PDA

View Full Version : PS3 to replace the PC? Nintendo not being innovative? WHAT?

KentaRawr!
06-13-2006, 05:46 AM
http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/pc-gaming/sony-pc-dead-nintendo-for-kids-we-innovate-k-179882.php

Note: Since alot of things in the quote are pictures, some things will be hard to make out. If you are at all confused, I recommend the link above, because I am too lazy. :p

Warning! Translation alert! In two separate interviews with French and German media outlets, Sony execs Richard Brunois and Phil Harrison did the competition slam dance, were translated into a funny language, then magically translated back into English. Okay, we're willing to bet that the Director of Communications for Sony Computer Entertainment France actually does speak French, so that's regrettably only one possible translation error.

So, on to the highlights. On Wii, Nintendo's target markets and it's innovative Wii controller, Brunois had the following to say:
With titles like Red Steel on Wii, Nintendo seems nevertheless to want less and less [association] with children. One said the same thing on Gamecube and finally, they are nevertheless children, in very great majority, who bought. But the very great majority remains children nevertheless.

You do not feel that that can evolve/move with Wii?
With what I saw, frankly, not.

As well as:
It is not because we saw Nintendo announcing this functionality that in six months Sony immediately started to develop something. In six months, it is impossible; this kind of project takes years.

Okay, I'm willing to also buy that. So why did some developers have to allegedly retrofit their original control schemes to adapt to the gyro wizardry of the PS3 controller, while others were completely oblivious to its very existence? It is a mystery.

Now, onto Phil Harrison and how he feels about the best gaming platform ever, the PC.
Besides defending the PS3, Harrison took time to evangelize the device, which will launch worldwide this November. In particular he said the Linux-based operating system on the console's hard drive will have enough processing power and non-gaming functionalities to render traditional PCs--most of which use a form of Microsoft's Windows OS--moot in the home. "We believe that the PS3 will be the place where our users play games, watch films, browse the Web, and use other [home] computer functions," said Harrison. "The PlayStation 3 is a computer. We do not need the PC."

Check out the original interviews (get your Google Translators ready!) for more info.

Entretiens constructeurs: Sony [via Codename Revolution]
Wir brauchen den PC nicht [via ActionTrip]

READ MORE: Nintendo, PS3, pc gaming, phil harrison, sony, wii

In case you missed the beginning of the quote, this was translated multiple times. :holmes:

Initiate discussion now!