it was their work (and this isn't uncommon) then yes, I'd threaten them with lawyers. Threaten. I can't imagine anyone in their right mind wouldn't take those photos off right away just from the mention of a lawyer.

I know photographers who have had their entire websites ripped and copied. Including the copyright tags! It's like Stupid Criminals meets the internet.

Silly goobers.

Madame Adequate
06-13-2006, 12:41 PM
I suppose posting the entire scenario in the middle of the first page wasn't a good idea. :p I've edited the entire scenario into my first post due to slight confusion.

K then I would threaten with the lawyers and whatnot.

Yuffie514
06-14-2006, 12:46 AM
contact them and then ask them to remove it. if they posted it on a website that is not their own, PM to the admin. last follow-up will most likely be a lawsuit. i don't have to take it out like an animal and make threats.